Buffalo Baptist Church is one of the oldest organizations in the Kanawha Valley. Originally, Buffalo Baptist Church was located a mile above Buffalo and was named the Springfield Baptist Church. On Feburary 4, 1849 a site in Buffalo was obtained for the purpose of building a church. On October 6, 1849, Sarah Allen donated land on Allen Street where the church presently stands. on July 4, 1850, the church's named was changed from Springfield Baptist Church to First Baptist Church, Buffalo.
Before the Civil War, there were several slaves listed as members. These names were recorded only as Lucy, McCoy, Mahalo, etc. The first deacons were: David C. Harrison and Thomas F. R. Smith. The first clerk was William Bronaugh.
Picture of old building.
[From the church's website.]
West Virginia Baptist History
Baptist History Homepage