A history of the Association, from it organization to the close of the session of 1837, prepared by Rev. Jacob Drake, was published in the Minutes of 1859. By order of the Association, the history is now continued.
The session of 1838 was held with the Newark Church, September 1st and 3d. J. Stephens, Professor in Granville College, was chosen Moderator, and George Cole, Clerk. Bro. Cole subsequently resigned, and James Eaton was appointed. The Introductory Sermon was preached by Bro. S. B. Swain, from James II, 21, 22. Seventeen churches were represented, including all belonging to the Association. Of these, Porter, 5 members; Scioto, 13 members, both in Delaware county, were received this session. Baptisms reported, 31; total number of members, 801.
A resolution was adopted to have the history prepared by Bro. Drake printed in the Minutes, but for some reason, probably for want of funds, id did not appear. Bethel Church was dismissed to join some other Association. From the abstract of letters, we learn, Granville Church was destitute of a pastor, but supplied by Prof. S. B. Swain and Prest. Going. The circular letter is on “The Support of the Christian Ministry,” as excellent document, by Bro. T. R. Cressy.
Twenty-first Anniversary, held with the Mill Creek Church, commencing August 31st, 1839. The Introductory Sermon was by Dr. Going, from Isaiah XLIII, 21. Dr. Going served as Moderator, and James Eaton, Clerk. The churches were all represented. Boak's Creek Church, Union county, 12 members, was received. The church formerly reported as Monroe, took the name
of Johnstown, and the Walnut Creek Church, the name of Sunbury.
The past year had been one of spiritual prosperity to the Association. Showers of mercy had fallen upon several of the churches, and many had been brought to rejoice in the pardoning mercy of Christ. Twenty-seven had been baptized in Granville, twenty-nine in Sunbury, nineteen in McKean, and twelve in Rich Hill. The Columbus Church had enjoyed an ingathering of 91 by baptism and 13 by letter, increasing their number from 102 to 204. The total number of baptisms reported was 200, of membership 977, making an increase of over 200.
It appears from the proceedings, and resolutions adopted, that the churches were now engaging heartily and vigorously in the work of missions, education, Sabbath-schools, and kindred objects. No circular letter is published this year. The Minutes are all comprised in eight octavo pages without a cover -- amount reported for printing $19.50. The Association having failed to publish Bro. Drake’s history, a resolution was passed recommending him to publish it himself, and the brethren would patronize him in so doing. On Sabbath there was preaching “at the stand,” by Bros. E. D. Thomas, T. R. Cressy, and a missionary sermon by Dr. J. Going.
The twenty-second Anniversary was held with McKean Church, September 9th and 10th, 1840. The session was held in the middle of the week instead of continuing over Sunday. Bro. O. Owens preached the Introductory Sermon, from 1st Cor. III, 9. Dr. J. Going was chosen Moderator, and James Eaton, Clerk. Nineteen churches were represented. Bennington Church, Licking county, 12 members, was received; also, Mt. Vernon Church, 69 members. This church was represented by Elds. B. Beckwith, and E. Going, and Bro. E. H. Briggs.
If the last year had been one of prosperity, this was still more so. It had been truly a season of refreshing from the Lord. Bro. P. Kelsey had taken the pastoral charge of Berlin Church, and a revival had been enjoyed, and twenty baptized. A shower of mercy had fallen upon Granville Church. Bro. H. Carr had become their pastor. Backsliders had returned; sinners been converted, and saints made to rejoice. Seventy-eight had been baptized, and their number increased ninety-five. The revival in Columbus had continued, and sixty more had been baptized. Newark
Church came up rejoicing. Under the labors of Bro. D. E. Thomas, they had dedicated their new house of worhsip. The Spirit of the Lord had been poured out upon them. The church had increased in number eighty-two, seventy-nine of them by baptism. Mill Creek, Sunbury, and Liberty churches reported each 20 baptisms, Genoa, 22. The whole number of baptisms reported was 357. Total Membership, 1371.
The Columbus Church reported the dismissal of seventy members to form the Colored Baptist Church. This company of colored brethren continued to prosper -- subsequently built them a good house of worship, and are still creditably maintaining their standing as a Christain church.
