Baptist History Homepage

Muhlenberg County Baptist Association (KY)
Histories of the Local Churches


[p. 123]

Drakesboro First Baptist Church
According to the associational earliest records, The Drakesboro Baptist Church was organized in the year 1889 and became a member of the Gas­per Rirver Association. The church became a member of the Daviess County Association in 1895 but remained only until 1897 when she returned to the first mentioned Association and remained with this body until 1907 when she bacame a mem­ber of the Muhlenberg County Baptist Association. Elder C. W. Freeman was pastor in 1895, and Elder F. G. Jones from the following year until his death in 1911.

The oldest local church record
[p. 124]
in existence today is a minute and roll book begun in 1902 The first business recorded concerned a "well published and an­nounced call meeting for the calling of a pastor, which resulted in the election of Bro. F. G. Jones by an overwhelming majority" (Quoted material in this history is taken from local church records )

Church members of the early 1900's recognized the churches responsibility for the soundnass of the doctorine preached from its pulpit. In November of 1902 the following resolution was passed and placed at the front of the minute book: "Resolved . . . that our church-house and pulpit shall not be used by any Baptist Preacher . . . unless he comes fully endorsed and thoroughly qualifity accord­ing to the practices and usages of the Missionary Baptist Denomination."

All these early minutes list as one of the first items of busi­ness an inquiry "as to the peace and fellowship of the church." This fellowship was evidently cemented by church discipline that was in­deed a reality in this period. On July 4, 1902, the church voted to withdraw fellowship from two of its members. Another similar case was "laid over until the next meeting. ".Then in February 1903, the motion was made and carried to accept this wayward member's "Acknowledgement and restore him back into full fellowship."

Church records contain a deed entered into on February 22, 1907, by which the church acquired the land for the erection for its first building on the site of the present Church of Christ struc­ture. That year the church reported 54 members with a total annual budget of $235 which included $150 for the pastor's salary. Preach­ing was quarter time.

The death of Bro. Jones, the pastor, occurred on February 13, 1911. No further historical records are available from local records until 1918. Associational records, however, list the following pas­tors during this period: Bro. J. W. Gill, 1911-1912; Bro. L. C. Thompson, 1913; No One listed for 1914; Bro. E. W. Moss, 1915-1916; Bro. L. P. Whittaker,1917-1919; Bro. Arthur Holland, 1920-1922.

In 1918 the church went to half time preaching. Ait this time 66 names were erased from the church roll, leaving 63 mem­bers. In 1922 the Board of Trustees was granted the authority "to dispose of the present church building at the best price and to pur­chase a new site that in their judgment would be suitable for a location for a new church building". During the same year the Ladies Aid Society voted to change its name to that of the Woman's Missionary Society, and the church went to full time preaching. The pastor's salary was $1,200, and $304 was given to the 75 million Campaign.

In June of 1923 the motion carried to sell the old parsonage for $1,400. Several months later a parsonage building committee was appointed with instructions to proceed at once with the building of a parsonage adequate to the needs of the church. Bro. H. M. Crane was pastor at this time and served for a year and a half. Local expenditures amounted to $3,610 with $414 given to missions. At the business meeting on July 27, Bro. S. A. Smith was called as pastor. He was succeeded the following June by his son-in-law, Bro. W. H. Curl.

The discussion of a new church building was officially noted as

[p. 125]
early as 1922. Evidently, however, plans progressed slowly because in October 1926. "Bro. Curl made a short talk about building a new church". Nearly a year later the question of whether to repair the old building or to enter a building program was still being debated. In July 1928 an application was sent to the Home Mission Board f the Souther Baptist Convention for the loan of $6,000 "to be used solely for the purpose of completing payment on our church build­ing" This building refers to the one in which we now worship, which was the original frame structure erected on the present Church of Christ site. This wooden building was moved in 1928 to the present location and was overlaid with brick.

The first Girl's Auxiliary was organized on June 5, 1927. On March 20, 1929, Bro. W. C. Harrell was called as pastor of the church. He served also as science teacher in the high school. There is no available record of church activity during this period until 1939. At this time "because of the continuation of the low economic condition here," the church requested a continuation of the building loan from the Home Mission Board. Bro. Harrell resigned as pas­tor in 1941, having served for twelve years. He was succeeded by Bro. A. T. Ross in September of this year.

On January 5, 1947, the church building was damaged by fire, and the insurance adjuster agreed to pay $2,733.20. Plans was initiated at that time to remodel the Sunday School rooms, and an architect from the Sunday School Board in Nashville made recom­mendations for these improvements. After this redecoration and remodeling had been completed, the church was host to the Muhlenberg County Association in August of 1947.

On August 17, 1949. Bro. Ross offered his resignation as pastor. The Associational Missionary, Bro. Matheny, filled the pulpit fre­quently during the interim of six months while the church was without a pastor. On Ferbuary 15, 1950, Bro. Ralph A. Whicker was called as pastor. After a report of the budget committee the following month, the church voted to begin half time preaching with Bro Whicker alternating each Sunday night and Sunday morning service at Hazel Creek. In May of this year the church voted to begin using the envelope system.

In January 1951 the half time services were discontinued and Bro. Whicker began full time work. In February, the church voted to organize at B.T.U. Bro. Whicker offered his resignation in Feb­ruary of 1952 to become pastor at Burnside, Kentucky, and Bro. Denzil Dukes was called as pastor on March 16.

In August of 1953 several cracks began to appear in the walls of the church building caused by a dislocation of the ground beneath the building. The church could no longer be used for worship be­cause of the danger involved. At a special session on August 16 the members voted to establish a building fund. The Methodist Church offered to share its building during this emergency, and the church gave a stand vote of thanks to the Methodists for their kind and prompt offer. The public school, however, became our church "home" during the next twelve months.

A new financial policy was adopted on the basis of tithes and offerings, and an endeavor was made to enlist every member of the Unified Budget System. The church voted in January of 1954
[p. 126]
to remodel the church and to add necessary space. In March the church approved the recommendations of the building committee. These plans included the extension of the front of the building and the construction of a baptistry. The cost was estimated at $10,500. A contract for the construction was let on May 18.

With great rejoicing the members and friends of the church viewed the work of reconstruction during this summer. On August 22 a Homecoming Day commemorated our return "home." On Sun­day evening, September 5, the first baptismal service was held using the new baptistry. On that same day Bro. Denzil Dukes, who had led our building program, resigned to accept a pastorate at Utica.

On December 26, 1954, Bro. David Field was callled from his post of Minister of Music at the First Baptist Church of Central [City] to pastor our church. Bro. Field was ordained into the ministry in our church on February 20, 1955. During his pastorate that church inaugurated the Forward Program of Church Finance. A church covenant, a decication [declaration? - jrd] of faith, and a constitution were all adopted in July of 1958.

Bro. Field presented his resignation on December 14, 1958, ex­plaining that he had been called to a pioneer field in Michigan and that he would begin his work in Bay City. Bro. George W. Archer was elected to take his place. He resigned in August of 1961 and Bro. Ronald L. Burnett, our present, pastor was elected to take his place.

In recent years our youth organizations have continued to be a strength and inspiration to our young people. As a church we have enjoyed many spiritual blessings, and we prayerfully seek the con­tinuance of these blessings as we strive to fulfill the opportunities of service in this community and, through our mission effort, in all the world.
Mrs. Thomas Neathamer, Historian.

Editor's Note:
In 1964 the First Church of Drakesboro listed 259 members; had a Sunday School enrollment of 172; a V. B. S. enrollment of 111; a B. T. U. 'enrollment of 52; and a W. M. S. enrollment of 66. She listed her church property at $58,000; paid her pastor $4,160; paid $10,576 lor local work and $869 for missions.
From 1907 to 1965, she has reported 515 baptisms.

Dunmor Baptist Church
The Dunmor Baptist Church has failed to submit a history of any kind. The author-editor gathered the following facts from minutes of the Muhlenberg County Baptist Association:

The church was constituted in 1890. She came into the Muhlen­berg County Baptist Association as a constituent member. Rev. A. C. Dorris was pastor; L. C. Baugh, clerk; G. W. Milam and W. Y. Clardy, Messengers; J. W. Purvis, Sunday School Superintendent. She re­ported 72 church members and 60 enrolled in a year-around Sunday School.

During the next few years she failed to make gains and in 1912 she lost two by letter and eleven by expulsion, leaving 55 members. That year Sunday School enrollment was 35, Mrs. Venie DePoyster, superintendent.
[p. 127]
In 1915, 11 were baptized and joined by letter. This brought the membership to 72.

Dunmor went to half time in 1919 with Brother C. H. Coleman as pastor. This must have been a great year in her history as 18 joined the church by bap­tism and 12 by letter. Fifteen were baptized into the fellow­ship the following year.

This church entered the great 75 million Campaign Era — 1920-1924 — with 141 members and with a Sunday School en­rollment of 100. She was pay­ing her pastor $400 a year for a half time ministry. Her total expenditures in 1920 amounted to $868. During this five year period she paid $571 to the Campaign, and she baptized 41 people into church membership.

From 1925 to 1940 all financial offerings were greatly reduced — both local and mission — as was true throughout the Association. Church membership, however, increased to 169 in 1935. It then began a rapid decline until only 121 were reported in 1941. In 1943, Brother M. V. Cotton was pastor, there were 28 additions to the church. At the close of his pastorate — 1950 — the church reported 198 members and a full time pastorate. 246 members were re­ported in 1964; 236, in 1965.

Mission offerings increased from $23 in 1940 to $785 in 1963. 624 dollars was contributed in 1965.

Her largest total expenditures for one year was in 1960— $8,007.

Pastor's salary has ranged from $60 paid in 1910 to $3,600 paid in 1964. Property value increased from $1,100 in 1907 to a reported value of $30,000 in 1964.

Dunmor has baptized 424 people into church fellowship while a member of this Association. Her lowest Sunday School enroll­ment — 34 — was reported in 1919; her largest — 179 — in 1955. She enrolled 142 in 1965.

Brethren who have pastored the church are A. C. Dorris, 1907-1908; W. P. Henry, 1909; G. W. Milam, 1910; Alex Malone, 1911; E. W. Moss, 1912-1913; Arthur Holland, 1914-1918; C. H. Coleman, 1919-1920; H. L. Green, 1921; W. Davis, 1922-1923; S. P. Browning, 1924-1928; Ray Tatum, 1929-1930; L. P. Whitaker, 1931-1934; M. E. Prince, 1935; S. A. Kittinger, 1936; W. W. Johnson, 1937-1939; J. M. Rogers, 1940-1942; M. V. Cotton, 1943-1950; Raymond F. Ward, 1951-1952; Wendell Romans, 1953-1955; James E. Maddux, 1956-1958; Paul R. Adkins, 1959; J. V. Mullen, Jr., 1960; None Reported, 1961; Lloyd Johnson, 1962-1963; None Reported, 1964; Leon Chilton, 1965.
[p. 128]
After the foregoing was written, Brother Leon E. Chilton sub­mitted the following data:
A number of Baptists with letters from Sugar Grove and New Unity Churches met at Bro. J. H. Welborn's residence in Dunmor, Kentucky, May 4, 1890, for the purpose of organizing a Baptist church. They engaged in religious services led by Rev. F. M. Welborn. Elder F. M. Welborn of Mount Carmel Church was appointed Moderator. A. W. Whitaker of Sugar Grove was appointed Clerk. A presbytery composed of the following brothers and sisters was formed: Elder F. M. Welborn of Mount Carmel, A. W. Whitaker, I. W. Welborn, J. W. Hankins and wife, Nannie and Lillie Whitaker of Sugar Grove, Delia Clardy of Hazel Creek, John Wagoner of Oak Grove, and Blanche Garretson of First Baptist Church of Henderson, Kentucky. This group went into an organization of the church by reading letters submitted by the members from Sugar Grove and New Unity. These members were John Henry Welborn, Belle Welborn, Frank M. Welborn, M. H. Welborn, A. W. Whitaker, Lillie Whitaker, John W. Hawkins, Nannie Hawkins, Dellia Clardy, W. Y. Clardy, Edney Clardy, Martha Clardy, Mollie Clardy, J. Booker Clardy, Richard Clardy, Jimmie Clardy, John Wagoner, Blanch Garretson, Jack M. Newman, Minor Newman, John L. Baugh, Sara Elizabeth Baugh, Doxie Baugh, James M. Silvey, Elizabeth B. Silvey, L. Lyons, J. S. DePoyster, Mattie DePoyster, Spurlin A. Posey, Annia Posey, Ollie Penrod, Diona Briggs, Florence Briggs, Dave V. Phil­lips, and Belle Phillips.

