A History of Baptists in Kentucky
By Frank M. Masters, 1953
A DECADE OF WORLD MOVEMENTS
1939 – 1947
In no period of human history have so many momentous world events been set in motion, not to save, but to destroy the human race, as in the de- cade now to be considered. The long “pent up ills and sins" of the world broke loose, and involved the nations of the earth in the most terrible World War in human experience. The powers of wicked militarized nations could not be restrained by force of arms before the world was filled with human sufferings, and the nations were “shaken to pieces.” Vice and crime of every form followed the close of this world conflict, and took root in our native land, as well as in other major nations. The many outstanding political, military, and economical events of this period will be referred to only as they relate to the history of the Baptists in Kentucky.
The General Association, composed of three hundred and four messengers from 236 churches, met in Harrodsburg Baptist church of the historic town of Harrodsburg at 2 P. M. November 14. C. W. Elsey, Shelbyville, was elected Moderator, and R. T. Skinner, Bowling Green, and G. W. Ellers, pastor of the entertaining church, Assistant Moderators. Hollis S. Summers, the elected Recording Secretary, preached the annual sermon. Dr. L. R. Scarborough, President of the Southwestern Theological Seminary, Ft. Worth, Texas, and also President of the Southern Baptist Convention, was a distinguished visitor, and later in the session "stirred the congregation in an address on evangelism.”
Charles William Elsey, the newly elected moderator, has spent his entire ministry in Kentucky. He was born in Laurel County, but was brought up in Fayette County, where he graduated from High School in his seventeenth year. He was ordained to the ministry in Boone's Creek Baptist Church, Athens, Kentucky, June 29, 1902, at the age of twenty-two years, and was immediately called to the pastorate of the Fifth Street Baptist Church, Lexington. He received the A. B. degree from Georgetown College in 1905, and the Th.G degree, from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, in 1907. He also received the honorary degree of D.D. from Georgetown College in 1913. The young preacher was called to become pastor of the church at Cynthiana in 1908, and served thirteen years. In 1921, he was elected President of Cumberland College at Williamsburg, Kentucky, and continued in that position until 1925, when he became pastor of the First Baptist Church, at Shelbyville, and was in his thirteenth year, when elected moderator.
J. W. Black, General Secretary of the Executive Board, was commended "for his work, and fine spirit of cooperation, since assuming the present office."
The year 1939 was marked by advance along all lines. The receipts for all missions and benevolent causes amounted to $388,588.11, a gain of $26,862.95 over any previous year; and 20,091 baptisms the largest number ever reported. The Hundred Thousand Club was emphasized as an import ant factor in paying the denominational debts. The new Ministers Retirement Plan, inaugurated by the Relief and Annuity Board, Dallas, Texas, was adopted by the Executive Board to become effective in Kentucky, January 1, 1940.
A message of appreciation and regret was sent to Rev. W. E. Hunter, pastor at Somerset for twenty-seven years, who was absent on account of illness. A message of love and appreciation was also sent to Dr. C. M. Thompson, the retired General Secretary, whose infirmities confined him to his Louisville home.
The trend of events in 1939 was toward war, which threatened to in volve all the nations. In view of the facts it was evident that Germany and Japan, led on by their war lords , had determined on world domination. In September, Adolf Hitler had led the German army in an attack on Poland, which was the occasion of France and Great Britain entering the conflict against the invading forces.2
Elizabethtown was the place of meeting of the General Association, which convened in the auditorium of the Severn's Valley Church on November 12, with Moderator C. W. Elsey in the chair, J. R. Jester, Pastor of the First Baptist church, Winchester, and W. Fred Kendall, pastor of the entertaining church, were chosen Assistant Moderators. R. E. Humphreys, pastor First Baptist Church, Owensboro, preached the annual sermon from Isaiah 2:11, 12 - theme "Watchman, What of the Night?"
At the beginning of the session great concern was expressed over the action of the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky in passing a law, which was signed by the Governor on March 11, 1940, "providing free transportation of school children to religious and private schools at the expense of the taxpayers of Kentucky.” Memorials from eleven district associations were read before the body, condemning the law, as being in violation of the constitutional principles of the separation of church and state.
Dr. John R. Sampey, President of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, was quoted as reporting 465 students enrolled, 12 members on the faculty, one full time instructor and fourteen teaching fellows. Miss Carrie U. Littlejohn, Principal of the W. M. U. Training School was quoted as reporting 169 young women enrolled, and that the new home for the Training School, near the Seminary, costing about $300,000, was expected to be ready for occupancy in the summer of 1941. Professor Kenneth R. Patterson was elected President of Bethel Woman's College, Hopkinsville, and assumed his duties in September, succeeding Dr. J. W. Gaines.3
During 1940 the war situation became alarming. In May the Germans
began their invasion of France. There was great distress in the session of the Southern Baptist Convention in Baltimore, when on June 10, Italy declared war on France and Britain. It was evident to the messengers that America was being drawn closer to the raging conflict. The Convention was also disturbed over the action of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, who had appointed the Hon. Myron Taylor as representative to the vatican at Rome, with the rank of ambassador, without the consent or advice of the Senate. Strong resolutions were adopted condemning the action of the President as definitely jeopardizing" the cherished principle of complete separation of church and State, for which principle our fathers suffered that the citizens of this nation, irrespective of creed or class, might alike enjoy religious liberty."4
The General Association, composed of 328 messengers met with the First Baptist Church, Somerset on November 11. T. D. Brown, pastor of the Highland Baptist Church, Louisville was elected Moderator, and Fred T. Moffatt, Frankfort, and D. L. Hill, host pastor, Assistant Moderators. The annual sermon was preached by Garis T. Long, Ashland. A letter was read from Recording Secretary, Hollis S. Summers, stating that on account of illness, he was not able to attend the meeting. He never recovered from his illness, and died after years of suffering. E. D. Davis, who had served as Assistant Secretary since 1927, was elected to the position, and George Raleigh Jewell, Secretary of the Western Recorder, was elected Assistant. E. D. Davis, the new Recording Secretary, had been pastor of the Stamping Ground Church since 1938. He received the degree of B. A. from Georgetown College, June 1920; and the Th. M. degree from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, May 1923.
T. D. Brown, Moderator, was born at Madison, Mississippi, and graduated from Mississippi College with the A. B. degree June 1908. He received the Th. M. degree from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in 1911. He held pastorates in Missouri, Arkansas, and Louisiana. Dr. Brown was head of the Bible Department of Ouachita College, 1926-1929, and also served as Executive Secretary of the Arkansas State Convention. He came to the Louisville pastorate from the St. Charles Avenue Baptist Church, New Orleans, Louisiana.