Arrangements were made at this meeting for the employment of more efficient measures to promote the cause of religion, in the bounds of the Association, by missionary labor and special meetings. A subscription was opened for this purpose, and over $200 in money, goods and provisions, and ministerial labor pledged. A committed of five was appointed to act as a missionary board for the Association. The ladies were especially commended for their co-operation in these efforts, and requestd to continue their good works, by furnishing clothing and other conveniences and necessaries for indigent students in Granville College.
Mention is made, in the proceedings, of the special outpouring of the Spirit of God upon the churches throughout the Sate during the year. It was estimated that more than three thousand had been added to the denomination in the State by baptism. A note is made of the condition of Granville College. Of the 164 students, five were engaged exclusively in theological studies. Between 50 and 60 were professedly not pious, and between 20 and 30 had the ministry in view.
The Circular Letter, prepared by Presdient Going, is an excellent document, on the object of an Associaiton, and the proper means of obtaining that object. The first published list of ordained ministers, with their post offices, appears in the Minutes this year. They are as follows: Philander Kelsey, Alum Creek, Delaware county; Jacob Drake, J. Smith, Delaware; Elias George, Wm Terrer, Radnor; Delaware county; Henry Carr, Jonathan Going, Ezra Going, John Pratt, Granville; T. R. Cressy, John Harris, Columbus; Matthias Philips, Alexandria, Licking county; D. D. Walden, J. C. Barlow, Fredonia, Licking
county; O. Owens, W. Porter, Mill Creek, Delaware county; D. E. Thomas, Newark; B. Adams, Berkshire, Delaware county; E. B. Turner, Wm. Gildersleave, Sunbury; E. W. Clark, Genoa, Delaware county; David Adams, Johnstown, Licking county; J. Frey, Porter, Delaware county. Besides these, it is said there were two or three ordained ministers and several licentiates among the students in Granville College.
The twenty-third Anniversary was held Wednesday and Thursday, September 8th and 9th, 1841, with the St. Albans Church. The Introductory Sermon was preached by Bro. E. W. Clark, from Eph. IV, 24. T. R. Cressy was chosen Moderator, and James Eaton, Clerk. Harrison and Lima church, Franklin county, 15 members; and Welsh Hills church, 71 members, were received into the Association.
The number of baptisms reported is 183. Of these there were in Radnor church 25, Granville 25, St. Albans 29, Newark 31. Columbus church report the completion of their house of worship. Total number of members 1604. Prof. G. W. Eaton, of Hamilton, New York, was present as agent of the American and Foreign Bible Society. Bro. P. Lelsey preached the Missionary Sermon.
The Associational Missionary Board had employed Brother E. W. Clark to labor in the Association, as a missionary, six and one half months. In view of the efficiency of the State Convention, it was resolved, that the missionary operations of the Associations be merged in that organization. It was also resolved, that the next meeting of the Association should be on the second Wednesday in September, and continue three days -- the first two days to be devoted to business, the other to preaching and devotional exercises.
Prof. G. W. Eaton presented the claims of the Bible Society, and a donation and subscription was made amounting to $164.74. The Circular Letter, by Prof. Stevens, is on the meaning of the appellation, “Light of the world.” The churches at this time made regular statistical reports of the condition of their Sunday Schools, reporting this year 1075 scholars.
The session of 1842 was held with Mt. Vernon Church, commencing Wednesday, September, 14th, J. Going, Moderator, Jas. Eaton, Clerk. Bro. D. D. Walden preached the Introductory
Sermon, from 1st Cor. I, 29, 29. Chesterville Church, Knox county, 20 members received. The number of churches now in the Association was 21; of members 1747. A Missionary Sermon ws preached by O. N. Sage, and a collection taken for the State Convention of $21.43.
The churches were recommended to observe the Missionary Jubilee on the first Lord’s day in October. Sermons by G. J. Gabriel and J. Going. Notice is made of the death of Eld. Wm. Terrer of Radnor, who, in the midst of his usefulness, was called away from this life. Radnor Church reported the removal, to the far Wedst, of Eld. E. George. Sunbury Church reported that their meeting house, which was framed last year, had been raised and partly enclosed. Mt. Vernon Church reported the completion of their house of worship. There was a good state of interest and harmony during the meeting, and the churches appear to have been in a prosperous condition. The Circular Letter, by J. Stevens, is on the Gospel Ministry -- presenting its Importance, its Qualifications, andDuties; its Support, Cost and Value.
