HISTORY OF THE FIRST CHURCH BAPTIST
The First Baptist Church in Georgetown, Kentucky was organized in 1810, by a small group of white Baptists who met in the old Court House. Rev. George Briggs presided and pastored followed by Rev. Theodore Bouldware. The church prospered and many members were added by baptism. In 1815, a meeting house was built on Jefferson Street, facing northward, just above the Big Spring, a very beautiful site. During the slavery period, it was customary for slaves to worship in a specific place within the white congregation. Records from 1837-1855, show that the Georgetown Baptist Church was one of the first to receive slaves by baptism as members and as preachers and exhorters of their own race. They approved and licensed them. Various members were appointed to supervise them.
In 1840, Dr. Howard Malcom, D.D., was the Pastor of Georgetown Baptist Church and the President of Georgetown College. During his tenure, a beautiful new brick church was erected on Hamilton Street. The relocating congregation gave the black members of the congregation a lease for ninety-nine years on the original site, providing it be used for a place of worship. (Deed Book #8, pg. 466). On July 16, 1956, a clear deed of transaction was granted by Rev. Dan C. Moore and the Trustees of the Georgetown Baptist Church to Rev. W. R. Brown, Pastor and the Trustees of First Baptist Church. A special service was held and both congregations were inspired.
Associational records show Revs. London Ferrell, James Monroe and Harry Evans as ministers of the then First African Baptist Church. However, the first official pastor was Rev. George W. Dupee (1851-1862). Born of slave parents, while pastoring the church, he was put on the block at the Court House and sold. Rev. William Pratt and others from Lexington bought him and set him free. He divided his time between this church and Pleasant Green Baptist Church, Lexington, Kentucky. The older part of the existing edifice was erected during the pastorate of Rev. Reuben Lee (1862-1876) at a cost of $8,250.00. The succession of pastors that followed are: Revs. R. H. Hoffman (1876-1878), J. R. Dudley (1880-1887), E. J. Anderson (1887-1898), George Moore (1899-1904), Rufus Henry Porter (1904-1910), William Brown (7-1910), Thomas L. Ballou(1910-1912), A. W. Nix (1914-1918), J. H. Parker (1920-1921), Edward H. Smith (1921-1923), Harrison Nutter (1923-1947), E. B. Dunbar (1948-1955), William H. Brown (1955-1961), Thomas D. Johnson (1961 -1966), Leon H. Mclntyre (1967-1975), Curtis E. Dubose (1975-1978), Clarence B. Brown (1979-1982) and the present Pastor since February 1983, T. D. Stubblefield.
Over the years, First Baptist Church has been blessed by God with strong spiritual leadership; pastors and deacons. Four churches in the community trace the historical roots to First Baptist Church. First Baptist Church has given tangible support to the district, state and national work while maintaining a spiritual presence in the local community. The General Association of Kentucky Baptists held annual sessions here on August 13,1872, August 17,1887, August 15, 1890 and August 17, 1916.
The church continues to experience unprecedented growth having added over sixty new members during the last two years. The educational annex and sanctuary renovation completed in 1987 is now experiencing crowding. Through aggressive outreach, such as the weekly radio broadcast aired on Christian Radio WJMM.F.M. 106.3, the church continues to narrow the distance between Georgetown and outlyi areas. Christian education is at the heart of the church's ministry; equipping of disciples through Sunday School, Bible Study and Training for Service continues to empower the church to move toward the ideal of being a local church with a global mission that is Spirit directed, Bible centered and family oriented.
[Sesquicentennial History of First Baptist Church, 1992. Document from the Scott County Public Library.]
Scott County Baptist Histories
Baptist History Homepage