Prior to the fall of 1785, each of the churches which had been planted in the territory of Kentucky was isolated from the rest by distance and by lack of any kind of organization through which they could work together in harmony. In view of this condition, the leading brethren began to discuss the propriety of an Association. Because of the division existing between the Regular and Separate Baptist churches, it was thought advisable to hold a preliminary meeting, preparatory to forming a permanent union.
John Taylor thus speaks of the situation: "We soon began to contemplate an association; for that purpose, and partly to bring about a union with the South Kentucky Baptists, we held a conference South Elkhorn, in June, 1785, but failing in the union with the South Kentucky Baptists, we agreed to meet as an Association at Clear Creek, 1st of October, 1785."1 Up to this time, eighteen churches had been constituted, eleven of these were Regular Baptists, and, seven, Separate Baptists. At least nineteen Regular Baptist preachers were in the new country, and eleven Separate Baptists to minister to the spiritual welfare of the churches and to evangelize the settlements then scattered over a large territory.
THE ELKHORN ASSOCIATION
According to appointment a Convention met on June 25, 1785, with the South Elkhorn Church, located in Fayette County, near Lexington. Five Regular Baptist Churches sent messengers to this conference. South Elkhorn was represented by Lewis Craig, pastor, William Hickman, and Benjamin Craig. Clear Creek sent John Taylor, pastor, John Dupuy, James Rucker and Richard Cave. Great Crossings Church, constituted one month previous, was represented by Elijah Craig, pastor, William Cave and Bartlett Collins. Tate's Creek Church sent John Tanner, pastor, and William Jones. Gilbert's Creek Church had two messengers, George Stokes Smith and John Price. Lewis Craig was chosen moderator and Richard Young, clerk. Augustine Eastin, James Garrard and Henry Roach, being visitors, were invited to seats in the meeting. An agreement was then adopted that all matters, coming before the Convention, would be decided by majority votes.2
Two questions were raised and settled in this meeting. The first was, Whether the Philadelphia Confession of Faith adopted by the Baptists, should be strictly adhered to, as the rule of the Union; or whether a suspension thereof, for the sake of society, be best? The grave question was, whether there was any serious hope of effecting a union between the Regular and Separate Baptists. The Separates had persistently refused
to adopt any Confession of Faith. If the pending Confession of Faith was adopted, the Separate Churches would either abandon their position, and accept the Confession of Faith, or reject the proffered union. The Convention adopted the Confession of Faith "to be strictly adhered to." The Separates rejected the union, and the breach was widened between them. There was great confusion in the churches caused by this continued division. In many instances, two churches would occupy the same community, bearing the same name. This condition continued about fifteen years.
The Second Question presented to this preliminary conference was the propriety of forming an Association. The question was decided in the affirmative and the churches were requested to send messengers to meet September 30, 1785, at the Clear Creek Church for the purpose of constituting an Association.
In response to this call, messengers from six churches met "in the house of John Craig on Clear Creek" in Woodford County, on Friday, September 30, at 3 o'clock, P. M., to form an Association. An opening sermon was preached by William Hickman. The text was Exodus 23:30, "By little and little will I drive them out before thee until thou be increased and inherit the land." The text and perhaps the sermon were very appropriate for the times. The messengers from these little churches, about to form an Association, had travelled a long distance and were in constant danger of Indian attack. The churches, which they represented, were located in thinly populated settlements, in the midst of a vast wilderness, which teemed with savage tribes, thirsting for their blood. The preacher, no doubt, exhorted the saints, on that occasion, to lean on Jehovah for protection from the repeated dangers, that they "be increased and inherit the land."
Messengers were sent from six churches as follows: Gilbert's Creek - George S. Smith and John Price; Tate's Creek - John Tanner, William Jones, and William Williams; South Elkhorn - Lewis Craig, William Hickman and Benjamin Craig; Clear Creek - John Taylor, James Rucker and John Dupuy; Great Crossings - William Cave, Bartlett Collins, and Robert Johnson; Limestone - Wm. Wood, Edward Dobbins. A constitution was adopted as follows: "Being assembled together, and taking into serious consideration, what might be most advantageous for the glory of God, the advancement of the Kingdom of the dear Redeemer, and the mutual comfort and happiness of the Churches of Christ; having unanimously agreed to unite in the strongest bonds of Christian love and fellowship, and in order to support and keep that union, We do hereby adopt the Baptist Confession of Faith, first put forth in the name of the seven Congregations met together in London in the year 1643, containing the system of Evangelical doctrines agreeable to the Gospel of Christ, which we do hereby believe in and receive."
The Association made the following comment on two articles of the Confession of Faith: "But something in the third and fifth chapters, we do except, if construed in that light that makes God the cause or author of sin; but we do acknowledge and believe God to be an Almighty Sovereign, wisely to govern and direct all things so as to promote His own
glory. Also in chapter 31st concerning laying on of hands on persons baptized as essential in their reception into the church, it is agreed by us that the using or not using that practice shall not effect our fellowship to each other."
The term Regular Baptist was adopted in the following statement: "As there are a number of Christian professors in this country under the Baptist name, in order to distinguish ourselves from them, we are of the opinion that no appellation is more suitable to our profession than that of 'Regular Baptist', which name we profess."
On the following day, Saturday. October 1, 1785 the first Baptist Association west of the Alleghany Mountains, was, constituted, to be known as Elkhorn. William Cave was chosen Moderator. He came to Kentucky from Virginia in 1781 and was a brother-in-law of Lewis Craig. The Association declared that all matters of business shall be determined by a majority vote.
The Gilbert's Creek Church the oldest in the Association, sent in a request that a committee be appointed to confer with the church as to its standing. The Tate's Creek Church sent in a query cconcerning persons holding the error of unconditional salvation. The Association advised the churches to deal tenderly with such persons, but if they cannot be reclaimed, then exclude them. Another query was presented concerning Christians holding public office. The Association declared "that it is lawful for any Christian to bear office, either Civil or Miltary, except ministers of the gospel."
The policy was adopted, that hereafter no query shall be received in the Association, "but what is first debated in the church and inserted in the church letter." It was also agreed that Quarterly Meetings be appointed to be held with the churches at Tate's Creek, Great Crossings and Limestone.
Beginning August 15, 1786, the second annual session of the Association was held with the South Elkhorn Church, near Lexington. John Taylor was chosen Moderator, and Richard Young, Clerk. Three new churches were received - Town Fork, constituted with ten members, the previous July; Bryant's Station, in April, with eight members, and Boone's Creek, November, 1785, with fourteen members.
