Chapter XVIII - Extracts from the Records of Long Run Association.
The first meeting of the Long Run Association was held at Long Run Meeting House, Jefferson County, September 16 and 17, 1803. The Introductory Sermon was preached by John Taylor, from [I]Corinthians 15:58. James Dupuy was chosen Moderator, and William Ford, Clerk. Letters were read from the following churches:NAMES MEMBERS NAMES MEMBERS Beargrass, 67 Plum and Buck Creek, 58 Brashear's Creek, 101 Six Mile, 108 Chenoweth's Run, 41 Eighteen Mile, 82 Fox Run, 27 Corn Creek, 65 Buck and Elk Creek, 149 Rock Lick, 37 Beech Creek, 151 Burk's Branch 23 Harrod's Creek, 138 Floyd's Fork, 36 Long Run, 37 Cane and Buck Run, 58 Salt River, 134 Little Mount 52 Ridge, 5 Sulphur Fork, 15 Tick Creek, 107 South Long Run, 40 Silver Creek, 47 Lick Branch, 40Total, 24 churches. 1619 Members.
Two churches, Port William [Carrollton] and East Floyd's Fork, were admitted to the Association.
It was unanimously agreed that this Association be constituted on the Philadelphia Baptist Confession of Faith, excepting something contained in the third and fifth articles, if construed so as to make God the author of sin. Also in the 31st article, respecting laying hands on newly baptized persons, that the using or not using that ceremony be no bar to fellowship. And that an oath before a magistrate be not considered a part of religious worship as contained in the 24th article.
Appointed the annual meetings of the Association on the first Saturday in September.
1804 - Four churches were admitted, Drennon's Creek [now Newcastle], Bluestone, Twin's, and Drennon's Ridge.
1805 - One church admitted, Buffalo Kick.
1806 - Two churches received, South Benson and Flat Rock.
1807 - Two churches received, Crooked Creek [Indiana territory], and Indian Fork of Six Mile creek.
Query - from Salt River Church. Is it consistent with good order for the Baptist churches of our Union to invite those preachers to preach among us who have withdrawn from us on account of slavery?
Answer. It is considered imprudent, (under the present state of things) to intermeddle therewith.
1810 - Five newly constituted churches were received, White's Run, Plum Creek, Little Flock, Knob Creek, Indian Creek.
1811 - Three received: Beech Ridge, Upper Blue River, Lower Blue River. Dismissed six churches to Silver Creek Association, Ia. [IN], namely: Silver Creek, Crooked Creek, Knob Creek, Indian Creek, Upper Blue River, and Lower Blue River.
Query from Harrod's Creek. Is it not advisable that the ministers belonging to the churches of this Association visit the churches around, and preach to them once a year?
Answer. Yes, so far as ministering brethren will voluntarily engage in this good work. The following ministers gave their consent to put in practice the above. Elders John Taylor, Joshua Rucker, Benjamin Allen, William Kellar, Geo. Waller, Abraham Cook, Allen McQuire, James McQuade, William Hickman, Philemon Vawter, Daniel Robbins, and William McCoy.
The request of Brother David Benedict considered, and the churches advised to insert the names of ordained preachers in capitals, and licensed preachers in italics. The Association requests Brother John Taylor to give Brother Benedict all the information in his power in regard to the churches.
1812 - Two churches received, Goshen and Dover.
Query - from Burk's Branch Church. What shall be done with a black member, having his wife taken from him, and removed to a distant part, in case he marries another.
Answer. We advise that churches in such cases should act prudently and tenderly towards that afflicted people.
1813 - Received two churches, Flat Creek and Patten's Creek.
1814 - Admitted Cane Run Church.
1815 - A church in Louisville, composed of 22 members, applied for admission and was received.
Dismissed Salt River Church.
A letter from Luther Rice was received on the subject of Foreign Missions, and agreeably to a request in said letter, Brother George Waller is appointed a Corresponding Secretary for the purpose of obtaining such information from the Board of Missions as may be necessary to diffuse through the Association. The pamphlets entitled "Missionary Reports" were distributed among the churches and paid for.
Agreeably to a proposition made by Brother Isaac McCoy on the subject of Missionary preaching, the following brethren, Wm. Ford, Wm. Kellar, Robert Tompkins, Zacheus Carpenter, Isaac Forbis, John Jones, and James Bartlett, were appointed a committee, a majority of whom shall constitute a quorum, whose duty it shall be to open subscriptions and receive contributions, which they shall appropriate according to their wisdom for the support of Missionaries on our western frontier; and the said committee shall seek for such ministers as they may deem qualified for such services, and request them to visit those settlements on our frontiers as are most destitute of preaching.
