Baptist History Homepage

      [ ] are supplied by the editor of BHH.
      A copy of the diary was found in an old notebook kept by William O. Whilden. Dr. H. A. Tupper made use of the diary when he edited "Two centuries of the First Baptist Church of South Carolina" in 1889, but the original is lost. This mimeographed edition was made by Loulie Latimer Owens. With items in relation to the Screvens.

From Oliver Hart Diary

p. 1

      The following pages contain a diary kept by Oliver Hart. Mr. Hart was born in Warminster, Pa., July 5, l723. He was ordained in 1749 and became pastor of the Baptist Church in Charlestown the same year. This pastorate continued until 1780.

      Rhode Island College (now Brown University), at its first commencement in 1769 conferred on Mr. Hart an M. A. degree. He was well acquainted with Whitefield and Tennant. He was chiefly instrumental in establishing the Charlestown Association. In 1780 he became pastor at Hopewell, N. J. and died there December 31, 1795. (Facts taken from The Baptist Encyclopedia by William Cathcart.)

      Oliver Hart was the most influentlal indivldual and the strongest preacher among South Carolina Baptists during the l8th Century (with the exception of Dr. Richard Furman, whose most important ministry did not begln until after Hart left the state.)

      A copy of this diary was found recently in an old notebook kept by Willianr O. Whilden. It is not known where he obtained it. Dr. H. A. Tupper made use of the diary when he edited "Two Centurles of the First Baptist Church of South Carolina" in 1889, but the whereabouts of the original have not been known for many years.

      The value of this diary will be obvlous even to a casual reader. In an effort to keep it from being lost, this mimeographed edition has been prepared for preservation in a number of libraries and Baptist historical collections.

Loulie Latiner Owens


p. 2
A COPY OF ORIGINAL DIARY OF REV. OLIVER HART OF CHARLESTOWN, PASTOR OF THE BAPTIST CHURCH OF CHARLESTOWN - A memorandum containing some of the most remarkable concurrencies on providence relative to or noticed by an unworthy traveler towards the New Jerusalem, who desires ever to esteen himself a stranger and sojourner in this dreary wilderness. By OLIVER HART, A. M., pastor of the Baptist Church in Charlestown, South Carolina. 'By Faith he sojourned in the Land as in a strange country' - Hebrews 11-9
     Oliver Hart, the seventh child of John and Eleanor Hart was born July ye 5th 1723 in Warminister Township, Bucks County and province of Pennsylvania.

      I was baptized on the third day of April 1741 by ye Rev. Mr. Jenkins Jones, at, Southanrpton, and received as a menber of the Church being 17 years and 9 months old.

      I was called by the church to the exercip [exercise?] of my gift, December ye 20th, l746, being 23 yrs. and 5 months old.

      I was married to Sarah Brees February ye 25th 1747/8 by the Rev. Mr. Peter Peterson Vanhorn of Penepack.

      Seth Hart, my first child was born on Friday ye 18th of November 1748 about 8 o'clock in the morning.

      I was ordained to the great work of the ministry October ye 18th, 1749 by the Rev. Mr. Benjamin Miller and Joshua Potts, at Southampton in Bucks County, Pennsylvania.

      I embarked at Philadelphia on board the ship St. Andrew. James Abercrombie commander, for Charles Town, South Carolina, on ye 13th day of November 1749 and arrived at Charles Town the 2nd day of December following, out 19 days.

      Eleanor Hart, my second child, was born on Tuesday May ye 22nd l750 about 3 o'clock in the afternoon.

      I was called to and accepted of the pastoral charge of the Baptist Church on Charles Town Feb. ye 16th 1750.

      The Rev. John Stephens arrived at Charles Town from Philadelphia on May ye 12th, 1750.

      Mrs. Hart and our two children, Seth and Eleanor, arrived at Charles Town from Philadelphia, July ye 26th 1750. They enbarked June ye 28th, out 28 days.


p. 3
      Our son, Seth, died October ye 22nd 1750, aged one year, eleven months and four days.

      On Saturday January ye 11th 1752, Mr. Stephens and I ordained Mr. Thomas Harrison to the office of Deacon and Monday Jan. 13th we ordained Mr. Francis Pelot, minister. Mr. Benjamin Parmenter ruling elder and Archibald Harting Deacon all in ye Church at Euhaw.

      On Saturday February ye 8th 1752 Mr. Stephens and I ordained Mr. Willian Screven, Sr. to ye office of Deacon in Charles Town.

      The great and terrible hurricane happened in Carolina September ye 14th 1752, the day on which the new state (?) took place. My house was washed down and all I had almost totally destroyed.

      Hannah Hart, our third child, was born on Wednesday December ye 6th 1750 about 3 o'clock afternoon.

      On Thursday April ye 5th 1750 I went to see a most deplorable object of a child born the night before of one Mary Evans in Charles Town. It was surprising to all who beheld it, and I scarcely know how to describe it. The skin of its face was dry and hard and seemed to be cracked in many places, somewhat resembling the scales of a fish. The mouth was round and 1arge, and wide open. It had no external nose, but two holes where the nose should have been. The eyes appeared to be lumps of coagulated blood turned out about the bigness of a small p1umb, ghastly to behold. It had no external ears, but holes where the ears should be. The hands and feet appeared to be swollen, were crumpled up and felt quite hard. The back part of its head was much open. It made a strange kind of a noise, very low which f cannot describe. It lived about eight and forty hours, and was alive when I saw it.

      My daughter Hannah died Sept. 2nd 1753, aged 9 months.

      Oliver Hart our fourth child was born on Thursday November ye 7th, 1754 about 5 o'clock A. M.

      I came to the Parsonage House December ye 24th 1755.

      David Wil1iams came to live with me January l4th, 1756.

      Revival of Religion. The remarkable revival in our church began in August l754.

      0n Saturday morning Jan. ye 19th 1756 enrbarked on board the Capt. Barnes commander, for Philadelphia. Had a good passage and arived there the Saturday following. Returned from Philadelphia by land Thursday Nov. 4, 1756.

      Lord's Day morning July 17th 1757 I preached to Col. Boquet's regiment of soldiers in Nightengales Pasture.

      John Hart our fifth chlld was born on Monday March ye 6th 1758 about 5 o'clock P. M. The great meeting was held at Welch Tract at this time.

      March ye 19th 1758 - Nicholas Bridgegood and Sanuel Stillman were called by the church to the work of the ministry.

      0n Monday Feb. ye 26th 1759 assisted Rev. Mr. Francis Pelot and John Stevens in the ordination of Nicholas Bridgegood and Samuel Stillman to the work of the ministry.

p. 4

      Samuel Stillman sailed for Philadelphia March ye 21st 1759.

