Baptist History Homepage

Missionary Department

CHINA, Canton Mission
Letter of Brother F. C. Johnson
Via the Tennessee Baptist, 1848

      The following from the pen of brother F. C. Johnson, refers to the death of brother Samuel C. Clopton. His letter is dated August 23d: -

      Brother Pearcy and myself left Hong Kong last Wednesday, the 18th inst. Brother Pearcy came only to be at the mission meeting, attend to business, and then return to Hong Kong, to which place the physicians have recommended him, and where he will probably remain until 1st October. His health and that of sister Pearcy demands it. I came to stay for good. - We found brother Roberts well. We had a conference on Friday afternoon. On Saturday, met early, when brother Roberts and myself became members of the mission. As soon as this was done, brother Roberts acting as chairman pro tem., and brother Pearcy, secretary, the following resolutions concerning brother Clopton, who died July 7th, at the mission house, were adopted, viz: -

Resolved,1st, That while we bow in humble submission to the Divine will, in the sudden and unexpected death of brother Samuel C. Clopton, our endeared colleague, so soon after he had entered upon the field of his labors, still we rejoice in the assurance that God reigns, and that whatever he does is always right.

2nd. That we regarded brother Clopton as eminently qualified to fill the station he occupied. Delighting to co-operate with his brethren, and possessing much love to his Saviour, he evinced a strong sympathy for the perishing heathen - around him, and longed to preach the gospel to them. Though his course was short, he fulfilled it well, and his works will follow him.

3d. That we deeply sympathize with our dear sister Clopton in her bereavement and bodily affliction, and that we commend her, with her fatherless infant son, to the friends of missions, and to that of God who is the widow's husband and the orphan's father.

Letter from Brother George Pearcy

      The letter below from brother Pearcy brings intelligence that he has been raised up from the painful and perilous sickness by which he was attacked. More recent information represents his health as still improved. May he be spared many years to the mission. His letter is dated August 23d, 1847.

      You were informed by the last overland mail of the death of our dear brother Clopton on the 7th July, and of my dangerous illness. Soon after his burial, I was attacked with similar fever. It terminated to the heart, and affected the lungs. My friends and physician thought me dangerously ill - nigh unto death. I so regarded it; but knew no fear, I felt that the Saviour was with me, and precious. - Through great and abounding mercy, I have been raised up. It was decided by my kind physician, in which all my friends concurred, that we should leave this city for Hong Kong awhile. Towards the last ultimo I was able to go down in a Chinese fast-boat, accompanied by Mrs. P. and brother Johnson, who, having arrived in Hong Kong, and hearing of my illness, without delay came up for us. I am left in quite an enfeebled state of health, but hope in a few weeks to be strong. We were rejoiced to meet with our friends of the Ashburton. They arrived in Hong Kong on the 25th July, having been out 136 days.

      On the 17th instant, brother M. T. Yates and lady arrived at the same place, having been out 112 days. Brethren Thomas W. Tobey, Yates and ladies, sailed two days ago for Shanghai. We expect their ship to touch at Whampoa, and hope to see them to-day.

Letter from Brother I. J. Roberts

      The December No. of the Journal contained a reference to the robbery of brother Roberts' premises, and the consequent inconveniences to which he was subjected. We are happy to say that through the interference of Hon. Mr. Everett, since deceased, the Chinese authorities have allowed such indemnities, as will to some extent reimburse our missionary, and enable him, with but little interruption, to rebuild his chapel and prosecute his work. Having referred to the communications which passed between himself and the American Commissioner, on the subject of his losses, brother Roberts proceeds to notice his prospects for the future.

      While attending to this correspondence, on the one hand, on the other I proceeded with my mission work. On Monday, the 24th May, at the kind invitation of brethren Pearcy and Clopton, I took up my lodgings at their house. Through the friendly sympathies of themselves and their ladies, my wardrobe and other conveniences for present use were supplied. During the week we made some excursions for preaching and distributing books on the water. On Sunday, May 30, we concluded to go and preach to them at the Uet-tung chapel, endeavoring to overcome their evil by good. Brother Pearcy and myself; about 10 o'clock, went down, and first visited Deacon Wong-hun's house, in the neighborhood, joined him in family prayer, and then took him with us to the chapel for preaching. When we arrived, I got up on a little elevation and invited those around to come and hear the gospel. Soon we had nearly a hundred hearers, to whom, after public prayer, I endeavored to preach, and the assistant followed. All were respectful.


[From the Southern Baptist Missionary Journal, via the Tennessee Baptist, February 10, 1848, p. 3. Scanned and formatted by Jim Duvall.]

China Missionaries
Baptist History Homepage