Baptist History Homepage


     Editor's Note: The following are very short histories of churches, mostly in South Carolina. The author basically gives the location of the meetinghouse, the date of constitution, a list of pastors, and a few other significant facts about the churches. They are listed below in the order that they given in the "Sketches."

Creek Baptist Church - Arrowood Baptist Church - Bethesda Baptist Church - Bivingsville Baptist Church - Beaverdam Baptist Church - Browns' Chapel Baptist Church - Buck Creek Baptist Church - Camp's Creek Baptist Church - Cedar Springs Baptist Church - Cherokee Creek Baptist Church - Clifton Baptist Church - Corinth Baptist Church - Cowpens Baptist Church - El Bethel Baptist Church - Friendship Baptist Church - Gilead Baptist Church - Goucher Creek Baptist Church - Grassy Pond Baptist Church - Macedonia Baptist Church - Mount Ararat Baptist Church - Mount Joy Baptist Church - New Pleasant Baptist Church - Pacolet Baptist Church - Pacolet Baptist Church (No. 2) - Piedmont Baptist Church - Providence Baptist Church - Sandy Springs Baptist Church - State Line Baptist Church - Unity Baptist Church - Zion Hill Baptist Church


SKETCHES OF THE CHURCHES OF
THE BROAD RIVER BAPTIST ASSOCIATION
(SC & NC).
By John R. Logan, 1887

      Creek Church is situated in Union County, S. C., near a creek called Abingdon creek from which the church, we suppose, derived its name. It is situated a few miles from Smiths' Ford, on main Broad River, and has a membership of 79 persons. It was organized mainly through the missionary labors of Elder Jno. Tollison in 1875, that being the date of the Constitution. This church has good surroundings and ample material for building up a stronghold, at this place, for the Baptist denomination. It only needs proper cultivation. Elder L. B. Vaughn was the pastor of the church in 1876, after which Elder J. Tollison again took charge in 1877, Elder J. R. Osment in 1878, Elder T. H. Mullinax was pastor in 1879 and Elder W. L. Brown is now the pastor from 1S79 to 1882. The pastors salary is reported at 875.00. J. R. Tollison, Smith's Ford, S. C., is church clerk.


[p. 557]
      Arrowood Church is situated on the Mills' Gap road four miles westerly from Cowpens battle-ground and about the same distance south-westerly from Island Ford, on main Broad River, in Polk County, X. C. It was constituted February 24th 1844, and joined the Green River Association at its session of the same year. In 1856 the Arrowood church" became a member of the Broad River Association, at her session at Sulphur Springs church, and has continued such until the present time. Since she left the Green River bodv Elder A. Padgett washer pastor until 1858, Elder J. S. Ezell till 1862, Elder A. A. McSwain in 1862 and '63, Elder J. M. Williams from 1864 to '66, Elder G. M. Webb in 1867 and '68, Elder J. M. Williams again in 1869 consecutively until 1877, and Elder J. H. Yarboro from then to the present time. (1882.) The church numbers 204 members. The present corps of deacons are R. L. Nathins, T. J. McIunney, John Clements, Jonas Vassy and Perry Carter. The present pastor is Elder A. J. Bonner, who appears to be an efficient and acceptable minister. R. L. Watkius is clerk of the church, Hicksville, N. C.
________________

      Bethesda Church is situated in Spartanburg county, S. C., about two miles from Glendale on Lawson's Fork and through the ministerial labors of Elder Thomas Weathers and others, it was organized and constituted some time in the year 1821, and at the session of the Broad River Association held the same year at Zion church in Rutherford (now Cleveland) county, N. C.. it was admitted as a member of said body, Elder Thos. Weathers, John Poole and James Haynes being her representatives. She then had a memberwhip of fiifty-eight persons, and Elder Thos. Weathers was her pastor. In 1830, Elder Abram Crow was called to the pastorate, whocontinued till 1832. From then to 1835 Elder Joshua Richards was pastor. In 1835 to '37, Elder D. Scruggs; from 1837 to '39 Elder Joshua Richards again filled the pastoral office From 1839 to '45, Elder S. Drummond, from 1845 to '48, Elder T. Dixon; from 1848 to '51, Elder J. S. Ezell; in 1851, Elder W. Lankford; from 1852 to '55. Elder J. Lee; in 1855, Elder F. W. Littlpjohn: from 1856 to '59, Elder Richard Woodruff; from 1859 to '66, Elder J. Lee; from 1866 to '68, Elder L. Vaughn; in 1869-70-71, Elder B. Bonner; in 1872, Elder W. G. Morehead; in 1873, Elder L. B. Vaugh; in 1875-76, Elder J. E. King; in 1878-79, Elder W. M. Foster: in 1880-'81, Elder J. G. Carter: in 1882, Elder W. T. Tate.

This church now numbers 77 member. Her present


[p. 558]
corps of deacons are J. J. Lee, W. C. Carter and W. N. Brown. J. C. Brown, Church Clerk, Gleudale, S. C.
________________

      Bivingsville Church is situated in Spartanburg county, S. C., on Lawson's Fork Creek, in Glendale, a factory town formerly known as Bivingsville, from which this church derives its name. It was constituted July the 4th 1870, and the same year joined in the organization of the Spartanburg Association, at New Prospect church. She remained with that body until the session of the Broad River Association in 1879, when, for reasons satisfactory to the parties concerned, she joined the Broad River body and is yet a member of the same. At that time she reported a membership of eighty persons, Elder J. S. Ezell her pastor. At the session of 182 she reported 109 members, and pastors salary $60.00. Her present corps of deacons are Hugh Thomas Wm. Thomas. J. A. Brown, Geo. T. Walker, Geo. Ward and Jas. Thomas. J. A. Brown, church clerk, Glendale, S. C.
______________________
Note. - Biviningville church is near the historic Swafford's Old Iron Works where the Whigs of 1776 gained a victory over the British Red Coats and Tories.