      Joseph Hart our sixth chlld was born on Wednesday Novenber ye 12th 1760 about 5 o'clock P. M.

      On Monday 4th of May 1761 about half an hour past two P. M. an hour and a half after new moon and very near the time of 1ow water a most violent whirlwind of that kind commonly known under the title of typhoons passed down Ashley River and fell upon the shipping in Rebellion Road with such fury and violence as to threaten destruction to the whole fleet. In the ship news below is an account of the damage done by it. This terrible phenomonem was first seen by many of ye inhabitants of Charles Town coming down Wappoo Creek resembling a large column of smoke and vapour, whose motion was very irregular and tumiltous as well as that of the neighboring clouds which appeared to be driven down in nearly the same direction (from SW) and with great swiftness; the quantity of vapour which composed this impetuous column and its prodigious velocity gave it such a surprising momentum as to plow Ashley River to the bottom and lay the channel bare, of which many people were eye witnesses. This occasioned so great and sudden a flux and reflux as to float many canoes, both pilliangers and even schooners and sloops which were then lying dry and at a distance from the tide. When it was coming down Ashley River it made so great a noise as to be heard by most of the people in town, which was taken by some for a constant thunder. Its diameter at that time has generally been judged to be about 300 fathoms, and its height to a person in Broad Street 35 degrees tho' it increased as it went towards the road. And when it came down towards White Point tho' it was then nearly in the middle of Ashley River it impelled such a vast body of water out of its place as to make the tide run for an instant several feet perpendicular on all the dock along the bay and even up Cooper River.

      Above Mr. Gardsden (?) about this time it was not by another gust which came down Cooper River then was not of equal strength or impetuosity with the other, but upon their meeting together the tumult and whirling agitations of the air were seemingly much greater, insomuch that the froth and vapour seemed to be thrown up to the apparent height, of 35 or 40 degrees toward the middle, while the clouds that were driving in all directions to this place seemed to be precipitated and whirled round at the same time with incredible velocity; just after this it fell on the shipping in the Road, was scarce three minutes in its passage, five vessels were sunk outright and his Majesty's ship Dolphin with many others lost their masts. All of the great danage to the shipping which is only reckoned at twenty thousands pounds starting was done almost instantaneously and some of those that were sunk were buried in the water so suddenly as scarce to give sufficient tlme to those who were below to get up on deck. Whether was this done by the innmense weight of this column pressing them instantaneously into the deep or was it done by the waters being forced suddenly from under them, and thusly letting them sink so low as to be immediately covered and engulphed by the lateral mass of water.

      The strong gust from the northward which checked the progress of the pillar of destruction in its way from Wappoo Creek seems to have been sent by Providence for the preservation of Charles Town which had it kept its then direction must have been driven before it like chaff. Another memorable instance of Divine favour is the small number lost of those that were on board the vessels on the road of which we cannot learn these were more than four boys (?). Mr. Nathaniel Polhi1l of Georgia a passenger on the Polley and Betsey, Capt. Min and Robert Ray Esq. Mims, nephew, a sailor from on board the Elizabeth, Capt. Mallard and a boy belonging to the Success Capt. Clarke.

      From the shortness of the time we cannot give a particular account of the rise and progress of the tremendous column about noon. It was seen near Spoon Savannah upwards of thirty miles W by S from Charles Town. It destroyed

p. 5
Mr. Ger. Sammonrs Home on his Plantation at Stone and on James lsland carried away a large new two-story house with two stacks of brick chimnies belonging to the Estate of the late Mr. Hutson and all the negro houses and other buildings on the plantation. Mr. William Glent's buildings ete. were saved in the same manner, and it carried off the roof of Mr. Henderson's house and all the outhouses, both white people and negroes were killed or hurt, nor did the cattle escape. Numbers cf them were found dead 1n the fields. In several parts of its corurse it left an avenue of a great width from which every tree and shrub was torn up. Great quantities of leaves, branches and large limbs of trees were seen furiously driven about and agitated in the body of the column as it passed along. The sky was overcast and cloudy all the forenoon of Monday and about one o'clock it began to thunder and continued more or less till after three. As soon as the damage done in the road was perceived the Governor sent orders to the Commissary to provide and get down as many boats and hands as possible. Every one seemed to vie with each other who should give the first and most effective assistance. The fleet as it was the largest and finest was likewise thought to be the richest that ever was cleared out from Charles Town. By 4 o'clock the wind was quite fallen, the sun shone out and the sky was clear and serene. We could scarce believe that such a dreadful scene had been so recently exhibited; were not the sinking and dismasted vessels so many sinking and melancholy proofs of its reality? A storm of this kind has seldom or ever been known in Charles Town but the bestaage of such are to be seen in the woods in more placws than one, both in this and the neighboring provinces.

      Sunk [Sunday?] 5 May - snow. Polly and Betsy William Mun for London Ship David James Lake, Portsmouth - snow - Success Thomas Clarke Cowes Britania Thomas Wilson Bristol and Sloop Patty arrived this day from Providence.

      His Majesty's ship Dolphin Capt. Marlone and the convoy ship Thomas and Sarah John Jackson for Cowes.

      Elizabeth John Mallard Cowes Ship Taylor Peter Crombie for Cowes.


Queen of Portugal John Simpson for Cowres Snow John George
Evans London Top Masts 2 Snow Engleton Archibald Robertson
Brito1 TWo friends Alexander Young Orkney Lost Mast 2
Shiip Manchester James Chambers London Thornton Richard Gilchrist
London Lost Foremast 1 Ship Heron Patrick Cran Portsmouth Lost 
Mast 1 Ship Henrietta John Raines London Sunk 5   

Dismaster 12 12

Safe or Receivd little hurt 25

Total on Rebellion Road 42 vessels

[The previous portion is not well recorded - Queen to vessels.]

      My son Joseph died Nov. 2nd 1761, aged about 12 Months.

      Mary Baker, our seventh child, was born on Monday Sept. ye 6, 1762 about 5 o'clock P.M.

      Hannah Brees (my wife's mother) died July 5th 1763.

      Mr. Pugh sailed for Philadelphia July 7 1763.

      On Wednesday Novenber ye 8th 1769 I set off for Virginia in order to pay a visit to my son Silas Hart. Mr. Pugh went with me. We arrived at my brothers ye 5th Decenber on the evening. On Thursdey 11th Jan. 1770, we left my brothers for home. I arrived at Charleston ye 2nd Feb. following.

      Our daughter Eleanor was married to Mr. Thomas Screven March ye 6th 1770. Their daughter was born Decembcr 4, 1770.


      March ye l7th 1771 I was robbed of about 30 Pounds currency.

      Dinah and hcr son Friday were bought April ye 9th 1771. Dinah was then supposed to be about twenty years of age. Friday was born May ye 29th 1767. The two cost 356 pounds.