The following pastors, who had come into the State during the year, were presented: W. C. Boone, Crescent Hill, Louisville; O. G. Lawless, Albany, Clinton County; Kenneth Combs, Van Lear, Enterprise Association; O. Afton Linger, First Church, Corbin; Leslie Gilbert, Central Church, Corbin; and Harold D. Tallant, Assistant pastor, First Church, Frankfort. L. C. Ray, pastor of the Latonia Baptist Church, Covington, Ky. became Business Manager of the Western Recorder, February 1, 1941, succeeding Hon. W. A. Frost, who retired from that position December 31, 1940.
The new Business Manager was born at Mammoth Cave , Kentucky, graduated with the A. B. degree from Georgetown College, and received the Th . M . degree from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary . He
was pastor of the Franklin Street Church, Louisville, fourteen and a half years, before going to the Covington pastorate.
D. H. Daniel, pastor of the Dover Church, Shelby County Association, began work in the Training Union Department, August 1, 1941. Professor Warren F. Jones, entered upon his duties as President of Campbellsville College, September 1, 1941.
The Executive Board reported that $468,465.57 had been received for all denominational objects, an increase of $61,175.85 over the previous year; and also 16,943 baptisms, against 19,116 in 1940, a loss of 2,173. General Secretary J. W. Black made an encouraging announcement that all in debtedness on State Missions had been paid, and the Executive Board would begin the new year "with a clean slate."
Dr. W. M. Wood, Secretary of the State Mission Department had been unable to perform his duties during the latter part of the year, because of continued illness. He feelingly expressed his joy in being permitted to have a part in the mission work, but announced his resignation to take effect at the December meeting of the Executive Board. John W. Dowdy, who had been elected Secretary of the Promotion and Brotherhood Department, entered upon the work, January 1, 1941. The main object of this Department was to enlist the churches in the support of all the work "centering on the Co-operative Program."
Definite plans were adopted in the session of the General Association of 1941, to advance the interest of the Baptist Schools in Kentucky. A Committee of Twelve was appointed on Christian Education, whose "duties shall be to foster Christian Education under the auspices of the General Association of Baptists in Kentucky, and for this purpose, it shall have the right and power to originate and recommend to said Association at its annual meetings, such lawful measures as it shall consider best for the strengthening of existing institutions . . . ." Furthermore, this Committee of Twelve was empowered and authorized "to begin a campaign to raise not less than $750,000 for Baptist Education in Kentucky, and set up, in co-operation with and subject to the . . . Executive Board of the General Association, whatever organization may be necessary for its successful conclusion."
The long harrassing troubles, which had existed between Georgetown College and the General Association, were practically ended, when Dr. Henry Noble Sherwood left his position as President of the College. Accordingly on January 20, 1942 the Trustees of the College made application for the release of the sum of $47,233.37, which had been impounded by order of the Executive Board, February 5, 1935. The trustees, having fulfilled the conditions imposed by the General Association, the funds were released to be applied on the indebtedness of the College according to agreement. On November 1, 1942, Dr. Samuel S. Hill, pastor of the Deer Park Baptist Church, Louisville, was elected President of Georgetown College, and assumed the duties of administration at once.5
In less than a month after the adjournment of the General Association at Somerset, Japan made one of the most infamous attacks on the American fleet stationed in Pearl Harbor, known in military history. The attack was treacherously made on Sunday morning, December 7, 1941, when about 3000 American soldiers, marines and sailors lost their lives, and almost the entire American fleet was destroyed. President Franklin D. Roosevelt declared our nation in a state of war with Japan.
On December 11, Germany and Japan declared war on the United States. The whole tenor of American life was changed over night. Young men and many young women were immediately called into training. The churches and colleges were drained of young manhood to be distributed in all parts of the world to serve in the air, on the land, on and under the sea.6
The General Association met in the auditorium of the First Baptist Church, Princeton, November 10, 1942. T. D. Brown, who was elected moderator the year before, having left the State, Assistant Moderator D. L. Hill, Somerset, called the Association to order. Harold J. Purdy, pastor at Madisonville, conducted the opening worship, and A. L. Gillespie, pastor at Owenton, conducted the singing. President Samuel S. Hill of Georgetown College, was elected Moderator, and J. G. Cothran, pastor of the entertaining church, and George Ragland, First Church, Lexington, Assistant Moderators. E. D. Davis was again elected Recording Secretary, and George Raleigh Jewell, Assistant. L. C. Kelly, pastor First church, Pineville, preached the annual sermon, which was well received.
Samuel S. Hill, the moderator, was born in Virginia April 1, 1890. He was converted and baptized into the Republican Grove Baptist Church, Halifax County, Virginia, October 1904, and ordained in the Calvary Baptist Church, Richmond, Virginia in 1916 . After serving in country pastorates in his native state about three years, the young minister entered the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in 1921, where he received the Th. M. degree in 1924, and the Th. D. in 1926. Dr. Hill went from the Seminary to become pastor of the Bainbridge Street Baptist Church, Richmond, Virginia. In 1934 he came to Louisville in response to a call to the Deer Park Church, which he resigned to become President of Georgetown College on November 1, 1942.
The following pastors and other workers were introduced: Ray H. Dean, Central City; John W. Outland, Fredonia; Fred Tarpley, Adairville; George W. Tidwell, Baptist Temple, Louisville; Harold J. Purdy, Madisonville; and Kyle M. Yates, Walnut Street, Louisville. V. I. Masters resigned the editorship of the Western Recorder, October 10, 1942, after twenty-one years of "able, devoted, and unselfish service." John D. Freeman of Tennessee was elected editor, November 1, and was persented to the General Association as the new editor of the Western Rcorder and addressed the body.
Editor Freeman was a native of Arkansas, but had spent some years of his early ministry in Kentucky as pastor at West Broadway Church, Louisville, and later pastor at Springfield. In 1925 he became editor of the
Baptist and Reflector in Tennessee, and in 1933 was called to the position of Executive Secretary of the Tennessee Baptist Convention, and served until 1942, when he was called to the editorship of the Western Recorder.
After the retirement of W. M. Wood as Secretary of the Department of State Missions, the Executive Board made some adjustments, which resulted in placing State Missions, Promotion and Brotherhood under the direction of the office of the General Secretary. John W. Dowdy, who had been Secretary of the Promotion and Brotherhood work, was elected Assistant to General Secretary J. W. Black. The new Assistant was a graduate of the Oklahoma Baptist University, and attended the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.