________________

      Beaverdam Church (Broad River) is situated on the A. L. R. R., 4 miles south of Gaffney City, Spartanburg county, S. C., and was constituted by a presbytery on the 17th day of July 1880, and the same year admitted to membership in the Broad River Association at her session at Cedar Springs church. This church when admitted had a membership of 23 persons, and had Elder A. D. Davidson as her pastor. Her present corps of deacons are J. W. Quinn and J. P. Whelchel. J. W. Quinn, Church Clerk. Gaftney City, S. C.

This little church has not reported contributions to pastor, or religious objects of any kind, as she is doubtless for existence in an infantile state.

________________

     Browns' Chapel Church is situated in Spartanburg county, S. C., near the Trough Shuals, on Pacolet River, about eight miles below Clifton Mills. It was constituted by a presbytery October the 23rd 1871, Elder L. B. Vaughn being her pastor, who, with Elder E. S. V. Bryant and others, had taken an active part in the organization of the church. At the session of the Broad River Association, the same year, at Philadelphia church, the Brown's Chapel church was admitted to membership with that body, haviug then a membership of 31 persons in fellowship. Elder L.


[p. 559]
B. Vaughn continued in the pastorate from the time of the constitution of the church till 1882. The church now numbers eighty-four members, and pays $75.00 as pastor's salary, but makes no special report of a Sunday school, or contributions for missions, or other benevolent objects now engaging so generally the attention of the churches throughout (Juris.teiidom. The following is the present corps of deacons serving this church: G. W. Brown, Sr., W. T. Brvant, S. M. C. McKinney and R. W. Spake. S. Spake, Church Clerk, Pacolet Depot, S. C..
________________

     Buck Creek Church is situated in Spartanbnrg county, S. C., near to a stream so called from which the church derives its name. It is located about half way between Paris' Bridge and Coulter's Ford on Pacolet River, distance from Spartauburg village twelve miles easterly with beautiful surroundings. This venerable church was first a member of the Bethel Association, being constituted by a presbytery in the year 1779. The Broad River Association was organized in 1800 and Buck Creek having been dismissed by letter became a constituent member thereof. Elder John Bankstone being a member of this church was called to the pastorate, and was probably its first pastor after the formation of the Broad River Association. Brethren John Cantrell, John Turner and Charles Cantrell were probably the first deacons of the Buck Creek Church.

     It does not appear from the minutes of the Association that the church had any regular pastor until Elder Zechariah Blackwell, in 1822 joined it by letter who officiated as such until 1825. In 1823 Brother Jacob Cantrell appears to have been licensed to preach by this church, who doubtless assisted Elder Blackwell in the administration of the Word. From 1825 to 1830 Elder Abram Crow was pastor, after which the church appears destitute until 1832 when Elder Berryman Hicks was chosen, who continued until 1839, or to the time of his death which took place that year. Elder J. M. Webb became pastor in 1840 and continued till 1844. Elder J. Kuykeudal having joined this church by letter served as pastor till 1846, Elder D. Scruggs then served till 1849. The church was destitute in 1849-'50. Elder D. Scruggs again served in 1851. Elder L. H. McSwain in 1852 -'53, Elder J. M. Webb in '54-'55, Elder J. G. Landrum in 56-'57-'58. Elder B. Bonner in 1859-'60-'61, Elder J. S. Ezell in '62, Elder A. Padgett in '63, Elder J. M. Webb again in '64-'65, Elder J. S. Ezell in '66 to 71, Elder B. Bonner in '71 to '78, Elder J. M. Williams in 78 to '80,


[p. 560]
Elder W. M. Foster in '80, Elder J. H. Yarboro in '81 ami Elder W. T. Tate in '82.

     This church has a membership of 226 persons and pays $100.00 to her pastor. The present corps of deacons are M. McKinney, Henry Paris, Nathan Paris, W. W. Turner, J. J. C. Ezell and F. H. Cash. W. P. G. Ezell, Church Clerk, Martinsville, S. C.

     In reviewing the list of pastors the names of some of the most gifted ministers of the Association appear, and the representatives of the church in the different sessions of the Association embrace some of the most worthy citizens of Spartanburg county. The Pooles, Ezells, Bonners, Hines, Dobbins, Linders, Cooleys, etc. It is needless to eulogize these men, for their pious walk and godly conversation, as they were well known to many. May their worthy deeds in the cause of the Master be emulated and copied by their survivors!

________________

     Camp's Creek Church is situated near a stream having that name, which runs into main Broad River, and is in Cleveland county, N. C., about two miles southerly from the old Champion's Ferry (now Settlemeyr's Ferry.) and about six miles nearly North from Gattney City on the air-line railroad.

     Owing to the loss of church records we have failed in our researches to be able to give the precise date of the constitution of this church, but we find from an examination of the minutes of the Broad River Association that at the session of 1822, at Mount Zion church, the "Camp's Creek Church" was admitted as a member of that body, which doubtless was the first opportunity she had to make application after being constituted some time in that same year. When organized the church had 37 members, and Elder B. Hicks appears to have been the first pastor. Lewis Jones, Moses Davidson and David Humphries were probably the first deacons. Elder B. Hicks continued in the pastorate until 1834 when Elder John Padgett served one year. Elder D. Scruggs then served until 1838. Elder Z. Blackwell served in 1839, Elder S. G. Hamilton in '40, Elder Joab Wilkie in '41-'42-'43, Elder D. Scruggs again in '44, Elder W. B. Padgett in '45 to '50; in '50 and '51 Elder J. S. Ezell served, in '52 and '53 Elder J. G. Kendrick was pastor, in '54 Elder T. Dixon, in '55-'56-'57 Elder J. Suttle served, in '58 Elder P. R. Elam, in '59-'60-'61-'62 Elder D. Scruggs was again pastor, in '63 Elder J. G. Kendrick again served, in '64-'65-'66-'67-'68 Elder B. Bonner was pastor, in '69-'70-'71-72-'73