      My son John was taken sick of a severe nervous fever (which continued without intermission 18 days and almost cost him his life) April ye 28th 1771. John sailed on Capt. Wrights for Philadelphia June ye 1lth 1771. John entered college at Providence, Rhode Island Oct. ye 14, 1771.

      Rev. Morgan Edwards came into Charles Town Jan. ye 23rd 1772 and left it the 11th of Feb. following.

      Rev. Mr. Tennant arrived from New York March ye 18th, 1772.

      Dinah was delivered of a daughter August ye 22nd 1772.

      Sarah our eighth child was born on Friday, October ye 16th 1772 about 5 o'clock P. M. She died on ye 19th of the same month aged 3 days.

      My dear wife, Sarah Hart, departed this life about 3 o'clock on Tuesday morning October ye 20th 1772, aged 42 years, 10 months and 13 days. When married (which was Feb. 25, 1747/8) she was 18 years, 2 months and 18 days old. We lived together 24 years, 7 months and 25 days when death separated us.

      Sarah, daughter of Thomas and Elanor Screven died June 3rd, 1772, aged 18 months.

      Martha, daughter of Thomas and Eleanor Screven, born Sept. 5, 1772.

      On Lord's Day, March ye l4th, 1773, I assisted Rev. Mr. Francis Pelot in the ordination of Mr. Edmund Botsford to the work of the ministry in Georgla.

      On Friday, April ye 2nd, I773, I began courtship with the worthy Mrs. Anne Grimbal1 (widow of the late Mr. Charles Grimball of Charles Town) which continued with some interruption and various success for twelve months and then terminated in marriage according to my wishes.

      Lord's Day November ye 28th 1773, I assisted Rev. Francis Pelot in constituting a Baptist Church at New Savannah in Georgia under the pastoral care of Rev. Edward Botsford. It was a solemn season. A large congregation attended. I preached on the occasion from Heb. 13:17. Mr. Botsford administered the Lord's Supper to his new charge, and then dismissed the Assembly. It was a day of rejoicing.

      Monday, Dec. 27, 1773, set off for the High Hills of Santee (Mr. Hamilton accompanied me) to attend a Big Meeting there, preached at Mr. Bannister's on Tuesday, and at the High Hills on Friday ye last day of the year.

      Lord's Day, January ye 2nd, 1774, at the High Hills of Santee preached forenoon from Col. 2:6. Mr. Furman preached in the evening by desire of Rev. Mr. Wm. ____ (?) and the church administered the Lord's Supper. It was a time of refreshing to the People of God.

      On Friday, April the 5th, 1774, I was married (by the Rev. Francis Pelot) to the amiable and accomplished Mrs. Anne Grimball, relict of the late Mr. Charles Grimball of Charles Town. She was the daughter of Mr. William Sealey (a man remarkable for piety) whom he had by his wife, Mrs. Sarah Sea1y,

(likewise a member of the Baptist Church with her husband) of reputable life and conversation, She was born at Euhaw Indian Land on January ye 4th 1741/1 and married to Mr. Chas. Grimball aforesaid, Sept. ye 9th 1756. I baptized her May ye 5, 1770. She then gave herself a member of the Baptist Church in Chas Town which I serve, and has ever since behaved worthy of her Profession. Mr. Grimball died. June ye lst 1770 and her in the charge of two small children, a son and a daughter. These she made the objects of her principal love, and during her state of widowhood (which was near four years) she demeaned herself with so much prudence, circumspection and integrlty as to gain the esteem and applause of all her acquaintances. In short, as a maid, a wife, and a widow, she has sustained an unsullied character, and been a pattern and ornament to her sex. These are but some of the outlines. I mean not to delineate character possessed of inward beauties, not to be touched by a much finer pencil than mine. I speak not at random or by guess, having had sufficient tryal of her virtues, it being now twelve months since I had the pleasure to call her my own, and I esteem that as one of my happiest days that put such a prize into my bosom. All this I could seal with my blood, witness my hand this 18th day of April 1775, (In a lady's handwriting the following in the margin: "I blush to read this. O, the goodness of him that wrote it.")

      Thomas, son of Thomas and Eleanor Screven was born Aug. l5th 1774.

      Lord's Day, Oct. 9 1774 at Coosawhatchie administered the sacrament to the Smarts Church. Here I met Mrs. Botsford and Lewis. We all preached in our towns. Three women were baptized. It was a rainy season. The next Sabbath I preached for Mr. Pelot and Monday I took my last farewell of my dear friend Pelot and returned home, little thinking then that I should see my friend no more.

      In November l774, my daughter Nelly Screven had a severe attack of the nervous fever. She had seven blisters applied which with the blessing of God were the means of raising her; although her life hung in dreadful suspense for a long time. May she never forget this great deliverance from Death.

      On Saturday, November ye l2, I774, died my dear friend and brother, the Rev. Francis Pelot. A greater loss the Baptist interest could not have sustained by the death of any one man in the Province. His family, his church and the neighborhood wi11 feel a sensible and irrepable [sic] loss, and as to my own part, I have lost the best friend and compelor [?] I ever was blest with in the world; the most intimate friendship had subsisted betwixt us for about four and twenty years. In all which time I ever found him a faithful friend and gratified to give advice in the most critical cases. This worthy man was born March 11th 1720 of reputable family in the town ca11ed Norvil1e, Stutgart, in Switzerland, to which town he had an ancient right of Burgership, and came over to America (with his father, mother, sister and brother) Oct, 28, 1734. They settled in _________(?) South Carolina, where his mother died in about two weeks after their arrival, and his father died May 24, l754, Hls brother set off from ______ for the Euhaw on Saturday Jan. 6th 1749/50, but being overtaken with excessive bad weather, lost his way, and (though sought for) was not heard of for many months, when his bones and horses bones with some rags of clothes and things he had with him were found, fack [back ?] of a place called the Oakatees. The loss of his only brother in such a manner must have been a great affliction to him as well as their father, sister and other friends. Mr. Pelot came into America while still young, wanting about five months of fifteen years o1d, but being a youth of bright parts and a good education. He was noticed by the family of the Sealys (people of some property, and a good religious character) who procured him as a tutor to their children. In this station he continued for some time and at length made suit to Miss Martha, thr daughtrr of Mr. John Scaly, to whom he was married by consent of all parties May ye 19th, 1741. In her he was blest with an agreeable companion, she being a pious, prudent wife. By her he had eight children, three which only

