A History of Baptists in Kentucky
By Frank M. Masters
The Final Group of District Associations
1900 – 1925
From the beginning of the century to the close of the Seventy Five Million Campaign, 1925, sixteen associations were constituted. From that date, no other such body has been formed in Kentucky until 1948, when the Ohio Valley Association was divided, and the West Kentuckiana was organized to which reference has already been made. The sixteen associa- tions to be considered are as follows: Severn's Valley, Whites Run, Simp- son, Three Forks, Ohio County, Breckenridge, Logan County, Pulaski, Muhlenberg, McCreary County, Henry County, Russell County, Owen County, Christian County, Caldwell, and Jackson County.
THE SEVERN'S VALLEY
The Severn's Valley Association was constituted on October 28, 1899, of churches dismissed from the Salem Association, which, in session September 20-22, 1899, adopted the following, “Moved and carried that the regular order of business be suspended, that any churches desiring might call for letters of dismission from this Association . . . . in order that the churches might form a new Association.” The records then state: "The messengers from various churches, granted letters of dismission by Salem Association at its last session, met at Severn's Valley Church, Elizabethtown . . . on October 28, 1899, and, after prayer by Brother D. F. Shacklette, were called to order by Brother L. A. Faurest, the Clerk of Severn's Valley Church.”
The messengers assembled after temporary organization. Letters from the following churches were read: Bethel, J. B. Hutcherson, pastor, 72 members; Big Spring, B. F. Hagan, pastor, 121 members; Colesburg, pastorless, 57 members; East Rhudes Creek, J. B. Hutcherson, pastor, 126 members; Gilead, W. H. Brengle, pastor, 164 members; Meeting Creek, W. H. Setzer, pastor, 68 members; Middle Creek, W. J. Puckett, pastor, 142 members; Mill Creek, W. F. Wagner, pastor, 128 members; Mt. Zion, R. E. Holder, pastor, 205 members; Nolynn, B. F. Hagan, pastor, 162 members; Pitt's Point, W. F. Wagner, pastor, 30 members; Rhudes Creek, R. C. Kimble, pastor, 71 members; Severn's Valley, W. H. Brengle, pastor, 238 members; Valley Creek, R. E. Holder, pastor, 292 members; White Mills, W. L. Ramsay, pastor, 64 members; Youngers Creek, W. B. Gwynn, pastor, 96 members; Franklin Cross Roads, W. H. Setzer, pastor, 72 members; Hodgenville, B. F. Hagan, pastor, 157 members; and Sonora, R. C. Kimble, pastor, 116 members. The nineteen churches numbered 2,381 members.
The Association was declared organized, and Brother S. H. Bland was elected the first Moderator, and was continued in that position fifteen years. Brother L. A. Faurest was elected the first Clerk, and served seven
years out of nine. Order of Business, Rules of Order and Constitution were adopted. Elder B. F. Hagan was elected a messenger to the Southern Baptist Convention to meet in Hot Springs, Arkansas, May 1900.
The third annual session of the Severn's Valley Association was held with the Nolynn Baptist Church, September 25-26, 1901. Elder W. J. Puckett, pastor at Valley Creek, preached the introductory sermon from Matthew 25:21. Twenty-one churches were represented, which reported 164 baptisms, 93 received by letter and restoration, a total of 2,652 members, 815 pupils enrolled in the Sunday schools, $715.28 for all missions, and a total of $3801.35 for local current expenses, including pastors' salaries.
The Association met in its seventeenth annual session with the church at Hodgenville, September 29-30, 1915. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder W. S. Shipp, of Salem Association. Brother W. J. Shacklette was elected Moderator, and Brother R. W. McGill, Clerk. The twenty-one co-operating churches reported 3445 members, 1885 pupils enrolled in the Sunday schools, and $2475.93 for missions and benevolences. The Severn's Valley Church reported 533 members and Hodgenville Church 305. The report on Orphanages contained the following: "The Kentucky Baptist Children's Home opened to receive children on June 23, 1915, at Lynnland, near Glendale. There are now forty children in the Home-four conversions and baptisms.” The churches of the Severn's Valley Association, contributed $1188.88 to the new Home during the year.
In 1930 the Severn's Valley Association met with Middle Creek Church, Rev. W. T. Jewell, pastor. Gilead church being located near the Kentucky Baptist Children's Home, Pastor J. E. Darter had the privilege of baptizing forty-four boys and girls into the fellowship of the church during the year. The introductory sermon was preached by Rev. B. B. Hilbun, pastor of the Cecelia Baptist Church. Brother C. E. Morgan was elected Moderator, and Brother A. F. Tabb, Clerk, for the fifth time. Nineteen churches were represented, numbering 3,073 members, and 2,004 in Sunday school. In 1945, after fifteen years, the churches numbered twenty-two with a total of 5,521 members. The Severn's Valley Church, Rev. W. Fred Kendall, pastor, reported 1370 members.'
The session of 1948 was held with the Middle Creek Church, September 21-22. Rev. E. Warren Rust was elected Moderator, and Faurest M. Day, Clerk. Since 1945, the membership of the churches of the Association had increased to 6728. The larger churches were: Severn's Valley, L. E. Martin, pastor, 1610 members; Hodgenville, W. Lloyd Cloud, pastor, 737 members; Gilead, H. B. Deakins, pastor, 594 members; and Vine Grove, E. Warren Rust, pastor, 458 members. The Severn's Valley Church, located in Elizabethtown, constituted June 18, 1781, was the first church planted on Kentucky soil.
The Whites Run Association was constituted of churches dismissed from the Concord Association in session at Mussel Shoals Church, Owen County, September 19-20, 1900, according to the action of that body: "In compliance with the request of Brother R. C. Hubbard, who asked for
letters from the following churches: Bramlette, Can Run, Carrollton, Drennon's Ridge, English, Jordan, Liberty Station, White's Run, Worthville, and Warsaw," for the purpose of forming a new Association, to be known as White's Run. Brethren W. E. Mitchell, P. E. Burroughs and C. W. Threlkeld were appointed a committee to draft suitable resolutions on the subject, whereupon the following were reported and adopted:
“Resolved, 1. That the letters be and are hereby granted as requested.
“Resolved, 2. That while we deplore their departure, and will miss them in council and co-operation, at the same time believing their object is to promote better the cause of Christ, we submit cheerfully to their request, hoping and praying that the blessings of God may continually be with them."