The twenty-fifth Anniversary was held with the Chesterville Church, Knox county, September 13th and 14th, 1843. Eld. A. Bennet, agent for Foreign Missions, preached the Introductory sermon, from Rev. I, 5, 6. Bro. P. Kelsey acted as Moderator, and James Eaton, Clerk.
The following churches were dismissed, to form, in connection with other churches, Mt. Vernon Association: Chesterville, Radnor, Homer, and Rich Hill. A Missionary Sermon was preached by Bro. E. Turney, and a sermon in behalf of Foreign Missions by Bro. A. Bennet. The time of holding the annual meeting was changed from the second Wednesday in September to the second Wednesday in August. Granville Church reported the resignation of their pastor, Bro. H. Carr, and the call of Bro. E. Turney, who commenced his labors in October previous. They also report that every member of the church is supposed to be pledged to total abstinence from all intoxicating liquors. In Columbus Church, Bro. T. R. Cressy had left, and Bro. D. Eldridge had been invited to take the pastoral charge of the church. A series of meetings had been held by Bro. J. L. Moore and Israel Robord. Bro. T. G. Lamb had taken the pastoral care of St. Albans Church. Liberty Church had inclosed their house of
worship. In the Mt. Vernon Church, Bro. Wm. Smedmear had resigned, and Bro.D. E. Thomas had succeeded him.
The number of baptisms reported was 219, of ordained ministers, 28. The Circular Letter, by Bro. D. E. Thomas from the words, "Be not weary oin well doing," discusses the duty enjoined, the way of compliance, and the encouragements. The session is spoken of as one of much interest. The preaching was characterized by much zeal, earnestness and devotion. The weather was unpleasant, the rain falling almost incessantly. Still they were permitted to enjoy a rich, spiritual repast. The influence of the Spirit was among them, prompting union, devotion and consecration.
Wednesday, August 14, 1844, the Association met with St. Albans Church at Alexandria, Licking county. The Introductory Sermon was by Bro. H. Carr, from John IV, 35. Prof. J. Pratt, Moderator, James Eaton, Clerk. The Association now consisted of 14 churches -- Berlin 117, Granville 248, Johnstown 45, Coulumbus 209, St. Albans 104, McKean 118, Mill Creek 76, Newark 204, Sunbury 96, Genoa 58, Liberty 40, Scioto 46, Harrison and Lima 32, and Welsh Hills 117. The names of 19 ordained minisrters are reported in the Minutes. Nothing of special interest transpired during the year. The churches, though steadfast, appear to have enjoyed but little revival influence. St. Albans Church report the completion of their meeting house; Sunbury, the resignation of their pastor, James Sargent. The Circular Letter, by Bro. E. Turney, is on "The claims of the State Convention." Baptisms reported, 75.
The session of 1845 was held in Berlin, Delaware county, August 13th and 14th. The Introductory Sermon by Eld. I. Bloomer, Agent of the State Convention, from Eccl. IX, 10. Prof. J. Pratt, Moderator, James Eaton, Clerk. Jersey Township Church, 29 members, was received. The St. Albans Church is the only one that reports a revival. Seventy-seven baptisms are reported. The Circular Letter, by Bro. D. Eldridge, is "On Efficiency in the ministry."
The Twenty-Eighth Session was held with the Sunbury church, August 13th and 14th, 1846. The opening sermon was by Prof. J. Pratt, Luke XI:1 - "Lord teach us to pray." Prof Pratt was Moderator and Wm Whitney, Clerk. There were now 15
churches, and 14 ordained ministers in the Association. The ministers were P. Kelsey, Wm. Smedmear, E. W. Freeman, E. Turney, J. Pratt, H. Carr, E. Going, D. A. Randall, J. Harris, T. G. Lamb, J. W. Miller, D. W. Robinson, Matthias Philips, D. Adams.
This year appears to have been one of great spiritual drought. Only eleven baptisms are reported from all the churches. Bro. L. Carr was present as agent of the Bible Society, and preached, and a collection was taken for that object of $10.50. The low state of religion was made the subject of remark, and a resolution passed, setting apart the first Sabbaths in October, November and December, for special prayer to Almighty God that He would again revive His work.
