John Gano as Pastor in New York City
Rev. John Gano, a clerical scholar of rare culture, pastor of the infant Baptist chuch prior to the war, had been a chaplain in the army, and upon returning to the city with the establishing of peace could find but thrity-seven of his two hundrd church-members. Their little house of worship had been used as a stable, but was soon repaired. Mr. Gano labored successfully in this field until 1788, when he resigned his charge and removed into the wilds of Kentucky. During his ministry he received into the church by baptism two hundred and ninety-seven persons. His successor was Rev. Benjamin Foster, who filled the pulpit ten years. The third pastor was Rev. William Collier. During the ministry of the latter the old structure was replaced by a new one, sixty-five feet by eighty, and the dedication sermon was preached in May, 1802, by Rev. Stephen Gano, of Providence, Rhode Island, the son of Rev. John Gano.
[From Mrs. Burton Harrison and Martha Joanna Lamb, History of the City of New York: Its Origin, Rise and Progress, 1896, p. 284. From Google Books On-line. Scanned and formatted by Jim Duvall.]
More on John Gano
Baptist History Homepage