The Whites Run Association held its first session at Bramlette Church, October 1-2, 1901, with 0. M. Wood, moderator, and T. M. Scott, clerk. The session of Tenth Annual meeting held in 1910 reported fourteen churches represented with a total of 2178 members. In 1911 the following churches were represented: Bramlette, 89 members; Can Run, 244; Carrollton, 274; Cove Hill, 105; English, 125; Ghent, 252; Jordan, 187; Liberty Station, 230; Locust, 164; Macedonia, no report; Mt. Herman, 74; Warsaw, 106; Whites Run, 245; and Worthville, 82, a total of 2177 members. In the session, October 1915, thirteen churches were represented, numbering 2022 members. After an interval of ten years, the Association in session, October 1925, numbered twelve churches with 2607 members. The church at Carrollton, the county seat of Carroll County, reported 521 members, Rev. W. R. Cole, pastor; and the church at Ghent, 395 members, C. B. Jackson, pastor.
The forty-eighth annual session of the Whites Run Association was held with the Whites Run Church, October 6-7, 1948. Paul H. Williams was Moderator, and S. J. McNeal, Clerk. The introductory sermon was preached by Rev. Austin Staples, pastor at Sanders. Eleven churches were represented, which reported 2634 members, 1221 pupils enrolled in Sunday school, and $4,936.18 contributed to missions and benevolences. Eight of the churches reported full time preaching services, of which Carrollton was the largest numbering 609 members. The church at Ghent was the second largest with 317 members, Rev. J. T. Williams, Louisville, Kentucky, pastor.
The Simpson Association was constituted September 18, 1900 at Cedar Grove, located six miles southeast of Franklin, the county seat of Simpson County. The Association was formed of churches dismissed from the Bethel Association according to the following action of that body: “At the meeting of the Bethel Association at Trenton, August 7, 1900, provision was made for the forming of the Simpson Association by giving letters to the following churches: Franklin, Lake Springs, Providence, Sulphur Springs, Middleton, and Whippoorwill.” On motion by Brother W. A. Whittle, Brethren Charles H. Nash, J. S. Cheek, John S. Miller, E. S. Alderman and W. S. Ryland were appointed as a committee to meet the messengers of the churches at Cedar Grove church, to aid in the organization of the new Association.
The third annual session of the new Association was held with the Whippoorwill Church, in Logan County on July 29-30, 1902. Rev. V. K. Witt was elected Moderator and E. L. Gillespie, Clerk. Messengers were enrolled from thirteen churches, which reported 1825 members. Some of the pastors in the Association were A. Malone, V. K. Witt, W. A. Whittle, J. S. Thompson, P. E. Herndon, J. H. Burnett, E. N. Dicken, N. B. Towe. In 1904, the thirteen churches represented, reported 29 baptisms, 54 received by letter and otherwise, a total of 2174 members, and $4,296.01 contributed to all purposes. In 1910, six years later, fourteen churches reported 188 baptisms, 110 received by letter, a total of 2389 members.
The Association met with the Whippoorwill Church in Logan County July 22-23, 1920. R. N. Gillespie was Moderator and W. T. Stringer, Clerk. J. P. Scruggs was pastor at Franklin, the county seat of Simpson County. Thirteen churches were represented in this session, with 2355 members. In the session of 1930, J. J. Jepson was moderator, and W. T. Stringer, clerk. The twelve churches represented, reported 2436 members. J. G. Barbe was pastor at Franklin, 572 members, and O. W. Yates, at Sulphur Springs, 336 members. The Association met July 31, 1940 with the New Salem Church. G. G. Graber, pastor at Franklin, was Moderator, and J. J. Jepson, Clerk. The thirteen churches reported 2853 members, and the sum of $2298.70 contributed to missions.
The session of 1948 was held with the Lake Springs Church, Brother Robert Jacob, Moderator, and Millard Brackin, Clerk. Twelve churches were represented with 2,955 members. The church at Franklin reported 838 members, which was the largest in the Association, Dr. T. Emerson Wortham, pastor. The Sulphur Springs Church, constituted in 1834 was the oldest and also second largest with 460 members with Lehman Webb, pastor.
The Three Forks Association was evidently constituted in 1901, since the first session was held with the Beech Grove Church, Leslie County, November 16-18, 1901 in a regularly organized capacity. Messengers from the following churches were enrolled: Hazard, 72 members; Bush Branch, 64; Beech Grove, 70; Dwarf, 9; Hindman, county seat of Knott County, 31; Johnson, 52; and Riverside, 26. The constitution was read and adopted. Rev. A. S. Petrey was elected Moderator, and served at intervals, fourteen years. Lewis Lyttle was elected clerk, and Rev. J. G. Parsons preached the introductory sermon. In this session it was urged that every church in the Association maintain a Sunday school. The body endorsed the effort to establish a school at Hazard, which would add greatly to the Baptist cause in that part of the State.
In 1905, State Evangelist G. W. Argabrite preached before the Association. The result was "a deep conviction took possession of the audience ... and at the close of it, seven came forward and asked for membership in the Church.” In 1908 the Association met with the church at Hazard with twelve churches represented. They reported 109 baptisms, a total of 770 members, $694.00 contributed to pastoral support, and $273.50 for all missionary purposes. In 1914, the same important facts were set forth by the Association. The body was composed of seventeen churches
located in five counties, “comprising a large section of the richest coal and timber lands in the State.” In the five years since 1914, "tremendous commercial, and industrial development has been made.” The people were not prepared for such a great movement. The report continues: “The membership of the churches were not trained for service, and therefore, were not prepared for the necessary heroic effort in the work of the Lord, which was required." There was not a self supporting church in the Association, which "needs pastors, evangelists, colporters, and Sunday school workers to develop and strengthen the members of the churches.” The report states that eighty per cent of the population was "ungodly and no professors."
In 1930 there were twenty-one co-operating churches with 2291 members. Some of the pastors were L. W. Martin, L. O. Griffith, C. D. Stevens, A. S. Petrey. In 1940 the Association was composed of twenty-eight churches with 3,803 members. L. O. Griffith was elected Moderator for the fourth time and G. W. Nicholson, Clerk for the fourteenth time.
In 1948, twenty-five churches were represented with 4443 members. Twenty-three of these churches supported full time preaching The First Church, Hazard, was the largest numbering 1120 members, and Rev. W. F. Badgett, pastor. The Whitesburg Church was the second largest with 496 members and Rev. Marion E. Parker, pastor. Rev. R. Lee James, pastor at Jenkins, was Moderator of the session of 1948.4
THE OHIO COUNTY
The Ohio County Baptist Association was constituted, September 28, 1901, at a convention of messengers from Baptist churches in Ohio County, Kentucky, held with the Baptist Church at Hartford. The Association was organized by electing Dr. J. S. Coleman, temporary President and Judge J. P. Miller and Judge Ben Newton, temporary Vice-Presidents, E. N. Morrison and Professor 0. M. Shultz, Secretaries.