The Circular Letter was written by Br. P. Kelsey, on "The duty of Churches to Young Converst." The Columbus church was without a pastor, Br. Eldridge having left them in May. Newark and Scioto churches did not make any report. Jersey church had commenced a meeting house.
The session of 1847 was held in Alexandria, commencing Wednesday, August 11th. Opening sermon by Br. D. B. Cheney, who had been called to the pastorate of Columbus church, from Acts I:8. D. B. Cheney was chosen Moderator, and T. G. Lamb, Clerk. Kirkersville church, with 37 members , B. Y. Siegfried, pastor, organized in July, was received into the Association; Scioto church made no report. Besides the Introductory Sermon, there was preaching by Bro. Patten, Allen and Pratt.
Br. J. B. Wheaton reported, in behalf of a committee previously appointed, that they have found the lost records of the Association among the papers of father White, of Lancaster. The spiritual drouth [sic] of last year still continued. But ten baptisms were reported. This was the cause of much anxiety among the spiritually-minded. Each church was requested to appoint special meetings for fasting, humiliation and prayer.
Newark church report that they now have a pastor, and preaching each Sabbath, and are somewhat revived. Sunbury church had paid $110 on their meeting-house debt, and had as much more yet to pay. The name of Owen Owens appears as pastor of Genoa church. The total membership was 1,276. The Circular Letter was by T. G. Lamb, on the causes of the great spiritual declension.
The afternoon of the last day of the session was spent in a religous conference. Interesting remarks were made by Bro. Lamb, Carr, Cheney, Eaton, Shephadson and others. The meeting throughout was harmonious, not a jarring note was heard. God's presence seemed to be manifested in the midst.
THIRTIETH ANNIVERSARY - This session was held with Liberty Township church, Wednesday and Thursday, Aug. 9th and 10th, 1848. Silas Bailey, Presdient of Granville College, preached the Introductory Sermon from I Thess. III:8. The number of chuches was now 15. Mill Creek and Scioto churches made no reports, Harrison and Lima church was reported as disbanded. A committee appointed lat year, and continued this, was instructed to visit Scioto church, and ascertain their condition. Total membership 1,094, not including Mill Creek and Scioto.
No church in the Association had enjoyed a revival of religion, and but eleven baptisms are reported. There had been a decrease in numbers in every church, making a total diminution of 110. Six of the churches had pastors and preaching all the time, viz: Columbus, Granville, McKean, Newark, Sunbury, Welsh Hills. Alexandria had no pastor, but was supplied all the time. Berlin and Johnstown had pastors and preaching three-forths of the time. Three churches, Liberty, Jersey and Genoa, had preaching half the time, Kirkersville one-forth of the time. Elds R. Newton, of McKean church, D. D. Walden, of Johnstown , and E. S. Thomas, of Welsh Hills, had come into the Association. The Circular Letter is a valuable statistical document, by J. L. Batchelder, on the "Home Mission Field of Columbus Association."
The Anniversary of 1849, being the 31st, was held with Fredonia church, Sept. 26 and 27. The appointment was made for this session to be held in Columbus. As the time of the meeting approached, in consequence of the prevalence of choera in the city, the place of meeting was changed. The opening sermon was preached by Prof. Pratt, from John VI:67. Silas Bailey was chosen Moderator, and Wm. Whitney, Clerk.
The Mill Creek Church was dismissed to unite with Mad River Association. The committee appointed to visit Scioto Church, reported that the Church had given them reason to expect they would be represented in this meeting. No report, however, was received
from the Church, and it was recommended that their name be continued in the Minutes another year. The afflictive drought of the previous year seemed to be passing away. The number of baptisms reported was 94. Of these 51 was in Mill Creek Church, of which Eld. Line was pastor. The whole number of members was 1201, being an increase over last year of 35. The Circular Letter was written by Bro. S. Bailey, on Spiritual Mindedness.
