We find from the records that the Association was organized at Crittenden Kentucky, on the 12th day of August, 1860. That pursuant to a previous agreement, seven churches were represented at that meeting by delegates, viz: Grassy Creek - Elder T. Loomis, N. Belew, J. Thornton, G. W. Night, J. W. Loomis and J. Smith. Crittenden - Elder M. Loomis, A. Carlisle, W. T. Hambrick, R. L. Martin, T. Metcalf, and T. G. Cunningham. Unity - J. Tomlin, Wm. Tomlin and T. Morris. Pleasant Ridge - H. Blackburn, J. Stith and Wm. Lancaster. Oak Ridge - Wm. Collins and J. A. Brown. Short Creek - Elder T. Greathouse, M. M. Arnold, A. Riley and Wm. Childers. MtCarmel - S. H. Ashcraft, J. Morehead, J. Frakes, J. Billiter and D. Dewvaul. We find there were present, by request, as delegates and helpers, from two neighboring Associations, viz: Ten Mile - Elder J. Ambroes, J. Bass, L. Morris and B. S. Grizel. Campbell County - Elders A. M. Mullins and Wm. Grizel.
These delegates from the seven churches, mentioned, together with the representatives from the two Associations named, met in the Baptist Church at Crittenden, on the day and date above given, for the purpose of organizing a Baptist Association. The records do not show what time in the day this council convened, but the evidence seems to be in favor of the evening of Friday (August 12,1860). Rev. M. Loomis was chosen Tempoary Moderator, and T. G. Cunningham temporary clerk. After the temporary organization was completed, it seems from the record that certain articles of faith were adopted, which we give in full below.
The following is the language of the records, verbatim, relative to the organization of an Association: "The subject of being constituted (or organized into an Association) having been duly considered and investigated (it) is unanimously agreed that the foregoing named churches form an Association upon the articles of faith this day adopted, to be known and designated by the name of the Crittenden Association. Whereupon it was pronounced as such and the right hand of fellowship given accordingly."
ARTICLES OF FAITH FOR THE CRITTENDEN ASSOCIATION
We do agree to unite and constitute an Association upon the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, as the only infallible rule of faith and practice and from them we have learned and do believe as follows:1. That there is one true and loving God whom we worship, who is represented and made known to us as Father, Son and Holy Ghost, and to us, mysteriously united but equal in essence, power and eternity.After the adoption of the articles of faith and the organization of an Association settled, Elder Martin Loomis was elected the first Moderator and T. G. P. Cunningham first clerk, also the time of holding the subsequent meeting was fixed on Tuesday after the second Saturday in September of each year, and
2. That man has fallen from his primeval rectitude and thereby incurred original sin and total depravity.
3. That there is an election of grace by the love of God in Jesus Christ; sinners are called and regenerated by the effectual operation of the Holy Ghost: their justification is alone by the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ, and that all real saints will finally persevere by grace to eternal glory.
4. That believers are regenerated persons; are the only proper subjects of baptism which can be administered only by immersion.
5. That Jesus Christ will judge the world in the last day when a resurrection of the dead will take place and that the wicked will be sent into everlasting punishment and the righteous taken to life eternal.
continue for three consecutive days. Certain rules of order and decorum were adopted, which appear upon the records, after which the Association adjourned till the following morning at nine o'clock.
On Convening the following morning pursuant to adjournment Elder M. Loomis delivered an address to the Messengers, taking for his subject the 13th chapter and part of the llth verse of Corinthians which read: "Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace."
It was decided to hold the next or first annual meeting with the Grassy Creek Baptist Church, in Pendleton County, on the date fixed and that Elder M. Loomis to preach the Introductory Sermon, and T. Metcalf to write the Circular Letter.
The statistics show, as reported by the churches at this meeting, the numerical strength to be: Grassy Creek members 100, Crittenden 73, Unity 33, Pleasant Ridge 47, Oak Ridge 20, Short Creek 103, Mt. Carmel 27, making a total of 403.
From the records we find that seven churches, with an aggregate membership of 403 constituted the Crittenden Association at the time of its organization.
From the information your Committee has been able to gather, we find that of the number who were present at and participated in the organization of this Association, the following Brethren have since been called to their eternal home, viz: T. Lomis, J. Thornton, J. Smith, T. Metcalf, T. G. P. Cunningham, J. Tomlin, Wm. Lancaster, Wm. Collins, A. Rily, Wm. Childers and D. Dewval.
The next or first regular session was held with the Grassy Creek church, in Pendleton County, on the day and date fixed, and Elder M. Loomis preached the first Introductory Sermon. He chose for his text the l?th verse of the 3rd chapter of the General Epistle of St. James, which reads: "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits. Without partiality and without hypocrisy."
The statistics of this session show no increase in the number of churches but an aggregate membership of 464, an increase of only 61 during the year. This, however, does not show the work of the churches in detail. The table of statistics of the first regular meeting shows that during the year the seven churches took in by Baptism, letter, reinstatement and relation 77 members; an average of 11 to each church. But there was a loss during the year by death, letter and exclusion, reducing the net gain to 61.
The records of this, the first regular meeting, are full of very interesting features which no doubt viould be cheerfully accepted by you as a part of this report, but your committee refrains from any further reference except a brief mention of the Circular Letter written by T. Medcalf, which was quite well suited to the occasion, for our government was then being agitated from border to border, even unto a fearful and bloody war. In that letter the writer insists that the members of the churches of the Crittenden Association hold firmly to the faith in Him who rules and governs all things. There was no session held in 1862 on account of the war which was then being waged between the States, but from that time forward we learn that regular sessions were held annually, and that the number of churches gradually increased to 19, the present number composing the Association. The membership of the churches has increased from 403 to 2020, or from an average membership of each church of 57 4-7 to 105 5-19.
We find from the records that the different work of the Association was not taken up very readily, but after a few years were inaugurated gradually and from time to time and pushed forward as circumstances would allow. In 1865 the Association took the first step in the direction of Sabbath Schools. The following is a resolution adopted at the session of that year:
Whereas, We believe Sabbath Schools to be of interest to the Baptist cause, therefore
Resolved, That we invite the agent of the same to visit the churches our Association.