[p. 561]
Elder A. A. McSwain served as pastor, in '74 Elder T. H. Mullinax, in '75-'76 Elder J. G. Carter served, in '77-'78 Elder J. E. Burgess served, in '79-'80 Elder W. M. Foster and in '81-'82 Elder A. McMahan was pastor.      The Camp's Creek Church has enjoyed good meetings, frequently and the brethren have the reputation of being hospitable to strangers. She reports a membership of J35. No report of Sunday School is made in the minutes, nor is there any report of contributions for missions or other benevolent objects.      Her present corps of deacons are D. G. Palmer, S. R. Humphries and J. E. Wood. The church clerk is J. T. M. D. Helton, Byarsville, N. C. This church is incorporated and prohibits the sale of ardent spirits within three miles of their meeting house, this fact serves to show that they have doubtless heretofore been greatly annoyed by the forces of prince alcohol. W. B. Padgett, a deposed minister, was licensed to preach by this church..
________________

     Cedar Springs Church is situated in Spartanburg county, S. C., on the Glenn Springs road, near the famous Cedar Springs, a point of interest in the history of the revolutionary war, from which the church derives its name. Its location is about four miles nearly south from Spartanburg village and about three miles south-easterly from Glendale on Lawson's Fork of Pacolet river.

     This church, agreeable to the minutes of the Association of 1861, was constituted in 1787. Its first pastor was Elder Joroyal Barnett, and the first deacons were Wm. Lancaster, Wm. Underwood and Thos. Weathers, the latter of whom afterwards became a minister. Wm. Lancaster was the clerk of the church, who was also clerk of the Association from the time of its organization until 1812, or eleven years.

     The Cedar Spring church had formerly been a member of the Bethel Association, and was dismissed therefrom to become a constituent member of the Broad River Association in its organization in 1800. It has some attractive historic features in reference to its religious progress, and revolutionary war incidents, which if fully detailed would form a. volume of much interest. Besides Cedar Springs has been for many years the seat of learning where that unfortunate class of deaf and dumb and blind have received instructions in the rudiments of the English language. The church has not only been made historically famous by these things, but more especially by reason of the many cultivated minds that have from time to time adorned its membership, and served in the various high places of trust both in the church and also in


[p. 562]
State. The names and charitable deeds of many of her numbers will not soon be forgotten, who were ever found ready to give timely assistance to every good and worthy cause, to say nothing of their unfeigned love of their church at home which appeared at all times manifest and abounding. The following ministers have from time to time had the pastoral care of this church: Elders Jo royal Barnett, H. McDougal, E. Ray, D. Scruggs, M. C. Barnett, J. G. Kindrick, J. S. Ezell, B. Bonner, M. V. B. Lankford, W. L. Brown, G. S. Anderson, J. M. C. Breaker, R. Woodruff, J. L. Vass, L. C. Ezell. Not exactly, however, in order of their names as here entered. The church does not report a Sunday school in the Minutes of the Association, nor does she report the amount of her contributions for missions or other benevolent objects. She pays her pastor one hundred dollars annually, and has a membership of 144 persons. Her present corps of deacons are Monroe Barnett, James K Finch, Washington Poole and W. F. Coggins. S. M. Bagwell, Church Clerk, Cedar Springs, S. C.
________________

     Cherokee Creek Church is situated in Spartanburg county, S. C., about seven miles from Settlemyer's Ferry and about nine miles northwest from Gaffney City on the Air-line railroad.

     This church was constituted on the 22d day of August, 1879, and the same year was admitted to membership in the Broad River Association at its session at State Line church. When constituted it had a membership of 57 persons, with Elder John Ruppe as pastor. In 1881-'82 Elder A. C. Irvin was pastor, and the church had increased to eighty-five members in fellowship, and the prospects were good for building up the cause of Christ in this hitherto neglected locality. A. B. Ruppe, church clerk, Grassy Pond, S. C.

________________

     Clifton Church is situated in Spartanburg county, S. C. in the Factory town of the same name, formerly called "Huricane Shoals," on Pacolet river, about eight miles easterly from Spartanburg village and on the South side of the air-line railroad.

     This church was constituted on the 27th day of March, 1881, by a presbytery of Elders, T. J. Taylor and J. G. Carter, and at the session of the Broad River Association held that year at Corinth Church in Spartanburg county, S. C. it was admitted as a member of said body, Bro. B. E. Pentuff being her representative, and the church then having a membership of ten persons only. Elder W. T. Tate was


[p. 563]
called to the pastorate in 1882, and the Minutes of the Association for this year show the present membership to be 93 persons and the pastor's salary $125.00.

     The deacons are R. M. Crocker, N. J. Hollifield, L. R. Lancaster, J. H. Hamrick and W. B. Sorgee. W. T. Whitaker is church clerk, Clifton, S. C.

     The prospects are very good for the building up of a strong and active church in this flourishing manufacturing town. Much is anticipated from the zealous ministerial labors of Elder W. T. Tate, who is in the prime of life and at all times manifesting a disposition to do faithful work in the Master's vineyard.

Brother B. E. Pentuff, of the Clifton Church, has been licensed to preach the gospel and is making educational preparations for the better discharge of his ministerial duties.

________________

     Corinth Church is situated in Spartanburg county, S. C., about 5 miles south from Gaffney City on the Air Line Railroad. This church was organized mainly through the ministerial labors of Elder T. K. Pursley, some time in the year 1842, and at the session of the Broad River Association held the same year at El Bethel church it was admitted to membership with that body. When this church joined the Asssociation she had twenty-one members in fellowship, and Elder T. K. Pursley was then her pastor, who continued to discharge his duties as such until 1850. Elder Thomas Curtis, D. D., served in 1850-'51, in 52-'53-'54-'55 Elder T. K. Pursley was again pastor, in 56-'57-'58 Elder J. Lee served, in 59-'60 Elder J. J. Jones, in '61 Elder J. Gibbs, in '62, Elder T. J. Campbell, in '63 Elder T. K Pursley again served, in 64-'65-'66-'67 Elder J. Gibbs again served, in '68'69-70 Elder J. K. Lee, in 72 Elder J. Lee, in 73-74 Elder John Tollison, in 76-77-78-79-'80-'81-'82 Elder John G. Carter served as pastor. Corinth Church has now a membership of one hundred and twenty-eight persons,. pays to her pastor $50.00, but does not report a Sunday school, or other benevolent objects as being fostered by her. It is hoped, however, her Lord's money is actively employed in some worthy object. The following are her present corps of deacons: Z. Philips, John Pettit and Wm. Welchel. Z. Philips, church clerk, Bowlinsville, S. C.