The Alexandria Church had been supplied with preaching during the year by Bros. Clouse and Miller. Berlin Church had preaching three-fourths of the time by their pastor E. W. Clark. Bro. P. Kelsey had taken the pastoral charge of Sunbury Church. In Granville Church a series of meetings had been held, resulting in the addition of 18 by baptism. Newark Church had enjoyed the labors of T. G. Lamb as pastor. The Columbus Church had been both blessed and chastened. They report a loss of nine by death. Among these was Dr. J. B. Wheaton, who died the 23rd of August. He had been with the Church from its infancy. For its prosperity he had prayed, labored, sacrificed. He was well known throughout the State. For eleven successive years, up to the time of his death, he had filled the office of Treasurer of the Ohio Baptist Convention, and the same office in the Ohio Foreign Mission and Bible Society from its organization in 1839. He was frequently honored with responsible trusts in the denomination, and in the Church of which he was a member. The news of his death was received with sadness throughout the State. He was a man of strict integrity; unobtrucive in manners; faithful to every trust committed him. He was a devout and consistent Christian, and the influence of his holy life, and earnest prayers and faithful exhortations, will long be felt. He died as he had lived, in the triumphs of faith, leaving behind him and example worthy of all imitation.
The Thirty-Second Anniversary was held in Newark, Wednesday and Thursday, August 14th and 15th, 1850. T. G. Lamb was chosen Moderator, and Wm Whitney, Clerk. Scioto Church having neglected to report themselves for three years, was dropped from the Minutes. The number of Churches was now 13; of members 1071. The number of baptisms reported was 58. Of these 20 was in Genoa Church, 17 in Granville, and 10 in Newark. The increase of the year was 17.
A sermon was preached by Bro. C. A. Clark, agent of the Amercian and Foreign Bible Society; a Missionary sermon by Prof J. Pratt, and a sermon in the evening of Wednesday by N. N. Wood of Zanesville. The Circular Letter was written by H. S. Gillet, a member of Columbus Church, on the duty of every disciple of Jesus to labor personally and directly for the conversion of men. This duty was urged and enforced, from the nature of man, the nature of religon, and the nature of the spirit's influence.
Columbus Church had again been afflicted by the death of some of their most useful members. Among them was Mrs. Cole, wife of George Cole for many years editor of the Journal and Messenger. Her death was from cholera, from the fearful ravages of which many in the city had fallen. She was well known to a large circle of friends as the affectionate wife and mother; the useful and devoted Christian. Her death was widely felt and deeply deplored. Three days after the meeting of the Association, the wife of the pastor of the Church, Mrs. D. B. Cheney, was suddenly stricken down by the same mysterious agency. She was an active and useful member of the Church. Her life was replete with good deeds, even to the close of her last day. Her rare energy, her earnest and ready efficiency, were felt in every department of Christian effort.
Br. D. Adams had resigned the charge at Liberty Church, and they were supplied by Bro. W. Northrop. The McKeen Church had preaching by Bro. Henry Carr. Bro. Kelsey had resigned the charge of the Sunbury Church, and they now had preaching one half the time by Bro.Francis Green. Bro. J. W. Hiestand preached three-fourths of the time at Welsh Hills, and one-fourth at Kirkersville.
A resolution was passed, expressive of gratitude to God for his great favor upon the Churches, and all felt that the tokens of mercy during the past, furnished abundant encouragement for the future. A deeply interestng season of prayer and conference, closed a most delightful and harmonious session.
The session of 1851 was held at Johnstown, Licking county, commencing Saturday, August 9th. D. B. Cheney was chosen Moderator, and Wm. Whitney, Clerk. The Introductory Sermon was by Bro. John Winter, agent of the Amercian Bible Union, from Ez. XXXVII.9. Kirkersville Church was dismissed to unite with Scioto Association.
The year had been one of spiritual prosperity to the Churches. Most of them had enjoyed seasons of refreshing. One hundred and twenty-one had been added by baptism. Of these there were 18 in Alexandria; 16 in Columbus; 49 in Granville; 19 in Johnstown; 10 in Liberty, and 8 in Newark. The increase in numbers was 85. The Alexandria Church had held two series of meetings. Eld P. Kelsey had resumed the pastorate of Berlin Church. Columbus Church reported having paid for various Church purposes upwards of $2200, and had secured the payment of their Church debt. Genoa Church had preaching one half the time by Bro. Walden, and one half by Bro. Francis Green. Granville Church had enjoyed a precious revival. A large number, embracing influential citizens, and Sabbath School scholars, parents and children, had been converted and brought into the fold of Christ. Mention is made by this Church of the death of Bro. A. Sinnet, a worthy and valuable member, who was ever prompt in the discharge of his religious duties; also of Sister Lord another worthy member. In connection with these, notice is also made of the death of Sister Going, widow of Jonathan Going, D.D., President of Granville College. She was a woman of strong mind, well qualified by nature and grace for her station in life, but for many years she had been an afflicted invalid, and an inmate of the retreat for the insane at Columbus.