However primitive and meager the action may seem now, it has led to the development and growth in that branch of the work till every church in the Association perhaps has a well organized Sabbath School. Later on the different branches of the missionary work were taken up and in a similar manner developed. In 1878 the Executive Board was created. It was composed then, as now, of one member from each church in the Association. This Board is required to make a report at each annual session, and these reports show the work of the Association in these several branches of missions.
The Orphans Home at Louisville has not been neglected by any means. It has received annual contributions from the Association. And now finally, when we view the work of the Association retrospectively, we are made to realize its growth and progress from the development of the various branches of the work; and further that it has been an organization of wonderful possibilities for good and that much of their possibilities are still to be exercised. Much of the advancement and growth of the Association is due to the earnest efforts of its several Moderators. Rev. Martin Loomis was the first, who is living at quite an old age and whose heart is still full of Christian purity and zeal. He was his own successor several times. Thomas Loomis was the second, and Rev. F. Garner was the third, both of whom are dead. Rev. Thomas Stephens was the fourth; Rev. M. M. Arnold the fifth; Rev. J. M. McKiniey the sixth, and J. D. Violette the seventh.
The several Clerks also have done efficient work and aided much in the development of the Association. T. G. P. Cunningham was the first Clerk, he was followed by T. Medcalf, R. Tanner, J. Frakes, J. N. Eckler, J. T. Scott and Henry Cram.
Your Committee has been made to realize the necessity of a complete record of all the sessions of this body; therefore, we would recommend that the proceedings of each session, in the future, be kept in a suitable book for that purpose. All of which is fraternally submitted.
M. M. Arnold, W. R. Elliston, Committee, J. D. Violette,
So closes the account in the minutes of 1897.
From the Minutes of 1900 we find the following information: The Association reported 19 churches, 111 baptisms, 2,108 members, $83.16 to Missions, $65.39 to Orphans, and $8.49 to minister's aid. This seems to be the turning point in our Association. We were building up momentum until 1900 and have been going forward ever since.
Report on Missions, from 1903 Minutes:
We your committee beg leave to submit the following: 1. We find that 11 churches of 18 in our Association last year contributed the sum of $87.57, 7 churches contributed nothing. 2. We find this year 7 churches contributing the sum of $60.58, 11 churches contributed nothing. 3. We find that the amounts mentioned are being contributed by, and from, a membership of 2,359. 4. We believe that our people and membership are conscious of their duty. We feel, at most points, they are preached to enough and that the system of collecting for this cause is well enough understood. 5. We feel that this neglect of duty is due to the lack of cultivated spirituality. 6. Therefore we recommend that the pastors of the various churches continue to preach and teach the importance of missions. 7. And to overcome a greater future slothfulness in this part of church work we most heartily recommend that Sabbath School Teachers be urged to teach the importance of giving as a command.
J. D. Violette, Wm. Mitts: Committee
In 1907 the Association met at Dry Ridge and the following is from the
From the Corresponding Letter: "There seems to be a progressive spirit manifested among us."
Resolution in regard to B. Y. P. U. and W. M. U.: "In view of the fact that the young people of our churches may be and ought to be a great force for good in our Master's service, be it,
Resolved, That in order to encourage their organizations, a committee be appointed of this association to report on their work at next meeting.
Second, that the report of the B. Y. P. U. of Williamstown Church (which had transfered from Elkhorn Association), as read here, be incorporated in ours for this year.
Third, That we request the pastors of the churches of this Association to present this work to their young people, and make an effort to organize unions in each of their churches. Further, be it
Resolved, That a committee be appointed to report on the Woman's Missionary Union Work, and that report be incorporated in our Minutes."
In 1913 the Association met at Crooked Creek, and 24 churches reported 115 baptisms, 36 by letter, 4 restored, 63 letters granted, 0 excluded (There were many people excluded prior to 1913, but from here on it is seldom done.), 6? dropped, 26 deaths, and 2,425 members.
The minutes of 1915 contained the following Resolution on Unification, which is the beginning of the Cooperative Program in Crittenden Association. The Cooperative Program actually started with Kentucky Baptists.
"Offered and read by G. C. Mullins. On Motion to adopt and after remarks by Elder F. M. Marshall, resolution received:
Resolved, That we the Crittenden Association of Baptists endorse the report of the committee on unification as recommended, First, Because it systematizes our giving. Some neglected, worthy objects will receive due consideration. Second, Because it will give us a definite task to each individual church which furnishes a goal to which the church may work. Third, Because it will help the different Boards to meet their obligations as they arise. They will know what they can expect from the churches and can plan their work accordingly. Fourth, Because we see a method of uniting our different Boards to a certain extent and thus lessening our pay roll for office hire and field workers and thus having more money for actual work".
In 1915, we have the first recorded report of the W. M. U. of Crittenden Association, as follows:
"Report read by Elder Curry. On motion to adopt and after remarks by Elder Curry, Chas. Mangold, Amos Stout, Z. Pigg and F. M. Marshall, report received.
Too much praise can not be given to the noble women of our churches throughout the Southern Baptist Convention who have so generously supported the causes which we fostered, and enlisted themselves for the extension of the Master's Kingdom. During the past year the women of the South gave for Home and Foreign Missions $315,102.41, more than one third of the entire contribution of the Southern Baptists, viz: $924,585. Yet one third of the churches within bounds of the Southern Baptist Convention have W. M. U. The cash gifts and box contributions of the Southern Baptist Convention since its organization in 1888 have amounted to $367,846, not including amounts given for State Missions and all other objects of State work.