After enrolling the names of the messengers of the churches to compose the Convention, the motion was made and carried to proceed with the organization of the Baptist Churches of Ohio County into an Association, to be known and denominated the Ohio County Baptist Association. The Moderator then called for all churches desiring to go into the new organization, and the following responded through their messengers: Adaburg, Beaver Dam, Barnetts Creek, Bells Run, Cane Run, Concord, Cool Springs, Deanfield, Green River, Hartford, Independence, Mt. Zion, Pleasant Grove, Pond Run, Render, Rockport, Slaty Creek, Small House, Walton's Creek, West Point, New Zion, and West Providence. These twenty-two churches reported a total of 2,869 members.
Twelve of these churches were dismissed by the Daviess County Association for the purpose of forming the new Association. The motion prevailed that any Baptist church desiring to become a constituent member will be accepted upon the presentation of their credentials, to the clerk of the Association, and that the clerk be instructed to write all churches in Ohio County not represented. The New Hampshire Articles of Faith were adopted, and the Constitution of the Daviess County Association was adopted with an amendment to apply to this body. Beaver Dam was named the
place of the next meeting to be held on Tuesday after the fourth Sunday in August, 1902. On motion Secretary of the Association, O. M. Shultz, was made Treasurer.
The second annual session of the Ohio County Association was held in Beaver Dam at the appointed time. Elder G. H. Lawrence, preached the introductory sermon, and Dr. J. S. Coleman, who was Moderator of the Daviess County Association for twenty-nine years, was elected to preside over the new Association. This was Dr. Coleman's last year of service as Moderator, because of the infirmities of age. He was removed from this life by death two years later, on March 29, 1904.
The Association met with the Bell Run Church, August 1904, Brother J. T. Casebier was elected Moderator and Elder J. N. Jarnagin preached the annual sermon. Twenty-eight churches represented, reported 223 baptisms, 89 received by letter, and a total of 3,456 members. In 1915, the session was held with the Green River Church, near Beaver Dam, August 11 and 12. Elder H. P. Brown was Moderator and L. W. Tichenor, Clerk. Thirty-seven churches were represented with a total of 5,063 members, and 3088 pupils enrolled in Sunday schools.
The twenty-fifth annual session was held August 12 and 13, 1925, with the Pleasant Grove Baptist Church. The opening worship was conducted by Dr. Victor I. Masters, editor of the Western Recorder. A. B. Tichenor was elected Moderator for the fifth time and continued to fill the office until 1931, a period of eleven years. A. N. Morris, pastor at Mt. Pleasant, and C. C. Daves, pastor at Beaver Dam, were elected assistant Moderators; and A. M. Smith, Clerk. Rev. C. S. Bratcher, pastor in the Association, preached the annual sermon. Forty-one churches represented, reported 5511 members, and 2616 pupils enrolled in the Sunday schools.
The session of 1936 was held in August with the church at Beaver Dam, J. L. Sullivan, pastor, who also preached the annual sermon. Otto C. Martin was elected Moderator, and Elders Ford Deusner, pastor at Hart- ford, and J. L. Sullivan, Assistant Moderators. The forty-one churches co-operating with the Association reported 6,106 members, and 3,270 pupils enrolled in the Sunday schools. In 1946, after ten years the forty churches represented in the Association aggregated 6648 members.
The forty-eighth session was held with the Deanfield Baptist Church, October 6-7, 1948. Forty-one churches were represented by messengers and reported 295 baptisms, a total of 6.801 members, and 3,400 persons enrolled in the Sunday schools. Beaver Dam, the largest church, reported 777 members, and Dr. J. Chester Badgett, the pastor, was elected Moderator of the Association. Hartford, the second largest church, reported 562 members with Rev. Andrew Hall, pastor. The value of all church property in the Association was $162,724; total gifts for all purposes in thirty-eight churches, $95,278.65; and total gifts for missions in thirty-three churches, $20,974.00.9
The churches which were later organized into the Breckenridge Association of Baptists first met in an advisory council at Hardinsburg on August 24, 1903. Decision was made to form an organization of churches located in Breckenridge County, and the churches agreed to ask for
letters of dismission from Goshen Association at its coming session. These churches met at Clover Creek Church, November 27, 1903.
The following churches met at Clover Creek for its organization: Clover Creek, 170 members; Cloverport, 187; Corinth, 200; Friend- ship, 32; Garfield, 139; Goshen, 215; Hardinsburg, 69; Hites Run, 63; Irvington, 153; New Bethel, 139; Stephensport, 132; Walnut Grove, 100. Lost Run seems to have been added later. All of the above churches came out of the Goshen Association, except Irvington, which came out of Salem Association.
Rev. W. V. Harrell was elected Moderator and C. M. Payne, Clerk. The following churches were admitted as members after 1903: Dry Valley, English, New Clear Creek, and Black Lick. Later the Clover Creek Church, where the Association was constituted, disbanded, and the members united with other Baptist churches; but in 1934 another church was constituted in the same community, and given the name of New Clover Creek. In the session of 1904, thirteen churches were represented with 1,487 members.
These same churches were represented in the session of 1905, which reported 1665 members, $366.12 contributed to missions, and $4073.05, for local church expenses, including pastors' salaries. In the session of 1909, fifteen churches were represented which reported 1,964 members and the sum of $4,356.34 contributed to all causes, including local church expenses, and gifts to missions and benevolences. On August 27, 1913, the Breckenridge Association met with the Corinth Church, H. S. English, Moderator, and W. C. Moorman, Clerk. Sixteen churches were represented, which made the following reports: One hundred and one persons received by baptism; fifty-six by letter; a total of 2,125 members, 943 pupils enrolled in the Sunday schools, and $6,258.83 contributed for all causes.
The Association met with the Goshen Church, August 31, 1927, with Elder H. S. English, Moderator, the fourteenth time, and Elder B. B. Hilbun, Clerk. The fourteen churches represented reported a total of 2,095 members, and 1281 pupils enrolled in the Sunday schools and $2,537.74 contributed to missions and $9963.02 for local church work. The Woman's Missionary Union reported twenty-three organizations, and the sum of $1758.27, contributed for all purposes.