1816 - Dismissed three churches, McCool's Bottom, White's Run, and Goshen. Brother George Waller continued as our Corresponding Secretary with the Baptist Board of Foreign Missions.
The Committee on Domestic Missions made report of their proceedings, stating that $209,06 had been received by them for the support of Missionary preaching, and that $63,24 still remained in the Treasurer's hands inappropriate, which sum the Association agreed should be appropriated to the support of Missionary preaching on our western frontier.
Query from the church at Indian Fork: "Is there any scripture authority for ordaining a deacon, if his work is a temporal one?"
Answer. We think the ordination of a presbytery unnecessary, the setting them apart by the church being sufficient.
1817 - Dismissed four churches to join the Franklin Association, namely, Six Mile, Indian Fork, Buffalo Lick, and Beech Creek.
1818 - Admitted two churches, North Six Mile and Union Spring. A letter from the Baptist Board of Foreign Missions, and also from the Kentucky Baptist Mission Society, were read, and a correspondence with each directed to be continued by our Corresponding Secretary, Brother George Waller.
Resolved, That we advise the churches composing this Association to make preparation against our next for aiding the Missionary cause, so far as it relates to the instruction of Indiana.
1819 - Admitted four churches, Shelbyville, Pigeon Fork, Mt. Moriah, and Hunter's Bottom.
Dismissed Flat Creek to join Franklin Association.
1820 - Admitted Hopewell Church, Henry county.
1821 - Dismissed three churches, Hunter's Bottom, Hopewell, and Drennon's Ridge.
The minutes record the death of Hinson Hobbs, who died August, 14, 1821, in his 49th year. He was a zealous preacher for twenty-three years. Also Arthur Turner, died January 8, 1821, aged 70. He had been a preacher about 50 years.
1822 - Query from Drennon's Creek Church: "What ought to be done with a church member who continues to meet with the Freemasons in their Lodges?"
Answer. We believe it is wrong for a member of the Baptist church to be a member of the Masonic Lodge, and if they cannot be reclaimed, exclude them
1823 - Elder Silas Garret died April 11, 1823.
1824 - Dismissed East Fork Church to a new Association.
Query from Dover Church: "Does the Association, from the face of Scripture, consider that a man who puts away his wife, or a woman who puts away her husband, is an adulterer or an adulteress, although a bill of divorce be obtained?"
Answer. We know of no rule by which to judge of what constituted the crime of adultery, except the Holy Scriptures, in which we read that (Matthew xix:9,) "Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery. And whoso marrieth her that is put away, doth commit adultery." And we are of opinion that an act of the Legislature of the State cannot justify a course of conduct before God, which has been condemned by our blessed Saviour. Wherefore, if an individual should obtain a divorce for any other cause than that specified by the Bible, and marries another, he is guilty of adultery, (see also Matthew 5:32; Luke 16;18; Mark 10:11-12.)
1826 - In answer to the queries from the Louisville and Shelbyville churches, we now say, after having referred those queries to the churches, that seventeen out of twenty-two report in favor of a "Declaration of Faith," and we disavow any authority over the Book of God, believing it is the only directory of our faith and practice; but in accordance with the answers of the churches, we consider it necessary in order to unity and purity in the churches, that we have a written declaration of our faith.
In reply to the request from King's and Chenoweth's Run churches, respecting a revival of the Philadelphia Confession of Faith, we answer, that having lived happily for more than twenty years, we think it improper at this time to intermeddle with it.
1827 - Received the newly constituted church at Fish pool.
1828 - Admitted three newly constituted churches - Taylorsville, Floyd's Fork, and Hopewell.
Elder James McQuade died May 28, aged 67.
1830 - In answer to requests from two of our churches that we advise them of their duty in relation to those who support Campbellism, we reply, that this Association was constituted on the Philadelphia confession of Faith as an expression of our views of the doctrines of the Bible, and as it is one of the plainest dictates of sober reflection, that while we continue members of the body we should maintain the principles of its existence, and as the writings of Alexander Campbell are in direct opposition to the existence and general dictates of our constitution, we therefore advise our brethren that they discountenance those writings, and all those who support that course of rebellion against the principles of our associational existence; and we further advise our brethren, that they exercise great tenderness in relation to those among us who think differently from us, remembering that as we are in the flesh, we are at best imperfect creatures.
Appointed the Saturday before the second Lord's day in November as a day of humiliation, fasting, and prayer.