A request for help came to this session from a number of Baptists near the Forks of Dix River, in Garrard County. A committee, consisting of Ambrose Dudley, John Tanner, Benjamin Craig and Bartlett Collins, was appointed to visit them on the fourth Saturday in August. A church was supposed to have been constituted at the Forks of Dix River by Lewis Craig in 1782, but the appointment of this committee with two ministers presupposes some disorganized conditions among the Baptists at that point, demanding attention. It is known that the Forks of the Dix River Church entered into the formation of the South Kentucky Association in 1787, and remained in that body until 1793.
The committee appointed the year before to look into the standing of the Gilbert's Creek Church, reported the church dissolved. This church
planted by Lewis Craig, out of the Travelling Church, had been absorbed by South Elkhorn, and a Separate Baptist Church had been constituted in the same place, by the same name.
In August, 1787, the third annual session was held with the Bryant's Station Church, located five miles northeast of the town of Lexington. Edward Payne was elected moderator. The following three churches were received: Hanging Fork of Dix River (later changed to Providence), located in Lincoln County, constituted by William Marshall, with twenty members in 1787 Coopers Run, a small church, constituted in .1787, located in Bourbon County, near the present site of Paris; and Marble Creek, later called East Hickman, gathered by William Hickman, June 15, 1787, located on the Southern border of Fayette County.
A query was presented, "Whether it is agreeable to scripture for churches to suffer men to preach and have the care of them as their minister that are trading and entangling themselves with the affairs of this life?" The answer was, "That it is not agreeable to scripture, but that it is the duty of the churches to give their ministers a reasonable support."
The subject of feet "washing" was discussed and referred to the next Association. It was agreed at that time "that the Association has no right to interfere with the internal affairs of an orderly Church." The query was presented - "What rule are we to receive Baptist members by from the old country, or elsewhere not of our Association?" The answer was: "All members coming from churches of our faith and order, bringing an orderly letter of dismission from said orderly church we advise to be admitted, and all Baptists coming from churches of other order by experience." It was agreed to enter into correspondence with the old Philadelphia Association, and with the Ketockton in Virginia by letter and by sending delegates, when convenient.
The Association met with the South Elkhorn Church in a Spring session, May 31, 1788. Corresponding messengers from Salem Association, William Taylor and Joshua Carman, made some objections to Elkhorn Association for tolerating the churches in practicing or not practicing, the laying on of hands on persons newly baptized. A committee consisting of Lewis Craig, Elijah Craig, and Ambrose Dudley was appointed to confer with this committee. After a conference of the two committees, on the subject involved, the difficulty was removed, and the visiting messengers took their seats in the body.
The following query was presented from the Limestone Church: "Whether churches belonging to the Association, that do not comply with that solemn duty of supporting their minister with a comfortable living, so as to keep them from worldly incumbrance, shall be held in the fellowship of this Association?" The subject was discussed but no decision was made on the question.
Eleven churches were represented and reported thirty-eight baptisms, thirty-five received by letter, and a total of five hundred fifty-nine members. Clear Creek Church reported one hundred forty-eight members, and Limestone one hundred thirty. A table of statistics appeared in the minutes for the first time.
The Association met with the Clear Creek Church, beginning October 25, 1788. Ambrose Dudley preached the Introductory Sermon and John Gano was elected Moderator. The Forks of Elkhorn, located in what is now Woodford County, was constituted in June, 1788, by the famous pioneer preacher, William Hickman; and the Buck Run Church, located in Woodford County, was constituted October 1st of the same year. The policy was adopted that it was disorderly for any of our churches to receive any excommunicated member from any of the churches of our denomination "without first having written information of the charges from the church which they come from."
At the meeting of the Association on May 30, 1789, with the Great Crossings Church, a letter was presented, which had been received from the General Committee of Baptists in Virginia, announcing that the Regular and Separate Baptists had united in that state, into one body, under the name of United Baptists, and recommending that the same thing be done in Kentucky. The Association replied to this communication, and agreed to drop the name Regular in all letters going out from the Associations. The South Kentucky Association of Separate Baptists received the same letter from this General Committee, and in response assumed the name of United Baptist Association in Kentucky.
In this session of the Elkhorn Association, a request was received from the United Association of Baptists, with their delegates desiring to discuss the question of uniting the two Associations. Their delegates, John Bailey, Joseph Bledsoe, William Bledsoe, and Andrew Tribble were invited to seats in the body. The Elkhorn body then appointed James Garrard, John Taylor, Robert Johnson and A. Eastin to confer with this visiting committee. This joint committee called a meeting to convene on the second Friday in the follwing August, at Harrod's meeting house, for the purpose of attempting to effect a union of the two Associaions. The meeting was held as announced, but all efforts toward the union failed.
The main point of difference between the Regular and Separate Baptists was in their attitude to the Confessions of Faith. The Regulars adopted the Philadelphia Confession with some modification, as an expression of doctrine in their churches and associations. The Separates refused to subscribe to "any creed but the Bible." The Regulars also regarded the Separates as unsound in some of their teachings. They charged that some of the leading preachers of the Separates had adopted universalism, while others were Hell Redemptionists, and that most of them practiced "open communion." The Elkhorn delegates in this meeting answered the Separates, "that as long as so great a diversity of sentiment prevailed, with regard to the Bible, a union that would be for their mutual happiness, could scarcely be hoped for."3 The first Thursday in August was appointed a day of fasting and prayer in all the churches of the association.
The Second Session held in 1789, beginning on October 30, met with the Boone's Creek Church, located in the East part of Fayette County. The churches reported two hundred eighty-eight baptisms. John Gano preached the introductory sermon and was chosen Moderator.
The Association was held in Lexington in 1790 beginning on August 27. James Garrard was chosen Moderator. The Indian Creek Church, in Harrison County, was received. Thirteen churches reported to this session one thousand three hundred sixty-five members. The Association expressed the opinion that the office of Elder, distinct from that of preacher, is a gospel institution.
The session of 1791 was held with the Coopers Run Church, in Bourbon County, beginning on August 26. James Garrard was re-elected Moderator. Four new churches were received as follows: Mays Lick, located in Mason County, twelve miles from Maysville, was constituted with four members by William Wood, and James Garrard, on November 28, 1789. The church grew rapidly, and in 1797, reported to the Association 43 baptisms and a total of 137 members. The Stroder Fork and Taylor's Fork, two small churches, continued but a few years and ceased to exist. Cave Spring Church was located in Tennessee. A committee was appointed, composed of Augustine Eastin, James Garrard and Ambrosem Dudley to draw up a Memorial to be presented to the Convention to be held at Danville in April, 1792 for the purpose of adopting a State Constitution for Kentucky, requesting said Convention to take up the subject of Religious Liberty and perpetual Slavery, in forming the Constitution. The new constitution for Kentucky was adopted on April 3, 1792, and the State was admitted into the Union of States on June 1st of the same year, permitting slavery.
