George William Lasher, D.D., was born in Schenectady Co., N.Y., June 24, 1831. His father was a farmer of Holland ancestry, and his mother traced her descent from a member of the "Boston Tea Party." He was converted at Hamilton, in 1853, while attending the academy, and in the same year entered Madison University, graduating in 1857. In 1859 he graduated from Hamilton Theological Seminary, and at once entered upon the pastorate of the Baptist church of Norwalk, Conn., where, on September 30, he was ordained. In 1860 he married Miss Lizzie C., daughter of Dr. G. W. Eaton, president of Madison University. In July, 1861, he became chaplain of the 5th Conn. Regiment, and served for six months on the upper Potomac, when he became pastor of the Baptist church at Newburg, N.Y. From 1864 to 1868 he was pastor of the Portland Street church, Haverhill, Mass., from 1868 to 1872 of the First church of Trenton, N. J., and from 1872 to 1875 was corresponding secretary of the New York Baptist Education Society. In 18715 he made a tour of Europe,
Egypt, and Palestine, and in August, 1876, became editor and proprietor of the Journal and Messenger, at Cincinnati, O. In 1874 he received the degree of D. D. from Madison University. Dr. Lasher has a commanding presence, and is a vigorous and successful preacher and editor. The Journal and Messenger under his management has a wide influence in the Central West.
[From The Baptist Encyclopedia, 1881. - jrd]
Baptist History Homepage