survive him. On August ye 29, 1750, Mrs. Pelot died, they having been married l9 years and 8 months. Mr. Pelot, finding it inconvenient to live a widower, made suit to Mrs. Catherine Screven, widow of Mr. William Screven, and daughter of Mr. Justinus Stoll, to whom she was married Oct. ye 6th, 1761 by the Rev. Olivcr Hart. In this second marriage Mr. Pelot was again blest with a pious prudent and suitable companion by whom he had four children (one born after his death) three of them survive him, and are the charge of his sorrowful relict. By his industry and frugality Mr. Pelot had procured a fine interest which he left free fron incumbrance between his widow and children in the most equitable manner. This valuable man seems [(?]by which I can learn from the best information) to have had religious turn from his youth and was converted while young, soon after which he embraced the Baptist principles, was baptizcd by thc Rev. Isaac Charles upon a personal profession of his Faith at Euhaw and gave himself a member of the Baptist Church there of which church he continued a worthy member to the day of his death. He had not long been a member before the church discovered that he was endowed with ministerial gifts. The Rev. Mr. Charles was also [of] the same opinion and used his influence with Mr. Pelot to accept the church invitation to make tryal of his gifts. The great dlffidence that he ever of himself and his own endowments caused him for some time to withstand all their solicitations. At length, being overcome by enteaty, he consented and performed so as to give general satisfaction and hopes of future usefulness, in public character. He was therefore licensed to preach the Gospel publickly whenever God or his providence might call him. Thus he continued as a candidate (resisting, through modesty and self diffidence many solicitations to ordination until at last, he was overcome (as he himself often acknwledged) by the arguments of one whom he ever honored with his friendship and esteem. And on Monday Jan. ye 13th 1752 he was solemnly ordained or set apart to the Ministry at Euhaw by the Rev. Mr. John Stephens snd Oliver Hart. The lattcr preached his ordination sermon from Matt. 10:16: "Behold, I send you forth as sheep in thc midst of wolves. Be ye wise as serpents and harmless as doves." Many attended the solemnity and in general they were much affected. He now took upon him the pastoral charge of the church, and in that capacity acted a faithful part, as long as he lived. To lineate a finished picture of this worthy man's character would require much nicer touches than my pencil is capable of, therefore [I] shall not attempt it. I have already observed that he was blest with good natural parts and a pretty good education, whereby a foundation was 1aid, for thc great improvencnt he made, by reading, study and conversation. He had much vivacity of temper, a great flow of spirit, which being regulated by a principle of grace rendered him a facitious and agreeable companion. His conversation was not only pleasing but profitable, as he had a fine turn of introducing religion and spiritualizing most occasions in life. The French was his native language, which he pronounced accurately and spoke fluently, as long as he lived. As to his preaching he did not content himself with delivering a little dry morality, but unfolded and applied the great and glorious doctrine of the Gospel. His principles were truly evangelical and his knowledge of truth was extra ______ and clear and judicious. He knew how rightly to divide the word of truth and to give the Saint and sinner their proper portion. He would search the hyprocrite and his false proof out of his hands. In the choice of his subjects he often seemed to give his fancy scope for he wou1d freguently go upon text which his _________ could hardly devise how he could manage them, to advantage, but when he had smote the rock, the water would gush out. Upon the whole he was a workman who needed not to be ashamed for he rightly divided the word of truth. In his family he was a bright example of true piety. The morning and evening sacrifices of prayer and praise were constantly offered up to the God of our lives and mercies. He not only endeavored to train up his children in the paths of virtue and religion, but he also took such pains with his servants to teach them the fear of the Lord and the way to eternal happiness. I wish I could say that in these things I could say that his succcss had been equal to his endeavors. He was a good __(?)___ knew how to solves doubts and clear up difficult cases of conscience. To say no more, he was the sincere open, constant and hearty friend, could keep
a secret, and in short, few men were ever better qualified for friendship than he. His last illness he bore with much patience and seemed not at all terrified at Death.

      He died (as observed before) on Saturday Nov. 12, 1774. I preached his funeral sermon in his own congregation at Euhaw, from Jos[hua]. l4:19 - "Because I live, ye shall live also" - which word he had made choice of for that purpose more than three years before his death when he engaged me to perform this last kind office of respect to him. I had a full congregation to hear the funeral sermon, most were in tears and gave visible marks of the regards they bore to the memory of their late dear minister. May God sanctify the affliction and repair the loss to al1 concerned.

      On Friday Feb. 3, I775, Rev. Ethanan Winches arrived here from Rehoboth in New England, and on Monday ye 27th, he left Chas Town on his return home.

      On Monday, May 8, Capt. Allen brought the news of the commencement of hostilities by the King's troops at Lexington on ye 19th April [1st?] 1775. On May ye 10, 1775, I set off to the High Hills on Santee, attended the Association there and returned home ye 17. On Wednesday, May 24th, my son John arrived from Rhode Island.

      On Monday July 31, I set off for the frontiers of this province being appointed by the council of saftey [sic] to accompany the Honorable Willian Henry Drayton and the Rev. William Tennent to try to reconcile a number of the inhabitants, who are disaffected to Government. I was out until September ye 6th following.

      My son Silas was born on Wednesday August ye 30th about 7 o'clock, I being on the frontier.

      My son Silas died on Thursday, September ye 21st about 12 o'clock at night being three weeks and one day old. I was then at Mr. SCreven's my daughter Nelly being dangerously ill, so that I was absent at the birth and death of the child, a heavy tryal to my dear Nancy.

      On Friday October ye 6th I775, I with my whole family and effects fled from Chas Town for fear of the enemy. We went in a schooner, had a tedious passage, arrived at Euhaw on Saturday ye 14 and were kindly received by Mrs. Pelot. About ye 6th of November I was taken with a fever at Euhaw, which held me off and on till near the middle of December before I was able to preach.

      On Saturday April ye 27, I assisted Rev. Richard Furman in ordaining Mr. Joseph Cook to the work of office of the Gospel of Ministry at the High Hills of Santee.

      On Friday June ye 26 the famous Battle of Sullivan Island was fought, when God appeared for me, and defeated our enenies. A day the much to be remembered by Carolina.

      On Thursday July ye 4 [1776] the thirteen united colonies of North America were declared free and independent states by the continental congress.

      On Saturday August ye 3rd I returned with my family to Charles Town which we left ye 6th Oct, last.

      My son John entered the Army August 20, 1776 and had his commission as 2nd Lieut. in the 2nd Regiment under the command of Col. Moultrie, since General.

      November ye 5th set off on a journey to Pee Dee from whence I returned on ye 26th, Mr. Screven accompanied me.

      On Tuesday March 25, 1777 I assisted Rev. Joseph Cook in the ordination of Mr. Lewis Richardson to the work of the Ministry in my Meeting House Charles Town.

      [B.?] On Tuesday, March ye 25th 1776, South Carolina broke off the British yoke and established a new form of Government upon a free and generous plan, our rulers being chosen from among ourselves. May we never again be enslaved!