The W. M. U. now own property to the value of $123,236, consisting of the W. M. U. Training School Building, Settlement House, the Merchants Home, W.M.U. Office Building at Baltimore, Md., endowments, enlargements and mortgages. Until March of the past year we had no W.M.U. in Crittenden Association. At that time a W. M. U. was organized at the Dry Ridge church and Miss Corinne Conrad was elected Superintendent. A W. M. U. was also organized at Short Creek about the same time. The women of our other churches have also solicited an interest in the work. Inasmuch as we recognize the great value of the W. M. U. work which has both the hearty sympathy and the support of the Foreign, Home and State Boards, be it resolved, First, That this Association heartily endorse the W. M. U.
work which has been organized within its bounds. Second, That a report be had each year of this work."
The 1916 Minutes contain a picture of J.R.Frakes and state that he is the only survivor wiio was present at the organization of the Crittenden Baptist Association.
J. N. Eckler, who had served the Association for 33 years as Associational Clerk, steps down and G. D. Mullins is elected to the responsibility. He served until 1926. We are indebted to those who have faithfully preserved our records for us.
The minutes of 1917 contain the following resolution offered and read by G.C. Mullins:
"Resolved, That we send one messenger to each, the Southern Baptist Convention, and the General Association of Kentucky, the Association to bear the expenses of each. Motion and second to adopt the resolution. Motion carried. Dr. N. H. Ellis was elected Messenger to the General Association. Rev. Charles Mangold was elected messenger to the Southern Baptist Convention."
In 1918, the Minutes state that the Association gave "Financial support to Mt. Moriah and.has been asked to assist Unity". The W. M. U. report of 1918 is as follows: "We realize there is some opposition among the brethren to this work and that very little is being done in this branch of the work in our Association.
Therefore, we your committee recommend that the pastors of the various churches earnestly consider this work and if possible organize work in their churches.
We have only three W. M. U. organizations in the Association, at Knoxville, Dry Ridge, and Williamstown."
In 1922, Sherman Baptist Church became a member of the Association. In Crittenden Association there are 8 W. M. U.'s and they contributed $1,208.65.
In the Minutes of 1923 is a report on Laymen's Movement and Stewardship and Tithing, which is the forerunner of the Brotherhood movement.
In the 1924 Minutes appears a report on the Seventy Five Million Campaign:
"In May, 1919, at Atlanta Georgia, in the Southern Baptist Convention there was launched a campaign to raise $75,000,000 in five years, in order that we might meet the great opportunity for evangelizing the world that succeeded the war. This was placed in the hands of a commission with L. R. Scarborough as manager. This commission carried out this plan in true Baptistic way. It only advised and asked us to do certain things and raise certain sums of money. The quota, for our Association was $25,000.00 ($5,000 per year). We accepted the same by vote of the Executive Board and asked the churches to raise certain apportionments of this." The Association met its goal.
The 1924 report showed that there are now five W. M. U's in the Association.
Mason Baptist Church and Lawrenceville Baptist Church were admitted to Crittenden Association in 1925. During this year 7 churches were reported with W. M. U.s, having 16 organizations.
In 1926 Shiloh Baptist Church joined the Association.
In 1926 G. C. Mullins relinquished the responsibility of Associational Clerk and M. J. Belew was elected. He served for one year and F. E. Beighle was called on to serve, and for 20 years he faithfully recorded the work of the Association.
Bethany Baptist Church became a member of the Association in 1927. One new W. M. S. has been organized at Shiloh Baptist Church, and a Royal Ambassador Chapter at Williamstown.
In 1929, Demossville Baptist Church united with the Association.
In 1932 the report shows that Crittenden Association has 23 churches. These are divided into three groups with leaders for each group. Only four churches at this time have W. M. U.s: Dry Ridge, Knoxville, Crittenden and Williamstown. A great effort is made this year to get a W. M. U. in every church where a Sunday School exists.
The 1933 report states that there are now 5 W. M. U's with 10 Young People's organizations.
In 1935, the W.M.U. reported 8 W.M.U's, 12 Young People's Auxiliaries. From the District Board Reports of 1935 we take the following: "Your servant, the field worker, has been handicapped in carrying out his plans for this Association the past year. An emergency arose in North Bend Association which he was compelled to look after and he was only permitted to visit five or six of the churches. The churches and pastors where he visited gave him a real welcome, the pastors giving their pulpits over to him.
The Board thanks the churches for their cooperation and believes, brethren, that with a greater cooperation this association could be made one of the best in the state."
Respectfully submitted, W. A. M. Wood
The records show that in 1936 there were 10 W.M.S's, 15 Young People's organizations, 21 Sunday Schools, 5 B.T.U's, 2 churches reporting full-time services, 9 half-time, 11 fourth-time. The number of Baptisms that year were 121, 46 were received by letter, 6 by restoration, there was $1,647.14 given for missions.
Corinth Baptist Church was admitted to the Association in 1939. This year there were 12 W.M.S. 12 Young People's organizations, 23 Sunday Schools with 19 of them graded, 4 churches this year reported Vacation Bible Schools.
1937 marked as the beginning of the work of C. S. Beighle as Associational Sunday School Superintendant. Here already we see fruit of his work. The Sunday School organization was proving a strength to the churches. In 1933 there were only 14 churches reporting Sunday Schools.
In 1940 22 churches reported Sunday Schools with an enrollment of 2,241, and there were 8 Vacation Bible Schools held. Dr. J. W. Black, State Executive Secretary spoke at the Annual Meeting on the text taken from Luke 19:10. The clerk reported it was a powerful message.
In 1942 there were 10 churches reporting Baptist Training Unions and 11 churches held vacation Bible Schools. During the year the churches reported 219 for baptism, 63 received by letter, 2 by restoration. At this time 3 of the churches are full time, 15 half time, and 5 fourth time. C. S. Beighle reported that for 3 years our Association had led the State in Standard Sunday Schools. This year we had 11 Standard Sunday Schools. The Association voted to give $1,000 over 3 years to enlarge our Kentucky Baptist Children's Home. The Association sponsored a revival at Flingville in a barn.