Dr. Charles E. Maddry, Executive Secretary of the Foreign Board of the Southern Convention was quoted as saying that on account of war conditions "a number of missionaries have been evacuated from China and the door of Japan almost closed." He reported that the missionaries in Europe and the Near East had been forced to leave their stations because of the ravages of war, and the rise of new political powers. As a result of the famine in China multitudes of peoples were starving.
T. E. Ennis, Superintendent of the Kentucky Baptist Children's Home, died suddenly, Nov. 24, 1941. His death occurred in a few days following the session of the General Association at Somerset, which he attended to which he made his first report. T. E. Ennis left a long pastorate at La Grange to accept the work of Field Secretary of the Home, March 1939. Brother Ennis was elected superintendent and entered upon his duties, January 1, 1941, and was permitted to serve only ten months. Later J. G. Barbe, the superintendent of the Home, became permanently ill, resigned, moved to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, where he died January 7, 1945.
Dr. John R. Sampey, President of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary since 1929, retired May 1942, and became President Emeritus. On July 1 following Dr. Ellis Adams Fuller, pastor of the First Baptist Church, Atlanta, Georgia, was elected President of the Seminary and assumed his duties at the beginning of the session of 1942-1943.
The new President received the Th. M. degree from the Seminary, May 1922, and remained one year for post graduate work. After serving three years as pastor, in his native State, South Carolina, he became Superintendent of Evangelism of the Home Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention in 1925, and continued in that great work until 1928, when he accepted the patorate of the First Baptist Church, Atlanta, Georgia. During the Atlanta pastorate of fourteen years, Dr. Fuller was President of the Home Mission Board during the entire period; and also served as Director of the Hundred Thousand Club for Georgia.
Dr. Duke K. McCall, on behalf of the committee on Southwide Education, quoted Dr. Fuller in part: "You will be interested to know that we have enrolled 511 students. This is an increase of thirty-three over the enrollment at this time last year. The spirit of the Seminary is superb . . . In my judgment a commodious chapel is the greatest single need of the Seminary today."
Miss Carrie U. Littlejohn, Principal of the Woman's Missionary Union Training School , was next quoted: "I am glad to say that we are
enjoying our second session in our new location on Lexington Road. The advantages out here are manifold, entrance to all Seminary classes, participation in all their special programs, freedom from the noise and dirt of the downtown areas, benefits from outdoor life, and enjoyment of the beautiful surroundings. We have enrolled 163 students to date."7
The one-hundred and sixth annual session of the General Association was called to order by the Moderator, Samuel S. Hill at 1:40 P. M. November 16, in the auditorium of the First Baptist Church, Bowling Green. The pastor, R. T. Skinner, was elected first Assistant Moderator, and Pastor J. Marvin Adams, First Church, Middlesboro, second assistant. R. D. Martin, pastor at Fulton, preached the annual sermon. The following pastoral changes had been made during the year: John W. Moffatt, First Church, Newport; Walter M. Blackwell, Taylorsville; W. H. Heard, Eaton Memorial, Owensboro; Lucius M. Polhill, Deer Park, Louisville; H. G. M. Hatler, First Church, Princeton; Charles A. Maddry, Highland, Louisville; Joe Canzoneri, Lebanan Junction; H. L. Carter, Scottsville; Ira C. Cole, Baptist Tabernacle, Paducah; I. W. Rogers, Memorial, Murray; W. Oscar Gibson, Eighteenth Street, Louisville; E. M. Skinner, Benton; B. Carroll Carter, Bethany, Louisville; and Benson Richardson, Sugar Creek, Blood River Association and R. B. Hooks, East Church, Paducah.
The following missionaries recently appointed were presented: George Grubbs, District Missionary located at Stanford; W. T. Pelphrey, District Missionary at Big Branch; Winn T. Barr, District Missionary at Pikeville; Reed Rushing, District Missionary at Morgantown; and W. W. Johnson, District Missionary at Fairview.
During the year, John W. Dowdy, Assistant Secretary to Dr. J. W. Black, resigned and left the State, and Carroll Hubbard was elected his successor. Brother Hubbard went from the pastorate of the Memorial Church, Murray, to the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, and was pastor at Beaver Dam, when called to this position. Mr. J. Chester Durham was elected State Student Union Secretary, and entered upon his duties August 15, 1943, to work among the Baptist students in the various colleges of Kentucky.
The one outstanding forward movement during the year under the leadership of General Secretary J. W. Black was the selling of the old Baptist Headquarters' property at 205 E. Chestnut Street, Louisville, which had become inadequate, and purchasing the Educational Building of the Broadway Baptist Church, 127 E. Broadway. After this building was remodeled on the inside, ample space was provided to house all the departments of work of Kentucky Baptists for the years ahead.
In 1943 there was a marked financial increase for all denominational causes. The sum of $817,432.96, passed through the hands of the Executive Board, a gain of $212,429.84 over the previous year. The slogan "Debt free, in forty-three" was realized. On March 12, 1943, the shackles of
debt were broken on the Foreign Mission Board. The Home Mission Board had the occasion of rejoicing, when the last note of indebtedness was paid May 11, 1943. The debt on the Baptist Bible Institute, New Orleans, was paid in full August 24, the same year. The Southwestern Theological Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas, was debt free on October 1; while the indebted ness on the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary was paid in full on October 13.
The Committee of Twelve on Christian Education reported the plan to launch a campaign to raise $1,500,000 for the Baptist Schools of Kentucky. The committee announced that Rev. J. G. Cothran, pastor of the First Baptist Church, Princeton, Kentucky, had been chosen Director of the Christian Education Movement and was already in charge of the campaign.
Professor Kenneth Patterson, President of Bethel Woman's College, Hopkinsville, reported that the college suspended operation, July 1942, due to war conditions. All the dormitory rooms were occupied by the army officers of Camp Campbell. The income from the rent of rooms was used by the Trustees to pay off the indebtedness, make improvement on the buildings and purchase new equipment. President S. S. Hill of Georgetown College reported an excellent student body and that extensive improvements were being made on the buildings.
Frank M. Masters, Business Manager of the Bethel College property, Russellville, stated that the buildings and the entire campus were sold by order of the court on November 1, 1943 in behalf of the bondholders and that final settlement was made to the satisfaction of all concerned. Bethel College closed its doors as an educational institution on January 21, 1933 under the administration of F. M. Masters, the last President of the old historic college, founded in 1849.8
The General Association was called to order in the auditorium of the Immanuel Church, Lexington, by retiring Moderator S. S. Hill, at 1:30 P. M. November 14. Hon. A. T. Siler, a layman and attorney at law, Williamsburg, was elected Moderator; E. N. Wilkinson, the host pastor, and T. Emerson Wortham, pastor at Franklin, Kentucky, Assistant Moderators. E. F. Estes, pastor at West Broadway Church, Louisville, preached the annual sermon.