The covenant and the articles of faith as laid down in Hiscox History were read and adopted.

"Dunmor Missionary Baptist Church" was adopted as the name of the New Church.

The newly organized church elected J. N. Newman as moderator and J. L. Baugh as clerk. W. Y. Clardy and L. Lyons were recog­nized as deacons.

Saturday before the fourth Lord's Day in each month was adopted as meeting day. The church was to meet at Pogue's School House on Saturday and at the Dunmor School House on Sunday until a house of worship could be built.

J. S. DePoyster, chairman, J. H. Welborn, James Silvey, J. L. Baugh, and Elder J. M. Newman were appointed a building com­mittee.

W. Y. Clardy, chairman, S. A. Posey, and L. Lyons were ap­pointed a finance committee.

Rev. L. H. Voiles was her first pastor.

W. Y. Clardy, L. Lyons, J. M. Silvey, S. A. Posey, J. A. Blackford, and T. P. Allen were the first deacons. Oscar Silvey, Neal Arnold, Kyle Latham, Mason Poyner, Orby Tucker, Tom Miller, and Howard Driskill are the present deacons.

East Union Baptist Church
By request we have composed a brief history of East Union Church relying on the testimonies of the elderly people, church records, and our own knowledge. Some of the records are faded
[p. 129]
due to their age and are not in­telligible.

The records show that East Union Church was an arm of Unity Church and was organ­ized August 14, 1852, in a school house called the Hendricks School located near where Corley's Chapel Church now stands. Twelve members of Unity Church were charter members. East Union feels peculiarly honored to have this church. There were twelve tribes of Israel, twelve apostles, and twelve charter members of this church — Christ being the founder. The church shall never fall, though the gates of Hell rise against it.

At this age transportation was slow. They traveled by ox cart or walked, but mostly walked. This condition made it very in­convenient for these twelve to attend worship at Unity Church. Handicapped by this condition and no doubt led by the Holy Spirit as God's people are led today, their souls were stirred to a point that they were willing to do something about it.

They first began meeting in a school house for worship. The Lord blessed them in such a way that on Saturday, August 14, 1852, they met in this school building and proceeded to effect an organization with P. S. Lovin, Moderator, and A. M. Lewis, Clerk. Here the church was organized and they named it East Union Baptist Church, probably meaning "Coming East from Unity and forming a union." In the early records of the church they referred to it as "We the United Baptist Church of Christ at East Union."

The record of business transacted on the day the church was organized is as follows:
"The church at East Union was organized on the 14th day of August, 1852, and proceeded in business as fol­lows: 1st: Chose a pastor, to wit: Elder William Bennett. 2nd: Appointed a clerk, to wit: A. M. Lewis. 3rd: The day of meeting to be on Saturday preceding the fourth Sabbath in each month. P. S. Lovin, moderator, A. M. Lewis, clerk."
Following is the first minutes of East Union Church just as it was recorded:
"1st: The United Baptist Church met at East Union on Saturday before the fourth Lord's Day in August, 1852, and after service went regularly into business.
2nd: Call for fellowship and found all in peace.
3rd: Invited visiting brothers to seat with us.
4th: Opened the doors of the church. 4 come, Sister Dorty Lewis, Sister Mary Stanley, Sister Cealia Miller, Sister Manerva _____ and were received into fellowship with us.
5th: Proceed to elect delegates to attend the association. Chosen were: Brother William Bennett, Brother G. Walker and Brother
[p. 130]
Wiley Tyson. Brother Elder William Bennett, moderator and Broth­er A. M. Lewis, clerk."

We don't find any record as to the length of time between the organization of the church in the school building and the erection of the first church building. This being ox cart days and not every family owned oxen, it made it a task to erect a building. But I can see the old soldiers of the Cross as they gathered at this his­toric spot, bringing their axes and those that had oxen bringing them, and they began to cut the trees and pull the logs by oxen to the site where the first church was to be erected. The site for the first building was near where Clarence Bowles now lives, ap­proximately two miles from the present site.

The first house was a one-room log house, one door, probably no floor, roof weighted down, seats of split logs with holes bored in them to place the legs. Not the finest of architecture as we have today, but most of all it was a house of God, a place where the people could meet and worship God. They worshiped in this building for some time before it was destroyed by fire. After the church burned, the people had no place of worship; probably they continued to worship in their homes.

Now we come to a theory of the present location of the church. A minister of the Gospel came this way, stopped by and preached to the people in a grove near where the church now stands. The people were led to choose this place, it being more in the center of the community, for the site of the new church they were planning to build. Soon they erected another one-room log building larger than the building that burned, and more modern.

W. E. Evitts (Uncle Buck) will now give a description of this building:
"The building was a one-room log house approximately 20 by 30 feet, a door in each end, two windows on each side. Each sill was a complete log, no splices. The logs from the windows up were complete logs with no splices. The logs averaged approxi­mately 14 inches in width, hewed on each side. One log extended down the center of the building and was supported by sassafras posts. The ceiling of the church was level with the top of the center log, leaving the log exposed inside the church; but soon they cased this log and the posts down the center with poplar boards. The space between each log was chinked with short blocks of wood placed between the logs, and daubed with mortar made from lime. In making mortar for the last coat, much lime was used to make the mortar white. Boards were used for the roof. The rafters, not being properly supported, let the roof sag very much in the center of the building."
For many years the people worshipped in this log church, but as it began to decay and need repair the members began to think in terms of a new church. In 1888 and 1889 committees were appointed to ascertain the facts about the building of a new church, and in 1890 a new, modern church building was erected. The first Sunday in November, 1891, this building was dedicated to God, with the Rev. W. H. Woodson delivering the dedication sermon. J. S. (Sid) Lewis had been employed to erect this building, a one-room frame structure with self supporting roof.

In the age of the first building, the people walked to church.

[p. 131]
Often the ladies walked, carrying their shoes. When they drew near the church, they stopped, put on their shoes, and went on to church. After they had worshipped and departed for home, again they re­moved their shoes. Soon came the days of the wagon and of horse back riding. The horses were arrayed with side saddles on which the ladies joyfully rode to church. There were stile blocks which aided them in mounting and dismounting. Many came to church by wagon. After this age came the horse and buggy days. Sundays were greatly anticipated, for young men gleefully took their girl friends to church by means of horse and buggy. We are all very well acquainted with the present automobile age.

Sometimes the church would go for a long period of time with­out Sunday School, and when she did have Sunday School would discontinue it for the winter and organize in the spring again. The annual revival was usually held in the summer and was always blessed with a large attendance. When the congregation was too large to meet inside the church, it would often move out under a tent or brush arbor, using the seats out of the church to seat the people.

For many years the church held membership in the Little Bethel Association, but in 1907 asked for a letter of dismissal from this As­sociation and became a member of the Muhlenberg County Asso­ciation.

On Sunday, March 29, 1924, the janitor, Brother Warner Koon, kindled a fire in the stove that sat in the center of the church building, intending to warm the building for Sunday School. A little later the community was alarmed by the ringing of the church bell. The church was afire, and in spite of their greatest efforts, burned to the ground. Antioch Methodist Church gave them an invitation to use their church building in which to worship until they could build. The invitation was accepted, and for some time they en­joyed the hospitality of that church, and their kindness shall never be forgotten.

In the meantime, being encouraged by Him the Holy Spirit, they began to plan a new building. Led by their pastor, C. R. Evitts, they elected a building committee composed of Brothers J. H. Vin­cent, J. W. DeArmond, and Walter Stovall. Brother Hosea Devine was employed as carpenter to erect the building. The community, seeing the work done (through the church by the power of God, rose up and gladly helped the church erect another building by giving their labor and talent. To obtain the needed cash several members of the church signed a $2,550 note at the First National Bank in Greenville. In 1926 the building was completed, and on the first Sunday in June 1926, the new church was dedicated to God.

The Sunday School constantly grew until there was a demand for more space so, in May 1950, the church began to plan for ad­ditional room. That year a basement was added to the church, and in 1953 a parsonage with a full basement was built. Then in 1956 a Baptistry, a choir loft, a nursery, a pastor's study, and two rest rooms were added. In 1962 the additions were dedicated in con­nection with the 110th anniversary of the church. Brother S. A. Kittinger conducted the morning service and Brother Charles Wood-burn, the afternoon service.
[p. 132]
For many years the church had only quarter time preaching. In April, 1944, Brother Stinson being pastor, they went to half time preaching, and in 1952, Brother Charles Woodburn being pastor, they went to full time.

East Union has made wonderful progress in the training and services it offers its members. It has a lovely place to worship and is known as a five star church, that is it maintains, in addition to full time preaching, a Sunday School, a Brotherhood, a Baptist Training Union, a Woman's Missionary Union, and mid-week Prayer Meeting. She also has a Vacation Bible School each year.

East Union has had many pastors in the past 113 years. Broth­ers William Bennett, James Bennett, R. D. Tudor, R. O. G. Walker, T. W. Pritchet, J. W. Isabel, Robert Renals, L. D. Ragon, J. W. Bilbrue, W. H. Woodson, J. W. Gill, L. D. Stirsman, Robert Danks, W. W. Couch, W. H. Curl, C. R. Evitts, S. P. Browning, Marvin Stinson, S. A. Kittinger, Charles Woodburn, C. M. Cummins, Carroll Bruce, Dorris Fulkerson, W. W. Johnson, R. L. Burnett, William Beard, Harold Loyd Stewart, George R. Cartwright.

As far as our information extends, East Union has licensed the following to preach the Gospel: Brothers R. O. G. Walker, E. J. Ragon, J. W. Gill, C. R. Evitts, Douglas Strader, Carl Sparks, and Tim DeArmond. Douglas Strader has been ordained.

The church has had several trustees: R. P. Stovall, G. W. Sparks, Eugene Stovall, S. A. Stewart, William Evitts, Floyd Stovall, Dillis Vincent, and Clyde Stovall.

Many clerks have served through the history of the church: A. M. Lewis, Z. M. Evitts, C. W. Lewis, James W. Lewis, L. D. Ragon, R. O. G. Walker, J. W. Forehand, Dave Board, S. A. Stewart, G. W. Sparks, W. E. Evitts, Gaylon Noffsinger, Carl R. Sparks, Raymond Sparks, and Alfred London. W. E. Evitts (Uncle Buck) served this church as clerk for fifty years in succession, and during this fifty years he only missed twenty business meetings.