In 1948, the Association met with the church at Macedonia and six- teen churches were represented. According to the statistics, there was a total of 2819 members, 1324 pupils enrolled in the Sunday schools, the sum of $14,448.00 paid on pastors' salaries, and $7832 contributed to missions. Cloverport constituted in 1832, was the largest church in the Association with 530 members, and Rev. G. C. Sandusky, pastor, who was also Moderator of the Association. Hardinsburg church constituted in 1841 was the second largest, reporting 366 members, and Rev. T. E. Smith, pastor. The New Bethel Church constituted in 1872 has had only three clerks. D. S. Miller, the third and present clerk, has served 51 years.
The Logan County Association was constituted at the 44th annual session of the Clear Fork Association held with the Green Ridge Baptist
Church, Logan County, August 11-12, 1903. The following resolution declares the end of Clear Fork Association and the beginning of Logan County: "Resolved that Article I of our constitution be amended by striking out 'Clear Fork' and submitting, 'Logan County' in the room thereof." An amendment was added “that the change in the name of this body shall take effect with the closing benediction of this annual meeting.”
The new Logan County Association met in the first annual session, Tuesday, August 16, 1904, with the Bethlehem Church at Homer, Logan County. The following churches were represented by messengers: Antioch, J. E. Baggett, pastor; Bethlehem and Elk Lick, J. R. Kennerly, pastor; Belleview and Mount Tabor, T. T. Powell; Cave Spring, no pastor; Center, New Hope and Pleasant Hill, A. B. Dorris; Clear Fork, in Warren County, A. B. Gardner; Epley and Gupton's Grove; G. W. Milam; Gum Grove, in Christian County, J. R. Ford; Green Ridge, E. F. Adams; Liberty, J. E. Baird; Mt. Pleasant, A. C. Dorris; New Friendship, A. B. Gardner; New Cedar Grove, M. M. Hall; Oak Grove, J. E. Bruce; and White Oak Grove, J. P. Clevenger.
These twenty churches reported a total of 1963 members. The Association was organized by electing Elder M. M. Hall, Moderator, H. K. Nelson, Clerk, and D. P. Browning, Treasurer. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J. R. Kennerly. The Executive Board contracted with Elder J. W. Bodine for the Colporter's work at $1.00 per day. Dr. W. P. Harvey, Louisville, represented the Western Recorder.
The second annual session of the Association met with New Friendship Church, August 15, 1905. Elder A. C. Dorris was elected Moderator and also preached the introductory sermon. Nineteen churches were represented, reporting 1642 members, $1064.75, contributed for current expenses, and $788.06 for missions. The session of 1913 was held with the Antioch Church, in Todd County. The twenty-two churches represented, numbered 2072 members.
The church at Lewisburg constituted June 18, 1901 was received in 1912 from Bethel Association, with which the church had been affiliated since 1909. During the year 1914, the Mt. Pleasant Church, constituted in 1822 moved to Lewisburg to unite with the church in that town to form a new church organization to be styled “The Lewisburg-Mt. Pleasant Church." Elder G. H. Lawrence was called to be pastor of the new church and led in the erection of a commodious house of worship, which was dedicated, Sunday, May 11, 1919.
The Logan County Association, though composed of rural churches, has experienced a prosperous, harmonious history. A number of beloved brethren have served as Moderator, but no one has served longer than four years. Elder E. F. Johnson served as Clerk from 1920 to 1935, a period of fifteen years. The session of 1948 was held with the Pleasant Hill Church, August 11-12, M. R. Rice, pastor. Twenty-two churches, reported a total of 3345 members, and 1728 pupils enrolled in the Sunday schools. The Lewisburg-Mt. Pleasant church was the largest, reporting 352 members and E. E. Spickard, pastor.7
The Pulaski County Association of Missionary Baptists was constituted at Somerset, October 11, 1904 of Baptist churches located in Pulaski County. This body had its origin at a regular meeting at Somerset Baptist Church, held on May 4, 1904, which took account of the fact that the South Kentucky Association "was so large that the work of the Master could be done to better advantage by having an association organized in Pulaski County."
A committee of five was appointed to prepare a letter to be addressed to the several churches in Pulaski County, requesting them to appoint one messenger from each church “to attend a preliminary meeting to be held at Somerset Baptist Church, Monday, July 25, 1904 at 11 A. M., giving him written authority to act for you.” Twenty-three churches responded by sending the messengers to the appointed place. C. S. Porter was elected chairman and W. H. Tibbals, secretary.
A committee was appointed to draft a plan upon which the Association should be organized. This committee reported as follows: "1. We recommend that the name shall be known as Pulaski County Association of Missionary Baptists. 2. We commend the endorsement of the Philadelphia Confession of Faith, as ... the constitution of the South Kentucky Association ... 3. We recommend that we meet to organize the Association Tuesday, October 11, 1904."
At the appointed place and time the Association was duly constituted of the following churches: Bethlehem, Burnside, Cumberland, Cooper's Delight, Drippling Springs, Eden, Fishing Creek, Green Grove, Good Hope, Hopeful, Mt. Pisgah, Mt. Union, New Bethel, New Enterprise, Okalona, Oak Hill, Pleasant View, Providence, Pine Grove No. 1, Pine Grove No. 2, Rock Lick, Somerset, Union Grove and White Oak. After the organization, George E. Baker, pastor at Burnside preached the introductory sermon. C. S. Porter, a layman, a member of the church at Somerset, was elected Moderator, and George L. Elliott of the same church, Clerk and Treasurer.
In the session of 1916 thirty-six churches were represented numbering 4346 members. In 1945, the number of churches had increased to forty-three with 7978 members. In 1948 forty-four churches reported 9390 members. The First Baptist Church, Somerset, Rev. Preston L. Ramsey, pastor, reported 1532 members, while the Bethlehem Church, Rev. John G. Pressley, pastor, the second largest numbered 425 members.
Two well-known brethren gave the best years of their ministry to the Lord's cause in Somerset and in the Association-Brethren W. E. Hunter, and T. C. Duke. Brother Hunter became pastor of the First Baptist Church, Somerset in 1912, and continued in service twenty-seven years, until 1939, when he retired because of ill health, and after ten years as an invalid, he died at his home in Aberdeen, Mississippi, March 21, 1949, at the age of seventy-five years.
A mission was started on High Street in Somerset under the direction of Pastor Hunter, which was constituted into the High Street Baptist Church, November 25, 1915. Rev. T. C. Duke became the first pastor of this church, and continued until January 1, 1949, a period of thirty-five
years. He led the church in the erection of a commodious house of worship in 1923 at a cost of $52,650.00. All indebtedness was paid, and the house was dedicated October 3, 1943 when the sermon of dedication was preached by Rev. L. C. Ray, then Business Manager of the Western Recorder. In 1948, Brother Duke was Moderator of the Pulaksi County Association.