A. T. Siler, the Moderator elect, was born in Whitley County and was converted and became a member of the Boston Baptist Church in 1892 at the age of twenty-two years. He attended the Glasgow Normal School, Glasgow, Kentucky, in 1887, and received the A. B. degree from the National Normal University, Lebanon, Ohio, in 1892. After teaching several years, Mr. Siler was elected Superintendent of Public Instruction in Whitley County and served eight years. After practicing law for a number of years, he retired from the legal profession and has become President of the Bank at Williamsburg (1948) his home town. This well known layman
has always been active in his church and in promoting the interest of Cumberland College in Williamsburg.
The following new pastors were introduced: W. F. Badgett, Hazard; James A. Stewart, Broadway, Louisville; A. H. Stainback, Georgetown; B. T. Kimbrough, Audubon, Louisville; H. K. Langston, Fredonia; E. L. Branham, Stamping Ground; C. D. Cole, Mortons Gap; Houston Lanier, Columbia; and Warner Earle Fusselle, Fort Thomas.
Later J. W. Black, General Secretary, presented the following State Missionaries, who spoke briefly of their fields of labor: Buell H. Kazee, L. O. Griffith, Eldred M. Taylor, Tom Edwards, R. E. Sasser, L. E. Leeper, E. R. Sams, Cletus Wiley, F. R. Walters, A. A. Brady, J. S. Bell, J. Thomas Miller, R. S. Voris, J. S. Rose, W. W. Johnson, J. S. Dick, R. A. Slinker, W. T. Pelphrey, M R. Lovett, George Grubbs, Charles E. Steeley, W. R. Royce, H. O. Niceley, H. E. Porter, R. F. Shearer, W. H. Curl, C. D. Stevens, H. M. Herron, W. L. Crumpler, Carroll Hubbard, and R. B. Hooks .
A resolution was adopted at the session of 1943 instructing the Executive Board to make provision for a Corporation to be known as "The Kentucky Baptist Foundation." Accordingly the Executive Board at its regular meeting the following December appointed a committee to draft a charter for said corporation. The committee presented the charter to the present session, which was adopted, leaving any details to be worked out at the annual meeting of the Executive Board. Also important steps were taken towards "working out a City Mission and Rural Church Program," which was "to be sponsored by the Executive Board, and the Home Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention." The two Boards were to share equally in the expense of promoting these two types of work.
Rev. R. B. Hooks, pastor of the East Baptist Church, Paducah, was employed Field Secretary of the Rural Church Program, and entered upon the work August 1, 1944. Brother Hooks was ordained to the ministry by the New Bethel Church, Lyon County, and in the fall of 1928 entered Bethel College, where he spent two years. In June, 1934, he received the degree of A. B. from the Western Kentucky State Teachers College, Bowling Green, and Th. M. from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, May 1939. After graduating from the Seminary he accepted the pastorate of the Trenton Church, during which time he was Moderator of Bethel Association. Brother Hooks resigned to become General Field Worker under the Executive Board of the General Association to labor in the Southern Region. He entered upon the Paducah pastorate in 1942, and remained until he accepted the Rural Church work.
A number of Rural Field workers were employed from year to year and located in different sections of the State under the direction of Secretary Hooks. In December 1945, Rev. Quinn A. Cooper was located at New Liberty; in March, 1946, Rev. G. R. Pendergraph located at Eddyville; and in June 1946, Rev. Maurice R. Barnes, at Glasgow. Later Rev. L. W. Benedict was located at Catlettsburg, and Rev. John A. Ivey, at Russellville.
The object of this Rural Church Program was to promote with a definite plan the interest of the country church. The plan of work was fourfold:
1. Know the field. 2. Know the people on the field. 3. Know their program of work. 4. Know how to work out for them an adequate church program of work. The special program to help the church to get a new vision of their duty and opportunity is known as "The Rural Church Revival."
A Baptist City Mission Program in Kentucky was first put on in Louisville, under the leadership of Rev. J. Perry Carter, who began work as Superintendent, February 1943. Brother Carter was born in North Carolina and was educated in Fruitland Institute, in his native State; in Carson Newman College, Tennessee; and Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He served five years as gospel singer on the evangelistic staff of the Home Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention. He came to the City Mission work from the pastorate of the Carlisle Avenue Baptist Church, Louisville. The City Missions in Louisville under Baptist control began in October 1942, when the Long Run Association adopted the policy to co-operate with the new City Mission Program of the Home Mission Board, Atlanta, Georgia. The work started in a small way. What was known as the Union Gospel Mission, located at 114 East Jefferson Street, supported by all denominations, found itself without sufficient funds to continue operation. The governing board agreed to let the Baptists have the use of the building and equipment for one year. At the close of this trial year the property and equipment, valued at some $75,000, were deeded as an outright gift to the Long Run Association for the purpose of operating a downtown mission program entirely by the Baptists.
During the six years of administration under Rev. J. Perry Carter, Superintendent, the field of operation has become Association-wide and has grown to fifteen departments, in two general divisions, known as Promotional Work, and the Missionary Program. Twenty-one mission stations have been maintained, and seven new churches were constituted.
Under the same program of operation, City Missions was established in Covington and Newport under Rev. W. K. Wood, Superintendent, who came from a long pastorate of the Pollard Church, Ashland. In 1946, he was appointed evangelist in the mountain section, and Rev. Chase W. Jennings succeeded him as Superintendent in that area. Rev. Herbert Schmitz was appointed Superintendent of City Missions in the Henderson-Evansville field and began work in March, 1945. He had held long pastorates in each of the two cities.
Some changes in denominational leadership were made during the year. Rev. Lewis C. Ray closed his work as Business Manager of the Western Recorder January 31, 1944 to become pastor of the Baptist Tabernacle, Louisville. He was succeeded by Mr. Robert L. Pogue, who began work as Business Manager of the paper on April 1, 1944. Dr. Charles E. Maddry, Executive Secretary of the Foreign Mission Board, Richmond, Virginia retired from active service, and was succeeded by Dr. M. T. Rankin, former Secretary for the Orient. Rev. Carroll Hubbard, Assistant to General Secretary J. W. Black, was appointed Director in Kentucky of the South
wide Evangelistic Campaign being put on to win one million lost people to Christ during 1945, the Centennial year of the Southern Baptist Convention. The need was urgent for a mighty revival in the nation, as the destructive war was drawing to a close.