Viewing the progress that the church has made, one is made aware of the leadership of the Holy Spirit and the infinite care of God and the reassuring words of Jesus Christ, "Lo, I am with you alway even unto the end of the world."
Respectfully submitted,

Editor's Note:
East Union became a constituent member of the Muhlenberg County Baptist Association in 1907 with a church membership of 164. She had 411 members in 1940; 403, in 1960; 336, in 1964. The stripping operations of Peabody Coal Company forced many families to sell their homes and move away. In 1965 it forced the moving of the East Union Church building to a new location near Corley's Chapel.

This church paid her quarter time pastor $100.00 a year in 1907. She paid her full time pastor $4,160.00 in 1963.
[p. 133]
Reported gifts to missions were $2.00 in 1907; in 1963, $2,453.00.

The amount expended for all purposes was $163.00 in 1907; $14,196.00 in 1953; $11,310.00 in 1963; and $8,442 in 1964.

This church has had numerous revivals with many baptisms. Since entering this Association she has reported a total of 642 bap­tisms. Years when the total exceeded 30 baptisms are 1921, 66; 1923, 56; 1932, 33; 1937, 37. The greatest number since that year was 19 in 1961.

In 1966, George R. Cartwright, pastor, East Union reported 6 baptisms, 313 members, 130 enrolled in Sunday School, $1,904 con­tributed to missions, $10,417 expended for all purposes.

Ebenezer Baptist Church
From the booklet GASPER RIVER ASSOCIATIONAL RECORD by F. M. Welborn of Paradise, Muhlenberg County, we get these facts about the early history of Ebenezer Church from 1851-1876:

Tabular Exhibit of Ebenezer Church, Muhlenberg County, Kentucky—1851-1876.
Organized January 3, 1851, by Elders J. U. Spurlin, C. Meacham, with members hold­ing letters from Hazel Creek Church, viz.: John A. Wilkin­son, Sarah Wilkinson, R. B. Landrum, Nancy Landrum, Mary Casebier, David Casebier, Nancy Cundiff, Susan Cundiff, Joseph Adcock, Mary Adcock, Elizabeth Adcock, W. A. Turn­er, Henry Rhoads, Elizabeth Rhoads, Ann E. Langley, Susan Unsel, Margaret Wade, J. M. Vaught, Elizabeth Dakes, Wm. Jones, Mary E. Lambert, Mar­tha H. Bell, Hannah Bell, J. J. Cundiff. Joined the Gasper River Association the same year.
Membership never reached 100 till 1873. During Elder Sharp's pastorate, twice to the present, resulting in great increase, aided by T. D. Rust, and F. M. Wellborn. The church purchased a library in 1860 for the benefit of her members.

The church bulding stands six miles east of Greenville, Ken­tucky, from the road leading from that place to Rochester.

Brother Gene Porter reports that the church records were de­stroyed when the home of its clerk burned. Records, therefore, have not been found for the period from 1876 to 1907 when the Muhlen­berg County Baptist Association was constituted.

The author-editor has compiled a table similar to that made by Brother Welborn covering the years 1908 through 1950.
[p. 134]

[The chart with these statistics was difficult to scan and is not included here. - jrd]

[p. 135]
Church membership remained about the same during the next four years under the pastorates of Brethren Robert Bozarth, 1951, David Mefford, 1952, and John S. Jennings, 1953 and 1954.

During the next four years — 1955-1958 — under the pastorate of Brother Melvin Johnson — there was a spectacular increase in mem­bership: from 128 to 275. In 1959 the peak was reached — 296 mem­bers. Membership through the 1960's has remained above 280.

Brethren Robert Bozarth, James Alderson, Edgar Taylor, Melvin Johnson and James E. Bean pastored the church from 1959-1966.

Ebenezer reported a Sunday School enrollment of 34 in 1907; her largest was 267 in 1960.

The pastor's salary has ranged from $59 in 1935 to $3,975 in 1960. Mission contributions were $3 several years; $1,228 in 1960 and $1,189 in 1965. Expenditures for all purposes ranged from $18 in 1925 to $12,511 in 1965.

A total of 328 baptisms have been reported — 1907-1965.

Ebenezer went from a very weak quarter-time church in the 1920's to a full-time church with an active Sunday School, V. B. S., B. T. U., W. M. U., and Brotherhood in the 1960's.

In 1966 Ebenezer reported 11 baptisms, 311 members, 164 en­rolled in Sunday School, $1,307 contributed to missions, and $10,401 expended for all purposes.

Forest Grove Baptist Church
Forest Grove Baptist Church is located two miles east of Browder on Highway 70 — The Rochester Road.

Forest Grove was organized September 30, 1900. Brother J. H. Newman from Carters Creek held a brush arbor revival and or­ganized the church with 17 members: B. Tipton, Lura Tdpton, Bettie Nalley, Annie Tipton, Mattie Nalley, Mary Tipton, Rena Tipton, John W. Miller, Sarah A. Miller, Calvin Rhoads, M. F. Rhoads, Ethel Rhoads, Harry Jernigan, L. F. Cundiff, L. A. Tipton, Gertie Tipton, James Nalley.

Forest Grove became a member of the Gasper River Association and remained in that body until 1907 when she became a constituent member of the Muhlenberg County Baptist Association. She drew members from Carters Creek, Hazel Creek, Ebenezer, and New Pro­spect.
[p. 136]
For the first few years the church met in the school house. A church building was started in 1903 while Brother Taylor was pastor, but not much, was done to it until 1905 when Bro­ther E. J. Regan was called as pastor. He and the members donated timber, money, and la­bor and put the building up. Deacon Calvin Rhoads was the main foreman for the job. The W. A. Wickliffe Coal Company donated two acres of ground for the church and cemetery. In 1951 the church bought the old school ground containing two acres, and the Wickliffe Coal Company gave another acre. The church and the cemetery now own five acres of ground.

The original building is still used, but it has been refinished inside and out, Sunday School rooms have been added and modern heating installed. A pastorium was built in 1963.

Pastors who have served the church are Brethren J. H. New­man, 1900-1902; Brother Taylor, 1903-1904; E. J. Regan, 1905-1908; J. W. Gill, 1909-1910; W. W. Woodson, 1909-1911; J. V. McLearn, 1912-1913; A. C. Davis, 1914-1915; J. W. Gill, 1916; S. P. Browning, 1917; W. W. Woodson, 1918-1920; E. F. Johnson, 1921-1922; H. D. Divine, 1923; S. P. Browning, 1924-1925; J. W. Wheeler, 1926-1927; T. J. Woodson, 1928-1929; Drexel Hankins, 1930-1938; O. P. Bush, 1939; Ishmael Phillips and Dewey Noffsinger, 1940; L. B. Wice, 1941-1946; J. L. Parker, 1947-1949; Charles Wilcox, 1950; Jack Smith, 1951-1952; E. T. McDoniel 1953-1960; Gerald Jones, Jr., 1961-1965; Boyce Newman, 1966-.

Brother T. T. Lewis has been church treasurer 36 years, is a deacon and Sunday School superintendent.

Brother George H. Brown is church clerk, and T. T. Lewis, Historian.

Editor's statistics from Associational Minutes:
Forest Grove entered the Association in 1907 with 49 church members. She reached a peak of 215 in 1945. She reported 145 in 1965.
Her smallest Sunday School enrollment was 32 in 1907; her largest, 138 in 1930.
Her mission offerings have ranged from not any in some years to $1,030 in 1961; her total expenditures from $36 in 1907 to $12,966 in 1963; her .pastor's salaries from $35 in 1907 to $2,434 in 1964. Her property value increased from $600 in 1907 to $22,000 in 1963.
Forest Grove has reported 360 baptisms since 1907.

[p. 137]

Friendship Baptist Church
Kinnard G. Hay, the first clerk of Friendship, wrote these facts about the organization of the church which occurred on January 22, 1840:
"We the United Baptist Church of Christ, formerly part of Cave Spring Church of Muhlenberg County, Kentucky, be­ing dismissed for the purpose of forming a new church, met at Bro. Andrew I. Turner's on Saturday before the 3rd Lord's Day in January, 1840, and after Divine service was constituted by a presbytery composed of Brethren R. Jones and K. G. Hay of Little Bethel Associa­tion."
Articles of faith and rules of decorum were adopted, and Bro. K. G. Hay was called as pastor. "Friendship" was adopted as the name of the new church. The church was to become a member of Little Bethel Association.

These men — with members of their families — were constituent members: John B. Staples, Kinnard Hay, James Terry, William A. Terry, Andrew I. Turner, John Turner, James Turner, Joseph Turn­er, Coleman V. Shelton, Thomas Terry, and Charles Metzker.

Communion (the Lord's Supper) was to be observed quarterly — in January, May, August, and October — and in the conference meet­ing preceeding each communion service, the Articles of Faith and the Rules of Decorum were to be read.

The first church house was a log structure located near the present site. In April, 1850, the minutes state "Granted a school to be kept in the Friendship Baptist Church." This evidently meant a public school.

A second church house which the minutes say "was hastily built and was never very satisfactory" was built about the year 1860. In 1890 committees were appointed and plans made to con­struct the third church building, but actual construction was not completed until 1894. In 1946 a motion carried to build a new house of worship of concrete blocks, including basement and heating plant and as many as six Sunday School rooms. Work on this project continued intermittently and in June 1948 "preaching service was held in the new auditorium, sermon by Rev. J. L. Parker. Bro. Carl Cary made a financial report stating that all the work and material on the church amounting to around $7,000 had been paid for." "In May 1949 the dedication was held, all committees were dismissed, and the $500 note burned. Total cost as reported by Carl Cary, treasurer, $10,781.69."

In 1907 the church valued its property at $1,200; in 1964 at $20,000.
[p. 138]
Friendship has been a hospitable and a cooperative church from its organization in 1840 until the present.

Records show that this church entertained the Little Bethel Association four times: in 1843, 1861, 1870, and 1898. The Muhlenberg County Baptist Association has met with her twice, in 1929 and in 1940.

Church minutes show that she was asked to help settle disputes that arose in other Baptist churches. Disputes also arose among her own members, and disciplinary measures were frequently used on her own members, as was the case in all the early Baptist churches in Muhlenberg County. Many pages of the church minutes deal with these cases. Many members were excluded, and many others were forgiven and restored to full fellowship when they con­fessed to wrong doing and promised to do better.

A highlight of most years seemed to be the "protracted" meet­ings. Some references in the minutes read:
"In November 1878 a twelve day meeting was held resulting in 17 conversions and 21 additions to the church. . . . Meeting was conducted by the pastor, F. M. Welborn."

"In October 1882 a series of meetings were held with 12 con­versions."

"In February 1885 there were 11 conversions and 14 additions to the church during a fifteen day revival."

"In 1887 a series of meetings conducted by Elder J. T. Casebier resulted in 33 additions to the church, 30 by experience and baptism."

"In November 1889 a gracious revival was held wtih Rev. W. P. Henry assisting Rev. J. T. Casebier. There was a total addition of 40 members to the church, 35 by profession of faith and baptism."

"In November 1891 during a revival of 21 days — W. H. Woodson, pastor — 25 souls were saved."

"In December 1894 a revival was held by W. H. Woodson. . . . 18 souls were happily converted."