________________

     Cowpens Church is situated on the Air-line railroad in Spartanburg county, S. C. at the station so called, which is about ten miles southeasterly from the Cowpens battle ground, from which historic place the station and church


[p. 564]
derive their names. It is located about ten miles west of Gaffney City, a flourishing town on said railroad.

     Through the efforts and ministerial labors of Elders T. J. Taylor and J. H. Yarboro the church was organized and constituted on the 13th of August, 1878, of 34 members, the most of whom had been dismissed from other churches for this object. At the session of the Broad River Association the same year the Cowpens church was admitted to membership in that body, J. H. Yarboro being their pastor. In 1880 Elder T. J. Taylor served as pastor and in 1881-'82 Elder J. G. Carter served said church.

     The number of members now in fellowship is reported 71. The Minutes contain no report of minister's salary or other contributions to benevolent objects. The present corps of deacons are A. W. Brown, R. R. Brown and I. W. Moore. J. A. R. Wilkins, church clerk.

________________

     El Bethel Church was admitted as a member of the Broad River Association in the year 1803 at her session at New Salem Church in Rutherford county, N. C. It is probable she was constituted some time in that same year, the precise date, however, we are unable in our researches to ascertain.

     This church is situated in Union county, S. C., on the main public road leading from Star Farm to Gowdeysville surrounded by a wealthy and refined neighborhood, the population of which has the reputation of being kind and hospitable.

     It appears from the Minutes of the Association that Elder Jacob Crocker was the first pastor of this church and J. Petty, I. Guyton and A. Guyton, were among the first deacons. The church, at the time of its admission into the Association, had only 21 members in fellowship, and it does not appear that the little band of worshippers had any regular pastor until after the removal of Elder Jacob Crocker in 1828. In that year Elder W. Walker was called to the pastorate, and continued until 1834, in '34 Elder George Wilkic served in the pastoral office, and continued until '36, from that time until '47, Elder D. Scruggs served, when Elder F. W. Littlejohn served from then to '52, Elder R. P. Logan served in '52, Elder D. Scruggs again served until 56, and Elder F. W. Littlejohn again served in 57, Elder J. G. Kindrick in 58, Elder W. Curtis in '59, Elder D. Scruggs again served until '64, Elder W. Hill in '65, Elder T. W. Smith served until '70, Elder M. C. Barnett until '73, (the year of his death.) Elder W. L. Brown until '81, and Elder A. McA. Pitman in '81-'82.


[p. 565]
     The present membership of El Bethel is one hundred and eighty-nine persons, and she pays $150.00, pastor's salary. Her contributions to missions and othor benevolent objects do not appear in the Minutes of the Association. The church is engaged in Sunday school work, but does not report in the Minutes.

     The following is her present corps of deacons: A. S. Gondelock, W. L. Gondelock, G. T. Wood, J. T. Moorehead, J. D. Jeffries, S. R. Thackston, T. M. Littlejohn and J. R. Jeffries. W. L Gondelock, clerk of the church, Star Farm, S. C.

     Elder M. C. Barnett's last resting place is in El Bethel Cemetery.

________________

     Friendship Church is the oldest of any of the Broad River churches, and agreeable to the best information that we can get, was constituted by a presbytery of ministers in 1765. In 1800 the Broad River Association was organized and Friendship then belonging to the Bethel Association became a constituent member of the Broad River body and has continued in that connection ever since. The first pastor this church had after joining the Broad River Association was Elder George Brewton, a very worthy and able preacher. We mention the names of Benj. Bearden, Nathaniel Burton, John Thornton and Sand. Smith who were once deacons and members of this church in days of yore, some of whom are still represented by worthy descendants.

     There are 166 members reported as belonging (in 1882) to this ancient church, but we do not find that any Sunday School is reported in the Minutes of the Association or any amount of contributions to the different objects of associational work. We, however, are well assured that she is a working body and has been the foster mother of many pious Christians, some of whom after being baptized into her fellowship have been dismissed and joined to other churches, while many others have died and long since gone to their rewards in the celestial world, and other, yet remain to "hold the fort" and to welcome into her watch-care those who feel inclined and have heretofore neglected to enlist themselves in the cause of the Redeemer. May she continue to be a nursing mother and carry out still more fully the object of her early organization!

     Friendship we believe was the foster mother of Elder Gabriel Phillips who was licensed by her and sent out to preach the Gospel and who proved to be a bright and shining light amongst the churches.

     Elder Abram Crow, a native of Rutherford county, N.


[p. 566]
C., was for several years a member and fellow-laborer with Elder Phillips as pastor of this church. In later years Elder James Hewitt was licensed and sent out as a minister by the Friendship church, and Elders J. S. Ezell, T. Dixon, J. G. Carter and L. Lankford subsequently became pastors ofthi* church. This old church reported her centennial year at the session of the Association in 1865 (see minutes). Her location is in Spartanburg county, S. C., about 25 miles from Spartanburg village.

     Her present corps of deacons are Wm. Bennett, J. W. Bennett, A. Akin, J. J. Williams and E. M. Calvert. The clerk of the church is J. M. Smith, Rockford, S. C.