During the year two outstanding Baptist leaders were removed by death. Dr. Calvin Miles Thompson, who had served as General Secretary of the General Association from 1921 to 1938, seventeen years, died on July 19, 1944. Dr. Thompson was described by his biographer as "a good minister of Jesus Christ, an excellent preacher and pastor, and was a man of great executive ability." He did a constructive work as General Secretary during the years of depression following the first World War.
Dr. Marion Palmer Hunt was born July 1, 1860, and passed from this life in Louisville, Kentucky, August 5, 1944, at the age of eight-four years. He was educated at William Jewell College in Missouri, his native State, and at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. The major part of Dr. Hunt's ministry was spent in Louisville, where he was three times pastor of the Twenty-Second and Walnut Street Church, later becoming pastor of the West Broadway Church. In 1927 he accepted the pastorate of the Eighteenth Street Church, where he remained until he retired in 1942. His outstanding achievement was his untiring efforts to establish a Baptist hospital in Louisville, which resulted in the founding of the Kentucky Baptist Hospital. He directed a movement to outlaw race-track gambling in Kentucky. In addition to his other labors, Dr. Hunt was the author of several books.9
The 108th annual session of the General Association was called to order by Moderator A. T. Siler in the large auditorium of the Walnut Street Baptist Church, Louisville, Kentucky, on November 13, 1945, at 1:30 P. M. L. Carlyle Marney, pastor at Beaver Dam, led in the service of song, and Preston L. Ramsey, pastor at Somerset, led in the opening worship. Dr. W. O. Carver, Professor emeritus of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, was chosen first Assistant Moderator, and Dr. R. E. Humphreys, Owensboro, second Assistant. E. D. Davis was elected Recording and Statistical Secretary, and George Raleigh Jewell, Assistant Secretary. President Ellis A. Fuller, of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, preached the annual sermon from the text Luke 6:46, "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things I say." Following the warmly received message, a chorus from the Music Department of the Seminary sang.
Since the last session of the General Association, the terrible World War, that at one time threatened to blot out civilization, came to a close. The complete victory was achieved over the German Army in April, 1945, and the terms of the unconditional surrender of the Japanese Army were signed on September 12. Only time will reveal the extent of national destruction of life and property, and the depth of human misery and suffering, that came to the world as a result of the war.
Dr. J. W. Black, after seven years of service, announced his retirement from the office of General Secretary to take effect next month. His
retirement was according to an action of the Executive Board at its annual meeting, December 1943 providing, "That the General Secretary and heads of departments may retire on reaching the age of sixty-five, and are automatically retired on reaching the age of seventy."
Dr. Black reviewed briefly his work from January 2, 1939 to the present. He spoke of the tangible and intangible accomplishments during his administration. He referred to the time that he walked in darkness, be cause "she, who had walked with us from young manhood went away. "Had it not been for your sympathy, prayers and fellowship during those days, . . . most likely we would have gone down." Appropriate resolutions were unanimously adopted regarding the retirement of Secretary Black, expressing appreciation for his life, leadership and useful service. A beautiful lounge chair was presented by J. Perry Carter, spokesman, as an expression of the State Board's appreciation of his wise and capable leadership.
The General Association by resolution gave sympathetic approval of the two proposed Hospitals to be built in the State, - the Central Kentucky Baptist Hospital to be located at Lexington; and the West Kentucky Baptist Hospital, to be located at Paducah.
Some personal matters were given consideration during the session. On April 6, 1945, Dr. W. A. Gardiner, State Sunday School Secretary rounded out twenty-five years of service. Rev. Wheeler Thompson joined the Sunday school forces, having had a rich experience in pastoral work. At a called meeting of the Executive Board at the close of the Wednesday evening session of the Association, Dr. W. C. Boone, pastor of the Crescent Hill Church, Louisville, was elected General Secretary as the successor to Dr. J. W. Black. The new Secretary was presented to the body on Thursday morning.
On motion by Dr. Leo T. Crismon, President of the Kentucky Baptist Historical Society, the Moderator was authorized to appoint a committee to name a historian to bring J. H. Spencer's History of Kentucky Baptists to date from 1885, or to rework the earlier period, 1769-1885, using Spencer as a basis, and write up the period, 1885 to the present. The moderator, A. T. Siler, appointed the following committee to carry out the motion: Leo T. Crismon, Librarian of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Chairman; Wendell H. Rone, author of The History of Daviess-McLean Association; and Sydnor L. Stealey, Professor of Church History, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.
Since the last meeting of the General Association three distinguished brethren, who had labored successfully in the field of education in Kentucky, were called away by death.
Dr. Malcolm Browning Adams received the summons of death after more than fifty years of faithful Kingdom service. He was pastor at Maysville for two years, and of the First Baptist Church, Frankfort,
twenty-two years. In 1913 he was elected President of Georgetown College and continued to 1931, a period of seventeen years. He spent the remainder of his life in retirement, preaching to nearby churches.
Dr. J. McKee Adams, for twenty-four years Professor of Biblical Introduction in the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, passed away on September 17, 1945, at the age of fifty-eight years. Dr. Adams was a native of North Carolina, a graduate of Wake Forest College, and held Th. M. and Ph. D. degrees from the Seminary. This distinguished Professor succeeded in building his department in the Seminary to great importance and proportions.
Professor John W. Gaines, who was President of Bethel Woman's College, Hopkinsville, Kentucky, from 1919 to 1940 passed into the Beyond, March 4, 1945. He was a graduate of Furman University, South Carolina, his native State. Before coming to Bethel Woman's College, Dr. Gaines was President of Coker College, Hartsville, South Carolina; Cox College, Georgia; and Dean of Shorter College, Rome, Georgia.10
At the meeting of the General Association with the Pollard Baptist Church, Ashland, November 12, Dr. George Ragland was elected Moderator, and Dr. R. E. Humphreys, First Assistant Moderator, and Rev. Donald W. Wells, pastor of the Pollard Church, Second Assistant. A motion was made by W. H. Moody pastor at Columbia, that the body express its appreciation of retiring Moderator A. T. Siler "for the efficient way" he had conducted the affairs of the General Association.
George Ragland, the newly elected Moderator, was born in Richmond, Virginia, August 4, 1876, the son of John F. Ragland, and Alice Ragland. He was converted in young boyhood, and baptized into the membership of the Pine Street Baptist Church, Richmond, Virginia, by J. B. Hutson, who was pastor of the church forty-five years. Young Ragland received the A. B. degree from Richmond College in 1896 and the degree of Doctor of Philosophy from Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, 1921. Dr. Ragland was Professor of Greek in Baylor University, Waco, Texas, 1901-1910, and Professor of Ancient Languages in Georgetown College, Kentucky, 1910-1922. He was ordained to the Baptist ministry, November 22, 1922 in the First Baptist Church, Lexington, with Dr. George W. Truett, Dallas, Texas, presiding. The ordained preacher at once became pastor of this church, and was in the 24th year of his pastorate when elected Moderator of the General Association.