The Sabbath appears to have been a day of much interest. The public exercises commenced at 9 A. M., with an interesting prayer and conference meeting. At 10 a Missionary Sermon was preached by Bro. D. B. Cheney, and a collection taken for the State Convention of $24. At 1 o'clock Bro. A. M. Torbett preached, and a collection was taken for Foreign Missions of $10. Bros. Winter and Kelsey also preached at other places in the village. At 6 o'clock there was another season of conference and prayer, after which Bro. C. A. Clark preached. Sermons were also preached during the session by T. G. Lamb and A. Pratt. A collection was taken for the American and Foreign Bible Society of $16.38; and another for the Education Society of $7.92. The Circular Letter is by D. D. Walden, on Christian Consecration.
The Thirty-Fourth Anniversary was held in Sunbury, commencing Saturday, August 7th, 1852. Introductory Sermon by Bro. D. Adams, from Gal. vi, 14. J. Hall of Granville was
chosen Moderator, and H. S. Gillet and D. A Randall, Clerk. The business of the Association during the morning session was suspended, to give way for the funeral services of a young man who had been suddenly killed the day before by the falling of a tree. A sermon was preached by W. S. Roberts, of Sunbury Church. The session was a solemn and impressive one, and it is to be hoped the admonition thus given made an abiding impression upon many hearts.
The Churches were again suffering a decline from the spiritual prosperity of last year. But twenty baptisms are reported. Total number of members, 1074; increase during the year, 22. Sunbury reported their house of worship finished. Welsh Hills says: "We have been afflicted by the loss of our pastor, for fifty years a steadfast disciple; and another of our members, who had professed the religion of Christ upwards of sixty years, had been one of our deacons, wise in council, prompt in business, whose seat in the house of God was seldom vacant." In Granville Church the fruits of the last revival were giving evidence of the genuineness of their faith, and were adding much to the strength of the Church. They had raised during the year for various religious purposes over $1100. Columbus Church had raised for similar purposes over $1700.
On Sabbath a Missionary sermon was preached by T. G. Lamb, in the Baptist house, and a sermon by J. Lawrence in the Methodist house. Collections and pledges were taken at both places for the Ohio Baptist Convention, and funds raised to constitute J. Lawrence and R. B. Dickie, life members. At 9 o’clock in the morning D. A Randall lectured to the assembled Sunday schools of the vicinity on the Jewish Tabernacle, a model and drawings of which were exhibited. This lecture was continued at 5 o'clock in the evening. In view of these lectures a resolution was passed, expressing high gratification with the portions heard, and recommending the author to continue his labors in this department of Biblical knowledge, and give to give to the churches the results of his studies in such form as he might think best. The Circular Letter is a brief but useful document, by Br. Henry Carr, on the observance of the Sabbath.
The Anniversary of 1853 was held with Welsh Hills church, Wednesday and Thursday, Aug. 17 & 18. The Introductory Sermon was preached by Br. J. Goodrich from 2d Tim., 1:13.
The First Baptist Church, Delaware, 37 members, E. G. Wood, pastor united with the Association. The application of this church was accompanied by a letter from the venerable father [Jacob] Drake, expressing his great joy that a Baptist church had at last been organized in Delaware, and under such favorable prospects of success. Brother H. Davis, of Columbus, was chosen Moderator, and E. T. Rawson and A. P. Mason, of the same place, Clerks. J. Hall, of Granville, preached the Missionary Sermon, which was followed by remarks from Prof. J. Stevens, when a collection was taken up for the Missioanry Union of $21.08. Brother E. G. Wood preached a sermon in behalf of Home Missions and a collection was taken of $7.12. Brother J. L. Moore also preached in behalf of Ministerial Education, and a collection was taken of $11.30, and pledges made for $43 more.
