INDIAN STATIONS EAST AND WEST OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER
East of the Mississippi River
1. Valley Towns 1818
Rev. Evan Jones, Mrs. Jones, Mr. L. Butterfield, school teacher; Mrs. Butterfield. This station is among the Cherokees in North Carolina. Mr. Jones and his assistants have seven different preaching stations. The Holy Spirit still continues to bless their faithful labors, and sixteen have been added to the church since last February. The attendance is increasing. The church contains two hundred and eight members.
2. Tonawanda 1829
Rev. Roger Mad[blurred] and his family.
This station in the state of New York, is under a Board of Supervision, appointed by the Baptist State Convention. From twenty to twenty-five children are fed, clothed and taught on the premises. The church of thirty members, has a good meeting house, and regularly maintains public worship.
3. Thomas 1826
Rev. Leonard Slater, Mrs. Slater, Mr. R. D. Potts, schoolmaster; Mrs. Potts.
This station on Grand River, in Michigan. There are two schools, with thirty six scholars, temperance society, and a church of twenty five members, five of whom have been added this year.
4. Sault De Marie 1828
Rev. Abel Bingham, Mrs. Bingham, Mr. J. D. Cameron [? blurred], licensed preacher; Miss Hannah Hall.
This station is also in Michigan. There is a boarding district and infant school taught here with sixty pupils. The church, with two branches at Green Bay and Chicago, numbers fifty members in a well organized and flourishing state. The last accounts are encouraging.
West of the Mississippi River
5. Shawnee 1831
Mr. Jonathan Lykins, Mrs. Lykins, Rev. Isaac M'Coy, Mrs. M'Coy, Mr. Daniel French, Mr. Jona. Meeker.
This station is in the Indian Territory. Mr. Lykins in company with Mr. M'Coy has visited the last year many of the Indian tribes, conferring with them, and arranging plans for future usefulness. A printing press is here in operation, under the supervision of Mr. Meeker. A alphabet has been invented for the Chippawas, the Shawnees and the Delewares, and the elementary books compiled. Here, also, are conversions continually taking place. The number of the church is twelve.
6. Ebenezer 1831
Rev. David Lewis, Rev. David B. Rollin and family, Miss Mary Rice, Miss Mary Ann Colburn, Mr. John Davis, native preacher, Mrs. Davis.
This station among the Creeks, is not far distant from the Arkansas Territory, in the vicinity of Containment Gibson. Convenient dwellings have been erected. Mr. Lewis died here in the fall of 1833. At the last intelligence the church contained eighty members, and more were waiting to be baptized. The prospects were very encouraging of growing usefulness.
7. Cherokee 1832
Rev. Samuel Aldrich, Mrs. Briant.
At this station occupied among this tribe, a severe loss has been sustained in the death of Mr. Briant, its first superintendent and preacher. Mr. Aldrich has recently taken his place. Here is a flourishing church of over twenty members, and a school, whose number is unknown. Emigrant Indians are constantly coming in to settle, and hear the gospel.
8. Choctaw 1832
Rev. Charles E. Wilson, Sampson Branch, native preacher.
This station is at the Choctaw Agency. At the last accounts the school had been suspended by sickness, and the missionaries were devoting themselves directly to evangelical labors. The government of the Unites States has agreed by treaty to establish three high schools and twelve minor schools among the Choctaws, which will enlarge our brethren's [sic] sphere of usefulness.
(To be continued.)
[From R. B. C. Howell, editor, The Baptist newspaper in January, 1835, p. 13. CD edition. Transcribed and formatted by Jim Duvall.]
More American Indian Articles
Baptist History Homepage