November 1, 1809, a small, neat, plain place was opened for worship, in the populous village of Haddenham, lying between the market towns of Aylesbury, Bucks, and Thame, Oxon. Mr. Sutcliff of Olney, preached in the morning, from Acts viii, 8; Mr. A. Fuller of Kettering, iu the afternoon, from Hebrews iv, 2; and Mr. Cox of Clipstone, in the evening, from Revelation. v, 11, 12. Messrs. Clement of Tring, Dawson of Princes Risboro, and More of Beaconsfield, engaged in prayer. The services of the day were well attended, and the people were evidently much gratified.
It may be proper to remark, that about a century ago, there was a congregation of Calvinistic Baptists, who assembled in a place on the same spot with the present, which place has literally crumbled into ruins. The principal supporter of that place was Mr. Peter Tyler, and the present place was erected chiefly by the active exertions of his great-grandson, of the same name.
The Building is a plain neat place, without galleries or pews, 38 feet by 25, inside, and cost something more than £300. The liberal collections of the day, with the help of a few friends amouut to upwards of £150. The aid of other Churches will be very thankfully received.
It On Wednesday, November 8, 1809, a new Baptist Meeting house was opened at Hackleton, Northamptonshire. Public services commenced at 1/4 past 10 o' clock. Mr. Heighten of Road prayed, Mr. Sutcliff of Olney preached from Matthew vi, 10: Mr. Fuller of Kettering from 1 Peter ii, 1,2; Mr. Blundel, Jun. in the evening from Psalm lxxxvii, 5. The congregation was very
numerous, and appeared much interested in the solemn services of the day. A collection was made after the morning discourses. The gospel has been preached in this village about 40 years. W. Carey, D. D. of Serampore was first settled here, but the place in which the people met for worship was very small, and in other respects unsuitable. Influenced by the desire of glorifying God and extending the kingdom of Christ, they have erected a plain, neat, comfortable house, without pews, which, on as frugal a plan as they could adopt, will cost £400; towards this sum though a poor people, they have raised nearly £100. Their case is worthy attention, and will, it is hoped, meet with kind reception from the religious public.
Since last April, 25 persons have been baptized and added to the Church. They have no settled minister at present, but the prospect of usefulness is very encouraging. Many young persons attend and some of them are subjects of serious impressions.
[From The Baptist Magazine, January, 1810, pp. 42-43. Document from Google Books. Scanned and formatted by Jim Duvall.]
More British History and Circular Letters
Baptist History Homepage