      On Monday night about 10 o'clock, August ye 11th, departed this life Rev. Willian Tennent, Pastor of the Congregatlonal Church in this town. He died on the High Hills of Santee, on his return from the Jerseys whither he had been for his mother, his father having died last spring. On hearing of his death, the next Sabbath, I endeavored to improve so melancholy a providence among the people of my charge in a Discourse from 2 Sam.[uel] 3:38 - "Know ye not that there is a great man fallen this day in Israel." This sermon was published by the people of Mr. Tennant's late charge.

      Friday, Nov. 7th - this day brought us a confirmation of the account (before received) that Gen. Burgoyne has surrendered himself with his whole army, said to consist of 5200 men, to Gen. Gates at Saratoga. This grand event took place on the l7th of last month, October. It is scarce paralelled in History and will shine in the annals of America to the latest ages. It calls for Thankfulness to the Lord of Hosts from every true friend to this country.

      On Tuesday evening, December the 2nd, my son-in-law (should be stepson) Chas. Isaac Grimball received a dangerous contusion on his head which threatened his life. It was wantonly given him by a soldier with a cudgel more fit to combat an ox or a bear with than a young lad. What vexed me, I could not bring the wretch to justice. However, the Lord in mercy restored the Lad. This day completes 28 years since my first landing in Charleston. Many are the changes I have seen and experienced in that time. The town greatly improved - the inhabitants almost new _______. Our church has had its vicisitudes. I myself am grandfather by a daughter then unborn. May God prepare me for what is to come.

      Fire - Thursday Jan. 15 about 5 o'clock this morning a fire broke out in or near Union Street, the north end of town. The flames soon began to spread and in a little time many homes in different parts of the town were on fire. The wind being high, flakes of fire were carried through the air to a great distance, upon lighting on roofs of houses would catch. In vain were the engines played. The fire seemed to lauqh at their feeble efforts to extinguish its flames. It raged with great fury all the morning. About two or three o'clock P.M. the wind (and with it the fire) abated, and about 9- 10 o'clock it was entirely subdued but not before it had reduced to ashes about one-fourth part of the town, even that part on which most of the trade was carried on. May I never see such another day.

      Thursday, March 19. This day the new Constitution of the State of South Carolina was signed by his Exccllency, R___ L____ Governor of the state, by which our privileges, civil and religious, are secured to us, upon the most liberal and permanent foundation.

      Tuesday, May 26. This day brought us the agreeable intelligence that the King of France on ye 16th Dec. _____ did publicly acknowledge the Independence of America and entered into a treaty of amity and commerce with our plenipotentiaries.

      In the treaty his most Christian Majesty generously declares he takes no advantage of our infantile state and allows us to make peace with Brittain [sic] on any terms except that of giving up our Independence and again yielding obedience to that Government.

      Wednesday, July 22nd. This morning I attended the execution of one Malcolm (late a Sergent [sic] in one of the Regiments of this state) shot for desertion. Two more were sentenced to the same punishment by McGuire (?) and Johnson who were led to the plan of execution with Malcolm aud there pardoned by the lenity [sic] of General Moultrie. It was the most solemn and effective execution I ever attended. The whole army was drawn up and paraded at the Barracks where the crimanals lay. I went in, conversed and prayed with them. As soon as we came out, the the whole army moved slowly - the drums muffled beat the dead march and the fifes playing answerable thereto. The prisoners and myself nearly in the rear surounded by a strong guard. I conversed with them all the way, but am sorry to say discovered but little signs of penitence in either of them. McGuire seemed the Most penitent of the three. When we came to the fatal ground, the army divided to the right and left. When we prisoners with our guard marched through the midst of them to the spot where Malcolm was executed - I say we prisoners for I seemed to differ from them only in my garb (gown and band) and I suppose in my feelings, tho' I felt for them, especially for Ma1co1m who I knew was to die. The adjutant General had informed me the other two would be pardoned though they knew it not and had nothing but death before them. I then prayed with them a second time, bid them farewell and stepped a small distance from them. Col. Mason the commander, then separatcd poor Malco1m from the other two and told him, he being rather greatest offender must die first, and indeed addressed him in a most solemn and suitable nanner, as being just launching into eternity. Malcolm then wished once more to speak with me. The Col. desired I should indulge him; on asking him what he wanted, he replyed to pray with him. I supposed all he wanted was to protract time - however I prayed with him the third time. Then the unhappy victim, blindfolded and on his knees (at the silent motion of the Col.) received the shot, which was thrice repeated before he was quite dead. The othcr two were then handsomely addressed by the Col. commandent first as if they were now to die, and finally gave them to know that they were pardoned on condition of their continuing in the service during the war.

      Monday August 10. We had a severe storm of wind and rain which did much damage to the shipping in the harbor and to the crops in the field. Had the wind continued in the same quarter with equal violence until next high water, in all probability the shipping would have been destroyed and most of the town would have been under water. But about 3 o'clock P.M. the wind veered round from NE to NW which soon checked ye water and so delivered us from our fears. Thus God favours sinful Charles Town.

      Monday Sept. 7. Last night a riot took place betwixt the English and French sailors. 1 English man and 3 French men were shot, died, and 2 or 3 wounded - A sorry business.

      1778 - Nov. 7. As some people were cleaning out a cellar of one of the houses on the bay, burnt down in January last, they came up with some rice still on fire, which must have been burning near 10 months. Numbers were eye witness to this event, as I was myself.

      Thursday, Nov. 19. This evening I married my son Oliver to Miss Sarah Brockinton, a poor girl, but sustains a virtuous character which is preferable to riches. May God bless them, and make them blessings to each other.

      Friday, Dec. l4. This day towards evening arrived General Lincoln. He came in the most private manner, without any pomp or parade. May his coming be a blessing to these southern states.

      Dec. 8. About 3 o'clock this morning a fire broke out in Queen St. which consumed the house of Jacob ___(?), that of Kimnel, the baker, and two or three more. There is the greatest reason to believe this was done by the hands of some vile Tory.

      Wednesday, Dec. l2. Rev. Messrs Coe and Porter dined with me. Two young ministers of the Presbyterian order, educated in Providence College, R. Island, and were sent out by the Presbytery on a preaching excursion.

      Jan. 1, 1779 - My kind and generous friend, Mr. Hinds, called at my house and presented me with a New Year's gift consisting of 300 dollars, a generous supply for which I would thank God and the Doctor.

      Feb. 1. This day Mr. James Murray was unhappily killed by the bursting of a great gun on Edisto Island. He survived the accident but a few minutes, was insensible and never spoke. Thus uncertain is life. O may I always hold myself in readiness for death.

