Baptist Church at Cefn-mawr, at Ruabon, Denbighshire
In May 1801,the gospel was first preached here by Mr. Evan Evans, in a dwelling-house, and when the weather was favourable, out of doors. At the end of two years, five persons were baptized in the river Dyfrdwy, who were followed by others. In 1804, fourteen persons were formed into a church; and in 1805, a small meeting-house was erected, the expense of which was defrayed by contributions from the Welsh churches. The present number of members is about 90. The former place of worship being too small, it was rebuilt in 1815, which cost L350. A Sunday-school, consisting of two hundred and fifty children, is held in the place; and the number of hearers about 800.
Lanfyllin was a branch of the above church, and at the distance of twenty miles. Mr. Evan Evans was the first Baptist minister that preached, in this place, in 1802, and with good success. Here a church was formed in 1804, and the number of members is about thirty-five. There is no meeting-house, but the congregation assembles in a dwelling-house.
Liverpool was a branch of the same church, and about forty-one miles distant from Cefn-mawr. In 1805, a Welsh Baptist church was formed here, consisting of about twenty persons. They meet at present in the old chapel in New-street, where Mr. Johnson preached. They consist of about forty-five members. The place is well attended.
Lixymgreen, in Flintshire, was a branch of the same church, about 24 miles distant. It consists of about 80 members, with two pastors.
Rhosllancrehgrygog, in Denbighshire, a branch of Cefn-mawr, three miles distant. It consists of about 32 members. Near 200 children are taught here in the Sunday school every Lord’s-day.
[From The Baptist Magazine, March, 1817, p. 99. Scanned and formatted by Jim Duvall.]
More on Welsh Baptists
Baptist History Homepage