The following new pastors were introduced: James T. Ford, Sturgis; Thomas R. Brown, Cynthiana; E. L. Skiles, First Church, Georgetown; Rollin S. Burhans, Crescent Hill, Louisville; W. P. Davis, Clinton; A. J. Dickinson, Elkton; J. C. Jeffries, Hazelwood, Louisville; Wayne Dehoney, Pineville; W. R. Pettigrew, Walnut Street, Louisville; and H. C. Zicafoose, Kenwood, Louisville. Professor J. Leo Green, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, before delivering the annual sermon, presented a gavel to the
General Association, made from one of the beech trees on the campus of the Seminary with the following inscription: "Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, the Beeches, to the Kentucky Baptist General Association, November 12, 1946." The Moderator expressed the gratitude of Kentucky Baptists for the gift. The subject of Dr. Green's sermon was "The Message of the Cross."
The newly elected General Secretary, William Cooke Boone, entered upon his duties January 1, 1946. He was born in Bowling Green, Kentucky, February 8, 1892, the son of A. U. Boone and Eddie Belle Cooke Boone. He received the A. B. and A. M. degrees from William Jewell College, Missouri, and attended Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. Brother Boone was ordained to the ministry March 24, 1914 at the age of twenty-two years, in the First Baptist Church, Memphis, Tennessee, where his father, Dr. A. U. Boone, was pastor thirty-two years. Brother Boone came to Kentucky in 1918 from a pastorate in Marianna, Arkansas to accept a call from the First Baptist Church, Owensboro, where he remained as pastor until 1927, when he accepted a pastorate in Roanoke, Virginia. In 1930, Dr. Boone be came President of the Oklahoma Baptist University. He resigned this position after two years to accept a call from the First Baptist Church, Jackson, Tennessee. Here he continued until 1940, when he came to Louisville to become pastor of the Crescent Hill Church. In 1928 he received the honorary degree of D.D. from Georgetown College, and in 1931 was elected Vice-president of the Southern Baptist Convention at Birmingham.
Rev. L. O. Griffith was elected by the Executive Board to the position of Assistant to the General Secretary, W. C. Boone, and began work December 1, 1945. He was born in Carlisle County, in extreme West Kentucky, where he attended the local high school. Young Griffith was ordained to the ministry by the Bethlehem Baptist Church, in West Kentucky Association, August 1928. He graduated from Georgetown College in 1928, and from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in 1936 with the Th. M. degree. His first pastorate was with Cane Run Baptist Church, located in Elkhorn Association between Georgetown and Lexington. After several pastorates, Brother Griffith went to the mountains and spent four years as pastor of the Fleming Baptist Church in Letcher County. In 1937, he went from the Seminary back to the mountains, and became pastor of the First Baptist Church, Whitesburg, County seat of Letcher County, where he remained until 1945. L. O. Griffith, with the help of Lewis Waller Martin, started the Kentucky Baptist Boy's Camp at Clear Creek Mountain Springs, and served as Director during the summers from 1932 to 1945. Brother Griffith began work with the State Mission Board under the direction of Dr. J. W. Black, General Secretary, and served about eleven months. He continued the summer encampment work, and gave the rest of the time helping churches to organize for church-centered mission programs. Dr. W. C. Boone said: "Rev. L. O. Griffith has been of invaluable help as an Assistant in promoting all phases of work."
The Department of the School of Missions was created by the State Board of Missions, June 1945, with W. H. Curl, Director, the purpose of
which was to bring fresh missionary information and inspiration to the churches. Brother Curl had many years of missionary experience before coming to this important position. He was educated at Bethel College, Russellville, and Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He was pastor of several churches during his College and Seminary days. He began his long career in mission work in 1935. In 1940 Brother Curl was appointed Field Worker for all eastern Kentucky with instructions to major in the North eastern Region, which necessitated moving to Ashland. He remained in this work until June 1945, when he was appointed Director of Missionary Train ing for the entire State. The first simultaneous School of Missions program, put on by the new Director, was in Lincoln County Association in the fall of 1945. Since that time a great number of Bible Institutes, Missionary Emphasis Weeks, and Missionary Revivals have been conducted in the local churches.
In 1946 the Executive Board created a Department of Stewardship Revivals, the purpose of which was to revive New Testament Stewardship in the churches. Rev. Reed Rushing, General Field Worker for West Kentucky located at Greenville, was appointed State-wide Leader of the Stewardship Revivals, and began work in early summer. Rev. R. A. Slinker was appointed General Field Worker for West Kentucky and located at Murray. He entered upon his duties October 1, as a successor to Brother Rushing in that field.
Reed Rushing was qualified by training and experience for the work to which he had been appointed. He graduated from Bethel College, Russellville, and received the A. B. degree from Western Kentucky State Teachers College, Bowling Green, in June 1933. He attended the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, but was forced to leave after two years on account of ill health. The new leader made his first report to the General Association November 1947, which showed that simultaneous Stewardship Revivals were held in eight Associations, embracing eighty-six churches. A total of 19,427 persons attended these meetings and the offerings for State Missions amounted to $2,219.72, not including $756.92 for expenses. Three hundred and forty-six tithers were enlisted, and 1584 individuals were discovered, who were already tithers.
The Kentucky Baptist Foundation was firmly established with legally appointed Trustees, according to the law of Kentucky. All Trust Funds, held by the State Board, were transferred to the Foundation, and the Board recommended "That all other boards, schools, and various other institutions, supported by the General Association, give consideration to the turning over to the Kentucky Baptist Foundation of their present trust funds and endowments."
Dr. A. M. Vollmer, Superintendent of the Louisville Orphans' Home, was elected Secretary and Treasurer of the Foundation and entered upon his duties, July 1, 1946. He was ordained to the gospel ministry by the Walnut Street Baptist Church, Louisville, Kentucky, May 1923. This preacher served one year as Educational Director of the First Baptist
Church, of Harlan Kentucky, and on January 1, 1924, became Educational Director of the Walnut Street Baptist Church, Louisville, Kentucky, and continued in that position until December 15, 1934. In May 1927, he graduated from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary with the Th. G. degree, and the following August received the B. A. degree from Georgetown College.