The session of 1792 met on August 31, and John Gano was elected Moderator. The Crab Orchard Church of Garrard County, formerly called Cedar Creek, was received into the body. This church was constituted by William Marshall, in 1791 with forty members, but had grown to four hundred as a result of a great revival. The Columbia Church located in the Northwest territory of the Ohio also came into the Association.
The first session of 1793 was held in May and John Gano was Moderator. Grassy Lick Church, in Montgomery County and Flat Lick, in Bourbon County were received into the body. A committee consisting of Ambrose Dudley, James Garrard, John Taylor, John Price and Augustine Eastin was appointed to visit South Kentucky Association of Separate Baptists to confer with them on the subject of union between the two bodies. The churches of both Associations arranged to send messengers to a meeting to be held at Marble Creek Church in Fayette County the following July. A large number of messengers gathered and agreed on the terms of union, but some of the Separates opposed the union in such a way as to defeat it. This so displeased four of the churches and a number of pastors of the South Kentucky Association that they withdrew, and went into the formation of Tate's Creek Association of United Baptists on the 23rd day of November following.
The subject as to the validity of baptism as administered by a Pedo-baptist, brought over from the last session was up for discussion, but was answered evasively. Also a missionary spirit prevailed in this May session, when a sum of $70.00 was appropriated to the expense of sending some brethren to Tennessee on a missionary tour.
The second session of 1793 was held with the South Elkhorn Church, commencing on October 12. John Gano was elected Moderator. The Springfield Church, located in the county seat of Washington County, was received. At this meeting correspondence was begun with the four churches which earlier that same month had seceded from South Kentucky As-sociation and which on November 23, 1793 organized themselves into Tate's Creek Association. In the meeting of Elkhorn Association in August, 1794, this relationship was dissolved because of dissatisfaction among the churches. However, in 1797 the correspondence with Tate's Creek Association was resumed.
In the session of 1794, Ambrose Dudley was elected Moderator and John Price, Clerk. In 1795, the Association met August 8, James Garrard was Moderator and only 18 baptisms were reported, though Elkhorn Association contained half of the Baptists of Kentucky.
In 1796, "we have the first intimation of doubt, as to the morality of selling intoxicating drinks. It conies in the form of a query from the Licking church, as follows: Whether the church is justifiable in shutting the door against a member of a sister church, that offers his membership, for the cause of retailing liquors according to law? The Association answers in the negative; but the presenting of the query proves that some church was unwilling to receive a liquor dealer into her fellowship, or at least, doubted the propriety of it."4
In the session of 1797 held with the Clear Creek Church, John Shackleford preached the introductory sermon, Ambrose Dudley was chosen Moderator, and John Price, Clerk. The Association gave an opinion on the subject of funerals as follows: "Funeral processions, attended with singing, conform too much to the anti-Christian customs and ought to be omitted in the churches of Christ. But there can be no impropriety in a servant of Christ preaching at that time and place, for he is to be instant in season and out of season. Christian prudence ought to decide on the subject. But to suppose a sermon necessary to the decent burial of the dead, we wish discountenanced." Another question was raised about pastoral support. "Are churches bound by the Scriptures to contribute to the support of the pastoral ministry?" The answer given was "God hath ordained that they who preach the gospel should live by the gospel."
The session of 1798 was held at the Forks of Elkhorn. Ambrose Dudley was chosen Moderator and John Price, Clerk. Two churches were received, as follows: Flower Creek and Lees Creek. In 1799 four churches were received, Hurricane, Elk Creek, Russell's Creek and Drennon's Creek (later New Castle). All of these four latter churches "were newly constituted."
Ambrose Dudley was Moderator of the session of 1800, which was held at Bryant's Station. Twenty-seven churches were represented, and reported eighty-two baptisms. One church was received and one reported dissolved.
The Association met with South Elkhorn in 1801 on August 8. David Barrow was Moderator and John Price Clerk. Ten churches were received bringing the total up to thirty-seven, which reported three thousand
eleven baptisms and a total membership of four thousand eight hundred fifty-three. The Association now extended over a vast territory from Columbia Church, near the mouth of the Little Miami in Ohio, to Cumberland Settlement, in Tennessee. In 1802 there were forty-eight churches, with a membership of five thousand three hundred ten. Thus we see how this old fraternity has grown from six churches to this great proportion in seventeen years.
A great spiritual dearth prevailed in the Association from 1806 to 1809 during which time only fifty-two baptisms were reported. In 1813, Silas M. Noel began the publication of the GOSPEL HERALD at Frankfort, in which he advocated the organization of a general Baptist State body, but after a year's deliberation in the Elkhorn Association, the proposition was rejected. In 1814, the subject of Foreign Missions was brought before the Association, but no action was taken at that time. In 1840, a resolution was adopted, "recommending to all our churches, as far as they possibly can, to sustain Sabbath schools in their respective congregations."
In 1861, the churches of the Association had an aggregate membership of 7760, of whom 2671 were white, and 5089 were colored; while in 1871 only 2505 members were reported. From 1788 to 1880 "according to official report," there were baptized 25,138 converts to the churches of the Association. In 1880, twenty-eight churches composed the body with 3063 members. In 1925, there were 34 churches and 12,172 members. In 1947 the old historic body was composed of forty-four cooperating churches with 20,517.
Many distinguished brethren have presided as Moderator over this, the oldest Association, during the one hundred and sixty-three years of its history. Among the pioneer fathers who have served as moderators were, Lewis Craig, John Taylor, William Cave, John Gano, James Garrard, Ambrose Dudley, and others coming later just as worthy. Dr. E. L. Skiles, pastor of the First Baptist Church at Georgetown, is the present Moderator (1948).
THE SALEM ASSOCIATION
The small churches located in the more westerly part of the Kentucky Territory began to see the need of an Association, and made preparation for such a body. On Saturday, October 29, 1785, four Regular Baptist Churches sent their messengers to meet with the Cox's Creek Church, Nelson County, for the purpose of forming a Baptist Association. An opening sermon, appropriate to the occasion, was preached by Joseph Barnett from John 2:17. He was then chosen Moderator, and Andrew Paul, Clerk.
The letters from the four churches were read and the following facts recorded:Severn's Valley, Hardin County, constituted June 18, 1781, 37 members, no pastor.