________________

     Gilead Church is situated in Union county, S. C., about one miles from Tonesville on the S. & U. Railroad, was first a member of the Bethel Association as far back as 1823; was admitted as a member of the Broad Biver Association at her session at Macedonia church in 1846, then represented by E. Palmer and D. Mitchell. The precise date of her constitution we have not from our researches been able to ascertain. We find that while she was a member of the Bethel Association the celebrated Elder Elias Mitchell and Hezekiah McDougal were a part of her membership, and labored with her in word and doctrine. When she joined the Broad River she had 71 members in fellowship, and has now (1882) 94 member. Elder J. E. Burgess is her pastor to whom she pays annually $50.00. No report of a Sunday school or contributions to missions, or other benevolent objects are found entered to her credit in the Minutes of the Association. The following ministers have been her pastors since she became a member of the Broad River Association: T. K. Pursley, Dr. F. W. Littlejohn, J. G. Kindrick, D. Scruggs, B. Bonner, M. C. Burnett, W. Lee, J. E. King, J. Tollison, W. M. Foster and J. E. Burgess.

     The Gilead church has good surroundings, amidst wealth and refinement, and has a good reputation for hospitality and kindness, especially toward all those professing to belong to the household of faith.

     Her present corps of deacons are Thos. T. Foster and Thos. J. Fowler. J. L. Ward, church clerk, Jonesville, S. C.

________________

     Goucher Creek Church is situated in Spartanburg county, S. C., about eight miles southwesterly from Gaffney City on the air-line railroad and about sixteen miles nearly east of Spartanburg village. This ancient church was formerly a member of the Bethel Association and was dismissed


[p. 567]
to become a constituent member of the Broad Biver Association when formed in the year 1800. The historians of the Association have heretofore failed to give us the date of the constitution of this church, but according to information kept and transmitted from reliable sources it was proably organized in the year 1770, and is the fourth in point of age in the original Broad River body. Friendship, Green's Creek, (now of Green River Association) and Boiling Spring {now extinct) being the oldest in the order of their names.

     The Goucher Creek church does not appear to have had any regular pastor until 1784 when Elder Joshua Richards was engaged and who continued until 1811, after which the church was destitute of a regular supply until 1820, when Hugh Moore, being an ordained minister and member of Goucher Creek became her pastor and in an irregular manner continued so for about two years, when about this time he became involved in legal difficulties and was deposed from the ministry.

     In 1829 Elder H. McDougal became pastor and in '31 Elder Joshua Richards was again chosen till '34, Elder J. Rainwaters then served until '38, Elder D.Scruggs from then to '42, Elder F. W. Littlejohn till '47, Elder T. Dixon in '48, Elder F. W. Littlejohn again served until '55, Elder B. Bonner was then chosen till '63, when Elder T. W. Littlejohn again served in '64, Elder B. Bonner again served till '71, Elder J. G. Carter then served until '73 when Elder B. Bonner served again till '79, Elder T. J. Taylor was then called to the pastorate and is serving in '82.

     The church has a membership of 198 persons, is wealthy and refined, kind and courteous towards strangers, but is not credited in the Minutes of the Association with a report of a good Sunday school, or of contributions to missions or other benevolent objects. Surely her Lord's money is not laid awav in a napkin, if so, it is hoped it will be immediately put into the hands of the exchangers, so that by the time of his coming he may receive his own with usury. The following are the percent corps of deacons, W. P. Brown, B. F. Bonner, M. W. Goforth, W. Sam. Lipscomb sind M. A. Littlejohn. B. F. Bonner, church clerk. Thickety Depot, S. C.

________________

     Grassy Pond Church is situated in Spartanburg county, S. C., on the Bonner Road about 4 miles westerly from Ellis' Ferry on Main Broad River, and about six miles nearly north from Gaffney City on the Air Line railroad. A presbytery was convened at this place on February 9th, 1879, and the Grassy Pond Church was constituted according to


[p. 568]
the form and usages of the Baptist Denomination, and at the session of the Broad River Association held the same year at State Line church, she was admitted to membership in said body. Elder W. L. brown was called to the pastorate and J. R. Ellis, A. C. Robbs, Thomas McCraw and J. Jones were chosen deacons. W. C. S. wood was chosen church clerk.

     This church when constituted numbered only 20 persons, and now has an increased membership of 48 persons, and had the entertainment of the session of 1882, which they did gracefully and bountifully to the complete satisfaction of all who attended. Elder W. M. Foster was called to the pastorate in 1880 and served through the years of '81 and '82, and is an efficient and worthy pastor. We are glad to note the fact that this new church evinces a disposition to go forward in the discharge of her duties in reference to all church work, while she appears courteous and kindly affectionate towards strangers who visit their meetings.

     May she prove successful in contending for "the form of sound words," and "the faith once delivered to the saints." which is doubtless, to some extent, being opposed in her immediate vicinity. "There is a way which seerneth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death." Proverbs 14:12.

________________

     Macedonia Church is situated in Spartanburg county, S. C., about fourteen miles from Spartanburg city and about five miles from Cowpens on the Air-line railroad. This church was after being constituted in 1820 admitted as a member of the Broad River Association at her session at Mountain Creek of the same year, Jonathan Guthrie (then a layman) and Samuel Guthrie being her representative. She had then a membership ot seventy-two persons. The aforesaid Jonathan Guthrie was soon after licensed to preach the gospel by Macedonia, and became her pastor in 1822 and continued in that connection until the time of his defection in 1830. The church very properly labored with him and through associational advice and co-operation finally deposed him from the discharge of ministerial work as a Baptist minister.

     After her troubles with her truant and hetrodox pastor the church had the good fortune to engage the services of that worthy man of God Elder Phillip Ramsour who served them as pastor from 1831 to'37, during which time much was accomplished in restoring harmony to the disaffected. Elder B. Hicks was afterwards engaged in 1839 and continued in the pastorate until '42, Elder S. Morgan succeeded him till '44, Dr. F. W. Littlejohn then served in '44, Elder D. Scruggs then served in 45, Elder C. E. W. Lindsey in '46 to 49, Elder J. S.