The Muhlenberg County Association was constituted at Nelson Creek Church, October 15, 1907, of churches located in the County, which were lettered out from several Associations as follows: Bethlehem, New Hope, South Carrollton, Central City, and Greenville, dismissed from Daviess County Association at its annual meeting, August 7, 1907; Belleview, Carter Creek, Drakesboro, Dunmor, Ebenezer, Forest Grove, Hazel Creek, Macedonia, Mt. Carmel, New Hebron, Nelson Creek, Penrod, and Paradise, dismissed from Gasper River Association, August 21, 1907; Bethel, Unity, Friendship, Oak Grove, East Union, Mt. Pisgah, Pleasant Hill, New Prospect, Cave Spring, Cedar Grove, Vernal Grove and Cherry Hill, dismissed from Little Bethel Association, October 7, 1907.
A preliminary meeting was held at the Hazel Creek Baptist Church, October 25, 1906, composed of representatives from thirty-four churches located in Muhlenberg County, including the church at Greenville. At this meeting the following resolution was adopted: “Resolved, That it is the sense of this meeting that we organize a Muhlenberg County Association for the purpose of further advancing the cause of missions and church extension in our county to take permanent form in the Autumn of 1907, when we have gotten our letters from our respective Associations; and we recommend that the churches co-operate with their respective Associations this year.' Accordingly the Muhlenberg County Association was permanently organized on October 15, 1907 with messengers from thirty churches. Elder C. E. Eades was elected Moderator. He declared the body duly organized and ready for business. Elder N. F. Jones was elected Clerk. He also preached the introductory sermon. The various committees, which had been appointed, reported on the various phases of denominational interests.
The session of 1908 was held with the Oak Grove Church, and Elder C. E. Eades was again elected Moderator. W. P. Harvey of the Western Recorder, read the Scriptures, and W. D. Powell, Corresponding Secretary of State Missions led in prayer. In the session of 1909 each church in the As- sociation was asked to “designate a specific amount that it will pay to missions the year following the Association.” Pledges made by the messengers at the Association should be approved "at the next regular church meeting after the adjournment of the Association.” To this session were reported 319 baptisms during the past year. In this session of 1910, Elder W. J. Mahoney at Greenville was Moderator and E. S. Wood, Clerk. During the year an Associational Journal had been established, known as Word and Work, Elder William J. Mahoney, editor. The Executive Board was authorized “to take such steps as are necessary to finance the paper," so as to leave its columns free from advertising. The first Moderator of the
Muhlenberg Association, Elder Charles E. Eades died February 25, 1910. He was one of the charter members of the Greenville Baptist Church.
The report was made before the session of 1913 “that Central City was the only place in the County where liquor was sold, and they have seven licensed saloons.” During the year 1914 a church to church campaign for Foreign Missions led by the Associational Enlistment worker, assisted by Rev. D. H. LeSeur, missionary from Mexico, was conducted and resulted in the churches contributing $1,431.95, the largest amount ever contributed to foreign missions.
Thirty-eight churches were represented in the session of 1917, which reported 195 baptisms and a total of 5195 members. Two churches sup- ported full time preaching - Greenville and Central City. In 1924, a resolution was adopted "That it is the sense of this body that the churches of this Association have the right and privilege of receiving excluded members into their fellowship on statement without in any way disturbing the fellowship of the body." In 1927, forty churches were represented and reported 290 baptisms, and a total of 6208 members. The Association developed into a strong missionary force during the next twenty years.
In 1948 there were forty-three co-operating churches, which reported 467 baptisms, a total of 8981 members, and the sum of $34,355.00 contributed to missions and benevolences. The First Baptist Church, Greenville, was the largest, reporting 1013 members, and Rev. Roy M. Gabbert, pastor. He was also Moderator of the Association. The church at Central City was the second largest with 945 members, and Rev. Ray Dean, pastor. Hazel Creek is the oldest church, constituted in 1797, Rev. Fred Fox, pastor.
The McCreary County Association was organized in the latter part of the year 1913, but the exact time, and place cannot be determined for lack of early minutes. The session of 1921 was composed of six churches: Bethany, no report; Buncombe, 24 members; Dripping Springs, 74; Green Grove, 119; Little Indian Creek, 24; Mt. Union, 161; Pleasant Rock, 43; Pleasant View, 63; a total of 508 members. G. W. New was Moderator, and James T. Dobbs was Clerk.
This Association was constituted under the name of “McCreary County Association of United Baptists,” but in the session of 1916 the term "united” was dropped by motion. Five years later "missionary” was added, and the body became known as “McCreary County Missionary Baptist Association." G. W. New was the first Moderator and served twenty-one years. The number of churches had increased to thirteen with 894 members in 1929. Rev. Russell Walker was Moderator, and James T. Dobbs was continued Clerk.
The Association met with the Walker's Chapel Church, September, 1943. After fourteen years, the number of co-operating churches remained at thirteen, but the membership had increased from 894 to 1,844, and 1,302 pupils were enrolled in the Sunday schools. Stearns was the largest church in the Association, which reported 649 members, and Rev. Clarence A. Wingo, its pastor, was Moderator of the association.