A resolution was passed, inviting Rev. J. G. Onken, of Germany, now on a visit to this country, to hold a Missionary meeting in Columbus some time during the approaching fall, and Br. J. Stevens was requested to correspond with him on the subject and make arrangements for the meeting. This arrangement was subsequently consummated, and Br. Oncken visited Columbus, in behalf of the German Mission. Columbus church had received an accession of 33 by baptism, and Newark church of 42. The whole number of baptisms reported, 90. Total membership 1,189. Alexandria church had been destitute of a pastor since May. Berlin church had commenced building a new meeting house. Newark church, heretofore aided by the State Convention, had resolved to make an effort hereafter to sustain themselves without Missionary help. The Circular Letter was written by D. A. Randall, on the importance of the Pastoral relation, and some of the duties of church members to their pastors. The closing prayer was offered by the Moderator. The familiar hymn, “From whence doth this union arise,” was sung, and the pleasant, and interesting session brought to a close.
The Thirty-Sixth session was held with the Church in Alexandria, commencing August 12th, 1854. The Introductory Sermon was preached by Bro. H. Davis, from 2d Cor. iv.4: "The glorious gospel of Christ." Bro. O. Allen of Columbus, was chosen Moderator, and S. H. Burr and A. P. Mason, Clerks. A sermon was preached in the afternoon of the first day by N. S. Burton, and one in the evening by D. E. Thomas. On Sabbath
morning a Missionary Sermon was preached in the Baptist Church by R. B. Dickie. Bro. H. Davis preached in the Congregational Church and F. Remington in the Methodist Church. Sermons were preached in the afternoon, in different houses of worship by W. S. Roberts, O. Allen, and P. Kelsey. In the evening Bro. H. Davis preached in the Baptist house.
On Monday an interesting series of resolutions were offered on Missions, Bible Cause, Sabbath Schools, Temperance, Slavery, and one recommending a day for fasting and prayer. Interesting remarks were made on these various topics, in which a number of the brethren participated.
The letters from the churches indicate not only steadfastness, but a good degree of prosperity. Granville had shared richly in the blessing of God in the enjoyment of a precious revival season. Twenty had been added to their number by baptism. Newark had enjoyed much of the presence of God, and thirty had been baptized. Bro. J. Goodrich had resigned the pastoral charge of Sunbury Church. Welsh Hills, after passing through a season of trial the previous year, had been led out of all their troubles, and were unitedly laboring for the upbuilding of Christ's Kingdom. Seventeen converts had been added to their number. The total number of baptisms, 89. The Circular Letter was by W. S. Roberts, on the necessity of Divine influences to aid the Church in the accomplishment of her mission.
The Anniversary of 1855 was held in Berlin, September 8th, 9th, 10th. The opening sermon was by Bro. E. G. Wood, from Phil. iii. 10, 11. There was preaching in the afternoon by Bro. A. Darrow, in the evening by Bro. D. Andrews. Bro. H. Davis was chosen Moderator; S. H. Burr and A. P. Mason, Clerks. On the Sabbath at half-past 10, Bro. N. S. Burton, preached, and a collectioon was taken for O. B. Convention of $53.80. There was preaching in the Presbyterian Church by Bro. E. H. Hamlin. In the afternoon Bro. M. Stone preached, and was followed by Bro. J. S. Goodman, a returned missionary from Africa. Bro. J. R. Downer preached in the evening, and a collection was taken for the Missionary Union of $8.61.
The table of statistics reports 84 baptisms, of which 12 were in Berlin and 49 in Columbus. The total membership, 1134. The obituary notices report the death of Jacob Drake, of whom meniton was made in the preceding part of this history.
He died October 5th, 1854, in the 81st year of his age. The Minutes also record the death of Bro. Jesse Mason of Sunbury. He spent 55 years of active labor in the church of Christ -- was a constant attendant upon public worship -- a liberal contributor to the various benevolent objects supported by the denomination -- a self-denying and consistent Christian. Mention is also made of the decease of Bro. Wm. R. Crane of Newark.
Berlin Church had completed their new meeting house, and welcomed the Association to its occupancy. Delaware Church had parted with their pastor, Bro. E. G. Wood, and several valuable members had been removed by death. Granville Church had made a thorough revision in their list of members, which resulted in a large decrease in their numbers. Newark Church speak of prosperity and adversity. The former pastor, B. Thomas, had left them, and Bro. Dudley Andrews had been called to succeed him. Their strength had been diminished by death and emigration. The Circular Letter is by Bro. H. Davis, on the means by which the operations of the Spirit of God may be secured.