[p. 569]
Ezell till '52.Dr. F. W. Littlejohn again till '53, Elder J. S. Ezell again until '55, Eder J. Lee until '62, Elder J. S. Ezell again to '63. Elder A. Padgett till '65, Elder W. B. Padgett until '66, Elder A. Padgett again till '67, Elder W. Hill until '68, Elder J. F. Gibbons till '72, Elder J. G. Carter till '74, Elder B. Bonner till '75, Elder J. S. Ezell again till '76, Elder A. D. Davidson to '77, Elder W. G. Moorhead till '79, Elder A. D. Davidson till '80, Elder J. E. Burgess till '82. When this long pastoral list is closely scanned it will be seen that some of the ablest and best of the Broad River ministers have been called to do pastoral work for this church through a series of three score years with what profit God alone, with those better acquainted than we are, can tell. He has said, however, that His word shall not return to Him void as to the accomplishment of the object lie has in sending it broadeast through the length and breadth of His moral vineyard. We have no doubt therefore that everything said and done will be fully utilized if not already then in the far distant future.

     The Macedonia church notwithstanding her internal troubles with one she fondly hoped would prove a shining light to the Christian cause and an honor to her that gave him the necessary credentials to make him useful has yet other things to glory in. She has had many precious and reviving seasons from the presence of the Lord and is blessed with that peace and harmony so desirable to the hearts of Christians, of that she doubtless will glory.

     The membership of Macedonia is 128 persons. Her present corps of deacons are A. Harris, L. B. Davis, Wm. D. Byars and P. H. Byars. P. H. Byars is reported church clerk, Allgood, S. C.

________________

     Mount Ararat Church is situated in Union county, S. C., about six miles south easterly from Gaffney City on the Air Line railroad, and three miles west of Main Broad River, in the vicinity of Draytonsville. It was constituted by a Presbytery some time in the year 1826, and admitted to membership in the Broad River Association the same year at its session at Macedonia church, having a membership at that time of 31 persons. Isaac Peeler, Joseph Guyton, and James Dunn were among the first deacons of the Ararat church, and W. W. Guyton was the church clerk.

     Elder W. Walker was the first pastor, who continued until 1831. Elder J. G. Laudrum succeeded him the next year, Elder B. Hicks the next three years (till 1834), Elder George Wilkie next served until '38, Elder E. M. Chaffin


[p. 570]
the next year, Elder T. K. Pursley served till '44, Elder S. Morgan till '46, Elder T. Dixon then served till '47, (In 1847, '48'49 the church had n pastor.) In 1850-'51-'52-'53 Elder J. S. Ezell was pastor, in '54' Elder J. Suttle served, in '55 Elder F. W. Littlejohn, in '56, '57, '58 Elder M. Mullinax, in '59 Elder J. J. Jones, in '60 J. Lee, (in '61-'62 no pastor), in '63 Elder Elder J. S. Ezell again was pastor, in '65-'66-'67-'68 Elder J. Gibbs, in '69-'70-'71 J. Carter, in '72 Wm. Curtis, in '73-'74 Elder John Tollison, in '75 J. G. Carter was again pastor, in '76-'77-'78-'79-'80 Elder T. J. Taylor was called to the pastorate, and in '81-'82 W. L. Brown was the pastor.

     The membership of this church has increased to 137. The present corps of deacons are Jacob Guyton, Chester Stacy, R. Elmore, G. W. McCowan, T. J. Patrick, and W. D. Alexander. J. M. Peeler, church clerk, Pine Grove, S. C.

________________

     Mount Joy Church is situated in Union County, S. C., about five miles from Skull Shoals on Pacolet and about ten miles from Union Court House.

     This church was mainly organized through the ministerial labors of Elder T. J. Taylor and constituted November 30th, 1876, and at the session of the Broad River Association the same year at Friendship church it was admitted as a member of said body, having at that time a membership of 23 persons. In 1878 Elder T. J. Taylor was called to the pastorate and has continued in the place ever since.

     The following is the present corps of deacons: Robert Little, Daniel Garner and A. A. Gault. J. H. McKissick is church clerk, Kelton, S. C.

     The church now numbers 61 members, and in the absence of any report of Sunday school or contributions for missions or other benevolent objects,we feel sure with such a pastor the church will prove a working body in the cause of the Master.

________________

     New Pleasant Church is situated in Spartanburg county, S. C., near Cowpens battle-ground. This church was constituted on October 26th, 1878, by a Presbytery consisting of Elders W. D. Lancaster, J. S. Ezell and B. Bonner, and had a membership of 42 persons in fellowship with Elder W. D. Lancaster as pastor, and in 1879, at the session of the Broad River Association, it was admitted as a member of said body. In 1881-'82 Elder A. C. Irvin was in the pastorate, and the membership was increased to 46, and the prospects very good for a still larger and growing interest.


[p. 571]
     There is ample material in the surroundings of this church to build up a large and self-sustaining body. The present corps of deacons are J. H. Ezell and J. M. Price. J. H. Ezell is church clerk, Ezell, S. C.
________________

     Pacolet Church is situated in Union county, S. C., at or near the Skull Shoals on Pacolet River, from which stream the church derives its name. In our researches we find this church an ancient organization, constituted previous to 1804, and a member first of the Bethel Association with which it remained until the year 1818, when it was addmitted into the Broad River Association. The precise date of its constitution we are unable to ascertain. Elder Jacob Crocker appears from the Minutes to have been its first pastor after joining the Broad River Association, and A. Summerford, I. McKissick, Nathan Pettit and Thompson Clayton were probably the first deacons. Elder Jacob Crocker (assisted by Elder Isaac McKissick part of the time) supplied the church until 1825. Elder Isaac McKissick was then pastor for 1826, when Pacolet church and Head of Enoree were dismissed that year to join other bodies. She then does not appear in the list of Broad River churches until the session of 1844 at Providence church, when she was again admitted to membership in the Broad River body, dismissed then from the Bethel Association with Elder J. G. Kindrick, her worthy pastor who still continued to serve as her pastor (assisted by Elder M. Mullinax several years) until 1853 when Elder M. Mullinax served for '54, after which Elder J. G. Kindrick resumed his pastoral labors until '63, Elder M. Mullinax again serving in '64, Elder J. G. Kindrick then resumed pastoral work again and served until '72 and in this year he finished his labors here upon earth which had been very abundant, and went to his reward above. Elder W. G. Moorehead was the successor of Elder J. G. Kindrick for 1872, Elder W. L. Brown in '73-'74-'75-'76 was pastor, Elder T. J. Taylor in '77-'78-'79-'80, Elder A. McA. Pitman in '81-'82.

