Introduction: The Holy Spirit Is "the Vicar of Christ." Until the Lord Returns, the Spirit Has Charge of the Administration of the Churches.
I. THE HOLY SPIRIT GOVERNS THE CHURCH OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST.
A. The Lord's Church Has But One Head - Jesus Christ (Colossians 1:18).1. Any man who takes that place is where God hasn't put him.B. Notice This Fact By Looking At the Holy Spirit In the Book of Acts.
2. The Holy Spirit, as the Executive of the Godhead, has been sent to govern the churches while on earth.1. First, He appoints the human leaders over the churches (Acts 20:28). These men are to be "filled with the Spirit" (Acts 6:3).
2. Second, He helps a church to decide important cases of doctrine and practice (Acts 15:28).
3. Third, He selects men as missionaries (Acts 13).
a. He. sends them out (Acts 13:14).
b. He determines their field of labor (Acts 16:6-10).
4. Fourth, He rebukes, warns or encourages the churches. "He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches" (Revelation 2:17, 29, and 3:13).
a. In the Scriptures (letters to the churches), the Spirit is carrying on His ministry of governing the churches.
b. Each letter is authoritative because it is the voice of the Spirit unto the churches.
II. THE HOLY SPIRIT EQUIPS HIS CHURCHES.
A. Churches Today Must Function Through Human Instrumentalities.1. The Spirit calls men into this body (l Corinthians 12:13, 18).  B.The Spirit Gives the Word of God To His Churches.
2. The Spirit gives the needed spiritual gifts to them to enable them in the work of the Lord (l Corinthians 12:23-24).1. The Christian is compared to a soldier (Ephesians 6).  C. The Spirit Gives the Diversity of Necessary Gifts (Ephesians 4:8, 11-16).
a. Defensive implements are mentioned.
b. One offensive weapon is mentioned - the Word of God (Ephesians 6:17 and Hebrews 4:12).
2. From the Word, churches draw their instruction, creed, interpretation, practices, and all else.
1. The officers mentioned are gifts from God.  D. The Spirit Aids the Churches In Their Worship of God.
2. See also I Corinthians 12:10, 28-30.
3. Without the varied gifts, the body would fail and fall apart.
1. He assists in prayers, praise, adoration, and thanksgiving (John 4:23-24).
2. See Ephesians 5:18-20, 6:18; Colossians 3:l6; and Romans 8:26.
[Outlines in Systtematic Theology, p. 101.]
More Baptists On Various Subjects
Baptist History Homepage