In 1946 Mr. Howard Colvin in October begins work with colored people in Williamstown, with 38 colored people, and in 1948 reports 33 families consisting of 76 people, receives Home Life, Western Recorder, and Open Windows. Also each home is visited each quarter and 33 Adult quarterlies, 5 young people's, 4 Intermediates, 6 Juniors, 5 Primaries, and 6 Beginners are placed in the homes. The Association continued to elect him to head up this mission outreach until his death in 1976. Mr. Fred Turpin has been elected to succeed him.
There was a mission Vacation Bible School held for colored children at Dry Ridge in 1947 with 10 enrolled and 10 average attendance.
At the meeting of the District Mission Board at Williamstown on April 12, 1948 a committee composed of Rev. R. S. Moore, Rev. G. H. Clark and Rev. W. M. Wilson, were appointed to investigate calling a missionary in this association. They talked with the State Mission Secretary, Dr. J. C. Boone, about the matter and learned that the State Mission Board would give them some help financially. The churches were polled and most of them pledged to help in such a program. At the Annual Meeting the Association voted to approve the idea of an Associational Missionary and instructed the District Board to proceed further with working out the details.
The idea of working with Union Association on the calling of an Associational Missionary was advanced at the December District Board Meeting, but when Union is approached on the matter they reply that they want a missionary
for full time, so the idea of combining with Union in calling a Missionary is dropped.
In 1949 Mr. Sherman Beighle in his annual report, states that the attendance at the Sunday School Associational Meetings has been the best of any year so far with an average attendance of 190 at each meeting. 14 churches held Vacation Bible Schools, 14 churches had Cradle Rolls, 7 had nurseries, 12 Extension Departments, 6 churches had Standard Sunday Schools.
Every now and then a humorus note slips into the record. The clerk inserted into the minutes that Rev. ____ took the floor and palaverated. On another occasion he said that he took the floor and spoke on everything.
From March 25 to April 8, 1950 a great Simultaneous Revival was held in the churches of the Southern Baptist Convention east of the Mississippi river. In our Association 23 revival meetings were held with 249 baptisms resulting that year.
In 1951 there were 14 Training Unions. Jail services were conducted by the Training Unions that year with several pastors and Unions participating. Another Simultaneous Revival Crusade was held in the Association this year and during the year 42 revivals were held with the result of 214 coming into the churches by baptism and 130 additions by letter.
In 1952 seventeen Training Unions were reported with a membership of 1122. A tent Revival was held by the Association at Cordova, but nothing further was done there. There were 11 Standard Sunday Schools, and the Association was reported as a Standard Association. Nineteen Vacation Bible Schools were held. There are 11 W.M.S's in the Association now, 13 churches have no missionary organization.
Mr. Sherman Beighle, who had served as Associational Sunday School Superintendant since 1937, stepped down and his son Mr. Edward Beighle was elected to this position. They were big shoes for him to fill.
In 1953 there was $9,756.78 given through the Cooperative Program, with $6,772.28 designated mission gifts, 19 churches gave through the Cooperative Program.
At the January Board Meeting Bro. Wendell Belew speaks in regard to an Associational Missionary, and a Committee was appointed to see churches and be ready to report at next Board Meeting. At the April meeting a committee composed of Rev. W. M. Lowrey,chmn., Rev. G. C. Bridges, Rev. R. S. Moore, Rev. J. D. Duncan and Rev. G. R. Henson, were appointed to work with the State Board in securing a missionary for the Association. At a called meeting July 5; Bro. G. R. Henson led the discussion on securing a missionary. Bro. W. T. Pepper, Belfry Ky., in Enterprise Association had consented to come if approved by the District and State Boards. The State would pay his salary of $225.00 each month and the Association would pay his rent and expenses. Bro. Henson was given authority to rent a house for him. He was present at the Associational Annual Meeting which was held at Mt. Carmel Baptist Church.
The District Board reassembled following the Associational meeting to discuss housing for the missionary. Renting and buying were both discussed. Motion was made and seconded to authorize committee to buy if they can find suitable place and make arrangements with bank at Crittenden for down payment. At a called meeting of the Board at Williamstown on August 30th, a letter was read from Rev. Eldred M. Taylor, Assistant to Dr. Boone, stating that he thought it best for Bro. Pepper not to come on the field, so his name was dropped. After much discussion in regard to buying home for the missionary a motion was made that $10,000 be the limit paid for a home, and it carried.
On November 16, 1953 Bro. Bill Smith began his work with Crittenden Association as their first Associational Missionary. He began in a fine way and the Association saw the advantage of having an Associational Missionary working on the field. However, he did not stay long with the Association, resigning his work in January 1955.
In 1954 Mr. Robert Hisel is elected Associational Treasurer. He brought with him an experience in the field of accounting and has made a real contribution to the life of the Association. He has continued from that date to this present time (1976) to serve the Association faithfully and efficiently. There has been continuous progress in the finances in the Association.
At a called meeting at Dry Ridge Baptist Church, Rev. Taylor and the committee recommended Bro. Thomas H. Francis as Associational Missionary, and he was called to serve. Crittenden Association adopted its first budget amounting to $3,420 and went into effect January and it went into effect on January 1, 1955. Most of the churches have supported the program financially in a fine way. The churches reported 18 Training Unions this year with 175 attending the "M" Night program.
At the January meeting of the District Board a letter from Grassy Run church was read stating that they were withdrawing from the Crittenden Association, the General Association of Kentucky Baptists, and the Southern Baptist Convention. The letter was discussed and a motion was made and carried to write a reply to their request expressing our regret for their withdrawal and indicating that the door is open for their return at any time they wish, providing they follow our doctrines and plan of cooperation.
The Sunday School report in 1955 showed we had 23 Sunday Schools; 10 churches with Standard schools, also, the Association was Standard. There were 19 Vacation Bible Schools with an enrollment of 1500 and average attendance of 1250. There were 270 Study course awards earned this year. In the Training Union 285 study course awards were earned.
In 1956 the total Mission expenditures were $18,473.63. The Training Union Director, Rev. James Sowder, reports 300 attending the annual "M" Night service. Mrs. Charles Duncan was elected W.M.U. Superintendant, Mrs. F. M. Clinkscales having served as Superintendant since 1928 (31 years). What a record of faithfulness! The Associational Brotherhood was organized with Mr. Fred Turpin as president.