After 1907 baptisms were not so numerous until 1940. From 1940 until 1955 the number greatly increased. The total number of baptisms reported by this church from 1907 to 1965 was 392.

Friendship entered the Muhlenberg County Association in 1907 with 173 members. This number dropped to 115 by 1915, then grad­ually increased to 279 in 1955. She reported 258 members in 1963.

Before the year 1900 salaries of pastors were rather small and evidently hard to raise since the church deferred calling a pastor several times, until money could be raised to finish paying the former pastor. Annual salaries much below $100 were the rule. In 1907 the annual salary was $100. This amount increased to $150 during the 1920's and to $3,600 in 1964.

This church reported total mission payments of $13 in 1910, but in the 1940's, 1950's, and 1960's she became generous in her mission offerings. In 1963 she gave $2,750.

Total expenditures for all church purposes showed an equally rapid and substantial rise. In 1907 the total amount was $147; in 1963 the total amount was $11,471.

Friendship, like many of her sister churches, has gradually
[p. 139]
added to the services she offered her members. For many years this was limited to preaching one Sunday a month and the annual pro­tracted meeting.

It was not until 1887 that a Sunday School is mentioned. Evi­dently it was not organized for in 1897 "a motion was made to organize a Sabbath School." In 1907 W. J. Powell was superin­tendent of a 50 pupil Sunday School that met six months a year. In 1920 there were 70 pupils and 8 teachers with G. B. McClellan as superintendent. 1930 shows 75 pupils and 6 teachers. The 1940 report shows 95 pupils and 14 officers and teachers. In 1950 the enrollment was 146, Aron Hill, the superintendent. This enrollment has remained about the same to the present time.

Vacation Bible Schools, the W.M.U., B.T.U., Bible Institutes, Study Courses in Sunday School and other organizational work, and, of course, full time pastoral service have been provided to insure a better knowledge of the Bible, a better recognition of the privileges and duties of church membership, and better ways to "reach and keep" people for the service of Christ.

In a restricted history, as this one must be, it is impossible to give due credit to, or even to mention the names of the hundreds of devoted men and women who have served God through their church for the 125 years that Friendship has existed. Deacons, clerks, trustees, teachers, committee members, officers in various church organizations, and many who have served well as laymen — all deserve recognition along with the men who have had the pas­toral care of the church.

As correctly as possible, using all sources available, this is a list of -the pastors who have served Friendship Church:
K. G. Hay, 1840-1848; John Walker, 1849; William D. Pannell, 1850-1859 and 1866-1868; T. D. Rust, 1862-1865, 1870-1873, 1875-1877; Bro. James, 1869; Bro. Craig, 1874; F. M. Welborn, 1878; J. T. Casebier, 1885-1890, 1898, 1899; W. H. Woodson, 1891,1897, 1908-1910, 1920, 1921; J. W. Gill, 1901, 1905-1907; J. R. Jenkins 1902-1904; R. C. Allen, 1911-1914; T. G. Woodson, 1915-1919; E. Grimes, 1922-1924; S. P. Shanks, 1925-1926; Drexel Hankins, 1927-1928; R. H. Forsythe, 1929-1932; Fred Fox, 1933-1947, 1950-1952, 1961 to present, 1965; J. L. Parker, 1948-1949; Melvin A. Johnson, 1953-1954; John S. Jennings, 1955-1956; Charles Woodburn, 1957-1960. It will be noted that Bro. Fred Fox has served the church for a greater number of years than any other of her pastors.
The editor wishes to thank Mrs. Annie (Jeffers) Parker who compiled the facts for the first 113 years of the history and Mrs. Carrie Mae (Allen) Woodson who covered the last 12 years. Both of these ladies had forefathers who were members of this church.

The editor also recommends that the church have the complete history as written by these ladies mimeographed and distributed to the present members of Friendship Church.
Minutes of the Muhlenberg County Baptist Association from 1907 to 1964 have also been used.
In 1966 Friendship reported 12 baptisms, 259 members, 156 en­rolled in Sunday School, $2,760 contributed to missions, and $14,950 expended for all purposes.
[p. 140]
Graham Baptist Church
All of the Graham Baptist Church records burned when the home of Mr. Henry Cunningham, then church clerk, burned in the early 1950's. This loss makes the writing of this church history very difficult. The limited statistical information contained in the minutes of the Muhlen-berg County Baptist Associa­tion is about all that is avail­able for the period from 1906 to 1954.

Ishmael Rose submitted a brief paper on "The History of the Graham Baptist Church" in one of the author's classes while a teacher in Graham High School. In it he says, "The Graham mines were op­ened in the winter of 1903 and 1904. For a long time there was no Baptist church in the community. Finally a committee got together and planned ways and means of building the much needed church."

He tells how contributions of lumber and money were sought from the neighboring farmers, and how that, when this had been done, "The citizens elected a building committee: L. D. Browning, H. W. Hopkins, Tom McCain, J. T. Chandler, and Ive Humphrey. The Graham Baptist Church was finished in 1906 and dedicated in 1907. . . . The church was organized August 30, 1906. The first sermon was preached by Dr. E. L. Powell in 1907.

"On October 2, 1908, Brother P. E. Herndon was called as pastor. He served until September 1911. Brother John Grady was called during November 1911 and served until November 1919."

He states further along in his paper, "For a long time Mr. E. P. Vincent was Sunday School superintendent, but in 1920 he had to leave and go to California on account of his health. Mr. J. W. Purvis and family moved in a week after he left, and Mr. Purvis was elected superintendent the night they joined the church."

Graham Baptist joined the Muhlenberg County Baptist Associa­tion in 1907 with 18 members. The following year she reported 43 baptisms and 18 joined by letter of dismission from other Baptist churches. The membership reported in 1908 was 78, but during the next few years she lost more members than she gained. Only 59 were reported in 1910; 61, in 1911 and 1912. A revival with 14 bap­tisms brought the membership to 74 in 1913. The next ten years was an active period: 38 baptisms were reported in 1915; 23 in 1916; 44 in 1919; 15 in 1920; 14 in 1921; and 19 in 1923. The membership at the close of 1923 was 274. A decline in membership followed, and in only one of the succeeding years has that number been ex­ceeded. Records show that in 1930 while Brother J. H. Boswell was pastor, 91 members were excluded. The church reported 162 members in 1965.
[p. 141]
The church did not report a Sunday School until 1914. That year Mr. J. F. Doss was elected superintendent, a position that he held for three years — the enrollment was about 130. Mr. E. P. Vincent held this position for the next three years. No Sunday School was reported in 1919 and 1920. Then Mr. J. W. Purvis was elected as superintendent, and Sunday School work has been stressed every year since.

The first clerk to serve the church was William Smith. He was followed in 1908 and 1909 by John C. Vincent; in 1910, by H. Hop­kins; from 1911 to 1915 by Andrew Crenshaw; from 1916 to 1922 by J. F. Doss; in 1923 by A. J. Spurlin; and from 1924 through 1927 by C. A. Ross.

Mr. J. W. Purvis was elected clerk in 1928 and retained this office 15 years — the longest term of office of any other clerk. Union Uzzle served as clerk from 1943 to 1949; Morris Uzzle during 1948; W. L. Winebarger 1949 through 1952; Henry Cunningham 1953 through 1956; Alvin Stovall 1957 through 1961; Miss Sue Sallee 1962 through 1964; Mr. and Mrs. David Hope 1965 to the present.

The Associational minutes do not give the name of the treasure in til 1922. Beginning with that year, these men have held that office: J. F. Doss, 1 year; John Wilkins, 4 years; J. T. Chandler, 2 years; J. W. Purvis, 4 years; George Chandler, 1 year; B. S. Noffsinger, 6 years; Eugene Lewis, 5 years; Huber Croft, 1 year; James Otts, 10 years; Shelby Noffsinger, 1 year; Bob Rose, 1 year; Howard Hope, 5 years; Urey Lock, 1 year; Virgil Lewis, 1 year; Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Hill, 1 year.

The Baptist Young People's Union had great difficulty in getting etablished. During the first 40 years of her history Graham Baptist Church reported a B.Y.P.U. only twice — in 1926 and in 1938. But in 1949, a Baptist Training Union with Alvin Stovall as director was reported. There has been a B.T.U. every year since then. Directors have been Alvin Stovall, '49 and '50; Robert Bishop, '51; Dencle Lewis, '52 and '53; Paul Clardy, '54 through '58; Tommy Vicent, '59 through '61; Carl Sparks, '62; Fred Haley, '63 through 1965.

The Brotherhood was organized in 1955 with an enrollment of 46 — James Jennings, president. That year only three other churches he Association reported Brotherhoods: Beech Creek, Greenville First, Greenville Second, and New Harmony. Other presidents have been Claudius Casebier, '56 through '60; John Wallace Vincent, '62; Eugene Lewis, '64; none reported in '61, '63, and '65.

Graham Baptist Church since 1920 has had a Woman's Mission Society or a Woman's Missionary Union. No report was made e Association for several years between 1925 and 1945, but an organization was doubtless in existence during all of this time. Names of presidents submitted during this period are Mrs. J. W. Purvis, C. Mercer, Mrs. John Grady, Mrs. Frank Corley, Mrs. B. S. Noffsinger, and Mrs. J. W. Hite. Since 1945 presidents have been, Mrs. C. E. Daniel, Mrs. James Potts, Mrs. Alton Lovell, Mrs. Ben Woodburn, and Mrs. Dencle Lewis.

In a preceeding paragraph a statement was made that since the 1920's Sunday School work has been stressed. Frequent training courses in Sunday School administration, Sunday School
[p. 142]
teaching, and Bible study were held by local, county, and state workers. Records show that 15 teachers in this Sunday School held the Normal Diploma in 1934; and in the following years train­ing was consistently continued in Sunday School and Vacation Bible School work. The Sunday ^School attained "Standard" recognition by the State Sunday School Department year after year. Two of its workers, Mr. Purvis and Mr. Winebarger, were Associational Sunday School superintendents for a number of years, and other workers from this church were on the Associational Sunday School staff as conference leaders.

Lack of space and a lack of records make impossible the listing of the names of consecrated and dedicated men, women, and young people who worked untiringly in this effort. Associational minutes list these superintendents: J. W. Purvis, '21, '22, and '27; L. D. Browning, '23, '24, and '38; J. P. Todd, '25; Roscoe Oglesby, '26; W. L. Winebarger, '28, '29, '30, '32 through '37; '39, '40, '41, '46 through '48; '59; Carl Uzzle, '42 through '45; Robert Cash '49; Wallace Strader '50; Union Uzzle '51, '52, '58; Alvin Stovall '53 through '55, '62; Howard Moore '56, '57, '60, '61; Morris Uzzle '63, '64; Tommy Wilson '65.

Graham Baptist has had lean years and fat years financially.

In 1909 Brother L. J. Stirsman's total salary for the year was $75. The total church expenditures for that year were $75.75— nothing for missions. The annual salary of the pastors remained under $200 until the 1920's when it reached a peak of $499 in 1921. The depression years of the '30's brought the salary down to about $150 a year on the average. Brother J. P. Cleavenger, during 1932 and 1933, received less than $100 a year.

Following World War II, full time preaching with a pastor on the field brought these salaries up to the two to three thousand dollar bracket, and since 1955 the pastors' salaries have remained above $3,000 — the highest going to Brother Amos Kirkwood in 1960, $4,105.