     Pacolet church has a membership of 149 persons and reports minister's salary $225.00. She lacks system in reporting Sunday schools and contributions for missions and other benevolent objects, which should be done in the Minutes of the Association.

     The following is the present corps of deacons, A. F. Kendrick, J. J. Kendrick, E. Wood and J. H. Spears. I. J. Spears, church clerk, Skull Shoals, S. C.

________________


[p. 572]
     Pacolet Church (No. 2) is situated in Spartanburg county, S. C., on the S. & U. railroad in the little town of that name about 11 miles easterly from Spartanburg1 village, and near the Skull Shoals on Pacolet river.

     This church is said to have been constituted March 25th, 1871, with 10 members, but does not appear from the Minutes of the Association to have been separately represented until the session of the Broad River Association in 1880, it then had 62 member reported but no pastor till '82, when the membership of that year was reported at eighty-seven, and Elder L. Vaughn is the pastorate at a salary of $75.00. The following are the deacons of this church: Elijah Barnett, Elijah P. Brown, Wm. Coleman, T. C. Brown, W. D. Wilkins. G. W. Brown, church clerk, Pacolet Depot, S. C.

     Note: In the absence of more full information, we state that tlie original Pacolet church, by reason of a railroad location near it, divided into Nos. 1 and 2, as a matter of convenience, affording the opportunity to establish a church in the railroad town for those desiring it, while those wishing to remain with the Old or first organization were permitted to do so. Two churches instead of one was the result, which we hope may tend to the furtherance of the gospel of Christ.

________________

     Piedmont Church is situated on the Island Ford road 31/2 miles northerly of Coulter's Ford bridge on Pacolet river, and about the same distance south westerly of Cowpens battle-ground in Spartanburg county, S. C. This church was constituted August 24th, 18__, by a Presbytery consisting of Elders W. T. Tate and A. J. Bonner, and united with the Broad River Association at its session the same year at Zion Hill church. Its present corps of deacons are J. F. Quinn, J. C. Bonner and A. B. Martin. Elder A. J. Bonner is the pastor now in office.

________________

     Providence Church is situated in Spartanburg county, S. C., on the old Deer's Ferry road about 11/2 miles nearly north of Gaffney City on the Air Line railroad, and about 6 miles southerly from Ellis' Ferry on Main Broad River.

     This church was constituted sometime in the year 1803, and was admitted to membership in the Bioad River Association at her session the same year at New Salem church in Rutherford county, N. C. It does not appear that she had any regular pastor until 1812, when Elder Joshua Richards formerly a member and pastor of Goucher Creek church joined by letter, and served in that capacity until 1840. Elder Spencer Morgan was licensed to preach by this church in 1830, and doubtfess labored with Elder Richards a portion


[p. 573]
of the time. In 1840 he was called to the pastorate himself, and tilled the place until '44, when Elder T. K. Pursley served in '45, from then to '47 Elder Spencer Morgan again served, from then to '50 Elder D. Scruggs was pastor, from then to '53 Elder F. W. Littlejohn served, from then to '56 Elder Joseph Suttle, from then to '58 Elder T. Curtis, D. D., was in the pastorate. In 1858-'59 Elder P. R. Elam, from then to '64 Edler E. A. Crawley, D. D., served this church, from then to '66 Elder Wade Hill, from then to '67 Elder J. S. Ezell, from then to '68 Elder B. Bonner served, from then to '69 Elder L. C. Ezell, from then to '72 Elder J. G. Carter, from then to '76 Elder T. H. Mullinax, from then to '79 Elder P. R. Elam again served, from then to '80 Elder J. G. Carter again served, in '80-'82 Elder G. P. Hamrick was pastor.

     The membership of this venerable church is now 257 persons. She pays pastor's salary of eighty-two dollars(?) Makes no report of contributions to missions or other benevolent objects. We, however, know that she is engaged in Sunday school work, but makes no report in the Minutes of the Association. The present corps of deacons are P. O. Lemmons. B. F. Camp, church clerk, Gatthey City, S. C.

     The Providence church has very good surroundings, many of the members are intelligent well-to-do agriculturists. They are a church going and church loving people, always hospitable to strangers, while humbugs or pretenders, are generally avoided by them without regard to outside appearances. Many precious souls have passed through this church to their heavenly reward, while their zeal in winning souls to the cause of the Master seems in no way yet abated.

     The following representative names once belonging to this church will long be remembered by many of the present membership; The Camp's, Gaffney's, Robertson's, Gordon's, Daffern's, Amos', Morgan's, Cooper's, Byars', Turner's, Sarratt's, etc., most of whom have crossed over the river into the promised land, and are now basking under the shade of the paradisaical trees in the haven of rest.

________________

     Sandy Springs Church is situated in the northeast corner of Polk county, N. C., about one-half mile south of Mills Gap road and on the head waters of Buck Creek near Shield's X Roads and was constituted by a presbytery in February 1858, and the same year joined the Green River Association, and remained a member of that body until the session of the Broad River Association held at Arrowood church in 1872 when she became a member of said body,


[p. 574]
having n membership of 70 persons and Elder A. Padgett as her pastor. In 1874 Elder W. D. Lancaster was chosen the pastor, and in '75 Elder A. D. Davidson was pastor for that year. In 1876 Elder W. D. Lancaster was attain called to the pastorate and is now (1882) in the pastoral office. The church has now n membership of 114 persons who appear to be a devoted and faithful hand of worshippers.