In 1957 Dr. W. C.Boone, Executive Secretary for Kentucky Baptists, brought the Missionary Message at the Annual Meeting. Mrs. Kenneth Harrison at this meeting was elected Associational Clerk. She brought with her an experience that has proved very valuable to the Association in office work, book keeping and typing. The total mission expenditures of the Association were $19,183.
The 1958 report shows quite a difference from the report just a few years previous; there were 21 churches reporting preaching every Sunday, Baptisms 102, by letter and otherwise 146. The total resident membership 2650, non-resident 1714, number tithers 545, churches with budgets 8, receiving Western Recorder 5, local missions 2, churches having Vacation Bible Schools 19, Training Unions 16, W.M.U.'s 8, W.M.S.'s 11, and the total mission expenditure $21,567.
Bro. Thomas H. Francis after serving as Superintendant of Missions for more than 3 years, resigned to accept a call to become Superintendant of Missions for Henderson County Baptist Association in West Kentucky. He did a monumental work in the time he was here in the association, proving himself a tireless worker with great efficiency in all that he did. He left the Association with a good program and organization.
During the year a splendid School of Missions was held with 10 churches participating. This was their first School of Missions. As a result of the School of Missions the Association began to sponsor Mt. Repose Mission in a suburb of Cincinnati, Ohio. Mr. Melvin Riley, former pastor of Knoxville Baptist Church, was the Mission Pastor.
Quarterly Youth Rallies were attended by large group of young people. This year marked the beginning of a real music program in the association. There were several "Hymn Sings" during the year and 1 Group School of Music.
The Regional Music Festival is held in the Association at the Williamstown Baptist Church.
Our Association was host to the Regional Brotherhood meeting, with Dry Ridge Baptist Church being the host church. The Associational Brotherood sponsored a Father/Son Banquet at Crittenden Baptist Church.
The Regional Baptist Training Union Convention was held this year at the Williamstown Baptist Church.
A Vacation Bible School Clinic was held at the Dry Ridge Baptist Church. The first associational Evangelism Clinic was held.
Rev. Fred E. Richardson, Associational Training Union Director, reported "M" Night attendance as 163 with 10 churches represented. During the year 160 study course awards were earned.
Unity Baptist Church this year failed to send a church letter to the Association in its annual meeting. Shiloh goes half time.
1959 - The Association was concerned about securing a new Associational Superintendant of Missions and conferred with Rev. A. B. Colvin about the matter. Rev. R. T. Daugherty had been made chairman of housing committee for Associational Superintendant of Missions and brought a report to the Association in which the following recommendation was adopted: "We recommend that our Association pursue the course of providing an established home for our Associational Missionary by purchasing a house within reasonable range of our financial ability. We further recommend that if the Association looks with favor upon this matter that committee be appointed at this session to seek something positive and that said committee call for a special meeting of this body to report the findings (which shall include all the mechanics of the potential) for action by Crittenden Association of Baptists."
Rev. R. E. Hampton began his work as Associational Superintendant of Mission on April 25, 1959.
Bro. Chester Bowen, Associational Training Union Director, reportes 16 churches having Training Unions, but said he "some of them are not active", and he made a plea for the churches to realize the importance of the training program. Seven churches during the year earned 296 awards.
The total mission expenditure this year was $19,209.
Mrs. Fred Turpin is elected W.M.U. President and reports 2 new W.M.S.'s during the year, with a total of 13 in the Association.
1960 - The Treasurer, Mr. Robert Hisel, reports expenditures for the Asscciational work this year $4,466.00. The Building Fund for Missionary's home set aside out of ending balance of 1959 budget $500.00, designated from the Lawrenceville Baptist Church $100.00, making a total in the Building Fund of $600.00.
The Associational Sunday School Superintendant, Mr. Ed Beighle, reported 12 monthly Associational Sunday School meetings, 171 study course awards in past year, and 18 Vacation Bible Schools held.
The Association in its Annual Meeting adopted a Resolution opposing the election of a Roman Catholic as President of the United States on the grounds that "the Roman Catholic Church is an international religions/political organization whose religious and political dogmas are in absolute conflict with the American constitutional principles of the separation of Church and State, Religious liberty, the prohibition against the use of public tax money for sectarian (denominational) purposes, and in view of the fact that a faithful Roman Catholic is bound by a prior allegiance of loyalty to his church and its heirarchy, we do not believe that if such a person became president of our nation he could impartially defend these basic freedoms of the United States while remaining true to his religion." The resolution was submitted by R. E. Hampton, Robert L. Campbell and Kenneth Cole. The occasion for the resolution was the nomination of John F. Kennedy by the Democratic party for president. So much time was taken for discussion that Rev. Robert E. Morris did not have time for his sermon and he was asked to prepare it in condensed form that it
might be printed in the minutes. There were 285 in attendance at the Annual Meeting which was held at Crittenden Baptist Church.
At the 1961 meeting Mr. Norman Ferguson, Training Union Director, reports 15 churches with Training Unions; attendance on "M" Night 201 from 14 churches, awards earned this year 538 in all categories. There were 142 baptisms in the churches this year and 125 received by letter and otherwise. 19 of our churches had Vacation Bible Schools. The W.M.U. Junior organizations showed fine growth this year. There are now 9 Sunbeam units with an enrollment of 109, 12 G.A.s with enrollment of 111, 3 Y.W.A. units with enrollment of 19. There were 7 Honor W.M.U.s.
The Building Fund for Associational Missionary's home has now grown to $902.16.
The work at Oak Ridge was revived by Associational Missionary who conducted a very successful Vacation Bible School there. The doors of the church were opened for services again and he served for awhile as interim pastor.
Mr. Norman Doane, the Brotherhood Associational President reports 5 Brotherhood in Association. During the year an Association Brotherhood and R. A. Banquet was held in the Williamstown school cafeteria with 120 in attendance. Laymen's Day was observed in the churches of the Association.