1833 - Admitted a newly constituted church at Rollington, (dissolved in 1836.)
1834 - Admitted two churches, Mount Pleasant and Bethlehem.
1835 - Mention is made of the death of Elder John S. Wilson, August 28th. Also the death of Presley Alexander, August 30.
1836 - Dismissed four churches to form a new Association; Fox Run, Salem, Bethel, and Mt. Mmoriah.
1837 - Dismissed the Mt. Pleasant and Bethlehem churches to join the Middle District Association.
1839 - Admitted the Second Baptist Church in Louisville, constituted September 30th, 1838.
1840 - Resolved, That the organization of the American and Foreign Bible Society, in the judgment of this Association, appears to be in perfect obedience to the plain indication of the will of God.
Resolved, That as the resolution of the Board of the American Bible Society on the 17th of February, 1836, and the coincident action of the British and Foreign Bible Society, render it impossible for these societies, or the translators under their patronage, to give faithful versions of the word of God in any of the languages of the heathen, the responsibilities of the Baptist denomination are increased, and it becomes them to adopt, and to carry into vigorous execution, enlarged and liberal measures.
1841 - Resolved, That we regard the Georgetown College with deep interest, and consider it an instrument of great value in regard to all the interests of the rising generation.
Resolved, That we recommend to the churches composing the Association, to take measures to raise in each a sum equal to one dollar each, for every white member.
1842 - Admitted the East Baptist Church of Louisville, constituted January 1st, 1842, and the colored Baptist Church of Louisville, constituted in April, 1842, with four hundred and seventy-five members.
1843 - The request of the colored church in Louisville that their pastor to be received as a messenger to the Association, decided without debate. Yeas 30; nays 35.
H. Adams, pastor of the colored church, requested permission to make remarks, and asked whether the Association considered the colored church a member of their body. Motion made and seconded that we do consider it a member, in consequence of its acceptance of the proposition made last year in regard to being represented by letter and delegates chosen from the First Church. The motion was carried, and an affirmative answer returned.
1844 - Newly constituted church at Chenoweth's Run received as a member of the Association. Letter received from the Indiana Mission and Publication Societies, and referred to committees.
B. C. Stephens asked for information of the delegates from Second Church, Louisville, relative to C. C. P. Crosby, who was understood to be under ecclesiastical censure. After discussion, it was voted that a person under censure in his church cannot be allowed a seat in this body.
A Missionary Board appointed for the Association.
1845 - Difficulty in Bethel Church.
Resolved, That the brethren at Bethel be urged to call a council of brethren to settle the matter of difference between them.
Resolved, That the situation in which Covington Institution is, on account of the suspicion respecting its president upon the subject of slavery, this Association deems it an unsafe place to educate it rising ministry.
1846 - Motion to receive Bethel Church objected to by Buck Creek, Shiloh, and individuals from other churches.
Resolved, That the Association overrrule the objections and receive the church. Yeas 31; Nays 15.
1848 - Buck Creek Church recommended to call a council of brethren, and each party pledge itself to abide the decision of said council. Liberty Church withdrew to join Sulphur Fork Association.
1849 - Both parties at Buck Creek suspended from the privileges of the Association.
1850 - Resolved, That the Association now offer membership to both parties of Buck Creek Church, and in the event of one party neglecting, the other be received. The Waller party, as the Buck Creek Church, and the other party as the Second Buck Creek Church, each to be recognized as a church, and each guaranteeing to the other peaceable use of the meeting-house at such times as shall be agreed upon between them.
1851 - Agreed that the Association pay her clerk annually ten dollars for his services.
Permission given to discuss the subject of revision. Address by J. L. Waller.
1852 - Condition of Fourth Street Church, Louisville, referred to General Association.
Session of the Association changed to Tuesday after the first Friday in September.
1853 - Committee appointed to visit the Cedar Creek Church and inquire into certain injurious reports, &c.
Executive board appointed for Domestic Missions and German interest in Louisville; also Portland interest.
1854 - Jefferson Street, Louisville, and German Baptist Church, Louisville, received as members of Association.
Committee to visit Cedar Creek reported. Found nothing contrary to the teachings of the New Testament and the established usages of the Baptist denomination.
None but the names of delegates who are present to be published in the minutes.
Committee appointed to collate and revise the constitution of the Association.
[From Samuel H. Ford, editor, The Christian Repository, August, 1858, pp. 573- 580. Transcribed and formatted by Jim Duvall.]
Ford's Kentucky Baptist History
Baptist History Homepage