1. CLEAR CREEK. A precious revival has added to the Church about thirty by baptism. Much Interest is felt in the success of the Georgetown College, the church having voted to contribute annually for five years an average of fifty cents for each male member. The Church has preaching by Elder S. Thomas on the second Sabbath, and Saturday preceding, and by Elder G. B. Peck on the fourth Sabbath. GEO. B. PECK, Pastor. ?J. W. Stone, Clerk,
2. ELK CREEK. Only a few have been baptized during the year, and the church reports as its total number of members, only one more than last year. The church has preaching on the second Sabbath in each month. GEORGE WALLER, Pastor. Edmund Stone, Clerk.
3. LONG RUN. The church complains of coldness. One only was baptized during the year. Preaching on the first Sunday in each month. WILLIAM BARNET, Pastor. F. Luttrell, Clerk.
4. HARROD'S CREEK. Is in a low condition, and still without a pastor. The church solicits the visits of ministering brethren, and would be glad to have a protracted meeting. The monthly meeting is on the fourth Sunday. No Pastor. John W. McCoy, Clerk.
5. BUCK CREEK. This church is one of the largest in the Association. None have been baptized during the year. The church speaks of coldness and inactivity, but of peace among themselves. The church has preaching on the first and third Sundays in each month. The Church meeting is on the Saturday before the first Sunday. GEORGE WALLER, Pastor. B. C. Stephens, Clerk.
6. NEWCASTLE. Considerable interest has been manifested in sustaining the Sabbath School, and the weekly prayer meeting. The church has enjoyed the labors of Elder Goodell, on the second and fourth Sundays of each month. A. GOODELL, Pastor. Thomas B. Posey, Clerk.
7. KINGS. Soon after the last Association the church enjoyed an interesting revival. Their meeting house has been since destroyed by fire, and they have worshiped part of the time in the woods. A new house will he completed very soon. Preaching on the second Sunday, and church meeting on the day preceeding. WM. BARNET, Pastor. George Markwell, Clerk.
8. BURKS BRANCH. This church enjoys harmony and peace, though but few have been added to its numbers. Preaching on the fourth Sunday in each month. GEO. WALLER, Pastor. George Johnson, Clerk.
9. LITTLE MOUNT. Elder William Stout has had the pastoral care of the church since the year 1827. Since the last Association two of the members have been Ordained, namely. N. C. Beckham and Darneal Dowden. Preaching on the second Sunday. WILLIAM STOUT, Pastor. James Stone, Clerk.
10. PLEASANT GROVE. Prayer is requested in behalf of the Indian, the Chinaman and our persecuted brethren in Denmark. Preaching on the third Sabbath in each month. W. BARNET, Pastor. J. W. Williamson, Clerk. Post Office, Middletown.
11. PLUM CREEK. Elder William Stout. was ordained by this church in December 1812, and has had the care of the church from that time. At the time of the last Association an interesting revival had just commenced, which progressed until many were led to Christ. Since that lime a weekly prayer meeting has been maintained. The letter states that the church had just held another protracted meeting, and eighteen were baptized by bro. Beckham. Preaching on tbe fourth Sunday. WM. STOUT, Pastor. Horatio Day, Clerk.
12. LITTLE FLOCK. None have been added during the year by letter or baptism. A meeting house has been commenced on the road leading from Louisville to Shepherdsville. Preaching on the fourth Lord's day. R. GAILBREATH, Pastor. James Wells, Clerk.
13. DOVER. The church was constituted April 11th, 1842 , with thirteen members; Elder Benjamin Al!en was the first pastor, and attended the church from 1812 to 1821 when Elder Samuel Vancleave was called to the pastoral care, which he retained until 1826; Elder Joel Halsey was then called to the care of the church, and preached monthly until 1836. The church was then left destitute of regular monthly preaching, but was attended By Elder E. G. Berry, as occasion would suit him, until 1839 when he accepted the pastoral care of the church, and has continued ever since. Preaching on the first Sunday. EDWIN G. BERRY, Pastor. Joseph E. Powers, Clerk.
14. LOUISVILLE, First Baptist Church. This church has received larger accessions
during the year than in any preceeding [sic] year in its history. The Sabbath School is in a flourishing condition, with 140 Scholars and Teachers, and a Bible Class. Of the additious [additions] to the church during the year, 49 were persons previously connected with the Sunday School either as Teachers or Scholars. There are four regular prayer meetings each week, two of which are attended exclusively by females. The monthly concert of prayer for the spread of the Gospel, on the first Monday night in each month, is observed, accompanied by a collection. The Female Missionary Society contributed during the year $153,50, to the American Indian Mission Association, and the church has in addition to this raised $90 for Missionary purposes, and donated $54 to Georgetown College. By the efficient efforts of the ladies a Fair was held, which realized above $400, which was appropriated towards the payment of the church debt. The church has one licentiate in Georgetown College. The letter speaks of the pastor with great affection. Preaching three, and frequently four times a week. A. D. SEARS, Pastor. Gideon Shryock, Clerk.