The total mission expenditures of the churches this year were $20,352.
In 1962 Mr. Robert Hisel, treasurer, made recommendation that $20.00 per month be designated to fund for Missionary's home. Motion was seconded by Mr. C. S. Beighle and carried by Association.
Grassy Run Baptist Church sends in request to re-enter the fellowship of Crittenden Association and the record says that they were accepted with "gladness of heart".
The Mission Committee reported: "During the past year Crittenden Association contributed $9,234 through the Cooperative Program. We asked for $2,880 of this back to help support our Associational Missions program. This year we asked for $2,400 or $480 less than last year".
Rev. R. E. Hampton made a motion and it was seconded by Geo. W. Landrum, that the evening offering at the Associational Meeting be given to Rev. G. R. Henson as a love gift because of the serious illness of his daughter, and that August 26, 1962 be designated as "G. R. Henson Day" in the local churches and an offering taken on that day for Bro. Henson's family. An offering of $847.54 resulted for this much beloved former pastor and his family who had meant so much to this association.
Rev. Hampton resigned effective December 31, 1962. He rendered an effective service to the association.
In 1963 the number of churches reporting W. M. U.s 14, Training Unions 16, Brotherhoods 3, Sunday Schools 24 with an enrollment of 3,199 and an average attendance of 1,650. Our Associational W. M. U. was Honor for first time.
Rev. A. B. Colvin met with Missions Committee of the Association and suggested sharing a missionary with Union Association. Such a meeting was held at Williamstown Baptist Church on April 12 to discuss the matter. The salary was to be shared equally by the Associations. The salary was agreed on and the decision was made that the missionary live at Falmouth, this town being the nearest the center of the territory to be covered. A program of work for the new missionary was drawn up and adopted by the Association.
A called meeting of the two Executive Boards was held September 23,1963 at Falmouth Baptist Church and a unanimous call was made by the two Executive Boards of Rev. W. L. Grumpier as Associational Missionary. He had been pastor of Central Baptist Church, Maysville, for some 15 years prior and had formerly served under Dr. J. T. Black and Dr. W. C. Boone in State wide work.
In 1964 there was a tragic fire in the association as Bethany Baptist Church was destroyed and the churches were encouraged to extend them a helping hand.
Total gifts to missions this year were $27,642. The Building Fund Balance was now $1,207.00
This year an outstanding award was given the Associational Clerk, Mrs. Kenneth Harrison, by the Research and Statistics Department of the Sunday School Board of the Southern Baptist Convention. The Minutes of this Association were judged to be "Outstanding". In subsequent years she has received 8 other such certificates of achievements, all of which are hung in the Associational Office.
The W. M. U. reports 16 churches with 19 W.M.S's, Crittenden, Sherman and Dry Ridge each have 2 Societies. Also there are 5 Y.W.A's, 16 G.A's, 19 Sunbeam. Bands with a Day Camp held at Dry Ridge on recreational grounds. Our Association was Honor (W.M.U.) again, and also received certificate for reaching Anniversary Goals set for W.M.U. 75th Anniversary.
Mrs. F. M. Clinkscales, who had been serving as Associational Librarian since 1955 reported 8 churches with church libraries.
Training Union Director, Mr. Osa Holion,reported 15 churches with Training Unions. We had one participant in the Regional Young People's Better Speaking Tournament held at Gano Ave. Baptist Church in Georgetown Ky. He was Dale Beighle of the Turner Ridge Baptist Church.
A Pastor's Conference and supper was held on the first Saturday evening of each month at Mitt's Cafe in Williamstown. Mr. Jess Mitts and Mr. Herbert Caldwell furnished the supper. This continued for several years, but because of lack of interest was discontinued. We appreciate deeply layment [sic] who appreciate what such a meeting could mean and lay themselves out to make it possible.
In 1965 Mr. G. W. Longbons, Brotherhood President, reported, 4 Associational Brotherhood meetings held during the year. "The brightest spot in the Brotherhood work" he said, "is found in the Royal Ambassador work". This year our R. A. boys made a creditable showing at the State wide Track Meet held at Cedarmore.
Total mission expenditures this year were $30,267. The District Missionary reported that he had travelled 25,452 miles in his work with the two associations. There was one Central Training School held at Williamstown Baptist :Church with State Sunday School Workers teaching the five different courses offered.
In the Association this year there were 3 Standard Schools, 17 Vacation Bible Schools, and an Associational V.B.S. Clinic (held in both associations) there were 422 study course awards earned.
In 1965 a Bell and Howell 16 mm motion picture projector, and a 500 watt Filmstrip Projector with slide attachment, purchased by the Association. They also entered the CAVE Broadman Film Plan, which enabled the Association to get films at great reduced price.
Mrs. Dorothy Livingood was elected W.M.U. President.
Another devastating fire destroyed the Knoxwille Baptist Church building on January 7, 1966.
In this year Mr. Ed Beighle stepped down as Associational Sunday School Superintendant and Mr. Fred Turpin is elected in his place. He received a standing vote of appreciation from the Association for his work over the past 14 years. He and his father, Mr. Sherman Beighle, have shepherded the Associational work for the past 29 years.
There were 14 churches with 17 W.M.S's, 3 Y.W.A's, 14 G.A's, 10 Sunbeam Bands with 122 enrolled. A day Camp for World Friends was held on Dry Ridge Recreational grounds and Mrs. Eric McBee, the Associational Sunbeam leader said, it is the best camp yet". Mrs. Wilbur Hutchinson is elected W.M.U. President.
The Youth program in the Association was reactivated and every month an Associational Youth Meeting was held, with the last meeting held on the last day of the Annual Associational Meeting. They presented an evening program as the young people gave their testimonies and presented several beautiful musical numbers. Dr. Harold Sanders, the State Executive Secretary, came from Louisville to speak on the occasion. Another big feature for the year was a Youth Retreat which was a 3 evening meeting held at Dry Ridge Baptist Church. It featured
recreation, fellowship, fcod, conferences, and an inspirational worship program each evening. Rev. Jack Sanford, pastor of the Florence Baptist Church, was speaker. Rev. Hugh Roberts was our enthusiastic Youth Director.
