The First Baptist Church of Versailles was organized previous to the year 1842, (date unknown) and first worshipped in the old property, known now as the "Miss Phoebe Young property," on Morgan street, the Rev. Josiah Creath then being pastor, under whose leadership all the members save two, went off with the new movement, known as the "Disciple Denomination," taking the property with them.
The present church was constituted by the Rev. J. M. Frost, Sr., the Rev. Josiah Leak and others in 1842, in the old Presbyterian church building on Morgan street, (now known as the old Ed. Woolridge property) with twenty members, first constituted the church namely: Chas. Bradley and wife, Mariah Bradley, Elizabeth P. Bradley, B. C. Bradley and Mrs. Emily Winter, B. Frank Skerlock, Jno. R. Peters and wife, Rev. Josiah Leak and wife, H. B. Wayland, R. R. Craig and wife, Ann H. Craig, Geo. Twyman, Sr., Rebecca Edwards and two others.
The church next worshipped for two years in the lower room of the Masonic Hall on Morgan street, at a rent of $50 per annum; then with considerable difficulty, secured the consent of the County Court to worship in the Court-house for two years, after which, they constructed their first church edifice in 1846.
The following is a list of pastors:
Rev. Josiah Leak, the first pastor for one year, preaching one Sunday in each month. Rev. John L. Waller, pastor for one year, preaching one Sunday afternoon in each month. Rev. W. S. Bradus [Broaddus] pastor for two years, preaching two Sunday afternoons in each month. Rev. Cad Lewis, pastor from 1848 to 1865. Rev. McKee (supply for several months). Rev. A. F. Baker, pastor until 1872. Rev. A. B. Miller, pastor from 1872 to 1876, preaching every second, fourth and fifth Sundays and every Sunday night. Rev. J. H. Butler, pastor from 1880 to 1882. Rev. J. S. Kirtley, pastor from 1883 to 1889. Rev. Peter Goldsmith, pastor from 1889 to 1890. Rev. Paul V. Bomar, pastor from 1891 to 1896. Rev. R. L. Bowmam, pastor from March 21, 1897.
The present church edifice was constructed during the pastorate of Rev. J. S. Kirtley, at a cost of $8,000, and dedicated by W. H. Felix, July 20, 1884.
[From The Baptist Argus, August 18, 1898, p. 12. Scanned and formatted by Jim Duvall.]
More on Woodford County Histories
Baptist History Homepage