Gifts to all missions remained under $100 a year until 1920 — none in 1909 and 1910 — and again during the 1930's. 1953 was the first year that mission offerings exceeded $1,000. Offerings in excess of this amount occurred during '55 through '58, and again in '61 and '64.

Expenditures for local work ranged from $75.75 in 1909 to $10,339 in 1956. The total amount expended in 1965 was $5,329 for local purposes and $740 for missions.

The following table shows church expenditures from 1907 through 1965:
                                   Local	    Total
Year	      All Missions         Expenditures	Expenditures  
1907-1920   	 $ 296.55	   $2,831.00	   $3,127.55
1921-1930   	 1,661.00	    6,507.00	    8,168.00
1931-1940   	   217.50	    4,555.00	    4,772.50
1941-1950   	 5,391.50	   24,561.00	   19,952.50
1951-1960   	10,025.00	   79,751.00	   89,776.00
1961-1965   	 4,960.00	   31,382.00	   36,342.00
Total	       $22,551.55	 $194,587.00	 $217,138.55

[p. 143]
1907-1965 Total number of baptisms reported: from 1907-1920, 188; from 1921-1930, 72; from 1931-1940, 102; from 1941-1950, 91; from 1951-1960, 86; from 1961-1965, 22; a total of 561.

Pastors who have served the church are: Brethren L. J. Stirs-man, 1909; P. E. Herndon. 1910-1912; John Grady, 1913-1919; T. J. Ratcliff, 1920-1924; C. S." Wales, 1925; R. L. Kerrick, 1926-1927; J. H. Boswell, 1928-1931; J. P. Cleavenger, 1932-1933; J. T. Spurlin, 1934-1936; None reported, 1937; R. E. Fuqua, 1938-1941; None re­ported, 1942; G. C. Lovan, 1943-1944; C. E. Daniel, 1945-1946; Joe Williams 1947-1949; Ben Woodburn, 1950-1953; Robert Bozarth, 1954-1955; Archie Oliver, 1956; Stanford Simmons, 1957; Amos Kirkwood, 1958-1960; Nacy Sanders, 1961-1962; Charles Daniel, 1963-1964; Jerry Alexander, 1965-.

Graham Baptist ordained Brother Dencle Lewis as a minister of the Gospel, June 19, 1955. Brethren Tommy Vincent, Howard Moore, and Howard Hope were ordained as deacons on the same day and by the same council.

The ordination council consisted of Brethren Robert Bozarth, moderator; John Bass, interrogator; C. W. Devine, ordination sermon; W. L. Winebarger, clerk. Brother John Brandon gave the charge to the candidates, to the church, and to the mission at Beechmont which had called Brother Lewis as pastor.
W. L. Winebarger, Historian.

Greenville First Baptist Church
The United Baptist Church of Greenville was effected on June 12, 1850, when Elder A. D. Sears constituted a church of 11 members. The church disolved on August 20, 1853, for the want of means.

After a lapse of 19 years, on June 12, 1869, a group of Bap­tists assembled in the Metho­dist Church of Greenville for the purpose of constituting a Baptist Church. The Rev. J. S. Coleman was appointed tempo­rary moderator, and J. W. Rust was appointed clerk. A consti­tuting council was elected, com­prised of Elders J. F. Austin, J. M. Peay, J. S. Gatton, T. E. Richey, W. D. Pannell, J. F. Jones, J. S. Coleman, D.D., and Bro. J. W. Rust.

Present at the meeting were 18 persons who proposed to go into the new church and re­ported by letter. The 18 per­sons and the council expressed a desire to unite together as a church, then set about to draw up a covenant and articles of faith. Two were selected as deacons to be ordained the next day. Also, at the initial meeting, a committee was appointed to secure a lot on which to erect a house of worship. The next day, Sunday, G. A. Eades and A. J. Lyons were proporly [sic]
[p. 144]
ordained as deacons. A constitution sermon was delivered for Dr. Coleman. Rules of decorum were presented. One candidate for baptism, Martin Marshel, was received; also another person by letter. After a night service the meeting was adjourned until the first Saturday in July. The building committee purchased an acre lot on North Cherry Street for $400.00, and a brick building, having a basement and a regular auditorium, was erected. The basement floor was rented out for several years for a privade school. This building was comleted in 1871.

In July the Church moved to attach itself to the Daviess County Baptist Association. A letter from "The United Baptist Church of Greenville' was then dispatched with a plea for admittance.

In November of the same year, the Church elected the Rev. J. T. Austin to be its first pastor at a salary of $300.00 per year. Rev. J. T. Austin served until 1872 when Elder William K. Taylor was called to the pastorship of this Church.

In 1874 Rev. E. H. Maddox was elected pastor and ordained as such, serving one year. In November 1874, the Church agreed to hold prayer meeting each Wednesday night.

By 1875 the Sunday School was having an average attendance of about 20.

In 1875 the envelope system was adopted by the church as a means of financial support.

By August of 1888 the membership had grown to 114 with a total for expenditures of $551.20.

In a business meeting in 1906, the Church authorized the organi­zation of a Baptist Young People's Union. On March 17, 1912, the Young Woman's Auxiliary was organized with 13 members.

In 1918, under the leadership of Pastor W. M. Stallings, it was decided to build a modern, well-equipped house of worship. So. in the midst of a world war, the Church proceeded with her plans to build. The last sermon was preached in the old building the fourth Sunday in July, 1918. The first sermon was preached in the new building by Dr. E. O. Bryant, State Secretary, on the third Sunday in January 1919, a little less than six months from the time the old one was wrecked. The approximate cost of the building was $32,500.00.

By this time the church membership had reached 284, and ser­vices were held each Sunday. Dr. William Dudley Nowlin was pastor.

In 1928, under the leadership of Pastor E. S. Summers, the edu­cational building was erected. In 1937, under the leadership of Pas­tor E. R. Widick, the mortages and notes against the Church were burned in a very impressive ceremony. The ashes from the notes and mortages are preserved in the library of the Church.

In July 1944, a building committee was authorized to purchase a lot and proceed with the erection of a chapel in the Depot Com­munity. A mission was established on East Depot Street, and a chapel was erected, and by June 6, 1948, dedicated free of debt. Here the Second Baptist Church was organized at the chapel on Sunday, April 3, 1949, with a charter membership of 103. Rev. J. H. Lyon, who had served as superintendent of the mission, was elected pastor.
[p. 145]
In 1958 the First Baptist Church Sanctuary and Educational Building was completely renovated and air-condition. In 1960 a new pastorium was erected on Paradise Street, the old pastorium serving as a second Adult Sunday School Department. In 1952 a home for the Minister of Music and Education was erected and paid for by February 1965. The pastorium was paid for by July 1963. The Oilman building next door to the old pastorium was purchased in 1963 and paid for by May 1964.

Plans, under the leadership of Pastor H. Curtis Erwin, began in 1965 for the enlarging of the educational building. Drawings have been made for the new addition, with construction to be under way by January 1966.

Notes by the editor based on minutes of the Muhlenberg County Baptist Association, 1907-1964.

In 1907 when this Association was constituted, the church had a membership of 120. Preaching services were held on the First and Third Sundays. J. F. Fraser was pastor with a salary of $500.00 a year. Church property was valued at $8,000; total expenditures was 503.00. Ed S. Wood was church clerk and also Sunday school superintendent.

In 1920 Dr. William D. Nowlin was full-time pastor with a salary of $3,600 a year — total expenditure was $12,525. The value of church property had risen to $40,000. Ed S. Wood was church clerk and V. M. Mosely, Sunday school superintendent. Church membership reported was 232.

In 1945 Rev. Roy M. Gabbert was full-time pastor with a salary of $3,150; total expenditure, $16,339. The value of church property was listed at $88,000. S. G. Noffsinger was church clerk; O. M. Johnson, treasurer; and Josh Powell, Sunday school superintendent. Church membership was 987.

In 1964 Rev. H. Curtis Erwin was full-time pastor with a salary of $7,200; total expenditure $75,346. Value of church property was listed at $250,000. Church membership was 1,170. L. B. Noffsinger was church treasurer; Robert P. Gardner, clerk; and Andrew J. Lampkin, Sunday school superintendent.

The church has reported 1,494 baptisms.

Gifts for missions reached an all time low during the depression years of the 1930's ($236.00) and reached a peak in 1963 ($26,470.00).

In 1966 Rev. H. Curtis Erwin was pastor, Doyle Searcy, music director. The church reported 18 baptisms, 1,216 church members, 691 enrolled in Sunday School, $19,675 contributed to missions, $199,788 expended for all purposes. The new education building was completed, bringing her property value to $500,000.

Greenville First Baptist Church Covenant
Adopted June 12, 1869
"Having been, as we trust, brought by divine grace to embrace the Lord Jesus Christ, and to give ourselves wholly to Him, we do now solemnly and joyfully covenant with each other to walk together in Him, wtih brotherly love to His glory, as our common Lord, we do therefore in His strength engage:
[p. 146]
1. That we will exercise a Christian care and watchfulness over each other, and faithfully warn, exhort and admonish each other as occasion may require.
2. That we will not forsake the assembling of ourselves together,but will uphold the public worship of God and the ordinances of His house.
3. That we will not omit closed and family devotion and religion at home, nor neglect the great duty of training religiously our children and those under our care for the service of Christ and the enjoyment of Heaven.
4. That as we are the light of the world, and the salt of the earth, we will seek divine aid to enable us to deny ungodliness and every worldly lust, that we may win the soul[s] of men.
5. That we will cheerfully contribute of our property, according as God has prospered us, for the maintenance of a faithful and evangelical ministry among us, for the support of the poor in our midst, and to spread the gospel over the earth.
That we will in all conditions, even till death, strive to live to the Glory of Him who hath called us out of darkiness into His Marvelous light — and may the God of peace, who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus Christ, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant make us perfect in every good work, to do His will, work in us that which is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen."

Greenville Second Baptist Church
Missions were started in two old store buildings in the Depot Section of Greenville in the 1940's. Services were held each Thursday night, and Sunday School and preaching services were held on Sunday afternoons. Attendance was usually good. Parking was no problem as no one had any­thing to park except his own carcass, and there were no tele­visions to keep one away.

Many people did much to make the missions a success. It would not be proper to try to name them all, for some would be omitted by mistake — some that should be mentioned, but none gave more of their time, money, and talents than those two great Christians — Doctor and Mrs. Claude Wilson.

There is no way of calculat­ing, estimating, measuring, or guessing at the amount of good these old missions did.

Along about 1939, Clyde R. Widick, pastor of the First Baptist Church, carried on his brush-arbor revival on a lot between the railroad tracks and Wickliffe Street. In the years that followed, several tent revivals were held on West Depot Street on the Home Milling Company lot, and buses were run on Sundays to carry people from the Depot to First Baptist.

[p. 147]
These old mission meetings, brush-arbor and tent revivals were forerunners of Second Baptist Church.

On June 14, 1944, a committee was appointed at First Baptist Church to investigate the possibility of securing a lot and erecting a place of worship down in the Depot Community. Brother Roy Gabbert, then pastor of the First Baptist Church, said, "Here some of our finest people live and golden opportunities present them­selves."

In November a Chapel Building Finance Committee was author­ized. In February of 1947 Mr. Austin Johnson was authorized to draw plans for the Chapel. These plans were approved by the committee the next month, and construction began soon afterward. The basement walls were up in August, and the auditorium was com­pleted by May of the following year.

The Chapel was dedicated June 6, 1948, with Brother John W. T. Givens bringing the Dedicatory Sermon. That same month the Chapel was debt free.