Cedar Creek, Nelson County, constituted July 4, 1781, 41 members, Joseph Barnett, pastor.
59Bear Grass, Jefferson County, constituted January, 1784, 19 members, John Whitaker, pastor."The right of churches to associate, the nature, character and authority of an Association was opened by Brother Barnett. The constitution, principles and character of the several churches, proposing to associate, minutely inquired into, both in regard of doctrine and discipline, and left under the consideration, till Monday morning." (October 31).
Cox's Creek, Nelson County, constituted April, 1785, 26 members, William Taylor, pastor; a total of one hundred twenty-three members.
After meeting on Monday morning, the report of the several delegates being read, and attended to, it was "Resolved, That the churches have adopted the Philadelphia Confession of Faith, and Treatise of Discipline, hereto annexed, and hold ourselves in full fellowship with the Philadelphia and Ketockton (Va.) Associations, and proper measures endeavored to obtain assistance from, and correspondence with the same."
This new fraternity thus formed assumed the name of Salem Association of Regular Baptists, which comprised all of the Regular Baptist Churches west of Frankfort, and was the second such organization west of the Alleghany Mountains. It may be observed that no reference was made in this first session about entering into correspondence with the Elkhorn Association, formed twenty-nine days before. It is probable that the Salem messengers, had not learned of the constitution of the Elkhorn body, since the churches of the two Associations were separated by a broad wilderness, filled with blood thirsty savages.
After the organization of the Association, several items of business were considered. It was "Resolved, That no queries be received in this Association. but such as have been debated in the churches, and come inserted at the bottom of their letter." They also "Resolved, That two days of fasting and prayer be held yearly, one on the fourth Saturday in March, the other on the fourth Saturday in November, to be a day of fasting and thanksgiving."
The second session was held on September 30, 1786, with the Cedar Creek Church, Nelson County. No reference was made to the Elkhorn Association. It was "Resolved that the yearly meeting be held at Nolin, an arm of Severn's Valley, and that all the preachers of the Association attend."
On October 6, 1787, the third session was held with Cox's Creek Church, Nelson County. Rules for governing the Association were adopted, not differing essentially from those in general use in such bodies, except two articles. The tenth article is in brief as follows: "In order to keep up union and communion among the churches that compose our body, we are to observe the same rules of discipline, as the members of an individual church do in case of personal grievances. . . . For the churches that compose our body stand, as touching fellowship, related to each other, in the same point of light as the members of an individual church to each other." The purpose
of this rule was to maintain fellowship and exercise discipline among the churches, which composed the Association. The other rule adopted was number 21 in this constitution as follows: "Corresponding messengers from other Associations have a right to deliver their sentiment on any subject, and to vote as members of our body." This was a strange custom of some of the early associations to permit the corresponding messengers from other bodies to vote. A letter of correspondence was received from the Elkhorn Association, by the hands of John Tanner, Augustine Eastin, and Marias Hansbrough. The letter was received and the corresponding messengers were seated with all the privileges of the body.
The fourth session met with the Cox's Creek Church, October 4, 1788. The Brashears Creek Church, later called Clear Creek, located near the site of Shelbyville, and Rolling Fork, in Nelson County, were received. The Association now numbered six churches and one hundred eighty-eight members.
On October 3, 1789, the Association, again met with the Cox's Creek Church. The opening sermon was preached by the venerable John Gano of the Elkhorn Association from Acts 15:6. A query was presented by the Rolling Fork Church - "Is it lawful for a member of Christ's Church to keep his fellow creature in perpetual slavery?" The answer was: "The Association judges it improper to enter into so important and critical a matter, at present." There was a continued agitation of this subject. Later on two preachers, Joshua Carman and Josiah Dodge, broke away from the Salem Association and set up an Emancipation or anti-slavery church. Another question arose in this session - "As to whether the laying on of hands upon newly baptized persons was necessary to fellowship." The answer was in the negative.
At the session of October, 1790 with the Cox's Creek Church, the introductory sermon was preached by Augustine Eastin of Elkhorn Association. Two new churches were received, both in Nelson County - Hardin's Creek, Baldwin Clifton, pastor, and White Oak Run. The Association was now composed of eight churches and four hundred and four members, which reported one hundred and twelve baptisms. It was decided by the Association that the proper time to give the right hand of fellowship was after baptism. Another query was before the body, as to whether giving the hand of fellowship before baptism would be a breach of fellowship in the church. The question was referred to the next session, and then withdrawn.
The Association met on September 30, 1791, with the Cox's Creek Church for the fifth time in succession. The Bloomfield Church, located in Nelson County, which was constituted March, 1791, was received with thirty members and William Taylor, pastor. The churches reported to this session four hundred and thirty-two members. The Elkhorn Association presented a request to Salem for aid in revising the Articles of Faith, but the reply was that the messengers desired more time to consider the request and to obtain the will of the churches in the matter.
Severn's Valley Church sent a request that the Association appoint competent ministers to examine Josiah Dodge as to his ministerial qualifications. For this purpose the Association appointed James Garrard,
William Wood, Mason County, William Taylor, pastor Cox's Creek Church, and Baldwin Clifton. These brethren, after examining the candidate, reported that they were entirely satisfied with his qualifications. The Association then "Resolved that Brother Josiah Dodge be ordained." The minutes state that their action was at the request of the Severn's Valley Church, of which Elder Dodge was a member. He was immediately called to the pastorate of that church and served several years. This was the first ordination of a preacher in the bounds of Salem Association.
The session of 1792 met with the Cedar Creek Church in Nelson County. The Chenowith Run Church, located about twelve miles Southeast of Louisville, was received. This was the second church constituted within the present limits of Jefferson County, and in 1846 the name was changed to Cedar Creek. John Taylor and John Price were received as corresponding messengers from Elkhorn Association. The 26th Article of Faith, was interpreted as not prohibiting Christians from marrying unconverted persons, but only persons of profane, debauched lives, or of heretical faith.
The session of 1772  was disturbed by the slavery question. Mt. Moriah Church in Nelson County, and Mill Creek in Jefferson County were received into the fellowship of the Association. Mt. Moriah is now a member of the Nelson Association (1945).
Two new churches were received in the session of 1794. In the session of 1795, a number of queries were sent in bearing on slavery. One question was, "Is it right for professing heads of families to raise up their servants without teaching them to read the Word of God, and not giving them sufficient food, raiment and lodging?" The Association answered that it is not proper to interpose in domestic concern. Another query, "Has the black slave a right to a seat in the Association?" Yes, provided he be sent as a messenger from his church. The Lick Creek Church in Nelson County, having divided on slavery, sent two sets of messengers, each party claiming to be the church. Both parties were rejected until they adjusted their differences, which was done before the meeting of the next Association.