Brother Vollmer was called to the pastorate of the First Baptist Church, Dyersburg, Tennessee, December 15, 1934, and continued ten years. During this time, he was a member and secretary of the Board of Trustees of Union University, at Jackson, Tennessee, and also received the conferred degree of D. D. from that institution. Dr. Vollmer was also a member and secretary of the State Mission Board of the Tennessee Baptist State Convention. He returned to Kentucky in 1944 to become Superintendent of the Louisville Orphans'Home. On February 7, 1947, Dr. Vollmer was appointed Director of the Education Movement, to succeed Dr. J. G. Cothran, to serve in connection with his duties as Executive Secretary of the Kentucky Baptist Foundation.
During the past year, Rev. J. G. Cothran, the Director of the Educational Movement, resigned after three years of service to accept the pas torate of the First Baptist Church, Arkadelphia, Arkansas. Resolutions were passed by the Education Department, expressing to Rev. J. G. Cothran "appreciation for the splendid work done and the sacrificial service rendered to Christian Education in Kentucky, particularly for his wise and patient leadership in the critical formative stage of the Christian Education Movement."
President Samuel S. Hill, President of Georgetown College, reported a student body around seven hundred, that the capacity of the dining room had been enlarged one-hundred percent, and that fourteen new professors had been added to the faculty.
Bethel Woman's College at Hopkinsville reopened for the session of 1945-1946, after having been closed three years because of war conditions. Dr. Powhatan W. James was the new President. He had served in a number of prominent pastorates, was a well-known educator, and a popular author. The session, which opened in 1946, enrolled 180 students and maintained a faculty of eighteen members. The College was debt-free and was able to purchase a lot and residence adjoining the campus for $10,000 to be used by faculty members. The amount received during the year for the support of all the affiliated schools in the special offering for Christian Education, and through the Co-operative Program was $201,674.76, as over against $220,856.30 received the year before.
The Ministers Retirement Plan which became operative in Kentucky January 1, 1940, had grown by November 1, 1946 to approximately 675 churches and 425 pastors participating in the plan, which was maintained by the pastor paying three percent of his salary into the fund, the church likewise paying three percent , and the Executive Board two percent. Rev. Baynard F. Fox, pastor at Elkton, Kentucky, was employed as Director of
the Minister's Retirement Plans, and assumed the duties of the office February 8, 1946. Brother Fox was born at Stephensport, Kentucky, December 13, 1910, and was educated at the University of Louisville, at Austin Peay State Teacher's College, Clarksville, Tennessee, and the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He went from the Macedonia Baptist Church, Breckenridge County Association to the Elkton pastorate July 1, 1943, where he remained three years, and was Moderator of the Bethel Association two years.
Following the last session of the General Association Dr. John D. Freeman resigned the editorship of the Western Recorder to become General Field Worker of the Rural Church Department of the Home Mission Board, Atlanta, Georgia. In July, 1946, Dr. R. T. Skinner, pastor of the First Baptist Church, Bowling Green, Kentucky, was elected editor of the Western Recorder, and assumed his duties September 1 following.
The newly elected editor was born in Murray, Kentucky, licensed to preach by the Palm Avenue Baptist Church, Tampa, Florida in 1912, and ordained to the ministry by the Lockeland Baptist Church, Nashville, Ten nessee, August 13, 1916. He graduated from Union University with the A. B. degree, including a course in Theology, in the Summer of 1917, and became principal of Doyle Academy, Doyle, Tennessee. While in Tennessee, Dr. Skinner was pastor of the Baptist Church at McMinnville, First Baptist Church, Watertown, and First Baptist Church, Milan. After serving the Central Park Baptist Church, Birmingham, Alabama, seven years, Brother Skinner accepted the pastorate of the First Baptist Church, Bowling Green, Kentucky, December 19, 193, and was in his twelfth year, when he became editor of the Western Recorder. In 1936, he received the Doctor of Divinity degree from Union University, Jackson, Tennessee, his Alma Mater.
The proposition of merging the two orphans' homes - The Kentucky Baptist Children's Home and the Louisville Baptist Orphans' Home - into one institution, had been under consideration for more than a year. The question of this proposed merger was before the present session of the General Association for final decision. Accordingly Mr. V. V. Cooke, a prominent layman of Louisville, presented the proposal, "That the Kentucky Baptist Children's Home, at Glendale, Kentucky, and the Louisville Baptist Orphan's Home be merged into one institution, and that the combined home be moved to Buechel, Kentucky, and re-established on the cottage plan." Mr. Cooke, very forceably outlined the advantages that would accrue from the union. The opposition to the plan was led by Dr. C. W. Elsey, pastor at Shelbyville, who set forth his position with great earnestness. Both sides of the question were extensively discussed by at least a dozen speakers. A majority voted against the merging of the two Homes. Rev. Roy M. Gabbard, pastor at Greenville, who voted on the losing side, made a motion that the vote be made unanimous, which was passed without opposition. Thus the two Orphanages remained separate institutions.
The members of the Historical Committee appointed by the Moderator
last year with a view of bringing up to date J. H. Spencer's History of Kentucky Baptists, proposed that in co-operation with the Executive Committee of the Executive Board of the General Association, “ that Dr . Frank M . Masters , who has already done extensive work in the field, be engaged for the task. "Dr. Masters, who was then pastor of the Second Baptist Church, Princeton, Kentucky, resigned and began the preliminary work on the proposed history, December 1, 1946.
Dr. John R. Sampey, President emeritus of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, died at his home in Louisville, Kentucky, August 18, 1946, approaching his eighty-fourth year. He was born in Fort Deposit, Alabama, September 27, 1863 and graduated from Howard College in 1882 with the A. M. degree, and from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in 1885. He was chosen by Dr. John A. Broadus, after his graduation, to be his assistant in New Testament and Homiletics, and in 1887 he became assistant instructor in Old Testament Interpretation, and in 1890 Associate Professor. In 1892 Dr. Sampey became full Professor of Old Testament In terpretation in English and Hebrew, and continued until 1943, a period of fifty-one years. He was elected President of the Seminary in 1929, and served until 1942, when he retired as President Emeritus.
Dr. Sampey was President of the Southern Baptist Convention, 1935-1938, and he was a member of the International Sunday School Lesson Committee forty-two years. His Hebrew scholarship was shown in his being made Chairman of the Old Testament Committee in the revision of the American Standard Bible, 1930-1938. During his long service as Professor of Old Testament in the Seminary Dr. Sampey probably taught more ministers than any other teacher known in history-over seven thousand.11
The General Association met in Owensboro for the sixth time. The first session was held in 1862; the second, in 1880; the third, in 1890; the fourth, in 1900; and the fifth in 1920. At the very opening of the present session, the Moderator suggested that a telegram be sent to Dr. A. U. Boone, who was ill in the Memphis Baptist Hospital. It was interesting to observe that Dr. A. U. Boone was present at the General Association, which met in Owensboro, in 1890 fifty-seven years before.
