The Hebron Baptist Church was organized on the 5th Saturday in March, A. D., 1828, in a log school-house, situated on the Graham road, 7 miles north of Madison, Jefferson Co., Ind.
This Church was constituted with 14 members, to wit: Brethren Joseph Lame, Sen., James Wildman, Jacob Ryker, Patrick Humphrey, Robert New, Abraham Lewis, Jacob Bryant and Sisters Sarah Lame, Sarah Humphrey, Mary Lame, Grace Ryker, Ann Lewis, Mary Lewis, and Susannah New. Eleven bearing letters of dismission from the Indian Kentucky Church and three from the Mt. Pleasant Church.
The Church continued to meet once a month, in the School-house, until the year 1836, when they erected a permanent house, which is still used.
At the third session or the Coffee Creek Association in the fall of 1829, Brethren Jacob Ryker, Joseph Lame and Patrick Humphrey presented a letter from this Church, asking permission to join that body. They were received into that Association, in which she represented herself until the year 1832, when the Madison Association was formed by this and eleven other Churches, in which connection she still remains.
Jacob Ryker was the first Pastor of the Church; he was licensed to preach on the 5th Saturday in March, 1828, and ordained to the work of the ministry on the 3rd Saturday in April, 1830. Previous to his ordination, the Church was supplied by Elders Jesse Vawter and James Alexander, in the administration of the ordinances. Elder Jacob Ryker, after his ordination, continued his labors in connection with the Church until March, 1836. In May, 1836, Elder William Wallace became Pastor of the Church, and continued his labors until September, 1840. At this time, Elder Archie Smith took charge of the Church, and continued his labors until January, 1842. In the month of February, 1842, Brother William Wallace again took charge of the Church and served as pastor until October, 1843. Elder William T. Stott then accepted a call of the Church and commenced his labors January, 1846, and continued until July, 1847, when Brother William Wallace once more took charge. In May, 1848, Brother Isaac Christie accepted a call of the Church, and for the space of 4 years labored acceptably with tile Church as Pastor. Brother J. D. Griffith then served the Church for one or more years. In March, 1856, Elder Robert Stevenson accepted a call of the Church, and continued his labors until the summer of 1863, when, from impaired health, he resigned his labors with the Church. Elder T. D. George commenced his labors with the Church in May, 1863, and continued for the period of nearly six years, serving the Church with marked faithfulness. Elder Robert Stevenson being recalled on the 4th Saturday in June, 1869, resumed the pastorate of the Church and continued to serve until the 4th Saturday in May, 1872. Brother Isaac C. Stout was licensed to preach the 4tll Saturday in January, 1872, and served the Church until December 18th, 1873, when he was ordained to the work of the ministry. Elder Nelson Johnson (in April, 1874,) accepted a call as pastor of the Church, which position he still fills.
Brother Jacob Bryant was chosen first Deacon of the Church. On the 3d Saturday in April, ]839, Brother William Hinton was set apart to the Deaconship; also, Brother Thomas Hinton was chosen Deacon, and served until 1860, when Brother Augustus Humphrey was chosen ill his place. In May, 1854, Brother William Clinton was chosen Deacon, who served but one year, when Brother Geo. Wilson was chosen to fill the vacancy. In November, 1859, Brother William Hiatt was chosen. In May, 1865, Brother Granville Smitha was set apart to the office of Deacon, which office he still fills. At the same time, Brother Conrad Storms was chosen Deacon; he becoming too old and feeble to attend to the duties of the office, was, in 1869, released from duty, and Brother James Baxter was ordained a Deacon, which position he still occupies.
Since the first constitution of the Church with 14 members, there have been received by baptism, 298; by letter, 148; by relation, 26; total nember received, 472; dismissed by letter, 162; excluded, 27; died, 52; leaving, as shown by our Statistics, 101 members at present.
[From Madison Baptist Association Minutes, 1875, pp. 6-7. — jrd]
Indiana Baptist Church Histories
Baptist History Homepage