In the session of 1796, there was further disturbance over slavery. Some of the churches accused the Association of tolerating this great evil. For this reason two churches had already withdrawn from the Association - Rolling Fork in Nelson County, and Mill Creek in Jefferson.
The Association met at Cox's Creek in 1797. Three new churches were received: Beech Creek, Shelby County, Harrod's Creek, Oldham County, and Long Run, Jefferson County. Long Run Church constituted in 1797, has had a long interesting history and still remains a member of the Long Run Association (1948). The Association advised the churches not to permit Elder Reuben Smith to preach nor to administer the ordinances, unless he unite with some Baptist church. The church of which he was a member had dissolved and he had failed to unite with any church. Later Elder Smith put his membership in Elk Creek, the oldest church in Spencer County, and became its pastor. The 1798 session of Salem Association was held with this church.
In 1799, the Association met with the Brashears Creek Church in Shelby County. Three new churches were received: Buck Creek and Bethel,
in Shelby County, and Charlestown in Clark County, Indiana. The churches were admonished to be extremely cautious in restoring excommunicated ministers to their former standing.
The session of 1800 was held with the Simpson's Creek Church, in Nelson County, later known as Bloomfield. The Christiansburg Church in Shelby County, formerly called Six Mile; and Eighteen Mile in what is now Oldham County, near LaGrange, were received. The church at Port William located at the mouth of the Kentucky River where Carrollton now stands, applied for admission, but was rejected. This church resulted from a great union meeting held by the Methodists and Baptists, and the Confession of Faith presented to the Association was not satisfactory. Later the church adopted the Philadelphia Confession and was received into the Elkhorn Association in 1801. The church was moved to Ghent, and since has been known by that name. At this same session the Association advised the churches to dismiss, in the same way they were received, those members who hold to the doctrine of Hell Redemption, which means universal salvation. Many of the churches were hindered by this system of false teaching. The Association also advised the churches to bring no man into the ministry, except those, who give evidence of true piety, and promising gifts; that every proper means be used for the improvement of such gifts; and that the church in every case, call for assistants in ordination, two or three ministers, known for piety and abilities. There were now seventeen cooperative churches in the Association.
In 1801, the Association met in the meeting house of the Long Run Church in Jefferson County. Seventeen churches were represented, and seven new churches were received and added to this number, as follows: Corn Creek Church, located in what was later Trimble County; Little Mount, in what was later Spencer County; Sulphur Fork and Rock Lick in Henry County; Burk's Branch, in Shelby County, Kings Church in Bullitt County and Mt. Pleasant in Henry County.
Previous to this date, the minutes and circular letters were written and only one copy provided for each church, but at this meeting, it was agreed to have the minutes printed. The Association advised the churches to be extremely cautious about receiving members, who have divorced their wives, or husbands and married again, while their former companions were still living. Such should not be received without the assistance of one or more churches. Corn Creek Church sent in a query: "Is a Christian to take all manner of abuse from a ruffian, without making resistance?" Answer: "Yes, so far as the abuse amounts to language only." The Association defined the duty of a deacon thus: "To take care of the temporal concern of the church." Another question presented was: "Is it consistent with good order for a minister to hear experiences and baptize within the bounds of a church, without the church's consent?" The question was postponed and later answered, "No, he should not." It was agreed to enter correspondence with the Green River Association, recently organized.
The session of 1802 was held with the Cox's Creek Church. Rolling Fork, which left the Association in 1796 on the slavery question, was received back into the body. The Lick Branch Church, later known as LaGrange
in Oldham County, was received with four others. A query was presented by the Hardin's Creek Church: "Is it advisable to receive the evidence of a credible person in the world, against a member who might publicly transgress, and yet deny it?"
As a result of the great revival of 1801-1802 the Salem Association increased to thirty-four churches with a membership of over two thousand four hundred, and its territory embraced nearly all the region between the Ohio and Green Rivers, west of the mouth of the Kentucky River.5
In 1803 all churches north of the Salt River were dismissed to form a new Association called Long Run, which left the mother fraternity only eleven churches with 792 members. By 1817 the Association had increased to thirty-one churches, which were scattered over at least fifteen counties, making it inconvenient to attend the meetings. Accordingly, eleven churches granted the liberty to join a new Association. The messengers of the churches met at Goshen meeting house in Breckenridge County, in the following fall, and constituted the Goshen Association. This division left the Salem body in 1818 with twenty churches aggregating 1654 members. Between 1818 and 1840 nineteen new churches entered into its fellowship.
In 1833 a resolution was adopted advising the churches "not to open their meeting houses for preaching, by any person holding the doctrines of Alexander Campbell." This bold stand saved the Association from the heavy losses suffered by other associations as shown by statistics. In 1849, nine churches on the Northern border were dismissed to form the Nelson eiation. This reduced the old Salem fraternity to twenty-two churches 1784 members. A further reduction was made in churches and territory in 1859, when the Severn's Valley Association was constituted. In 1947, the old Salem body was composed of nineteen churches numbering 2927 members, located principally in Meade County. West Point is the largest church, numbering 344 members, with Rev. J. C. Nuckols, Sr., pastor, ceeded by Rev. George S. Munro in 1948.6
SOUTH KENTUCKY ASSOCIATION OF SEPARATE BAPTISTS
The Elkhorn and Salem Associations, as we have seen, were composed of Regular Baptist Churches. This third Association now to be considered, was composed of Separate Baptist Churches. There was formerly some controversy as to the date, when this South Kentucky body was organized, but the following record appears: "On the first Friday in October 1787, at Tate's Creek Meeting House, in Madison County, eleven churches, who were called Separate Baptists, were constituted an Association, on the Bible and was called South Kentucky Association" of Separate Baptists.7
There is no record of the names of these eleven churches, which went into the formation of this Association, but it is known by the best authorities that the following Separate Baptist Churches with their pastors were in Kentucky at that time: Boone's Creek, in Fayette County, Joseph Craig, pastor; Head of Boone's Creek, in Fayette County, Joseph Craig, pastor; Providence in Clark County (Howard's Creek), Robert Elkin, pastor; Forks
of Dix River, in Garrard County, James Smith, pastor; Rush Branch in Lincoln County, John Bailey, pastor; Tate's Creek in Madison County, Andrew Tribble, pastor; Lick Creek (Buffalo), in Nelson County, James Rogers, pastor; Pottenger Creek in Nelson County, Benjamin Lynn, pastor; Nolin (South Fork), in LaRue County, James Skaggs, pastor; Huston's Creek, in Bourbon County, Moses Bledsoe, pastor; and Gilbert's Creek in Garrard County, Joseph Bledsoe, pastor.