      Feb. 8th. This morning was favoured with a letter from the kind and generous Wm. Mary Lamboll Thomas containing a present of 70 dollars. Thus God supplies ny necessities. May I be thankful and my kind benefactors be rewarded.

      Thursday, March 4. A little after 10 o'clock at night the town was alarmed by the ringing of the bells in St. Michael's Church Steeple. None knowing by whom, or for what purpose, sundry persons went up the steeple and found a negro man, pretending to be fast asleep, and apparently drunk, who on being aroused declared he knew nothing about the ringing of the bells. The general opinion seemed to be that the ringing of the bells was intended as a signal for the perpetration for some disbolical [?] plot. It may be for burning the town, or perhaps something worse. Thro' mercy no harm came of it.

      May 11th, 1779. General Provost having meditated an attack [on] Chas Town left Georgia with an army of British soldiers, made a rapid march through the country, and this evening came near our lines when everybody expected (and many wished) the attack would be made. A party of our men went out in the evening to stop a gap in the Abaltis, and returning late were challenged by the centinel, but not being able to give the counter sign, were fired upon. This gave an alarm, and the lines were in an instant all on a blaze. The roar of cannon and small arms was comparable to terrible thunder. In this unhappy affair we lost Col. Huger, a brave officer, and several privates.

      May 12th, several flags passed between the enemy and the citizens, the purport of which never was made publick.

      May 13. This morning Count Pulaski went out to reconnoitre, and brought back word that the enemy instead of attacking the Town had retreated the night before over Ashley Ferry. Thus sinfui Charles Town was delivered at this time. Provost then passed over several islands, robbing and plundering as he went until he arrived at Savannah [sic] in Georgia. But not without being first attacked in their lines at Stone Ferry by Gen. Lincoln with about 600 men. In this encounter we lost the brave Co1. Roberts, Mayor Ancrum, Capt. Doggett, and Lieut. Charlton, with sundry privates. It is said our men behaved with the greatest bravery charging the enemy with bayonets. Their loss not known, but supposed to be considerably greater than ours. However, they then lost in a day or two and pushed away. The providence of God in the defeat of Gen. Provost's design on Chas Town appears visible in the fol1owing particulars. Very first the enemy were not permitted to come until our Fort's lines and _______ were in a condition to make an obstinate defence or rather to be defended against a powerful assault. Secondly, powerful succoms (?) were thrown into the town just at the time they were wanted, as Count Pulaski with his Legion, General Moultrie with his party who had retreated

before the enemy from Black Swamp, and numbers of militia from all quarters, so that we drew rations for upwards of 4000 men. Thirdly, the enemy must certainly have found themselves deceived with respect to our strength and force and fourthly, they must certainly have got intelligence that Gen. Lincoln with the main body were in their rear, so that if they had lost time in attacking our lines and had not succeeded [in] their retreat wcould have been cut off. They would have been between two fires, and might probably have lost their whole army, which would have been another Burgoyne affair. But they like that General chose elbow room, therefore betook themselves by a precipitant flight, and instead of taking the town, contented themselves with robbing and plundering the innoccnt and inoffensive islanders.

      Monday, Aug. 2, 1779. This morning on rising out of my bed I was suddenly seized with a rheumatic or as some think a paralitic complaint in my right shoulder, which soon affected the who1e arm and hand, which rendered me unable to preach or write for some time and left a fixed numbness, which perhaps I may carry with me to the grave.

      Saturday, Oct. 9, 1799. This morning about break of day the united army of French and Americans made command of the Count de Estaing, attempted to storm the British lines at Savannah in Georgia, but were repulsed with the loss of many brave men among them, Count Pulaski received a mortal wound of which he died. My son John had the command of the company, was in the thickest danger, the bullets [sic] falling all around him like hail, but God in mercy spared his life.

      Wednesday Feb. 11, 1780. Being the day when the alarm was fired, on account of the British fleet appearing off Stono Bar, and in the evening I was taken with a fever, having taken a cold that day. The fever hanging on me [I] was advised by the doctors to leave town for change of air, especially as the enemy had landed and it was supposed Chas Town would soon be attacked which would render it an unfit stand for me in my weak state.

      Accordingly on Wednesday, Feb. 2, left Chas Town and went by the water to my son in law, Mr. Thomas Screverns, accompanied by my dear Nancy as a nurse. Here I continued two months precisely. The enemy soon appeared before the lines at Charles Town and from the time of opening their batteries, nothing was heard but the hideous roar of cannon by day and night. Often did I petition God with prayers and tears that poor Charles Town might be spared, and not suffered to fall into the enemy's hands. Never could I give it up until I heard of it's surrender, which melancholy event happened on ye 12th day of May. Altho' I did not hear of it with any degree of certainty until ye 21st, being then at Rev. Mr. Hill's, having left Mr. Screven's on Lord's Day April 16th when we received certain intelligence that a strong detachment from the British army had that morning crossed Bouncoan's Ferry, and were accually within a few miles of us. I then packed up a few clothes in haste, and about 12 o'clock took leave of my dear wife and the family (the most affecting parting I ever experiened) and mounting my horse, set off but whither I was going or when I should return I know not, but endeavored to leave my connections and place myself in the hands of the great and wise Disposer of all Events. The night after I left Mr. Screven's I lodged at Anderson's Ferry on Santee, and next morning crossed the river and to Mayor Benjamin Smith's where I was kindly received and hospitably entertained as long as I chose to tarry with them, which was until Friday, April 28, 1780, when rode to George Town and put up at Mr. William Outtins who with his wife and her mother received me with the greatest cordiality and esteem. How long I may have tarried here I cannot say but on Monday May ye 1st, a report prevailed that 1500 of the enemy, were on their march for this place. I therefore left the Town about 3 o'clock P. M. and a little after dark arrived at Capt. Benj. Screven's where I was kindly received and took up my quarters. Tarried until Tuesday May 16th about noon. Then rode to Rev. Thos. (?)[in document this way] Hill's. While here on ye 2lst, just heard of the surrender of Chas Town.

      Tuesday, May 22nd, left Mr. Hill's for Rev. Evan Pugh, where I arrived the next day, preached for Mr. Pugh on Lord's Day and tarried among friends on the bank of Pee Dee [River] until Friday June 2nd when set off for my brother in Virginia, accompanied by my dear son in the Gospel, Rev. Edward Botsford. Three of Col. Hicks' daughters and. several men were to travel with us some distance into No. Caro1ina. I was distressed at the thought of leaving my dear Mrs. Hart, and family in the hands of the enemy, but it was out of my power to help them. Commiting them into the hands of a merciful God therefore, I proceeded on my journey. By slow marches we arrived at my brother's on Monday June 26th about 2 o'clock P. M. Here we made a stand, and during our stay supplyed a Presbyterian Congregation, meeting at the Stone House in Augusta County and preached occasionally elsewhere.