15. SHELBYVILLE. Elder Curry having resigned the pastoral care, the church is destitute. A flourishing Sunday School is maintained, with fifty pupils, and two hundred and fifty volumes in the library. There is a Bible Society, auxiliary to the Kentucky and Foreign Bible Society. The letter expresses much anxiety for the prosperity of Georgetown College, "believing that while our denomination is sustaining the College, it is sustaining the Baptist interest throughout the West." The colored members of the church meet in a separate house, under an ordained minister of their own (Geo. Edwards) and numbering about two hundred and thirty. The church contributed the last year sixty-four dollars to the Bible Society; also, fifty-six dollars to the Indian Mission Association and eleven dollars and fifty cents to the Foreign Mission Society. No pastor. William Jarvis, Clerk.
16. FLOYD'S FORK. The accession has been small. Elder William Barnet was ordained in 1829, and has ever since had the pastoral care of this church. Preaching on the fourth Lord's day in each month. WILLIAM BARNET, Pastor. Samuel Walls, Clerk Post Office, Jeffersontown.
17. FISH POOL. None have been received by letter or baptism. Preaching on the second Lord's day in each month. R. GAILBREATH, Pastor. P. M. Cary, Clerk.
18. TAYLORSVILLE. The church complains of being in a lukewarm condition. The number reported is about the same as last year. Preaching on the third Sabbath in each month. WILLIAM STOUT, Pastor. M. B. Shelburne, Clerk.
19. SIMPSONVILLE. In May the church enjoyed a precious [sic] revival, during which, about fourteen were added oy baptism. The colored members about eighty in number, have a separate house for worship. They have chosen and called a pastor, who has accepted the call, and has been preaching to them with acceptance and success. They are about choosing deacons, and will attend to transacting all their business under the superintendence of a committee of the white members. The village Temperance Society numbers one hundred and seventy. Elder John Dale, who has been the pastor for the last thirteen years, (one year excepted,) has resigned the pastoral care of the church in consequence of ill health. A Missionary Society of forty members has been formed, auxiliary to the American Indian Mission Association. A deep interest is felt in the success of Georgetown College. No pastor. James Hollingsworth, Clerk.
20. LOUISVILLE, Second Baptist Church. The observance of several days of fasting and prayer have been greatly blessed to the church. The observance of the last Thursday in February as a day of fasting and prayer for Colleges, that God would raise up more to preach the gospel, proved the commencement of a precious revival. Only one month has passed since April, 1842, that the church has not repaired to the banks of the Ohio, to witness the baptism of believers. A debt of two thousand dollars has been reduced one half, and a system of monthly payment adopted, by which it is hoped the remainder will be paid in less than one year. Within one year the church has contributed about $240,00 for Foreign Missions; also, $70,00 for Home Missions, and about ninety dollars for Georgetown College, on the dollar plan, in addition to $250,00 for the endowment fund. A Maternal Society has been formed, and the mothers belonging to it meet on the first Thursday in each month to pray for the salvation of their children. There are five weekly prayer meetings, one of which is the young converts prayer meeting, and another the female prayer meeting. Fifty copies of the Macedonian are taken. The church has quadrupled in numbers in less than eighteen months. Preaching three times every week. THOMAS S. MALCOM, Pastor. John W. Rand, Clerk.
21. LOUISVILLE, East Baptist Church. The Sabbath School is in a flourishing condition, superintended by the pastor, and many of the children attend upon the ministry of the word, whose parents do not frequent the house of God. The pastor owing to his numerous labors, is not able to perform any other pastoral labor beside preaching on the Sabbath, and at night during the week. The church has a comfortable brick house, forty feet square and neatly finished except the painting, capable of accommodating about three hundred persons. The church has adopted a system at benevolent contribution, which if carried out by all the churches in the State, would yield a vast amount annually, for the spread of the gospel. An annual collection is taken up for four Societies. In March, for the Kentucky and Foreign Bible Society. In June, for the China Mission Society. In September, for the American Indian Mission Asssociation. In December, for the Kentucky General Association. WILLIAM C. HUCK, Pastor.
22. LOUISVILLE, Colored Baptist Church. This church has enjoyed during the past year, an uninterrupted season of revival. Two hundred and fourteen have been added by baptism within twelve months. The church amply sustains its pastor who was ordained in Gasper co., Georgia. He preaches to them three times each week. They have, also, contributed one hundred and fifteen dollars and fifty cents, for Foreign Missions to send the gospel to Africa. Their present meeting house being too small to accommodate their increasing numbers, they are making vigorous efforts to raise sufficient money to erect a larger house of worship. They observe the monthly concert of prayer for Missions, and have a flourishing Sabbath School. The church now numbers seven hundred and forty-five members. HENRY ADAMS, Pastor.
23. SHILOH. The church constituted March 12th, 1842, is yet small, but pays its preacher fifty dollars, and is making an effort to erect a meeting house. Preaching on the second Sabbath in each month. R. MELYIN, Pastor. J. W. Waller, Clerk.
24. UNION RIDGE. This church was constituted in May, 1842, with twenty members, in a section where there has hitherto been great destitution. In July, during a protracted meeting which continued seven days, twenty-one were received by baptism. Preaching on the second Lord's day in each month. GEORGE B. PECK, Pastor.
[From The Long Run Baptist Association minutes, 1843, pp. 11-13; via SBTS digital documents. Scanned and formatted by Jim Duvall.]
More Long Run Baptist Circular Letters
Baptist History Homepage