The session of 1948 was held with Mt. Union Church, September 14-15. Rev. W. J. Johnson was elected Moderator, and Rev. W. W. Miller was continued Clerk. In five years the number of churches increased to eighteen with 2,674 members, and 2,092 pupils were enrolled in the Sunday schools. The church property was valued at $60,208, the sum of $37,359 was contributed for local church expenses, including pastors' salaries; and a total of $5,619.00 for missions and benevolences.10
Henry County Baptist Association had a preliminary meeting at the Baptist church at New Castle, November 2, 1914. After some consultation among the Baptists of Henry County, messengers from the following churches met at New Castle for the purpose of organizing the Henry County Baptist Association: Bethlehem, Campbellsburg, Franklinton, Lockport, Pleasureville, Port Royal, Smithfield, Sulphur, Eminence, Hopewell, Union, and Turner's Station. Rev. W. H. Jones was elected temporary Moderator, Rev. J. E. Johnston, temporary Clerk. The body discussed the question of constituting the Association. The messengers from Campbellsburg Church voted against coming into the new organization, the matter to be considered more fully. The churches which failed to send messengers were expected to come in later. The following eleven churches went into the new Association at Drennon's Ridge, Franklinton, Ky., October 13, 1915: Bethlehem, Eminence, Franklinton, Hopewell, Lockport, New Castle, Pleasureville, Port Royal, Smithfield, Turner's Station, and Union. These churches reported 1902 members. The constitution, Articles of Faith, and Rules of Decorum were adopted, after which permanent officers were elected, Dr. J. W. Juett, Moderator and J. E. Johnston, Clerk. The introductory sermon was preached by Rev. H. S. Summers. The organization was declared complete and to be known at Henry County Baptist Association. The Association met on September 13, 1916 with the Bethlehem church. The introductory sermon was preached by Rev. R. Q. Leavell. W. H. Jones was elected Moderator, and J. E. Johnston, Clerk, who served until 1925. In the session of 1919 twelve churches were represented with total of 2283 members. The church at Eminence reported 352 members, and Rev. H. B. Cross, pastor; the church at Campellsburg, 349 members and Rev. C. O. Johnson, pastor. The Henry County Association accepted a quota of $110,000.00 on the Seventy-Five Million Campaign, of which amount, $105,353.95 was reported subscribed. The session of 1941 was held with the Franklinton church August 12-13. Fourteen co-operating churches reported 95 baptisms, a total of 2,878 members, and 1,609 pupils enrolled in the Sunday schools. W. J. Self was Moderator and Joseph Scott, Clerk. Five of the churches reported full time preaching, and the remaining nine supported half-time. In 1948, the Association met with the Port Royal Church, Rev. L. H. Brazel, pastor. The fourteen co-operating churches reported a total of 2901 members, and 1687 enrolled in the Sunday schools. The church at Eminence numbered 381 members, and Rev. J. T. Burdine, pastor, who was also Moderator of the Henry County Association. The church at Campbellsburg was the second largest
with 341 members and Rev. Forrest Lanier, pastor. The Association adjourned to meet with the church at Smithfield, 1949.11
The Russell County Association was constituted at the Fairview church, April 16, 1916 of churches from the union of South Cumberland River and Second North Concord Associations into one body. The South Cumberland River Association was formed in 1841 of churches located in Wayne, Russell and Pulaski Counties, aggregating 454 members. The Second North Concord Association was constituted at the Salem Baptist Church in Russell County, November 10, 1876 of nine churches dismissed from the South Concord Association, most of which were located in Russell County. The Association first took the name of North Concord but in 1883, prefixed the term "Second" to distinguish it from the original Concord Association then in existence.
At the regular meeting of the South Cumberland River Association with the Scott's Chapel Baptist Church, September 8-9, 1915, a committee was appointed to prepare a corresponding letter to be sent to the Second North Concord Association to meet later, relative to uniting the two Associations. The committee presented a set of resolutions to the Associations, which were adopted, and Brethren Logan Dunbar and Robert Ingram were appointed to bear said resolution to the Second North Concord Association to be in session with the Square Oak Church later in September, and to sit in conference concerning the union. The Association adopted the term of union submitted and the Moderator appointed a committee to meet with the Committee appointed by the South Cumberland River body to work out the terms of union. As a result, messengers and members from the two Associations met on April 16, at Fairview Baptist Church, and perfected an Association to be known as Russell County Association of Missionary Baptists. Twenty-two churches went into the organization.
The first annual session was held with the church at Mt. Vernon, September 6-7, 1916. The meeting was called to order by Rev. J. R. Grider, temporary Moderator. After singing, Rev. Z. P. Hamilton led in prayer, and Rev. J. S. Wade preached the introductory sermon from Acts 2:42, Theme, "Why I am a Baptist.” The letters were read from the following churches and their messengers enrolled: Friendship, 209 members; Providence, 155; Fairview, 115; Russell Springs, 80; Clear Fork, 43; Clear Spring, 55; Free Union, 77; Mt. Vernon, 38; Cumberland Ridge, 63; Popular Grove, 66; New Pleasant Point, 46; Scott's Chapel, 44; Second Union, 55; Pleasant Hill, 36; Union, no report; New Hope, 72; Pleasant View, 28; Liberty, 59; Sano, 13; Freedom, no report; Freedom Second, no report; Square Oak, 11; Welfare, received at the present session, 114; Clear Spring, 55; Pleasant Point, 69; Union Chapel, no report; a total of 1,148 members.
Brother D. C. Hopper was elected Moderator; Rev. J. S. Wade, Assistant Moderator; O. D. Cunningham, Clerk, and W. T. Mitchell, Assistant Clerk. Elders Z. P. Hamilton. A. R. Abernathy, L. C. Kelly, and O. P. Bush were seated as corresponding messengers from Russell Creek Association.
In the session of 1925, after an interval of nine years, the Russell County Association had decreased to fifteen churches with 1067 members. This
decrease was due to the fact eight of the original churches, had ceased to exist, and only a few churches had been formed. Also the Union church had become affiliated with the Second Concord Association of United Baptists composed of few churches, which refused to go into the organization of the Russell County body. At this session of 1925, Brother H. C. Hopper closed ten years of service as Moderator, and was succeeded by Rev. J. S. Wade, the following year. In 1936, the number of churches had increased to twenty-two, reporting 1663 members and 1737 pupils enrolled in the Sunday schools. The church at Russell Springs had attained a membership of 247, the largest in the Association. T. D. Flanagan was Moderator and A. Smith, Clerk.
The session of 1948 was held with the Clear Spring Church, September 8-9. Twenty-one churches were represented, numbering 2056 members. Seven of these churches supported half time preaching, and the rest, once a month. Russell Springs reported 298 members and Rev. S. B. Rowe, pastor, who was also Moderator of the Association, and A. Smith, Jr., Clerk. The Friendship Church numbered 214 members, and Rev. W. R. Bradshaw, pastor. The church at Jamestown, the county seat of Russell County, numbered 99 members, and one-fourth time preaching. Rev. John Carter was pastor.”
The following resolution offered by Rev. J. E. Baird, was presented in the Concord Association of August 13 and 14, 1924, and was discussed and adopted:
1. “That Concord Association disband with the close of this session, provided that Owen Association shall take like action.
2. “That this Association appoint messengers to meet with like messengers from Owen Association, and messengers from churches in this county that belong to Ten Mile Association, should they so desire to form a new Association to be known as 'Owen County Baptist Association.'
3. “That said messengers from both Associations shall meet in Owenton at the Baptist Church on the fourth Monday in September, at 1 P.M., and form the above named new Association, and fix time and place for the next annual meeting. Also elect a Moderator pro tem, to serve until the first regular annual meeting of the new body. Also to appoint a preacher for annual sermon and brethren to report on the various interests fostered by us."