On September 14, 1948, the First Baptist Church called Brother J. H. Lyon, of Fairview, Kentucky, to serve as pastor and superin­tendent of the Mission Chapel.

On March 6, 1949, the First Baptist Church voted to allow the Chapel to organize into a church. This organization took place April 3, 1949, with 184 in Sunday School that day. Second Baptist was chosen as the name of the new organization.

A W. M. U. and a Brotherhood were organised during April of 1949, and a B. T. U. was organized in July of the same year.

A revival was started on June 13, 1959, with Brother J. H. Maddox of the Second Baptist Church of Hopkinsville as evangelist. This brought eighteen additions to the church, six by baptism — these were baptized at First Baptist.

On July 3, 1949, five deacons were ordained: Ivan Craig, L. B. Locke, Clarence Mercer, Curbert Shanks, and D. B. Southard.

During her first year Second Baptist Church added 38 members to her roll. Her total offerings for the year was $8,623.35. She also bought a pastorium during the year.

A revival June 4-15, 1950, with Evangelist Oscar Wells of Lubbard, Texas, brought 55 additions with 38 of these being baptized into this church.

Rev. J. H. Lyon offered his resignation October 25, 1950, and Brother W. W. Johnson was called.

Sunday, April 6, 1952, the church celebrated its third anniver­sary. Bro. John W. T. Givens was speaker in the morning service. (Brother Givens had done much work in the program of the Second Baptist Church.) Brother Roy Gabbert, who worked tirelessly in the establishment of the First Baptist Mission, also spoke. Rev. John Bass, Muhlenberg County Missionary, was the night speaker.

The church on its third anniversary burned its parsonage in­debtedness note and voted to launch a new building program to add an educational plant to the existing building. Dawson Cisney, Erie Phillips, Kenneth Stevens, Russell Hughes, and Gilmon Cisney were ordained deacons on October 5, 1952.
[p. 148]
By this time Second Baptist had seen its Sunday School develop into a Standard Sunday School, and an application had just been sent in for Standard recognition for the second time. They had launched upon a building program which was nearing completion.

Second Baptist has honored several of her members by electing and ordaining them as deacons. In addition to the ones already mentioned, these members have been so honored: Brother Melvin Dukes, May 1954; John Rhea Boggess, January 1960; Shellie Garrett, Fred Rowe III, Bruce McCormic, and Sam Dukes, October 1960; Howard Moore, August 1962; Lewis Jones and Curtis Tinkle, August 1964. John Jackson and J. R. Tomlison were recognized as active deacons December 5, 1964.

This church has licensed two of her members as ministers of the gospel: John E. Boggess, January 6, 1960, and Tommy Woodson, August 9, 1961.

Brother Charles Jones was called as pastor February 4, 1952 to replace Brother W. W. Johnson who had resigned December 17, 1952. Brother Jones resigned February 9, 1955. He was replaced by Brother Nolan Shepard. Brother Shepard was ordained by this church to the ministry June 28, 1955.

On November 9, 1955, Second Baptist voted to give Roland Me­morial Church $50 as a gift on their building program.

A new pastorium was built and open house was held for it May 15, 1957. This pastorium is located at 216 West Depot Street.

Brother Nolan Shepard resigned February 1, 1958, and Brother Randall Green accepted the call to pastor the church February 9, 1958.

Mrs. Mildred Cisney was employed as church secretary in No­vember of 1958. Mildred was the church's first secretary.

As of December 5, 1965, the church had 386 resident members, 9 members in college, 2 in military service, and 105 non-resident, making a total of 502 members. This remarkable growth is explained, in part, by the numerous revivals held in the church—usually two each year. Some of these were:

The revival led by Brother Maddox in 1949 and the one led by Brother Wells in 1950 have been mentioned in the foregoing paragraphs.

Two revivals held in 1951. Brother Oscar Wells was the evan­gelist in one, Brother E. E. Spickard in the other.

Rev. W. K. Wood was the evangelist in the 1952 revival; Rev. W. Newell Bynum, in 1953; Rev. John Boykins in 1954; Rev. John Boykins in one, Rev. Roy Shepard in one in 1955; Rev. John Claypool in one, Rev. George Cartwright in the other in 1956; Rev. M. R. Cherry in 1957; Rev. Randal Green in one and Rev. Bill Slagle in the other in 1958; Rev. Gary Powell in a youth revival and Rev. Charles Jones in the church-wide revival in 1959.

Revivals were held in march and October of 1961. Brother Odell Leigh was evangelist in the first; Brother D. E. Jones in the second. In the two 1962 revivals, Rev. E. S. Ward conducted the April meeting; Rev. Denzil Dukes, the October meeting. Doctor Verlin Kruschwitz was evangelist in the May revival in 1963; Rev. James
[p. 149]
Maddux in the October revival were held in 1964. Brother R. S. Puckett led one in May; Mrother Marshall Phillips the other in November. Brother W. K. Wood was the evangelist in April and Brother Garlan Sills in October of 1965.

Brother Randall Green resigned as pastor July 13, 1960. Brother E. E. Spickard served as interim pastor until Brother Odell Leigh, who was elected in October, came onto the field.

Wayne Johnston was elected music director March 8, 1961.

In 1960 the church began plans to build a new church. The 1962 budget designated 20% of all offerings to the building fund, and the following year she purchased two and three quarters acres of land lying on Depot and Wickliffe Street as a site for the new building. On September 4, 1963, the church adopted Master Plan A for the proposed building. During 1964 the church graded the new building site and retained Mr. Austin Johnson as general contractor.

Early in 1965 the church budget called for $20,000 over and above regular gifts to go into the building fund, and she voted to borrow $120,000 to start construction. Construction started in June.

By the end of the year, 1965, construction was largely completed, air conditioning and heating was being installed, new equipment and furnishings had been bought, and April 10, 1966 had been set as a dedication date.

Saturday night, November 6, 1965, a surprise "This Is Your Life" program was presented by the church for Brother Leigh. Quests included his parents, mother-in-law, brother, college representative, seminary class mate, family doctor, flying buddy, and some of his former church members and deacons.

A Week of Prayer for Foreign Missions was begun at the church November 28, 1965.

At the close of 1965, Sunday School had 338 enrolled and raining Union, 166.

Brother Brank Neal, who had served the church faithfully as custodian for some sixteen and one-half years, resigned effective December 31, 1965. Mr. and Mrs. John Strader were employeed to take his place.

Brother Roy Gabbert is scheduled to paint the baptistery scene in the new church.
—James E. Robards, Historian

Editor's Note:
The number of members reported in 1949 was 120. Six of these had joined the church upon a profession of faith and baptism, twelve by letter. So the membership at the time of constitution must have been 102. The foregoing history states that the membership at the close of 1965 was 502. This indicates an increase about 400% in sixteen years - surely a tribute to the zeal of this church.

Second Baptist has reported 323 baptisms, an average of twenty a year. This is very high when compared to the average of most churches in the Association.

The liberality of the church and its evangelistic zeal are demonstrated by the fact that in spite of a staggering church construction
[p. 150]
outlay, she contributed over $5,000 to missions during 1963 and during 1964.

In 1966 Second Baptist reported 188 baptisms, 507 church mem­bers, 332 enrolled in Sunday school, $5,986 contributed to missions, $39,528 expended for all purposes. Her property is valued at $250,000.

Hazel Creek Baptist Church
Hazel Creek Church, now located in Muhlenburg County five miles from Drakesboro and near the town of Belton, is the second oldest Baptist church west of Louisville - preceded only by Severns Val­ley Baptist Church in Elizabethtown which was constituted in 1781. Hazel Creek is the oldest church in the Green River Country, dating back to only five years after Kentucky became a state; the year before Muhlenberg County was organized, and in a period when Daniel Boone still lived in his forests.

Hazel Creek was organized December 3, 1797, with five members: Benjamin Tolbert, John Keith, Hannah Keith, Mahetable Morton, and George Brown. It bore the name of Hazel Fork of Muddy River. The Creed adopted in its early days reads in part:
"We the United Baptist Church of Christ on Hazel Fork of Muddy River, after giving ourselves to the Lord and to one another, think it fit to draw up a catalogue of our faith for mutual satisfaction. (Some of the articles it contained follow.)
"We believe the Old and New Testament is the Word of God, and there is everything revealed there necessary for man's salva­tion and rule of faith and practice.
"We believe in the fall of man in his federal head, and he is incapable of recovery only as rescued by Christ.
"We believe that God calls, regenerates and sanctifies all that are made meet for glory, by his special grace.
"We believe the righteous will perserve in grace to glory, and none of them finally fall away.
"We believe no minister should preach who is not called of God and sent."

Johnson says, "This body was organized near the grounds where Ward's school house now stands; yet had no house of worship, as the records show, and met at the Members' houses alternately for nearly three years. In June 1800, it met in the 'meeting house on Hazel Creek' This is the first mention of a house of worship. We are told this was a log building. The second house, also a log struc­ture, was begun April 4, 1807. . . None of the old building is to be found now, except the cornerstone, yet the spot is still sacred in
[p. 151]
the hearts of the members of the old body, whether they ever wor­ship in it or not. All the many precious souls who gave themselves to God at this sacred spot, or nearly all, have gone to their reward."

The third house was dedicated in October, 1859. The present house is a modern frame building with extra rooms.

The Hazel Creek Church has been a member of a number of associations. Frank Masters (p. 88 and 89) says, "In 1799 messengers were sent to the Mero Association, constituted in 1796, and located on the northern border of Tennessee. When the Mero body dissolved in 1803, and the Cumberland Association took its place, the church became a member of that fraternity until 1806, when she went into the organization of the Union Association. In 1810 the church united with the Red River Association, organized in 1807, and remained until 1811, and became a member of the Green River Association, but withdrew the following year to aid in forming Gasper River. In 1907, the Muhlenberg Association was constituted, and the Hazel Creek Church became a member of that fraternity."

Masters says (p. 89), "Thirteen colonies (churches) located in five counties have gone out from this mother church."

Benjamin Talbot (or Tolbert) was the first pastor, and he continued in that position until his death in 1834. He was born in North Carolina, but spent his entire ministerial life in Kentucky. He preached the introductory sermon at the Gasper River Asso­ciation six times and was Moderator from 1824 to 1830. Elder J. B. Dunn, born in North Carolina in 1805, was the second pastor. He served until 1840. Elder J. U. Spurlin, born in Christian County, was pastor from 1847 to 1853 and again in 1860. K. G. Hay pastored the church from 1842-1845; E. P. O'Bannon from 1854-1855; H. M. Utley from 1856-1858; Thomas D. Rust from 1859-1863; J. M. Peay from 1864-1865.

From the end of the Civil War to the construction of the Muh­lenberg Association, these brethern served as pastor: F. M. Sharp, 1866 and 1874-1882; F. M. Welborn, 1866 and 1882-1885; B. F. Jen­kins, 1868; J. F. James, 1869-1870; J. E. Gardner, 1872-1873; J. P. Taylor, 1885-1886; M. H. Whitson, 1888-1892; J. R. Jenkins, 1893-1895; J. W. Gill, 1896-1898; I. B. Stuart and J. R. Kennerly to 1908.