      Thursday August 3rd, I baptized Capt. John Stephenson in the North River adjoining my brother's in the face of a large congregation, chiefly Presbyterians. Few of them had ever seen the like, however they behaved well. Prior to administering the Ordinance, I preached from Mark 16:16 - "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved". Whence I undertook to prove that believers are the only proper subjects of baptism and that dipping in water is essential to the mode of administration.

      Thursday, August 31, 1780. Heard of Gen. Gates' defeat near Camden, which event determined me to procccd on to my brother's in Pennsylvania as all hopes of my returning to Charles Town for the present was cut off. I continued however in these parts until Friday, Sept. 15, when I took leave of my brother and family, my dear son Botsford accompanying me. We crossed the Picket Mountains at Massanutte Gap, the Blue Ridge at Thoms Gap, thus shaped our course for Mr. Lelands, in Orange County, where we arrived Thursday Sept. 21. Found Mr. Leland just recovering from a severe fit of sickness. We tarried with him all Friday and on Saturday rode to a meeting at a private house in the neighborhood where we with two ministers, ________ John Waller and William Dawson. The former preached and Mr. Botsford. We then dined together and were happy together, the more so they were _________ Botsford and I returned to the Lalands.[as is in document]

      Lord's Day, Sept. 24, taking leave of Mr. Leland, we rode to Orange Mountain Meeting House where we met a large congregation and four ministers of the place. Waller, myself and Botsford preached. Without any intermission. On Monday Botsford and I rode to Mount Pony in Culpepper County where we preached. Lodged with one Anthony Foster.

      Tuesday Sept. 26 we rode to one Mr. Hunton's in Fagnier County, lodged there. Wednesday 27th we both preached in Broad Run Meeting, had interview with Rev. David Thomas.

      Thursday, Sept. 28th, Mr. Botsford accompanied me a piece into Prince William Parish and then we parted after having rode upwards of 700 miles together. Having parted with my son Botsford was determined to see Philadelphia as soon as I could.

      Friday, Sept. 29 reached Leesburg, lodged at my Cousin Joseph Gilbert's. A11 well here.

      Lord's Day Oct. 1 - Preached in Frederic Town.

      Monday, Oct. 2, reached Baltimore, put up with my nephew John Thomas, whom I had never seen before. Preached there on Tuesday evening in the Baptist Meeting house, and on Thursday, Oct. 5, left Baltimore for Philadelphia, tarried and preached at London Tract.

Tuesday, Oct. 10. This day brought me to the great city of Philadelphia where I had my first interview with Rev. Mr. (since Dr.) William Rogers who with his lady, kindly invited me to make their house my home.

      Wednesday, Oct. 11. Left the city and rode up to Brother-in-law Isaac Houghs. Found him, my sister and family well.

      Thursday, Oct. 12 (1780). Brother Joseph came to see me with whom after dinner I went home to the spot where I was born July 5, 1723, upward of 57 years ago.

      Saturday, Oct. 14. Had my first interview with Rev. Jno. Blackwell at Southhampton where he preached.

      Friday, Oct. l7. Attended Association. Rev. Sam'l Jones preached the sermon. This was the first time I ever saw him. Had the pleasure of seeing all the ministers, with some of whom I had been heretofore acquainted.

      Monday, Oct. 10. Rev. Jno. Blackwell and Stephen Barton waited on me with my invitation from Hopwell Church to supply them until May next.

      Lord's Day, Nov. 5. This day Hopewell the first visit, and preached to them twice and on Monday even I preached at the Jno. Hunts.

      Wednesday, Nov. 22, being in Philadelphia, shipped 2 half (?) 1 (?) . 21/2 guineas on Board Flag for Charles Town for the refief of my family.

      Lord's Day, Dec. 3. I am now at Hopewell on a second visit - being a stormy day, preached but once.

      Saturday, December 16th. This day the members of Hopewell Church being not sent for me and unanimously gave me a call to serve them until spring which I accepted, and on Monday, Dec. 25, I settled in the Parsonage House on Parsonage Farm and on Friday following procured my niece, Holly Thomas, to keep my house.

      On taking an account of the members of this church, I found their numbers stood as follows:

Male white members        89
Female "    "            124 
Blacks (3 male & 4 female) 7
Total                    220



      The Rev. William Screven was of Somerton, England, an inland town thirteen miles south of Wells, 123 west of London (it gave the name to the Shire - Somersetshire) about 50 miles fron Exeter Devonshire, whence came the Smiths in 1681 (afterwards Landgrave Smith of S. C.)

      William Screven settled at Kittery on the Piscatawquay river, county of York, Maine, emloyed in holding religious meetings in his own house. He had entered into particular membership with the first Baptist Church in Boston, Mass. on the 21st June 1681. He had from them a license to preach dated June 11, 1681: "We do appoint, approve and encourage our beloved brother, William Screven, to exercise the gift in the place where he lives or elsewhere as the providence of God my cast him, and so the Lord help him to eye his glory in a1l things and so to walk humbly in the fear of his name." Signed by us in behalf of the rest, Isaac Hu1l, John Farmer.

      This step raised the same spirit of persecution at Kittery under which the Baptists at Boston had suffered severely. By the procurement of Mr. Woodbridge the minister, and Hucke the magistrate, the people who attended Mr. Screvens' meetings were summoned to answer for their conduct and threatened with a fine of five shillings, should they repeat their offence. He continued to preach to all who attended, was apprehended and taken before the general court on whose records is found the following entry: "William Screven convicted of the contempt of his Majesty and authority and refusing to submit himself to the sentence of the court, prohibiting his public preaching and declaring his resolution to persist in it, was made to give bond for his good behavior for the future, and as a delinquent to stand committed until the judgement [sic] of this court be fulfilled." Again: "The Court, having considered the offensive speeches of William Screven, by his rash and incoderatce [?] words tending to blasphemy (probably for denying that infant baptism was right) do indulge to the delinquent to pay 10 pounds into the Treasury of the Province, and the court forbids him under any pretense to keep any private exercises upon the Lord's day whether in Kittery or any place within the limits of the Province, upon such penalties as the law requires upon such neglect of the premises."

      So far was he from yielding to such sentences, that on the 13th of September he, with the rest, sent a request to Boston, "that Elder Hull and the others might visit, and form them into a church," which was granted. So that a covenant was solemnly signed on Sept. 25, 1682 by William Screven, Elder Humphrey Churchwood, Deacon Robert Williams, John Morandy, Richard Cutt, Timothy Davis, William Brown, William Adams, Humphrey Ayells, George D. Litten, and a number of sisters, but they were unable to maintain their ground more than a short time. Such was the persecution that they f1ed, the greater part of the congregation with their minister from Piscataqua to Cooper river a few miles from Charleston, and called the settlement Somerton, from the English home of Wm. Screven. They came late in the year 1682. The spot is not now exactly known.