The number of members in these churches cannot be known. This Separate Baptist Association at its organization had one more church than were in Elkhorn at that date, and five more than were embraced in the Salem Association.
The following declarations were made in this first session:
1. They "declared that they thought all ministerial difficulties should be settled by a company of ministers, and that, if any minister was supposed to preach any unsound doctrine, two ministers might suspend or stop him from preaching, until he could be tried by a sufficient number of ministers, and it was provided also, that the churches should have power to cite anyone, suspected of preaching unsound doctrine, before the ministers for trial."
2. They also defined what power there is in a gospel church: "To receive into her communion, and expel from it, such members, as she may choose, according to gospel discipline; also to choose their own pastor, or refuse him, when it shall appear, that he is no longer their pastor; also to excommunicate him for immoral conduct, as any other member."
There is no record of the meeting in May, 1788, as referred to in the minutes of 1791. The place of the fall meeting of 1788 is not known. The session was largely taken up in queries. The first was, "Whether the washing of saints' feet is a duty, enjoined on Christians?" The answer by the Association, "It is." The second question: "Is there any officer in the church, besides Bishop and Deacon?" The answer by the Association, "Agreed there is." The third, "Whether members should sit in the church to do business together, when irreconciled?" The answer: "Agreed, they ought not." The Association decided to write a circular letter and have it printed.
There is no official record of the session of 1790, but Asplund's Register records the names of the following churches in addition to those already named, as members of the Association at this date: Unity Church, Clark County; Hickmans Creek and Jessamine Creek, Fayette County; Head of Beech Fork, Head of Salt River, and Shawnee Run, Mercer County; Second Hardins Creek, and West Fork of Cox's Creek, Nelson County; and Second Forks of Elkhorn, later called Mt. Pleasant, Franklin County. The Association at this session embraced nineteen churches, totaling one thousand three hundred and eleven members.
In 1791, the Association met with Rush Branch Church in Lincoln County. At this meeting, a disturbance began, caused by the doctrine of Restoration from Hell, or "Hell Redemption". John Bailey had been propagating the doctrine, and soon after William Bledsoe embraced it. A query
was presented: "Whether the association will hold a member in society, that propagates the doctrine of Restoration from Hell?" The Association agreed "that they could not." Two were neutral and John Bailey was in the affirmative. "Proof was given to the Association that John Bailey held and propagated Redemption from Hell." A presbytery consisting of James Smith, Joseph Bledsoe, Andrew Tribble, Robert Elkin and Thomas Ammon, was appointed to examine John Bailey and demand of him his credentials, if they thought fit. James Smith, one of the committee was accused of saying, that he believed that all men, for whom Christ died, would be saved. But after examining him, the Association agreed that he did not teach Redemption from Hell. At this point, the body saw fit to "agree to abide by the plan upon which the churches of our union was constituted, in October 1787, and May 1788." The question was raised, as to whether the ministers have the keys of the church and rule the same. The answer was in the negative.
The committee then reported "that John Bailey is no more of us as a minister of the gospel, or a member." It was then declared that the Associa-tion could not fellowship any person, who propagated the doctrine of eternal justification. Several petitions were presented, in answer to which Presbyteries were appointed to ordain preachers and constitute churches.
The session of 1792 was held with the Jessamine Church in Jessamine County. Correspondence was opened up with Middle District Association in Virginia. Two years later the churches were advised to style themselves United Baptists, in order to make the correspondence more agreeable to the Virginia Baptists, who had assumed the name of United Baptists, in 1787.
In 1793 there were two meetings of the Association. The first was held with the Tate's Creek Church, Madison County in June. Messengers came from Elkhorn Association, desiring union between the two bodies. It was arranged to call a convention, representing the churches of both Associations, to be held with the Marble Creek Church, later called East Hickman, in Fayette County, on the last Saturday in July. At this Convention, the Regular Baptists were tenacious for the Philadelphia Confession of Faith, and the union was not effected, as has been stated in another connection.
The final terms of union proposed by the Regular Baptists of the Elkhorn Association were deferred, for consideration till the meeting of the South Kentucky Association the following October. The items were rejected by that body by a large majority. When this decision was made, five ministers and four churches broke off from the South Kentucky Association. The dissenting churches appeared to have been Head of Boone's Creek, Jessamine, Forks of Dix River and Hickmans Creek. The seceding preachers were Thomas Ammon, Andrew Tribble, Robert Clark, James Smith and Thomas Shelton. These churches and ministers formed an Association, afterwards called Tate's Creek, to which the Unity Church, in Clark County was added the following year.
The loss of these preachers, together with the exclusion of John Bailey, and William Bledsoe for heresy, left the Association with a very weak ministry. But after this loss, the body affirmed its original principles as Separate Baptists in a series of questions and answers:
1. "What was the Separate Baptists first constituted into a society upon, in Kentucky?" Answer. "The Bible."
2. "How did we become united with the Baptists in Virginia, called United Baptists?" Answer. "On a letter the Committee of Baptists, in Richmond, directed to be written to us in Kentucky, bearing the date, October 2, 1788, from under the signature of Reuben Ford and William Webber."
3. "Did those terms oblige us to receive any part of the Philadelphia Confession of Faith?" Answer. "No".
4. "Do we agree to abide by the constitution and terms of union with the United Baptists of Virginia," Answer. "We do."
In 1794 the Association met with Gilbert's Creek Church in Garrard County. No business of importance was transacted. The Pottenger Creek Church petitioned for the ordination of Joseph Milburn. Some Baptists about the mouth of 'Silver Creek desired to be constituted a church to move to the Illinois Country.
The session of 1795 was held at Shawnee Run in Mercer County. Two new churches were received, Cartwright's Creek in Marion County, and Spencer Creek in Montgomery County. Some brethren were appointed to install Elijah Summars, pastor of Blue Ash Church, since called Bethel, in Montgomery County. Messengers were appointed to the General Committee in Virginia, and the churches were requested to style themselves United Baptists.
At the session of 1796 with the Jessamine Church, an application from Tate's Creek Association for union and correspondence was rejected. Deep Creek Church applied for membership, but was rejected because it had received an excluded preacher into its fellowship.
At the meeting of 1797 with Howard's Creek Church, a presbytery was appointed to ordain Isaac Crutcher and Matthew Rogers.