Since the constitution of the Muhlenberg Association the pas­tors have been Brothers J. C. Thompson, 1908-1909; J. W. Gill, 1910; I. B. Stuart, 1911-1933; J. C. Thompson, 1914-1915; B. S. Stuart, 1916; J. W. Gill, 1917-1919; M. H. Whitson, 1920; A. B. Dorris. 1921-1924; T. T. Moore. 1925-1928; T. G. Woodson, 1929; E. F. Johnson, 1930-1934; Drexel Hankins, 1935-1938; W. W. Johnson, 1939; Fred Fox, 1940-1945; R. Forsythe. 1946; Fred Fox, 1947-1949; Ralph A. Wicker, 1950; Charles Woodburn, 1951; R. Forsythe, 1925-1955; George Durall, 1956-1963; Raymond McDonald, 1964 to present time.

The first account of any remuneration toward the pastor was at the December meeting in 1811. It is stated at that time "The church agreed to hire a hand to work for Brother Tolbart;" for the year, 1815 the church gave him $16.25; in 1816 he got $8.00. The church paid Elder Dunn $40 in 1838. She paid Elder Peay $200.00 in 1864, this being the largest salary paid to any pastor to date. From 1871 to the close of the century the salary ranged from $75 to $100 a year. From 1907 to 1940, the church paid her pastor from $125 to
[p. 152]
$240 a year then began a rapid increase: $1,091 in 1950, $1,578 in 1955, $2,897 in 1960, and $3,070 in 1964.

Hazel Creek gradually increased the amount she gave to mis­sions from $5 in 1907 to $609 in 1964.

Like most other churches in the county Hazel Creek had preaching one Sunday a month until very recently. Now, she has full time work.

Many ministers have been ordained by this church. Johnson's history gives the following (Johnson's history was copyrighted in 1898): Leroy Jackson, November 6, 1804; Wilson Henderson, June 1, 1808; James Nanny, October 2, 1814; Robert Dudley and Simon Vaught, November, 1812; H. P. Welborn and J. D. Craig, March, 1854; F. M. Welborn, November, 1862; J. M. Newman, May, 1865; W. B. Taggart, June, 1873; C. F. Stuart, November 11, 1877. Thomas Downs, William Beard, Henry Keith, A. J. Rhoads, J. F. Whitson, and B. S. Stuart were licensed but not ordained by Hazel Creek. Other churches did the ordaining of these men.

The Gasper River Association met with the Hazel Creek Church eight times: in 1822, '31, '41, '51, '63, '70, and '82. The churches of Muhlenberg County met at Hazel Creek in 1906 to consider organi­zing a Muhlenberg County Baptist Association. This was done the following year, 1907, at Nelson Creek. Since then the Muhlenberg County Baptist Association has met at the Hazel Creek Church in these years: 1925, '38, and '63.

Johnson's history of Hazel Creek summarizes the fluctuation of membership.

"Up to 1813 the church had increased from five members to 175. Owing to the formation of other churches, and maybe other causes, she reported only 59 in 1837. In 1838 there was a great revival in the church, 123 people joining the church and increasing the membership to 182; then she declined from year to year until in 1846 she had only 93 members. By 1863 she reported 159, the next year only 145. She increased to 198 in 1871. In 1876 she reports 133; then she began to increase and had 196 in 1893. At the time of the Centennial she had a membership of 161."

The church entered the Muhlenberg County Association in 1907 with 190 members. In 1940 she reported 264, in 1964 she had 197 members, and in 1966, 195 members.

Johnson in "Part Second" of the Hazel Creek History has a list of the members who belonged to the church during the first hundred years. 1265 names are listed; 39 were colored, 539 were white men, and 687 were white women. In many cases members were listed by initial, but where given names were shown the editor counted 241 men's names and 263 womens names that were prominent Bible chararters.

The total expenditures of the church in 1907 was $155; in 1964 these expenditures had increased to $4,826, in 1966 $5,360.

Johnson mentions many great revivals when many souls were saved and many people came into the church by baptism. We do not have actual figures for the time previous to the constitution of the Muhlenberg County Baptist Association. From 1907 to 1965 Hazel Creek has reported 383 baptisms.
[p. 153]
Macedonia Baptist Church
Missions has always been the strong arm of a Missionary Baptist Church (no matter where a group of Missionary Baptists may be and no matter how large or small they may be) that carries the gospel to others and establishes churches in the name of Christ that the Kingdom of God may be ex­tended. When any church ceases to maintain a vision of missions, that church has ceased being a New Testament Church. Every community needs a light that is set upon a hill and that light must ever be the living church of the Living Saviour . . . Jesus Christ. It was through the mission-minded people of the Hazel Creek Missionary Baptist Church that such a light was set on a hill in the Rosewood Community. In November of 1856, these people who had a vision of God's Kingdom, helped organize a small band of Baptists who met November 22, 1856, in the Green­wood Schoolhouse and gave birth to what is known as the Mace­donia Missionary Baptist Church. This first meeting was opened by prayer by Elder James Craig, and after a sermon by Elder H. P. Welborn, action was taken to adopt the articles of Faith set forth in the minutes of the Gasper River Association. The church joined the Gasper River Association.

The church was organized with a small band of faithful people who numbered only nine. These nine charter members were: Rev. P. H. Rutledge, Elizabeth Ruthledge, Sara Welborn, Nicy Lee Carver, Calvin Carver, Francis Carver, Abraham Carver; and Pinkney Skipworth. The Lord added to the little group and they chose out two men from among them to serve them as deacons. These two men were P. H. Rutledge and William Carver. The church took action for Bro. G. D. Craig to give the church a suitable name. It may be that Brother Craig thought of the people from Hazel Creek when he named the church Macedonia. Truly those who came and helped found this church heard the same "Macedonian Call" that the Apostle heard (Acts 16:9-10). Until Brother Craig named the church the Macedonia Missionary Church, the church was known as the United Baptist Church of Christ. Brothers J. D. Craig and P. H. Rutledge were elected as the moderators, Brothers P. H. Carver and William Carver as treasurers, and the first pastor was Brother H. P. Welborn who served the church faithfully for a period of four years.

The Macedoma Church was truly Missionary Baptist and this fact can be assured from the minutes of September 1857. The church took action to send $1.45 to the the Home Mission Board for missions.
[p. 154]
Another element of missions was evident .in the first revival held in the home of Brother J. D. Craig.

During the time of 1862 and 1864 the members of this church proved to be the salt of the earth and the light of the world. At a time when our nation was divided by war these God loving people found that God's love has no barriers. There were two colored sisters received by experience and letter. They also received three colored brothers, John and Wesley Tetterton and Benjamin Craig. Also during this time the church elected a committee to visit the delinquent members and invite invite them to the next meeting. From the pages of the old minutes it is read where these Saints took action to no longer tolerate the evil of dancing by its members. They also voted to observe communion on the first Sunday of the first month of each season.

This early church of Muhlenberg County practiced a strict church discipline that many of today have forgotten about. The old minutes show that members were discharged for stealing, dan­cing, drinking, swearing, delinquent church attendance, breaking the Sabbath, immoral conduct, and birthing an unlawful heir.

The following is a list of pastors from the time the church was organized in 1856 to 1950; Brothers H. P. Welborn 1856-1859; J. D. Craig 1860; H. P. Welborn 1861; T. M. Welborn 1862; J. D. Craig 1863-1864; J. M. Newman 1865-1866; J. D. Craig 1867-1873; William Mercer 1874; T. M. Sharp 1875; T. M. Welborn 1876-1883; W. H. Whitson 1884-1885; George Baker 1886-1890; T. M. Welborn 1891-1893; J W. Gill 1894-1899; B. S. Stuart 1900-1901; J. W. Gill 1902-1906; S. J. Stirsman 1906; C. S. Truman 1907-1911; H. Hensley 1912; I. B. Stuart 1913-1916; C. S. Truman 1917-1918; I. B. Stuart 1919; W. M. Turley 1920-1922; Latt Grundy 923-1925; Drexil Hankins 1926-1927; No Pastor 1928; H. D. Divine 1929-1933; John Grigsby 1934-1935; T. G. Woodson 1936-1937; Ira McKay 1938-1940; J. M. Rogers 18941-1944; Albert Bailey 1945-1948; J. M. Rogers 1949; David Melford 1950.

The Macedonia Baptist Church wishes to thank Mrs. Ellen Whitmer for her time spent in copying the old church records and history of this church.
Recopied by Jo Anna Yonts.

Editor's additions taken from the Muhlenberg County Asso­ciation minutes.
Pastors who have served the church since 1950 are Brothers David Mefford 1951; Robert Bozarth 1952-1953; J. C. Gunn 1953-1956; J. H. Lyon 1957; Roy Shepherd 1958-1960; Willie D. Anderson 1961-1963; James Beeland 1964; Victor Phelps 1965.

Macedonia was a constituent member of the Muhlenberg County Baptist Association, entering with 56 members while Rev. C. S. Truman was pastor.

According to the minutes of the Association, the membership has never been large and has varied between 38 members in 1909 and 120 members in 1964. The number of members reported in some
[p. 155]
other years are 80 in 1920, 65 in 1935, 76 in 1945, 103 in 1950, and 98 in 1955.

There has been a gradual increase paid to her pastors. For several years there was no salary reported. In 1915 the annual salary was $74; in 1930, $162; in 1950, $360; in 1955, $1,200; in 1964, $3,250.

Money given to missions has varied with the years. In 1907, $1.75 was given; in 1930, $2; in 1940, $6; in 1950, $359; in 1960, $194.

Total expenditures for all purposes increased from $10.95 in 1909 to $5,625 in 1964.

Macedonia reported 265 baptisms from 1907 to 1965.

Martwick Baptist Church
In the spring of 1930 or 1931, Bro. S. P. Browning of Greenville, Kentucky, came to Martwick and conducted a re­vival in an abandoned Opera House owned by the Green­ville Coal Company. During this revival service, several in­dividuals were saved and bap­tized in Green River at Rockport, Kentucky. Following this revival a Sunday School was organized with the Nelson Creek Missionary Baptist Church providing the first lit­erature. From that day to this, the Sunday School continued, always having sufficient money for literature and expense. There was no church organized as such at this time, but attempted to have visiting preachers as often as possible, also occasionally other revival services. During this time the Coal Company allowed the use of the abandoned Opera House free of charge.

Sometime early in 1941, Bro. Charles Daniel of Beaver Dam, Kentucky, was called as pastor of the congregation. On Octorber 26, 1941, a meeting was held for the purpose of officially organizing a Baptist Church which was to go by the name of Martwick Mis­sionary Baptist Church. The church was organized with eleven charter members coming from Nelson Creek Baptist Church. They were Bro. and Mrs. Clarence Sheffield and two married daughters, Mrs. Edna Brandon and Mrs. Mattie Brand; Bro. and Mrs. Don Key; Bro. and Mrs. Jim Roop; Bro. Colia Adcock and Bro. and Mrs. Alonzo Adcock. The church voted to accept the Covenant and Articles of Faith.

Soon after this organization, a church building was begun on a lot donated by the Greenville Coal Company, who also donated some money for the church. The building was built from donations. (Dr. Claude Wilson of Greenville played a large part toward this.)
[p. 156]
Since that time it has continued as a thriving, spiritual church. At present the membership is 111. During these years there have been two young men called, ordained,and sent out as ministers of the gospel, Sunday school rooms have been added, and recently a new parsonage has been completed. Bro. Ora DeArmond is the present pastor.

Editor's note containing statistics from Association minutes: —
In 1942 the church reported 13 church members; the pastors salary was $76 for quarter-time preaching; $10 was given for mis­sions; $173 was the total amount spent.