For the first time in many years, all six of the offices were filled by the same officers. Dr. George Ragland was re-elected Moderator, Rev. Donald W. Wells, host pastor of the last session at Ashland, and Dr. R. E. Humphreys, host pastor this year were re-elected Assistant Moderators; while Rev. E. D. Davis was re-elected Recording and Statistical Secretary, and George Raleigh Jewell was re-elected Assistant Secretary. Dr. R. E. Humphreys, pastor of the First Baptist Church introduced all the pastors of the Owensboro Churches, who had co-operated in the plans of entertaining 660 messengers and visitors. W. S. Coakley, for many years pastor of the Walnut Street Church, and then pastor of the Parish Avenue Church, was introduced as "the dean" of the Owensboro pastors. J. Ray Dobbins was introduced as pastor of the Hall Street Church; John C. Huffman,
Seven Hills; Henry W. Schafer, Eaton Memorial; I. L. Baughn, Crabtree Avenue; H. B. Kuhnle, Third Baptist; and Hugh Van Eaton, Walnut Street. The Moderator, Dr. George Ragland, called all the Ex-Moderators present to the platform including O. M. Shultz, E. C. Stevens, W. H. Horton, J. W. Black, C. W. Elsey, T. D. Brown, and George E. Hays. The annual sermon was preached by A. H. Cullen, pastor of the Calvary Baptist Church, Evansville, Indiana. T. E. Smith, pastor at Hardinsburg, the alternate, read the Scriptures and led in prayer . The subject of the sermon was " Baptists and their Business ” based on a number of passages of Scrip tures . The record thus refers to this great message delivered by Brother Cullen: "No sermon before the Association in recent years showed more profound thought and preparation, as well as zeal in delivery and enthusiasm, than did this one."
The contributions to the Co-operative Program amounted to $966,504.16, a gain of $114,755.33 over the previous year; but the total receipts for all objects was $1,761,649.75 against $1,783,124.80, received the year before. The special campaign promoted by the Education Department in April, May and June resulted in raising approximately $100,000 for buildings and equipment of the six Baptist scchools. Dr. O. W. Yates of Ouachita College, Arkansas, was elected, in early summer, Financial Agent of Georgetown College. Dr. Yates was well known among Kentucky Baptists as pastor, and especially by his long connection with Bethel College, Russellville. All Baptists in Kentucky interested in Christian Education, were greatly encouraged when three Baptist brothers, V. V. Cooke and Almond Cooke, Louisville, and L. R. Cook, Lexington, made a gift of $120,000 to Georgetown College.
The Statewide Baptist Student Union under the direction of Mr. J. Chester Durham had begun to accomplish more tangible results among the Baptist students in the State institutions than in the past years. A building was purchased opposite the campus of the University of Kentucky at Lexington for a Baptist Student Center at the purchase price of $27,000. The building has four apartments, is modern and well constructed. The State Board paid half the cost of the building, and the Baptist churches of Lexington the other half, and the expenses of remodeling, while the State Board paid the cost of furnishing and equipment. Also progress has been made in 1947 on a Student Center Building at Murray State Teachers College, which will soon be completed. In this building, the First Baptist Church and the State Board of Missions are sharing the cost. Both these Student Centers are the property of the General Association of Kentucky Baptists.
Following the precedent of eight other states of the Southern Baptist Convention, the Executive Board purchased a modern brick residence in the City of Louisville for the General Secretary. The housing situation following the war was so serious and rents so exhorbitant that the Board thought it advisable that the General Association should own a home to be occupied by the General Secretary. A plan was devised to pay for the property during a period of four or five years without using any State Mission
funds. The home was purchased while Dr. W. C. Boone, the General Secretary, was attending the Baptist World Alliance in Copenhagen, Denmark, July and August, 1947.
The Historical Committee reported that Dr. Frank M. Masters, historian of Kentucky Baptists, "has fifteen chapters completely written, bring ing the history up to the organization of the Kentucky Baptist State Convention, in 1832. He has also a great deal of material and some writing done . . . . extending well into the 1840's." The work is being done under the joint sponsorship of the Historical Committee of the General As sociation and Kentucky Baptist Historical Society. The report recommended the time be extended "into the second year or beyond", for Dr. Masters to complete the history.
Dr. William Edward Mitchell, a preacher of 57 years in Kentucky churches, died January 5, 1947, at the age of eighty-one years. He was a graduate of Georgetown College in the class of 1891, served the college as Trustee for twenty years, and as vice-president from 1914 to 1917. He was recording secretary of the Baptist Education Society of Kentucky through its entire history of thirty-five years. Dr. Mitchell was a member of the State Executive Board of the General Association for fifteen years, preached the annual sermon before the Association and was elected Mod erator of that body in 1932 and served two years. Brother Mitchell's mother, Mrs. Bettie Harvey Mitchell, was a sister of the late W. P. Harvey, so long prominent among Kentucky Baptists.12
Notes1. Gwaltney, L. L., The World's Greatest Decade, p. 21-25.
2. Minutes of the General Association of Baptists in Kentucky, 1939, p. 17, 18, 20-24,85; Alldredge, E. P., Southern Baptist Handbook, 1940, p. 296.
3. Minutes of the General Association of Baptists in Kentucky, 1940, p. 17, 18, 43, 46, 48, 49.
4. Annual of the Southern Baptist Convention, 1940, p. 24, 25.
5. Minutes of the General Association of Baptists in Kentucky, 1941, p. 17-19, 21, 26-30, 44-47, 59, 75, 88; 1942, p. 26; The Quarterly Review, Oct.-Dec., 1942, p. 315.
6. Gwaltney, L. L. , op. cit., p. 27, 28.
7. Minutes of the General Association of Baptists in Kentucky, 1942, p. 17-19, 25, 73, 102, 114, 115, 118.
8. Ibid., 1943, p. 17, 18, 20, 26, 27, 35, 36, 40, 41, 43-45, 74.
9. Ibid., 1944, p. 21-23, 25, 27-32, 76, 83, 101, 103, 105.
10. Ibid., 1945, p. 23, 24, 27-29, 32-39, 50, 51, 108-111, 118.
11 Ibid., 1946, p. 23-26, 30, 34-37, 90-94, 97-102, 113-115, 117.
12. Ibid., 1947, p. 26-28, 31, 32, 56-58, 81, 95, 115, 116.
[From Frank M. Masters, A History of Baptists in Kentucky, 1953, pp. 532-551. Scanned and formatted by Jim Duvall.]
More Kentucky Baptist Histories
Baptist History Homepage