In 1798, the Association met at Harlan meeting house in Mercer County. A new church on Red River, in Clark County, was received. It agreed to change its name from United Baptists, to the original name of Separate Baptists, but it desired to retain its relation with the United Baptists of Virginia.
The meeting of 1799 was held with the Gilbert's Creek Church, in Garrard County. Hoffman's Fork Chruch petitioned the Association for a letter to join the Tate's Creek Association, but the request was denied.
It will be remembered that in the session of 1791, the Association excluded from its fellowship a number of persons, including two leading preachers for holding and teaching "Hell Redemption" or Universalism. The Association now advises tlhe churches to open their doors and receive these persons without inquiring into their private opinions as to doctrine, provided they live orderly lives. Acting upon this advice, the Church at Rush Branch restored John Bailey to his former standing as a preacher and member, and called him as pastor. The Association then restored this "Apostate" church to membership, though it was known to be a Universalist
Baptist Church. The other excluded members were restored without renouncing "their private sentiments." This action caused great confusion and division.
The session of 1800 was held with the Shawnee Run Church, Mercer County. Most of the records of this session were lost. The last session of this Association of Separate Baptists was held with the Tate's Creek Baptist Church, Madison County, in 1801. Thirty-one churches numbering 2382 members were represented at this last meeting.8
THE TATE'S CREEK ASSOCIATION
The Tate's Creek Association was the fourth constituted in Kentucky and the first under the style of "United Baptists." Five churches, which broke away from the South Kentucky Association June 17, 1793, met by their messengers at the Jessamine meeting house, Jessamine County, November 23, 1793, to form an Association under the name of Tate's Creek Association of United Baptists. These five churches, which left the South Kentucky Association to form this new fraternity, were Head of Boone's Creek, Forks of Dix River, Jessamine, Tate's Creek and Hickman's Creek. The five preachers who seceded with these churches were James Smith, Thomas Ammon, Andrew Tribble, Robert Clark and Thomas Shelton.
After the Association was constituted, a Committee, consisting of John Price, Andrew Tribble, Thomas Ammon, Robert Clark, and George Smith, was appointed to draw up rules of decorum and prepare a letter of correspondence to the General Committee in Virginia. Thomas Shelton was appointed to bear the letter, but was killed by the Indians before he reached Virginia. Helps were sent to aid Unity Church in Clark County, to assist in adjusting that church's difficulties.
The second session was held in 1794 with the Forks of the Dix River Church. The Unity Church was received. Inquiry was made as to whether the union with Elkhorn Association had been dissolved. Another letter was written to the General Committee in Virginia, but no one was appointed to bear it, this year. The body agreed that one preacher and two elders might have the authority to constitute a church.
The first session of 1795 was held in May with the Head of Boone's Creek Church. At the request of Otter Creek Church, Madison County, Andrew Tribble and David Thompson were appointed to ordain Peter Woods and Cornelius Bowman, if found qualified. Appointments were made for preaching and communion at several different churches.
The second session of 1795 was held in October with the Hickman's Creek Church, in Fayette County. It was agreed to send a letter of correspondence to the Holston Association in East Tennessee. A committee was sent to confer with the Elkhorn Association about union. The Elkhorn brethren received the committee in a most friendly spirit, and it was recommended that the ministers of the two Associations preach together and that the brethren mingle with each other to ascertain how nearly they were agreed in doctrine. In 1797 a correspondence was established between the two Associations, which continued.
The Association met twice in 1796. The first session was held in May with the Tate's Creek Church, in Madison County. Carter Tarrant, corres-ponding messenger to Holston Association, East Tennessee, appointed at last session, was paid $30.00 for the expenses of the visit. Peter Woods and Isaac Newland were appointed to visit the destitute brethren on Green River with the Gospel. The second session of 1796 met in October with the Forks of Dix River Church in Garrard County. The statistics of the mem-bership of the churches were given as follows: Hickman's, 32 members; Tate's Creek, 176; Forks of Dix River, 61; Howard's Creek, 61; Dreaming Creek, 90; Head of Boone's Creek, 45; a total of four hundred sixty-five members.
In 1797, the Association met with the Head of Boone's Creek Church. Muddy Creek Church, consisting of twenty members, was represented the first time. A committee was appointed to look into the standing of the Hickman's Creek Church. In 1798, the Good Hope Church in Taylor County was received. In the session of 1799, the following churches were repre-sented for the first time: Viney Fork, and Clear Creek in Madison County; Sinking Creek and Flat Lick in Pulaski County; Stony Point in Mercer County and Crab Orchard in Lincoln County.
The session of 1800 was held at Forks of Dix River. The churches of Boffman's Fork, in Fayette County, and Hurricane, in Lincoln County were received. Minutes were ordered printed. Peter Bainbridge, an excluded preacher, had been received into Forks of Dix River Church, during the year, which was regarded as disorderly. It was "agreed that this Associa-tion shall be known hereafter by the name of Tate's Creek Association." Hence no longer to be designated as an Association of United Baptists.
Three new churches were received in the session of 1801: White Oak, Flat Woods and Otter Creek. The hope was expressed, that, through the negotiations of Elkhorn Association, a General Union would be consummated. A query was presented: "Is an immersion performed by a Pedo-baptist scriptural," The answer: "No, it is not."
In 1800 the Association had twelve churches and five hundred seventy-nine members. In 1801 there were nineteen churches and one thousand eight hundred and twenty-three members, but in 1802 there were reported twenty-two churches, one hundred ninety-two baptisms and one thousand nine hundred and ninety members. This was the largest number of members ever before reported.
By l809 the territory of the Association had become so large, that it was thought expedient to form a new Association of the churches located in the more southern part of its territory. Accordingly, six churches" were dismissed, which entered into the constitution of the Cumberland River Association in October, 1809. The Tate's Creek fraternity was greatly prospering, but received a severe set back through the teachings of Alexander Campbell. So great were the losses that at the session of 1830 only nine churches with 502 members were represented. At this session the body voted unanimously to "drop correspondence with any and every association or church, where the heresy of Campbellism is tolerated." In 1840 the Association had increased to nineteen churches with 1124 members, but
in 1865 about 500 colored members went out to form separate congregations. In 1880 there were twenty co-operating churches with 1952 members.9
The session of 1947 was composed of twenty-eight churches with a membership of 6800. The First Church at Berea was the largest with 1228 members. O. B. Mylum was pastor and also Moderator of the As-sociation; while the church at Richmond, county seat of Madison County, was the second in membership with E. N. Perry, pastor.