In 1964 the church reported 11 members; the pastor's salary was $3,600 for full time service; $590 was given for missions; $8.742 was the amount spent for local church expenses and missions plus $5,500 spent on church building, making a total of $14,242.

The total number of baptisms from 1942 to 1965 has been 175.

Pastors who have served the church are Brethren C. E. Daniel, Elmer Morris, Carlos Skaggs, M. R. Rice, Robert Bozarth, Roy Geary, H. E. White, Joe Spears, Raymond Harris, Estill Goff, and Ora DeArmond.

History of Mercer Baptist Church
The beginning of the Mercer Baptist Church. Rev. Warren W. Payne who came to this community in December 1921, held a three week meet­ing with great interest. In 1922 Rev. Payne organized Mercer Baptist Church, and he was the first pastor. He had great success as did other pastors who have followed him down through the years. Mercer Church had a great number of members.

In 1938 the church was destroyed by fire, but with faithful members that didn't give up and didn't lose faith in God, the church house was rebuilt.

Mercer Baptist church has had the privilege to have six min­isters ordained to preach the gospel. Bro. Joe Elliott an outstanding pastor who succeeded Bro. H. D. Devine held a revival in October 1926. Sixty souls were saved and 42 were baptized by Bro. Elliott.

Sister Mattie Hawkins Carrol was the first church clerk. The first deacons chosen were Jasper Wilkerson, Fred Tathen, and Herman Dunning. Charlie Demis and wife are charter members of this church. He was ordained as deacon in 1943. He served as Sunday School Superintendent in 1956 when he was again elected and at the age of 79 he is still teaching. Thank God for a servant like that.
[p. 157]
Victor Phelps is pastor at this time. He was elected October 10, 1962.

Hoping this will be of interest to all of the readers, Yours in Christ, Mrs. Minnie Spears, Church Clerk.

Mercer Baptist Church
Notes by the editor based on Muhlenberg County Baptist Asso­ciation minutes.
This church was organized in 1922 with 30 members, 9 by bap­tism, 21 by letter. The Sunday school superiendent was J. H. Wilkerson — enrollment 165.

In 1935 with J.W. Elliott as pastor; John Grigsby, clerk; and Gaithel Whitaker, Sunday school superintendent, the membership had increased to 231. The Sunday school enrollment was 105.

Members listed in 1955 was 157: in 1960, 136; in 1963, 134; 1965, 101.

The total number of baptisms reported has been 420 with four peak years: 22 in 1923, 52 in 1927, 74 in 1932, and 63 in 1955.


Mount Carmel Baptist Church
F. M. Welborn in his GASPER RIVER ASSOCIATION RECORD gives these facts about the history of Mt. Carmel Church between the years 1840 and 1876: —

Mt. Carmel Church was formed by Elder Simeon Vaught, De­cember 22, 1839, 14 members bearing letters from Nelson Creek entering into covenant to wit: Michael Helsley, Susan and Phillip Helsley, G. Roll, E. Roll, Hannah Roll, Mary Glenn, T. J. Dennis, E. Vaught, R. Roll, B. T. and Mary Casebier, Robert and Agnes Wickliff. It was received into the Association (Gasper River) the following August.

He then gives this tabular exhibit from associational minutes giving the year, number of members, messengers' names, pastors, and clerks: —

Year    Members  Messengers' Names	     Pastors	   Clerk
1840     28      R. Wickliff, B.  Casebier,  J. B. Dunn    R. W.  Cundiff
                    E. Cundiff                 	
1841     33      R. Wickliff, B. Y. Cudifff, J. B. Dunn    R. W.  Cundiff
                    T. J. Dennis _           J. B. Dunn    R. W   Cundiff  	
1842     45      Robert Cundiff                                                             	
1843     42     R.W. Cundiff, B. T. Casebier J. B. Dunn	   R. W. Cundiff                               
1844     46     R.W. Cundiff, B. T. Casebier J. B. Dunn	   R. W. Cundiff                                  
1845     46     R.E. Cundiff, J. Bodine,     J. B. Dunn	   R. W. Cundiff
                   R. Wickliff                
1846     65     R.E.  Cundiff,  J. Bodine,   J. M. Bennett R. W. Cundiff
                   R. Wickliff             
1847     65     B.T. Casebier, Jacob Bodine  J. M. Bennett  R. W. Cundiff
1848	100     B.T. Casebier, R. W. Cundiff, J. M. Bennett R. W. Cundiff
                  J. Bodine 
1849	 95     B.T. Casebier, T.G. Hendrick, J. M. Bennett R. W. Cundiff
                   J. Bodine 	
1850     93     Benjamin T.  Casebier         J. M. Bennett  R. W. Cundiff
1851     93     B. T. Casebier, J. Bodine,    J. F. Austin   R. W. Cundiff
                   A. J, Rhoads  
1852     91     J. T. Casebier, T.G. Hendrick J. F.  Austin

1853     71     J. T. Casebier 	              J. F. Austin  T. G. Hendrick
1854     95     A. J. Rhoads, T. G. Hendrick, J. F. Austin  T. G. Hendrick
                   R. Wickliff   	
1855	88      W. N. Wand, B. T. Casebier,   J. F. Austin T. G. Hendrick
                   T. G. Hendrick   	

[p. 158]

Year   Members   Messengers' Names              Pastors	           Clerk
1856    90      B. T. Casebier, D. B. Roll	 J. F. Austin       T. G. Hendrick
1857   105       A. J. Rhoads, D. B. Roll,       J. F. Austin       C. A. Bodine
                    J. Bodine	
1858   95       B. T. Casebier, C. A. Bodine     J. F.  Austin      C. A. Bodine
                    W. N. Wand  	
1859   95       W. N. Wand, C. A. Bodine	 Alfred Taylor      C. A. Bodine
1860   95       W. N. Wand, B. T. Casebier,      Alfred Taylor      D. B. Roll
                    D. B. Roll  
1861   --       A. J. Rhoads, B. T. Casebier     Alfred Taylor      D. B. Roll
1862   88       J. B. Rowland, D. B. Roll,       J. S. Taylor       D. B. Roll
                    B. W. Rhoads 	    
1863  103       D. Roll, B. T. Casebier,         J. S. Taylor       D. B. Roll
                    B. W. Rhoads, J. B. Rowland    
1864  110       D. B. Roll 	                 W.  P. Bennett     D. B. Roll
1865   95       B. T. Casebier, D. Roll,         W. P.  Bennett     D. B. Roll
                    P. L. Howerton  
1866   86       B. T. Casebier, D. B. Roll	 W. P. Bennett      D. B. Roll
1867  114       D. B. Roll, H. H. Dennis	 W. P. Bennett      D. B. Roll
1868  111       D. B. Roll, H. H. Dennis,        W. P. Bennett      H. H. Dennis
                   B. T. Casebier   	
1869  105    	D. B. Roll, H. H. Dennis,        W. P.  Bennett     H. H. Dennis
                   B. W. Rhoads, P. L. Howerton   
1870  110       D. B. Roll, H. H. Denis,         W. P. Bennett      H. H. Dennis
                   B. T. Casebier, P. L. Howerton 	
1871  112       F. M. Welborn, B. T. Casebier,   W. P. Bennett      H. H. Dennis
                   H. H. Dennis, P. L. Howerton 	
1872  117       F. M. Welborn, E. B. Welborn,    W. P. Bennett      H. H. Dennis
                   H. H. Dennis 
1873  105       F. M. Welborn, H. H.  Denis,     W. P. Bennett      H. H. Dennis
                   P. L. Howerton 	
1874   98       F. W. Welborn, B. W. Rhoads,     W. P. Bennett      H. H. Dennis
                   P. L. Howerton, H. H. Dennis 	
1875  129       F. M. Welborn, B. W. Rhoads,     J. T. Casebier     H. H. Dennis
                   P. L. Howerton, H. H. Dennis 	
1876  122       F. M. Welborn, D. B. Roll,       J. T. Casebier     H. H. Dennis
                   H. H. Dennis, P. L. Howerton 	

Mrs. Marion Dennis, whose husband was clerk when the church disbanded and in whose home the old church records are kept, furnished these facts about the Mt. Carmel Church for the years between 1876 and 1907:

Pastors who served the church were Brethren J. T. Casebier, 1877; J. K. Maddox, 1878-1879; Wiliam Linsley, 1880-1881; J. K. Maddox, 1882; J. A. Bennett, 1883-1887; J. P. Taylor, 1887; F. M. Welborn, 1888; W. C. Pierce, 1889; W. P. Henry, 1890-1898; H. P. Brown, 1899; W. P. Henry, 1900 - (no information given for period from 1903-1907.

Brother H. H. Dennis, Sr. and his son H. H. Dennis, Jr. served as clerk during all of this period.

Mt. Carmel was a constituent member of the Muhlenberg County Baptist Association. Brother H. P. Brown was her pastor; H. H. Dennis, Sr., her clerk; S. O. Sears, H. H. Dennis, Sr., and B. T. Casebier, her messengers. She reported 104 members. During the following years she reported:

Year   Members	Messengers' Names	       Pastors	         Clerk
1908    112     A. E. Rhoads, Joe E. Casebier,  H. P. Brown  H. H. Dennis
                    H. H. Dennis,  Sr.  	
1909    111     A. E. Rhoads, S. O. Sears,      H. P. Brown  H. H. Dennis
                    J. H. Stringer, P. R. Helstley   	
1910    111     A. E. Rhoads, H. H. Dennis,     H. P. Brown  H. H. Dennis
                    J. H.  Stringer	
1911    122     A. E. Rhoads, H. H. Dennis,     H. P. Brown  H. H. Dennis
                    A. E. Rhoads, J. D. Casebier   	
1912    112     A. E. Rhoads 	                H. P. Brown  H. H.Dennis
1913    117     A. E. Rhoads, S. O. Sears,      H. P. Brown  A. E. Rhoads
                    J. H. Stringer, F. Heltsley 	
1914    118     A. E. Rhoads, S. O. Sears,      H. P. Brown  A. E. Rhoads
                    H. H. Dennis, Walter Kimmel 	
1915    107     A. E. Rhoads, F. Heltsley,      H. P. Brown  A. E. Rhodes
                    H. H. Dennis, Walter Kimmel	

[p. 159]
Note: There is another page of statistics, but only the names and dates of the pastors of this church are given here:

P. E. Herndon, 1916-1923; A. B. Dorris, 1924-1925; I. B. Stuart, 1926-1933; Morris Prince, 1934; H. S. Wiggington, 1935-1936; None reported, 1937; Fred Fox, 1938-1939; L. B. Wice, 1940-1942; W. E. Sirrea, 1943; Kermit Lovelace, 1944-1945; G. W. Berry, 1946-1947; Everett Hudson, 1948; W. D. Oakley, 1949-1953; Jewell Vincent, 1954-1956; Homer Cartwright, 1957; Kermit Lovelace, 1958. The church disbanded July 11, 1959.

Marion Dennis, grandson of the first Dennis who had served as clerk, was elected clerk on May 10, 1959. That made three generations of the Dennis family who had held this position for Mt. Carmel.

Mt. Carmel baptized 187 people into her fellowship from 1907-1958. In 1958, she reported 30 resident church members and a Sunday School enrollment of 34.

Mount Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church


[From William L. Winebarger, A History Of The Muhlenberg County Baptist Association, 1966. Document provided by Joe Williamson, Philpot, KY. - jrd]

Kentucky Baptist Church Histories
Baptist History Homepage