Representatives of various churches of Owen County convened with the First Baptist Church of Owenton, September 21, 1924, for the purpose of organizing an Associational body. The meeting was called to order by Rev. J. S. Ransdell, State Field Worker of the State Baptist Board of Missions, who was appointed to preside, while T. M. Browning was elected acting Clerk. The ordained ministers present were Jesse Farris, W. W. Oliver, C. N. Royal, E. R. Sams, J. S. Ransdell, T. M. Browning, J. E. Baird, A. A. Parsons, Birchett Kemper, I. E. Enlow, C. E. Brown, and O. P. Jackson. Ezra Martin was a licensed minister.
Rev. J. E. Baird, then offered a motion that “We, the representatives of the churches of Owen County, do now declare ourselves a constituted body."
A nominating committee of five was appointed. They reported the following nominations: Brother F. H. Karsner, Moderator; Tildon Rose, assistant Moderator; G. T. Forsee, Clerk; and B. F. Holbrook, Treasurer. These nominations were approved by vote. Twenty-eight churches were represented by messenger in the 1925 meeting, which reported a total of 5092 members. The church at Owenton, the county seat of Owen County, reported the largest membership, numbering 416 members, Rev. J. E. Baird, pastor. The Long Ridge Church, Rev. R. E. Alley, pastor, was the second largest, reporting 303 members.
The session of 1926 was held with the Long Ridge Church August 11-12. S. T. Ball was Moderator and G. T. Forsee, Clerk. Thirty churches were represented, which reported 159 baptisms, a total 5017 members and the sum of $24,790.62, contributed for all purposes. The session of 1936 was held with the Greenup Fork Church, composed of messengers from twenty-eight churches with 5327 members and 2585 pupils in the Sunday schools. The following churches report full time preaching: Dallasburg, L. O. Griffith, pastor, 248 members; New Liberty, J. F. Estep, pastor, 253; Old Cedar, no pastor, 237; Owenton, J. E. Baird, pastor, 407; Richland, E. E. Sexton, pastor, 394.
The session of 1948 was held with the Long Ridge Church, H. L. Malone, pastor. I. L. Arnold was Moderator, and H. W. Hearn, Clerk. Twenty-seven churches were represented in this session, reporting a total of 5498 members, and 2797 persons enrolled in the Sunday schools. The church at Owenton reported 538 members, and Rev. Harry L. Green, pastor. The second largest church was Long Ridge, Rev. H. L. Malone, pastor, with 433 members. New Liberty Church, Rev. C. E. Butler, pastor, is the oldest church in the Association constituted in 1801.13
George Threlkeld Forsee was elected clerk of the Concord Association in 1913 and was re-elected each year clerk of the Concord and Owen County Associations until his death, May 15, 1948 - a period of 37 years.
The Christian County Baptist Association was constituted in the First Baptist Church, Hopkinsville, October 9, 1923 of churches dismissed from the Bethel Association in annual session in Elkton, Todd County. Letters of withdrawal were granted to the following churches on September 25, 1923 for the purpose of forming an Association of the same faith and order: Bethel, 166 members; Caskey, 125; Concord, 71; Crofton, 233, Second Church, Hopkinsville, 294; Hights Grove, no report; LaFayette, 63; Locust Grove, 71; Macedonia, 170; Mack's Grove, 45; Mt. Zoar, 77; New Barren Springs, 93; First Church, Hopkinsville, 1108; New Ebenezer, 154; Olivet, 222; Palestine, 89; Pembroke, 290; Pleasant Hill, 210; Salem, 102; Sinking Fork, 130; South Union, 115; West Union, 150; West Grove, 19; West Mt. Zoar, 85, total membership 3777. The vote was unanimous in the Bethel Association that the division become effective, at once. The messengers from the above named 24 churches met in Hopkinsville the following day and organized themselves into the Christian County Baptist Association.
The first annual session of the new Association was held with the LaFayette Church, October 2-3, 1924, Rev. J. F. Fuqua, pastor. Hon. C. M.
Meacham, was elected Moderator; Rev. E. O. Cottrell, Clerk; and Rev. E. W. Coakley preached the introductory sermon. Twenty-five churches were represented, numbering 4302 members. The following three churches were received from the Little Rivers Association: Bainbridge, 86 members; Gracey, 158; and Little River, 110.
The ninth annual session was held with the West Union Church, Octoter 12, 1932. E. O. Cottrell was elected Moderator, L. L. Spurlin, Assistant, and Mr. Gilmer B. Pursley, Clerk. Rev. A. H. Webb, pastor at Pembroke, preached the introductory sermon. Twenty-six churches were represented, which reported 4895 members and 3494 Sunday school pupils enrolled. The Walnut Street Church, Hopkinsville, constituted the year before, E. O. Cottrell, pastor, was received into the union.
The session of 1942 was held with the Concord Church, September 22-23, Otho McCord was elected Moderator, Gilmer B. Pursley, Clerk, and Rev. W. W. Johnson, pastor at Fairview, preached the introductory sermon. The co-operating churches numbered twenty-six, and the total membership had increased to 5671. Four churches reported full time preaching as follows: First, Hopkinsville, 1522 members, Dr. P. C. Walker, pastor; Second, Hopkinsville, 742 members, Rev. L. E. Martin, pastor; Olivet, 169 member, Rev. James E. Gary, pastor; Pembroke, 268 members, Rev. D. F. Greenwell, pastor.
The Christian County Baptist Association met with the church at LaFayette in the twenty-fifth annual session, September 28-29, 1948. Rev. J. H. Maddox, pastor, Second Baptist Church, Hopkinsville, was elected Moderator, Rev. Olen Sisk pastor of Trinity Church, same city, Assistant Moderator, and Gilmer B. Pursley, Clerk. The annual sermon was preached by Rev. James E. Gary, pastor in the Association. Twenty-seven churches were represented, numbering 6634 members, The First Church, Hopkinsville, reported 1542 members, and Dr. W. Peyton Thurman, pastor, while the Second Church, Hopkinsville, constituted April 1910, the second largest, reported 1145 members."
The Caldwell County Association was constituted at an organization of Baptist Churches in Caldwell County, Kentucky on September 24, 1924, held with the Princeton Baptist Church. This organization was preceded by a communication, dated June 11, 1924, sent out by Elders 0. M. Shultz, C. R. Barnes and Rodolph Lane, given in part as follows: “As now constituted the Little River Association covers a large territory and many of the churches are difficult to reach and bring into effective co-operation in our organized work. Many of these difficulties would be obviated in an Association composed of fewer churches, and covering a smaller territory. As a self appointed committee, we are addressing letters to such churches as think might be interested in the formation of a new Association, asking that such churches take action in the matter prior to the meeting of the Little River Association. If that action is favorable to entering the new Association, we would suggest that the messengers to the Association be authorized to meet with messengers from other churches that may desire to enter the organization; and that these churches hold a short meeting during the session
of the Little River Association to fix time and place of meeting to perfect the organization . . . Princeton Church voted last year to enter the new organization. We hope your church will take action on the matter at once and kindly notify the committee of your decision. Send all correspondence to O. M. Shultz, Princeton, Kentucky."