In October 16-21 a School of Missions was held in the two Associations with 30 churches participating, 12 churches in Union and 17 churches in Crittenden. Resulting from the School of Missions has been a deepened mission concern and many definite mission projects undertaken, viz: several truck loads of used clothing sent to the mountains, support of a missionary working in the mountains. Many Bibles and much literature sent to help in the work of missions, and some special workers going from the district to help in the work of missions.
In 1967 Seventy one Sunday School workers met at Shiloh Baptist Church to take a census and determine the possibility of reviving the church and Sunday School. Rev. G. R. Pendergraph, of the State Board, came from Middletown and helped take the survey. He drew a large map of the territory locating all the houses and roads. Shiloh had been closed for some time and they had asked for some church to sponsor the work there.
In our association this past year there were 19 Vacation Bible Schools. We now have 13 R. A.Chapters, A 5 day Sunbeam Day Camp was held again at Dry Ridge.
1968 - The Association this year provided for $40.00 each for 4 Sunday School workers to attend Cedarmore or Ridgecrest, and the same amount for 2 Training Union workers.
An Area Evangelistic Crusade was held at Falmouth Kentucky with the two Associations cooperating in bringing the E. J. Daniels Evangelistic Team to the area. His large poleless tent seating 2,200 was placed on the grounds of the Pendleton County High School and from July 7-21 services were held with an average attendance of 2,000 each evening and on closing night of revival an estimated attendance of 2,800. The District Missionary served as General Chairman and coordinator in the campaign. God blessed in the effort as 314 registered decisions, 174 making professions of faith, 300 pledged to be soul winners, 1,800 pledged to tithe, 197 young people pledged to live pure lives, several hundred couples renewed marriage vows, 10,000 Good News By A Man Named John were distributed.
The total mission expenditures for the year was $35,166; $18,210 going through the Cooperative Program.
In 1969 the Treasurer reports that the Savings Account (Building Fund) is now $6,455.03.
The name of the Minutes changed to "Annual", on recommendation of Mrs. Harrison.
Honor recognition was awarded our Associational W. M. U. Organization by Southern Baptist W. M. U. for past year.
Total mission expenditures this year $39,023.
Our Youth organization had a Baptist Booth at the Grant County Fair. Rev. Larry Martin, Youth Director, led the youth in giving out tracts to thousands. Inspirational and devotional music was constantly played. This booth and the way the young people conducted themselves drew county wide comments.
In 1970 the total mission expenditures were $43,751; $23,480 through the Cooperative Program.
This year a total of 14 Associations in the State reached the highest recognition in W. M. U. work. Our Association was among them.
We now have 11 churches with libraries.
Mr. Norval Jones, our Assn. Music Director, reports "The Crittenden Association is the only one in Northern Kentucky, so far as is known, that has a 24 piece orchestra and a trumpet trio. We thank God for our talented young people." We had Eugene Quinn, of the State Music Department, lead a School of Music February 1-5 at Williamstown Baptist Church, with an enrollment of 89 and an average attendance of 68 in the classes each evening.
A District School of Missions was held with 22 churches participating.
In November a Central Training School was held at Williamstown Baptist Church with classes taught by State workers, 86 workers in the Sunday School were enrolled in the classes.
In 1971 the Associational W. M. U. again received the recognition as "Distinguished". Mrs. Fred Turpin is elected President for coming year.
Mr. W. L. Hammond, our Sunday School Director, held 12 interesting and helpful Associational Sunday School meetings this year with an average attendance of 51. (Should have been 200!)
Our Youth had O. J. Peterson and the God Squad from the Oak Hills Baptist Church in Cincinnati Ohio, for a week-end Revival called "A Spiritual Happening." There was a large attendance of several hundred young people. At Christmas the Young people went to Rink's Department Store for a glorious time of singing Christmas Carols and giving out tracts. Between the months of January and April our youth led in 4 Revivals in and around our Association, at Sherman, Grassy Run, Burlington and Short Creek. In June, 22 young people from 9 different churches held a song fest at KOA Camp Grounds, Crittenden. A variety of music was presented and gospel tracts were passed out to campers. In July, again a booth was set up at Grant County Fair. Rev. Keith Blair, Youth Director, has led our youth in a very active program.
Total mission expenditures this year $45,149, with $22,139 going through Cooperative Program. The interest in missions is growing as 2 of our churches conduct worship services in rest homes and 1 church is conducting a Sunday School in a rest home. One church is having Sunday morning worship in a camping center.
In 1971 Mrs. Fred Turpin, W. M. U. President, starts publishing an associational W.M.U. paper entitled "A W.M.U'er's Day". We now have 54 organizations in our Associational W.M.U. program of work.
Mr. W. L. Hammond had 11 well planned and interesting associational Sunday School programs through the year. The attendance, however, at all associational meetings is dwindling. There seems to be a feeling on the part of our people that the Associational programs are optional or indeed superfluous.
During the year Mr. Paul Blair formed a Youth Choir and after much hard work a Cantata "Love Transcended" was presented 3 times, at Williamstown, Pleasant Ridge, and Grassy Run. The young people again were at the Grant Co. Fair and led a Hymn sing there, and passed out tracts. Bro. Keith Blair and Mr. Paul Blair, made a great team working with the youth. The young people this year also had a closing youth night at the Annual Associational Meeting. Bro Larry Martin came back as speaker for the occasion.
1972 - Total mission expenditures for the year were $46,362; $24,393 went through the Cooperative Program.
The District Missionary reached the age of 65 during the year and fell under the compulsory retirement rule of the State Convention, and they discontinued their part contributed to his salary. However, both associations voted for him to continue his work with them if he so desired.