      William Screven, at the age of 70, still preached but began visibly to decline, he wrote a treatise containing his latest counsels which he left with them in manuscript, and, which the Church afterwards published entitled "An Ornament for Church Members, etc." (of which not a copy is known to be extent [sic]). It ended with "My request is that you as speedily as possible supply yourselves with an able and faithful minister." He died in 1713. But the old age and retirement of this venerable saint was not to be spent in indolence and ease; he looked for that rest only which is to come. Instead of remaining in town where he may have enjoyed a competancy, and the society of his numerous family and friends, he removed his residence to the head of Winyan Bay, purchased and settled the land on which Georgetown is now built, and preached to those around when his health permitted.

      Mr. White came from England and supplied the Baptist Church in Charleston but he soon died, and they again became dependent on labours of their venerable pastor, who met the occasion with a spirit becoming the man of God; "with him the choice did not lie between labor and repose, but between the different fields of action which might invite the toil". The first Church in Boston was suffering from several years of destitution since the death of Elder John Emblem. A letter fron London 17th March 1706 says "We cannot think of a minister who is a[t] liberty, proper for you." Signed by nine of them. They then lifted up an imploring cry to William Screven to go to their relief. He was at first inclined to go, but had soon to write "Our minister who came is dead, and I can by no means be spared. I can only be helpful to you in my prayers to God for you or in writing to you."

      It is not thought that he removed his family again to town, but that he ministered to the church occasionally as he was able until his death.

      He had 90 communicants waiting to be enlightened by the last rays of his setting sun - a scene this, which enkindled afresh the energies of his soul. But tho' like the sun, he had gone forth from his chambcrs rejoicing as a strong man to run his course, it pleased God that the remainder of his race should be short. On the 10th Oct. 1713 at Georgetown, having completed his 84th year, he was called to rest from his labours. He was pure in morals, sound in doctrine, abundant in exortion, tender and affectionate to all, but especially to the Church of Christ, honored and revered by all who knew him, and whether in "persecution or success", showing out of a good conversation his works with the meekness of wisdom.

      (1832) His tomb is still to be seen although in a dilapidated condition in a lot on Screven St., Georgetown, late the residence of Robb Heriot Esq.

      William Screven was born at Somerton, England in 1629. Soon after his arrival in Kittery, Maine, he married Bridget Cutt and with her was blessed with 11 children. His talents were above mediocrity, though favoured with but a partial literary competency, yet a brilliant and energetic imagination, a fervent heart, enlivened by the genial influence of Christianity wonderfully aided him. He was beloved by his brethren, his ministrations were listened to with delight and received with edification and profit. He was eminent for devoted piety and religious usefulness.

(Note: Bridget Cutt was supposed to be Screvens' second wife.)

      Thomas Smith Screven (the son of James Screven and Mary Smith, the sister of Henry Smith of Goose Creek, at whose home they were married in 1736) planted in St. Thomas Parish, Chlaleston County, during the Revolutionary War, he was the acting Trustee of the first Church, Charleston, the British troops visited his plantation and from his swelling [dwelling?] carried off the old books kept by the trustees of the Church and also all papers of value.

      In 1726 Ephraim Mikell gave a lot of two acres for a church - probably on Edisto Island and Samuel Screven, among others, was one of the trustees.

      At the Goose Creek Mansion the Rev. Chanler united in marriage James, the Grandson of Rev. Wm. Screven, to Mary Hyme, the daughter of the 2nd Landgrave Smith.

      William and James Screven of James Island (brothers) in 1745 members of the Baptist Church in Charleston (when James Glen, Gov., and William Bull, speaker, gave the lot no. 62 Church St. to be used by both the particular and general

Baptist[s]) were appointed Trustee[s] also Robert Screven, the grandson of the first Wi1liam Screven - also William Screven, Jr., another grandson, they with the other trustees purchased in 1746 the lot upon which the Marriner Church now stands.

      Rev. Pelot's wife (1772) was Catharine, late widow of Willian Screven and daughter of Justinius Stoll.

      By a statement made by Col. Thomas Smith Screven (then 39 years old in 1870) the acting trustee is certified by his uncle Benjamin and Thomas Smith, the Baptist Church in Charleston possessed funds to the amount of 14,700 Pounds.

      William Screven gave 600 pounds to the church toward a building.

      In 1787 titles to the Euhaw church were given to John Screven for the trustees.

      Thomas Smith Screven, great grandson of William Screven and son-in-law of Rev. Oliver Hart joined the Baptist Church after his marriage.

      Charles Odingsell Screven born 1774 great-great-grandson of Rev. William Screven, the first minister and the son of Gen. James Screven (who was killed during Revolutionary War near Medway Meeting House, Georgia) became a Baptist preacher, baptized 1802, educated at Brown's University, married widow Jones, formerly Miss Barnard of Savannah.


      Charles Odingsell Screven was the son of Gen. James Screven who was killed during the Revolution by a party of Tories and Indians near Medway Meeting House, Liberty County, Georgia. He was born in 1774 and Bef.(?) 1786 when twelve years of age was baptizcd by Dr. Furman in Charleston. Graduated at Brown's University, Rhode Island and soon after became Pastor of thc Baptist Church at Sanbury, Liberty County, Georgia. Was ordained by Dr. Furman, Revs. Botsford and Clay at Charlston. He married Mrs. Jones, the mother of the Rev. Charles B. Jones of Fla. She died in about one year leaving one child, who became a Baptist Minister, the Rev. James O. Screven.

      In the year 1813 he was married to Mrs. Barbara R. Ho1mes by whom he had several chiidren (see history of the Hart family). He suffered severely from a disease of his eyes, and died from a cancer July 2, 1830, aged 57. For an extendecd sketch of his 1ife see "Georgia Baptist Historical and Biographical" published 1874. pp. 195-204.

      James O. Screven, son of Rev. C. O. Screven, was born in Savannah Feb. 4, 1804. Baptized 1828 by his father, graduated at Franklin College. He married in 1830 on Hilbow Head, Eleanor Talbrid, daughter of Capt. Henry Talbrid. In 1845 laboured as co.pastor of Rev. Rich and Fuller D.D. at Beaufort. In 1850 removed to La Grange, Troup Co., Ga. During the war of Sccession laboured in the hospital among the soldiers, and died May 15, 1864. He left one son and three daughters. A sketch of his life can be found in "Georgia Baptist Historical and Biographical," published in 1874, pp. 449/450.


[From a document at SBTS Archives, Adam Winters, Archivist. Scanned and formatted by Jim Duvall.]

More Baptist Bios
Baptist History Homepage