In response to this communication, the following churches met by messengers or by letter with the Princeton Baptist Church on September 24, 1924, for the purpose of forming a new Association: Walnut Grove, Princeton, Harmony, Beulah Hill, Eddy Creek, Chapel Hill, Pleasant Grove, White Sulphur, Otter Pond, Donaldson, Fredonia, Lebanon, Mt. Pisgah, Creswell, Crider, Liberty, and Shady Grove. O. M. Shultz was elected temporary chairman, and L. J. Knoth, Secretary. The body then voted to form itself into an organization under the name of the “Caldwell County Association of Baptist Churches."
The first annual session of the new Association met with White Suphur Baptist Church, Caldwell County, August 23, 1925, at 10 A.M. The devotional service was conducted by Professor O. W. Yates, Bethel College, Russellville, Kentucky. The annual sermon was preached by Rev. Rodolph Lane. The following officers were elected for the ensuing year: Rev. O. M. Shultz, Moderator, Brethren L. J. Knoth, and H. A. Egbert, Assistant Moderators; L. B. Sims, Clerk, and C. M. Wood, Treasurer. A letter from the Littler River Association was read by the Moderator, stating that letters had been granted to the following churches: Hebron, New Bethel, Pleasant Hill, Liberty, Kuttawa, Eddyville, and Mt. Zion, which were received into the Association. The Princeton Church, O. M. Shultz, pastor, reported 602 members and 864 enrolled in Sunday school, which was the largest church in the Association. Harmony Church was the second largest, reporting 252 members, and Professor O. W. Yates, pastor; while Donaldson, the third largest, had 237 members.
The Association met in the sixth annual session with the Beulah Hill Baptist Church, September 24, 1930, Rev. A. F. Hanberry, pastor. 0. W. Yates, President of Bethel College, Russellville, Kentucky, led in the opening worship. Rev. O. M. Shultz was elected Moderator for the seventh and last time, as he left the Association the following year to become pastor of the Broadway Baptist Church, Hazard, and teacher of Bible in Hazard Institute. Brother L. B. Sims was elected Clerk, the sixth time, and was succeeded at the next session by Brother A. L. Vaughn. The Second Baptist Church, Princeton, Rev. Olen Sisk, pastor, was received into the Association. The annual sermon was preached by Rev. Arthur Holland, pastor at Eddyville.
The session of 1932, held with the First Baptist Church, Princeton, September 21, 22, Rev. L. J. Knoth was elected Moderator, Rev. D. E. Montgomery, pastor of the host church, and Rev. Olen Sisk, Assistant Moderators. Brother A. L. Vaughn was elected Clerk, Brother L. B. Sims, Assistant, and Dr. J. Power Wolfe, Treasurer. The twenty-eight co-operating churches reported 234 baptisms, and a total of 4597 members.
The session of 1942 was held with the Creswell Church. Twenty-nine churches were represented, which reported a total of 5611 members. J. G. Cothran was pastor of the First Baptist Church, with 1256 members. Z. Cannon was elected Moderator, R. G. McClelland, Clerk, Dr. J. Power Wolfe,
Treasurer for the eleventh time, and O. M. Shultz preached the annual sermon.
In the session of 1948 held with the White Sulphur Church, the twenty-nine churches reported a total of 6054 members and 3104 pupils enrolled in the Sunday schools. The First Church, Princeton, reported 1335 members, including 360 non-resident members and Rev. H. G. M. Hatler, pastor, who was also Moderator of the Association.16
The Jackson County Association was formed at Grayhawk, September 18, 1925. Rev. Rice Isaacs was elected organizing Moderator, and Brother R. M. Ward, organizing Clerk. Letters of application were called for from representatives of the churches present. Letters were presented from the following churches: Maulden, Pilgrims Rest, Pleasant Point, Indian Creek, Mt. Zion, Grayhawk, Sand Gap, Kerby Knob, Egypt, Mt. Gilead, Liberty, Birchlick, and Blackwater.
Letters from these churches were read by the Clerk and approved by the entire body of messengers, by adopting the following: "We the messengers from the aforegoing churches do resolve by solemn vote to consider the churches we represent a District Association of Missionary Baptists." The records state that the vote was unanimously “Aye." The new organization was designated, "The Jackson County Association of Missionary Baptists." The Confession of Faith framed by Dr. J. Newton Brown many years ago, and approved by J. M. Pendleton in his Church Manual, was adopted. A Constitution and Rules of Decorum were also adopted.
The new Association met in its first annual session immediately after it was constituted. Rev. William Lynch, a pastor, was elected Moderator, and Mr. R. M. Ward, Clerk. The introductory sermon was preached by Rev. Calvin Middleton. The thirteen churches entering into the new organization reported a total of 1,002 members, $17.20 collected for missions, and $127.73 paid on pastors' salaries. The session of 1932 was composed of nineteen co-operating churches with 1209 members. Rev. Frank Wilson was Moderator, and C. B. Deaton, Clerk. New Prospect and Royal Oak Churches took membership with the Association at this session. Only four churches reported a membership over one hundred. The sum of $140.34 was reported paid on pastoral support.
In 1942, the nineteen co-operating churches reported 1877 members, 651 pupils enrolled in the Sunday schools, and $574.14 paid for pastoral support. Rev. Frank Wilson was continued Moderator and Ray Dean, Clerk. During the next six years marked progress was made in the association.
The session of 1948 was held with the Blackwater Church on September 17-18, Rev. Chester. Whicker, pastor. The twenty-nine churches represented, reported 221 baptisms, a total of 2,793 members, $453.00 contributed to mission causes, $2870 on pastoral support, and $5,254.00 for all local current expenses. The Liberty Church reported 267 members and Rev. Roscoe Hunter, pastor; and Drip Rock, the second largest church, Rev. Wilson Chaney, pastor, numbered 240 members. The church at McKee, the county seat of Jackson County, constituted in 1940, Rev. W. E. Sears, pastor, reported 74 members, and the only church in the Association with full time preaching. Rev. Roscoe Hunter was Moderator of the session of 1948, and C. N. Shepherd, Clerk."
[From A History of Baptists in Kentucky, 1953, pp. 487-504. Scanned and formatted by Jim Duvall.]
More Kentucky Baptist Histories
Baptist History Homepage