During the year he led in the work of restoration of Historic Indian Creek Baptist Church, located 4 miles east of Cynthiana on highway 36. This is the oldest church building west of the Alleghenies in which continuous services have been held. Services had been discontinued in 1965 but were begun once again.
In November Dr. Harley C. Chiles led in a Preview study of the book of Galatians at Williamstown Baptist Church.
The Associational Youth Choir under the leadership of Mr. Paul Blair prepared a musical "Now Hear It Again" and it was presented in Sherman Baptist Church and Short Creek.
The Dry Ridge Baptist Church begins a mission on E Z Street with Mr. Fred Turpin as director.
In 1973 the total mission expenditures were $52,287; $27,503 going through
the Cooperative Program. The Savings Account (Building Fund) has now grown to $7,096,81. The Associational Missions Budget this year $6,400.00.
The Associational Youth program again very active, under the leadership of Mr. Paul Blair. A folk musical "Now Hear It Again" was presented and at Easter "Hallelujah For The Cross". The film "So Long Joey" was shown to a large number of young people.
The Director of Missions repainted and repaired the old Belmount Baptist Baptist Church Building, now being used as a mission by Berlin Baptist Church.
1974- The High Light of this year in W.M.U. work was the MISSION FAIR held at Williamstown Baptist Church on July 12th, with an estimated attendance of over 500. Mrs. Fred Turpin and her helpers in W.M.U. did a splendid job in presenting missions.
On May the 30th Bro. Crumpler suffered a heart attack, and on the following day a second one. He was hospitalized for some 21 days and for 3 months was confined to his home. During this time he resigned Union Association, but Crittenden continued his services after his convalescense. Indeed his salary was continued by them as though he were performing his duties. He will ever be grateful that God has given him such wonderful people with whom to work.
There is another word that appears in the title of the Director of Missions, the word "Interim". Since he reached retirement age the word was inserted by vote of both Associations.
The total mission expenditures this year were $55,865, through the Cooperative Program $29,772.
This year the W.M.U. reported 16 churches with Baptist Women organizations, 3 Baptist Young Women, 9 churches with Acteen organizations, 9 churches with Girls in Action organizations, 6 churches with Mission Friends - a total of 55 organizations. The Acteens were especially active during the year, conducting a number of Backyard V.B.S.s, 27 Acteens and 9 leaders attended National Acteen Convention in Memphis Tenn., going by chartered bus June 25-29. Mrs. Norman Doane is the Acteen leader who did the work in getting this all organized. Knoxville wrote a skit that was printed in the Accent magazine in Birmingham; they presented it also at Eastland Baptist Church in Lexington Ky.
We now have 13 churches in the association with organized choirs.
While we now can report only 8 churches with Training Unions we had an unusual honor to come to the Association this year. Miss Nancy Kennedy won first place in the State Sword Drill Contest, and Miss Debra Howe won 2nd place. Both girls went to Ridgecrest to represent the State of Kentucky. Both girls are from Knoxville Baptist Church.
The Youth program again received an enthusiastic support, many of the young people participating in work in the Rehabilitation Center in Crittenden. Christmas Programs were presented by them in a number of churches. The film "The Cross And The Switchblade" was presented to a packed auditorium of several hundred people. Mr. Paul Blair directed through the year.
A bible study pre-view of the book of Acts was taught by Rev. Paul Baxter at the Williamstown Baptist Church in November.
1975 - total mission expenditures for the year were $60,176; $32,250 going through the Cooperative Program. Expenditures in the Associational program were $6,128.00.
The Reserve Fund (Building Fund) showed we had voted to send $300.00 to help Falmouth in wet/dry election, and $925.00 spent to help Acteens on Memphis trip. The total now being $6,131.06.
During the years Rev. W. L. Crumpler has served as Director of Missions, a monthly paper has gone into the churches encouraging support of missions and outlining the programs for the month. Also the churches through this medium are kept in touch with one another as a news report is given on what's happening in the churches; first it was District News Cast, Now the Chronicle.
During this year (1975-1976) our efficient associational clerk, Mrs. Kenneth Harrison, has been stricken with cancer and all of us have felt a deep concern for her. It seems the Lord has spared her to us, and though at this time she is under chemo-therpy treatment, she has carried on the responsibilities of her office. How grateful we are for her and her work over these years. Without her such a work as this would not have been possible.
In May of 1976 Dr. and Mrs. Dale Beighle went to Ethiopia as Foreign Missionaries. They are members of the Turner Ridge Baptist Church. We feel that this is a fruit of the mission emphasis over the years. Our prayers are with them, and their two children, as thy go to this difficult field of work.
We had hoped that we could give the complete picture through the 1976 Annual Meeting, but some of the churches have been dilatory about getting their church letter in to the Associational Clerk and we will not be able to complete the history with the final figures.
There are some things in the history as we look back over the years that can greatly encourage us. Progress has been made as the churches have carried out the Commission of our Lord. There are some danger signals though on the horizon that we need to notice.
We seem to have lost something of the Associational concept. While our churches are making progress, we have, I'm afraid, taken the position too many times of the independent Baptist group, "All that counts is the local church". It has been said of the man who is wrapped up in himself that he is wrapped up in a mighty small package. It can never be said, of course, that whatever our churches are about is small. In fact there is no such thing in God's eyes as a smaall church, they are all about a great, world wide, task. Too often, however, our churches and people excuse themselves for taking no interest in Associational programs and concerns by saying "that's no concern of my church". All that the Association is about is a concern of each church. The reason the Association exists is to strengthen the churches. A strong Association means that more help is given the churches in accomplishing the task the Lord has given them to do.
A bright spot in the associational picture is the thing that is taking place among our young people. I feel that God in an unusual way is moving in the lives of our young people just now and I believe He is preparing the way for the Bold Mission Thrust of the days just before us. So I feel that as Paul expressed it we "thank God, and take courage".
We as churches have made progress, but we got where we are by working together."
[This type-written history is from the Crittenden Baptist Association Office. - Scanned and formatted by Jim Duvall.]
More Kentucky Baptist Church Histories
Baptist History Homepage