Bracken Association was the fifth constituted in Kentucky. Messengers from eight churches with five hundred and thirty-nine members met at the Bracken Meeting House near the present site of Minerva, in Mason County, on Saturday, May 28, 1799, and formed the Bracken Association. A sermon was preached by the venerable David Thomas. James Turner, was chosen moderator, and Donald Holmes, clerk. Five of the eight churches which went into the organization had been dismissed from the Elkhorn Association for this purpose. These were Washington, Mays Lick, Bracken, later called Minerva, Stone Lick, and Locust Creek. The illustrious Lewis Craig, who moved to Madison County, from South Elkhorn Church in 1792, was regarded as the father of this Association. Other ministers were David Thomas and Philip Drake. William Wood, the pioneer preacher in Mason County, had been excluded by the Washington Church, the year before the Association was constituted.
At the meeting of the Association in the fall of 1799, following its organization in May, there were nine churches with six hundred members reported. Only one hundred thirty-nine baptisms were reported as the result of the "Great Revival" of 1801-2, but in 1805, there were nineteen churches with one thousand eight hundred and sixty-five members. From this time there was continued agitation over slavery, which resulted in the loss of several churches to the Emancipation Movement.
In 1812, fifteen churches reported to the Association about six hundred members. So discouraging was the situation, the question was raised as to the propriety of dissolving the Association. About that time Elder Walter Warder came to the pastor at Mays Lick, and of other churches in the bounds of the Association. By the year 1821, the number of the churches had increased to seventeen with 1522 members, but Alexander Campbell appeared on the scene, and caused great disturbance in the churches. In 1831, after the separation from Mr. Campbell's disciples sixteen churches remained with only 890 members. In 1838, 292 baptisms were reported and in 1847, there were sixteen churches with 1723 members. In 1862 the churches numbered twenty-six with 2575 members, but about one thousand of these were colored, who were dismissed at the close of the Civil War. The Association was composed of twenty-five churches in 1880 with 2523 members.10
In 1947 there were twenty-four churches, having a membership of 3161. The Carlisle Church was the largest with 347 members. Rev. Ira McMillen was the pastor, and also Moderator of the Bracken Association.
THE GREEN RIVER ASSOCIATION
The sixth Association formed in the territory of Kentucky was the Green River. In June, 1799 about eight churches in the Green River country met by their messengers in a conference at Sinking Creek Meeting House in Barren County, to consider the propriety of forming an Association. This conference declared it was expedient for these churches to become associated together, and accordingly their messengers met on the third Saturday in June, 1800 with the Mt. Tabor Church, in Barren County, where the Green River Association of Regular Baptist Churches was constituted. Nine churches went into this union with about three hundred fifty members. Some of the preachers who went into this organization were: Alexander Davidson, Carter Tarrant, Robert .Stockton, Robert Smith, John Mulkey, Alexander McDougal, and Baldwin Clifton.
A list of the churches which went into the organization is not on record, but it is known that the following churches were in the territory of the fraternity: Mud Camp, Mt. Taber, and Sinking Creek in Barren County; Brush Creek and Pitmans Creek in Green County; Dripping Springs in Metcalfe County; Mill Creek in what became Monroe County. The Severn's Valley Church, which left Salem Association on account of the Slavery issue was a member of Green River until 1803, when it returned to the Salem Association.
Green River Association was constituted at the beginning of the Great Revival and its growth was rapid. The third annual session was held July 31, 1802, at Mill Creek, Monroe County. Thirty churches were represented by messengers and reported one thousand seven hundred and sixty-three members which showed the numerical strength had multiplied more than five fold in two years. Robert Stockton, who came to Kentucky from Virginia in 1799, was chosen Moderator and John Chandler, Clerk. The famous pioneer preacher, Benjamin Lynn, who appeared in Kentucky in 1780, was present at this meeting and given a seat in the body. Elder Jonathan Mulkey, corresponding messenger from Holston Association, East Tennessee, Lewis Moore from Mero Association, (Tennessee) and Owen Owens, Salem Association were seated. Letters were also received from Elkhorn, Bracken and Neuse (North Carolina) Associations. The motion passed that it was "agreed to open correspondence with all the Baptist Associations in Kentucky." This shows that all the Associations were united, which included Elkhorn, Salem, Tate's Creek, Bracken, North District, South District, and Mero District, the last named having churches in both Kentucky and Tennessee.
A query was sent in from Beaver Creek - "Is it agreeable to scripture, for a man, having had a wife, who left him and married another man, and he, in her lifetime, married another woman, to be received into church membershhip under that circumstance?" Answer. "No." Query from Severn's Valley: "What duty to do with a church or member, that holds Redemption from Hell?" Answer. "We think a church holding that doctrine, ought to be excluded from the Association; and a member, who holds it, ought to be excluded from the church of which he is a member."
By 1804 the territory of the Green River Association had become so widely extended, containing thirty-eight churches with one thousand eight hundred and seventy-six members, that it was expedient to divide
it into three parts. Accordingly, eleven churches having 457 members, located in Green and adjoining counties were dismissed to constitute Russell's Creek Association; and about as many were dismissed to form the Stocktons Valley Association, located in Cumberland and nearby counties. In the year 1812, the Green River body numbered thirty-three churches with 2499 members, whose territory had again become widely extended. At this time sixteen churches were lettered out to constitute the Gasper River Association.
The old Green River fraternity continued to prosper, experiencing many revival seasons, until 1890, when it numbered thirty-eight churches with 2951 members. In that year fifteen churches were dismissed to form the Barren River Association. This loss left the mother body with eighteen churches, with 1173 members. By the year 1840, the Green River Association had become thoroughly Anti-missionary, and excluded the missionary churches from its fellowship.11
1. Taylor, John, A History of Ten Baptist Churches, Second Edition, p. 55.
2. Spencer, John H., A History of Kentucky Baptists, Vol. 2, p. 7-44.
3. Ibid., op. cit., Vol. 2, p. 82.
4. Ibid., Vol. 2, p. 15; Minutes of Elkhorn Association, 1796.
5. Spencer, John H., op. cit., Vol. 1, p. 110, 111; Vol. 2, p. 44-51.
6. Ibid., Vol. 2, p. 44-60.
7. Ibid., Vol. 2, p. 118.
8. Ibid., Vol. 2, p. 80-88.
9. Ibid., Vol. 2, p. 88-96.
10. Ibid., Vol. 2, p. 96-105.
11. Ibid., Vol. 2, 105-118.
[From Frank M. Masters, A History of Baptists in Kentucky, 1953, pp. 51-71. Scanned and formatted by Jim Duvall.]
More Kentucky Baptist Histories
Baptist History Homepage