When the host of Baptists assemble here next week for their great Convention they will be told of a mighty work that is being done by the Baptist denomination in Salem. Under the capable leadership of Rev. T. C. Keaton, pastor, the Salem Baptist Church has made rapid progress during the past year especially.
Not until about fifteen years ago did Baptists do any constructive work in Salem. Then a mission Sunday-school was started, which was fostered by the First Church of Winston.
This Sunday-school was begun in an ill-equipped log-house. Rev. Sam. F. Morton, who is now one of the most successful pastors, was one of the prime movers in this school. He nursed it from its infancy and to him is largely due the recent success at the work.
Through the strength and abiding interest of the First Baptist Church of Winston, and through the untiring efforts of a few individuals, in 1900 a neat and comfortable house of worship was built. With some added improvements, this house is still used.
On February 14, 1908, the Salem church was organized. The charter members were about one hundred. Since then the membership has increased until there are now two hundred and sixty enrolled.
The Sunday-school has an enrollment of two hundred and seventy-five. The average attendance is two hundred.
During this year a handsome and most convenient parsonage has been built. This building cost nearly three thousand dollars. This includes four large class-rooms, which are in the basement of the parsonage. The church property is now worth over five thousand dollars.
[From the Biblical Recorder, December 6, 1911. On-line edition. Formatted by Jim Duvall.]
North Carolina Baptist Histories
Baptist History Homepage