     Her present corps of deacons are S. D. Splawn, J. T. Splawn, J. K. Prince and B. B. Lancaster. J. E. Prince church clerk, Sandy Springs, N. C.

     We are unable to learn from the Minutes of the Association whether this church is engaged in Sunday school work or not, as no report is made from her of such work,or of contributions to missions or other benevolent objects. It is hoped these important matters are being attended to in the church's own peculiar way, and not by any means entirely neglected.

________________

      State Line Church is situated in Spartanburg county, S. C., a short distance south of the North Carolina State line which gives rise to its name. It is northwesterly of Gaffney City about six miles and southwesterly from Settlemeyer's Ferry on Main Broad River about three miles.

      The original State Line church was constituted in 1796, and was one of the constituent members of the Broad River Association when organized in 1800 this old church first of the Bethel Association and the nursing mother of Drurv Dobbins and Berryman Hicks had been disbanded sometime previous to 1824, and in that year a reconstruction or remodeling of the church took place a short distance from where the original church was located, and at the session of the Broad River Association in that year at Head of First Broad River church the reconstructed body was admitted to membership in said Association having a membership of 29 persons with Elder Zechariah Blackwell as their pastor who continued until 1831 to serve in that capacity. Elder Joshua Richards succeeded him and was the pastor until '34. when Elder Drurv Scruggs, a nephew of Elder Drurv Dobbins (who was a member of this church and had been licensed and ordained to the work of the ministry by her) was called to serve as pastor. He continued until 1854, from then till '58 Elder W. Curtis, L.L.D. served, from then to '68 Elder P. Scruggs again served, (his pastorate ending with his troubles in said church on a charge of immoral conduct, by reason of which his deposition from the ministry resulted.) Elder V. Curtis served the church in 1864, Elder J. M. Williams served from '65 to '68, Elder A. McMahan served in '68 to '73, Elder A. A. McSwain from '73 to '74, Elder A. D. Davidson from '74 to '76, from '76 to '77 Elder J. G. Carter served, in '77 to '78 Elder J. E. Burgess, in '78 to '79 Elder J. H. Yarboro, in '79 to '82 Elder A. McMahan was pastor. This church has now a membership of 208 persons, and pays to her pastor a salary of $50.00. Her present corps of deacons are R. McCraw, Jas. Philips, T. Vassy, K. C. Watkins. J. T. Vassy, M. B. Scruggs. J. T. Wood, clerk, State Line, S. C. No report is published in Minutes of Sunday school work, or contributions for missions or other benevolent objects. Still we doubt not that she is laboring in some way to build up the waste places of Zion.

________________

      Unity Church is situated in Union county, S. C. was a member of the Bethel Association as far back as 1823, and joined the Broad River Association in 1842, having a membership at that time of 45 persons with Elder R. 1'. Logan pastor. Through aid of the Association Unity has been built up so that she numbers 103 members, and is so far self-sustaining now as to be able to pay her pastor's salary of 840.00. This feeble church has had ministerial aid from quite a number of preachers, Elder R. P. Logan labored with them till 1845, from '47 to '49 Elder Madison Mullinax was pastor, in '49-'50-'51 Elder J. Newland served, in '52-'53 Elder J. S. Ezell, '55-'56 Elder M. Mullinax again served, in '57-'58 Elder J. L. Harris, in '68 Elder J. F. Hullender, in 71 Elder W. G Morehead served, in 73-74-75 Elder John Tollison, 76 Elder T. J. Taylor, in 77 Elder .John Tollison again served, in 78 Elder M. Mullinax again served, and in 79-'80-'8l-'82 Elder T. H. Mullinax served in the pastorate. We learn that through the aid given this church by the Broad River Association, in missionary operations, it is now able to sustain itself, and render good service to the Master, and we therefore suggest that a good Sunday school be organized, and that all of the benevolent objects of the Association be aided by the church according to her ability, then will her prosperity be assured. The present corps of deacons are W. Neal. J. L. Huffman, church clerk, Hickory Grove, S. C.

________________

      Zion Hill Church is situated in Spartanburg county, S. C, about 3 miles southwesterly from the town of Clifton on Pacolet river, and on the south side of the Air Line railroad, about 3 miles east of Spartanburg village.

      This church was constituted by a Presbytery consisting of Elders J. G. Landrum and Warren Drummond, with several deacons from other churches, on March 14th, 1840. and was admitted to membership in the Broad River Association at its session the same year at Concord church in Rutherford county, N. C., having 37 members in fellowship, and Elder W. Drummond in the pastorate. Since thou Elder T. K. Pursley served as pastor from 1844 to '47. Elders Thomas and Wm. Curtis preached for this church in 1848, 1851, '52-'53, in '54 Elder A. Padgett served, in '55-'56. Elder J. Lee, in '57 to 60, Elder R. Woodruff, in '60 Elder F. W. Littlejohn, in '61, Elder David Billiard, in '62, Elder L. Vaughn, in '63 Elder W. Curtis, from '65 to 68 Elder L. Vaughn, from '69 to 72 Elder M. V. B. Lankford, from '72 to '77 Elder J. M. Williams, from '78 to '81 Elder J. E. Burgess, in '81-'82 Elder J. G. Carter.

      The Zion Hill church has now a membership of 71 persons, and is becoming an energetic and working body. She reports pastor's salary at $30.00; no report, however, is made in the Minutes of the Association of Sunday school work, or contributions to missions or other benevolent objects. The church doubtless has her own peculiar methods of working for the Master. Her present corps of deacons are John Coen, James Wood, H. J. Lolesby, Marshal Kirby, and G. W. Ally. Janus Wood, church clerk, Spartanburg, S. C.

      Elder E. McAbee was licensed and ordained to the ministry by this church in June, 1841.

============

[From John R. Logan, Sketches, Historical and Biographical, of the Broad River and King's Mountain Baptist Associations, (NC) From 1800 to 1882, 1887. Document from Google Books. Scanned and formatted by Jim Duvall.]



North Carolina Baptist Histories
Baptist History Homepage