The Anniversary of 1856 was held with Liberty Church, at Concord, September 13th, 14th and 15th. Bro. F. O. Marsh preached the Introductory Sermon, from Rom. xii. 11. Bro. J. Hall was chosen Moderator; S. H. Burr and A. Coffman, Clerks. A sermon was preached at 3 o'clock by D. A. Randall, and one in the evening by S. H. Worcester.
On Sabbath morning, after a prayer meeting, Bro. H. Davis preached the Missionary Sermon in the Baptist meeting house, and S. B. Webster preached in the Freewill Baptist house. A collection was taken in both houses for the O. B. Convention. In the afternoon and evening, there was preaching by Bro. J. R. Downer, R. B. Dickie and J. W. Hiestand. Among the resolutions was one deprecating the worldly mindedness of Christians, mourning the absence of the Holy Spirit in our churches, and the few conversions that have taken place -- calling upon all to humble themselves before God, and by fasting and prayer, implore pardon of sin and the return of God's blessing. But 27 baptisms are reported. Of these, 1 was in Liberty, 2 in Columbus, 10 in Newark and 14 in Granville. Total menbership, 1126. Granville Church report in their letter, that during last winter and spring, they enjoyed a pleasant season of revival. Bro. S. H.
Worchester had been ordained in the Newark Church. The Circular Letter was written by Bro. J. R. Downer, on the injunction of the Apostle, "Purge out, therefore, the old leaven."
The Minutes record the death of Deacon Eli Butler of Granville, a man greatly endeared to the church and community. His piety was unassuming; his Christian walk and conversation consistent; his exertions, for the cause of Christ, untiring.
Also, sister Miriam Spellman of Alexandria, for many years a true and devoted follower of Jesus. Mention is also made of the death of Bro. Anson Hoadly of Berlin, a young man of great promise. He had but recently put on Christ by baptism. It was the consolation of his dying moments that he had received strength to follow Christ.
The Thirty-Ninth Anniversary was held in Newark, commencing September 9th, 1857. The opening sermon was by Bro. T. G. Lamb, from 2d Cor. v. 14, 15. Bro. N. S. Burton was chosen Moderator; T. G. Lamb and E. B. Turner, Clerks. A sermon was preached in the afternoon by J. L. Richmond, and a collection taken for the Ohio Baptist Education Society. A sermon in the evening by Bro. A. Pinney of Zanesville, and a collection for the O. B. Convention.
The session of Thursday commenced with an interesting prayer meeting at 8 o'clock. In addition to the ordinary business, Bro. J. R. Downer preached, and a collection was taken for Foreign Missions. Alexandria Church report the resignation of their pastor, T. G. Lamb. Berlin Church reports the death of two young sisters, M. E. Ryant and Maria E. Kelsey, whose names they mention from honor to the religion they professed. They gradually sunk away under the influence of disease, but the hope of immortality sustained them. Their death was an illustration of the power of the Christian faith to sustain the soul of the dying believer. Columbus Church record the death of Bro. Danforth E. Ball, for many years a worthy member of their church, and for about twenty-five years a successful teacher in the State Deaf and Dumb Asylum. Though himself a mute, he ever evinced a deep interest in all the affairs of the church, was a liberal contributor for the support of its pecuniary wants, and anxious for its spiritual prosperity. The Welsh Hills letter mentions the death of Bro. Thomas Evans, one of their active deacons. He was one of the pillars of their church, ardent in life, and consistent in piety. His Christian example and usefulness had endeared him to the church and community.
The absence of the cinverting influences of the Spirit in the churches was till felt. No church reports a revival of religion, and there had been but six baptisms. This was cause for deep humiliation upon the part of the churches, and of earnest prayer that the Lord would revive his work. The Circular Letter is by Bro. R. B. Dickie, on "The importance and method of studying the Holy Scriptures." ============
[From Columbus Baptist Association Minutes, 1860. These original records are in a bound volume at the Denison University Library, Special Collections and Archives, Granville, OH. - jrd]
Return to Ohio Baptist Church Histories
Return to American Church Histories
Return to Baptist History Homepage